Bug Reports v2.0 (READ OP BEFORE POSTING!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HypnoEmpire

Yokatta...
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rubeta-570701500
In this replay, Parting Shot let Persian-A switch out when in front of a Pokemon with Clear Body.

However, in this YouTube video, the Persian-A was denied the ability to switch when using Parting Shot against a Regice. It's at 7:50 in the video.

Idk if this is known or not but I didn't see any mention of it in the last few pages so here you go.

Scyther NO Swiping

Washed up former great
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
"Stomping Tantrum does damage. If the user's previous move triggers the message "But it failed!" or had no effect on any target, Stomping Tantrum's power is doubled to 150." ~ Bulbapedia http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Stomping_Tantrum_(move)

Stomping Tantrum doesn't appear to work correctly on showdown right now. After a move fails, it should double its base power from 75 to 150. But after trying it with several different moves, it never deviates from the standard power.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-571576772 - Base power stomping tantrum does approx. 36% to the amoonguss
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-571574783 - Stomping tantrum after protect fails does roughly the same amount
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-571559050 - Same case, but with attract instead

In all 3 replays the sets and stats are exactly the same between both pokes. Calc'd for proper damage stomping tantrum should be doing 63-74%. Top calc is default power, bottom calc is boosted to 150 base after a failed move.

252+ Atk Bewear Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 118-139 (31.9 - 37.6%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery (118, 119, 120, 122, 123, 125, 126, 127, 129, 130, 132, 133, 134, 136, 137, 139)
https://gyazo.com/080f71db388fbdd2b386d7118e046643
252+ Atk Bewear Stomping Tantrum vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 234-276 (63.4 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery (234, 237, 240, 242, 245, 248, 251, 253, 256, 259, 262, 264, 267, 270, 273, 276)
https://gyazo.com/b18fb2ad211ffd13733b1b72f189a3ec

You can replicate this with these sets if you want to see the exact results of the replays but you're more than welcome to try it out with other pokes and stats to similar effect:

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clear Smog

Bewear (F) @ Light Ball
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fling
- Rock Slide
- Protect
- Stomping Tantrum

breh

強いだね
For the protect case, literally the sentence after the one you copypasted,

If the user's previous move was blocked by a protection move such as Protect from any target, Stomping Tantrum's base power is not doubled.

Nope. He used protect to block an opposing move, then he used it again, but it failed, then he used Stomping Tantrum, which should have its power doubled due to protect failing on the turn before - but it had only normal power.

^
The previous move was not blocked by a protection move when it didn't double damage. And again, all types of failed move thus far that I've tested have not applied the damage buff

We actually know that Stomping Tantrum simply isn't implemented on Showdown. This is because we don't really know what constitutes a failed move. There are unfortunately all sorts of edge cases to think about:
  • If your opponent dies before your attack takes place
  • If your Toxic fails because your opponent is poisoned
  • If your Toxic fails because your opponent has some other sort of status
  • If your weather move fails because primal weather is active
  • If your recovery move fails because you are at full health
  • If your Whirlwind failed because your opponent has no other Pokémon
  • If you try to use the move Teleport
  • If you try to use Yawn on Komala
  • If you try to use Me First after your opponent
  • If you try to Sucker Punch against a status move or faster priority
  • If you try to Counter, Mirror Coat or Metal Burst without taking the appropriate damage
  • And many more...

I was in the middle of a VGC battle and noticed that water pledge isn't redirected by storm drain. I'm not sure if this is a mechanic or not (nothing online says that this should be possible, but idk).

NOTE: Change the extension of the files from .txt to .html to view them. I downloaded the replays accidentally instead of uploading them >.>

VGC Match: Decidueye was KO'd before it was able to combo with Primarina. I switch in Gastrodon the next turn and Hariyama is hit by flash cannon + water pledge despite Gastrodon having storm drain.

Test Match: I tested a few conditions for the pledges to see how they behave VS Gastrodon. Yet again, water pledge ignored storm drain's redirection, but it still activated if gastrodon was targeted directly.

Attachments

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, I posted this here almost three years ago, and I don't think I ever got a response to it. But due to some discussion I was having earlier today, it came up again, and I checked and I don't believe anything has changed since I last posted it:
Ok, so I think this qualifies as a bug, though I'm not actually sure. Either way, I brought it up on #showdown the other day and got no response, so I thought I'd post it here.

Basically, I believe there is an issue with egg move illegalities. Now, for the most part, such illegalities are a thing of the past, but that is not entirely true. The change this generation was that females can pass down egg moves as well as males, and as such, any illegalities caused by needing two different species as the male parent are now eliminated. But there are two other cases where egg moves can be illegal together, and nothing has changed regarding those this generation. As such they should be still illegal. However, as of now, such combinations are legal on PS. Now, of these two, one is purely theoretical, as no illegalities involving it exist. But the other is actually real and relevant.

The first (and actually important) one of these is the case of baby Pokemon. For many of these, it is possible to hatch both the baby, and its evolved form from eggs, depending on held items. Additionally, these evolved forms may have different egg move lists from the babies. In certain cases, there may be moves on each list that are not on the other. These moves should be illegal with one another. To give an example, Azurill has the moves Fake Tears and Sing as egg moves, but Marill does not. At the same time, Marill has Amnesia and Aqua Jet as egg moves, but Azurill does not. Thus, if you were to breed Aqua Jet onto a female Marill and then breed it with a male Clefairy that knows sing, you would have one of two results. If Marill is holding Sea Incense, then an Azurill would be born. It would know Sing, but not Aqua Jet, since that is not an egg move of Azurill. Alternatively, if it was not holding the incense, a Marill would be born, and it would know Aqua Jet, but not Sing, since that is not an egg move for Marill. In any case, the two moves will always be illegal with each other.

To put it more simply, the change in egg move passing has indeed made all egg moves of a given Pokemon legal together (baring the odd case below), but not all egg moves of a given family. Moves exclusive to one member of a family's egg list are illegal with moves exclusive to another members egg list. However, that is not currently the case on PS.

Now, while I know this is unimportant (at least at the present moment), as long as I am talking about it, I might as well mention the other, theoretical case: Volbeat. Volbeat is all male, but can be hatched via eggs from an Illumise. However, Volbeat and Illumise have different egg move lists. As such, if there existed two moves on Volbeat's egg list, but not on Illumise's that could not be passed down from a single male parent, then it would be impossible for them to be legal together, as the female Illumise could not hold onto the move for passing. Now, as it currently stands, the only egg moves Volbeat has that Illumise does not can all be passed down at once from Spinda. However, should there ever be a future case where Volbeat gains an egg move that Illumise does not have and Spinda cannot pass, illegalities would come into existence (technically, this is also the case with Nidoran-M, but since that is in the field egg group, it has Smeargle to eliminate all illegalities).

Anyways, this came up since we were talking in #cap about the potential for move illegalities now that egg move stuff changed, since they can have important competitive implications. While I'm not sure there is anything important being allowed now that should be illegal, since the idea came up, I just figured I'd drop it here.
Am I crazy or is this the kind of thing that should be marked illegal on validation, but is not?

Also, on a related note, while looking at other illegalities stuff, I think I found another kind of case where the validation check is failing: past gen exclusive moves with illegal egg combinations. Obviously nowadays a Pokemon can have any two of its egg moves together legally (except as noted above). However, this requires it to have been hatched in gen 6 or 7, meaning that if it possesses any move that could not have been acquired in gen 6 or 7, it must still apply old egg move illegalities. As an example, Charmander has both Belly Drum and Metal Claw as Egg moves, and so, of course they are legal together. However, it can also learn the move Headbutt, which was only available for it as a Tutor back in 4th gen. As such, any Charmander with Headbutt must have been hatched in a 3rd or 4th gen game. Now, back in 4th gen, it still had Belly Drum and Metal Claw as egg moves. However, Belly Drum is only available via Snorlax, while Metal Claw only via Aggron's family. As only male parents could pass moves at the time, the combination of Belly Drum and Metal Claw would be illegal. Therefore, it should be impossible to have Belly Drum, Metal Claw and Headbutt all on one set, since any set with Headbutt must follow the gen 4 egg move illegality rules. However, a set with all three of these moves on Charmander is validated as legal on PS.

To put it in more general terms, Pokemon with moves that are only obtainable prior to 6th gen should be checked for egg move illegalities from the generation they must have been hatched in, and it does not seem like they are.

EDIT @ below: darn it, I thought that was one where this situation would come up. Had to go through a few other potential options before I found one I thought worked, but I guess not. And now that I think I found one that would be the case (Beat Up over Metal Claw) the validation is working correctly and calling it illegal.

That said, the part from my quote is still relevant, and more competitively pressing.

Last edited:

breh

強いだね
iirc a lot of legality issues are hard coded; most of these edge case legalities aren't all that pertinent to competitive play so it's easier to patch out the stuff that's actually relevant

also this is beside the point but metal claw / bd / headbutt charmander is 100% legal - breed bd, level metal claw in frlg, and transfer to gen 4 to teach headbutt.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lastwill-571783994

Final moves not doing damage on several occasions
Many effects, such as multi-hit and phasing moves, are coded not to happen after you faint, in order to properly handle Rocky Helmet/Rough Skin/Iron Barbs damage. The coding doesn't bother to check why you fainted, just that you did.

I was in the middle of a VGC battle and noticed that water pledge isn't redirected by storm drain. I'm not sure if this is a mechanic or not (nothing online says that this should be possible, but idk).
My understanding is that this is a mechanic, because of the way Pledge moves interact with each other.

On turn 21 in this hackmons cup battle freeze shock failed to charge. Is it just not supposed to charge if there is no one on the other side. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7hackmonscup-572014222
No, this is a known bug.

Magma storm apparently can't trap ghost types on PS!. I tested this with Gengar and Sableye, both were able to switch. I'm pretty sure this is not reflecting the ingame mechanics, but I couldn't test it because I don't have a Heatran on S/M.
replay vs. Gengar: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-570789474

Could anyone test this/verify that it's actually working correctly on Showdown?

Magma storm apparently can't trap ghost types on PS!. I tested this with Gengar and Sableye, both were able to switch. I'm pretty sure this is not reflecting the ingame mechanics, but I couldn't test it because I don't have a Heatran on S/M.
replay vs. Gengar: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-570789474

Could anyone test this/verify that it's actually working correctly on Showdown?
Ghost types can't be trapped by any means

Whenever I set EVs for two of my Pokemon it resets them or removes some of them even though I make sure to set them properly so nothing goes over or anything like that

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 13)