SM OU OU Team: Seed Hawlucha - Got Me to the 1900s on the ladder EZ!

S1nn0hC0nfirm3d

aka Ho3nConfirm3d
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
The team:

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Volt Switch
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Poison Jab

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 8 HP / 248 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

The catch: Hawlucha is going to be OU lol callin it.

I was a lowly sub 1400s player in OU for years. Sometimes I would get lucky, sometimes I would use something busted like baton pass and I'd reach the 1700s, but never would I reach top ten... till now.

This team is both an accumulation of mons that I have always been comfortable with, and new strat that I can see gaining popularity: terrian seed Hawlucha.

The problem with the ability unburden in a meta without gems is that it is difficult to use your item immediately, leaving for awkward speeds and sets to try and get the boost. Electric seed with Tapu Koko solves all these problems.

Ok so mon by mon breakdown:

1.) Hawlucha - This mon is fantastic in OU in general. With pheromosa banned, many teams dropped their solid fighting counter. Hawlucha's stabs complement each other perfectly, and help Koko with mons like AV Tangrowth and Chansey. It immediately gets +1 defense and a ridiculous 610 speed. I originally had minimal speed investment and full bulk, but this speed helps with other outrageously fast speed tiers like rain Kingdra and scarf koko, and the missing bulk didn't matter.

You can easily set up a swords dance against mons like Lando, Exca, Tangrowth, Bulu, Scizor, Garchomp, and more. At plus two, you can't sweep everything, but you can still clean up a lot. In my experience, wait to set up and sweep, as you only get one unburden boost. Make dents with Medicham and Zygarde, and keep Koko alive; that will help guarantee the win.

Poison Jab is the last move, as it does around 70% to Tapu Koko. This suprisingly has saved me a lot, as you'll find players relying on their Koko to revenge kill. With a few rock switch ins and chip, an unbooseted jab kills. Boosted, it kills completely at full health. The only other move worth mentioning is Stone Edge for Zapdos, but that only does ~45% unboosted, and boosted you still need rocks up to kill. I choose Poison Jab because it is more likely for me to actually KO a Koko with it compared to edge with Zapdos.

This is the star of the team, but not necessarily the win condition. After just one swords dance, I only count Skarmory, Zapdos, Toxipex, and Unaware mons as your counters. It can set up and kill so much of OU it's scary. Hands down the mon and set that got me to the 1900s.

2.) Tapu Koko - My koko is pretty orthadox, but no magnet. Again because of coincidence, I swapped magnet out for Electrium Z because I had no Z move, and then Tbolt for Thunder. This simple change was revolutionary to my team; look at the calcs this thing can do!
>252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Heatran in Electric Terrain: 348-411 (90.1 - 106.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
>252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 228+ SpD Jirachi in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (66.5 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
>252 SpA Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (185 BP) vs. 248 HP / 20 SpD Rotom-Wash in Electric Terrain: 339-400 (111.8 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Gigavolt Havoc Tapu Koko is severely underrated. No one expects it, and it hits so hard and needed. Thunder may only be 10 bp higher than tbolt's gigavolt havoc, but I like thunder better than tbolt even after the z move. Its either that volt switch is doing the same thing as tbolt, or neither of them are strong enough. Thunder hits so hard, has a huge chance to paralyze, and it's accuracy is the same as focus blast, so I don't see why not to use it.

Keep Koko alive at all costs until the Hawlucha switch in, but dont be afraid to still use him. If Hawlucha falls short, hopefully it already hurt enough that Koko can help clean up.

3.) Excadrill - Mold Breaker stealth rocks and toxic is a blessing. Almost always lead this mon, unless the team has a ferro, at which point lead Medicham. Lemmie give you a few match ups:
>Landorus: Very common lead, heres what you do: 1) set up toxic, 2) set up rocks, 3) try to spin / die. No matter what set the run, you usually get three turns off, and both players have rocks. But now their lando is crippled and even easier to set up on latter, and if your lucky you will be the only one with rocks up.
>Mega Sabeleye: TOXIC. Immediately. Stall players just LOVE to mega their sabeleye right away; I have ALWAYS been able to toxic their sabeleye turn 1 / 2. Its so worth it.
>Everything else: Play as is.

This team doesn't mind hazards on your side that much, so spinning should be earlier and a luxury, not a necessity. Also, try acting like its a scarf for a good bluff.

4 - 5.) Mega Medicham and Zygarde - I clumped these two together as they serve the same purpose; they are so easy to use / send in, and do massive damage. These mons will help you clear the way for Hawlucha, and act as checks for many threats and walls. Both are just as integral, but dont be afraid to sack one if you need to.

Medicham is fast, and nothing wants a stab high jump kick. Fake out is better than coverage in that the priority and chip damage is needed, and ice punch is good enough anyways. Zen Headbut is for the bulky poison types like mega Venu and Toxapex, and I prefer it better than a Electric Terrain Thunder Punch honestly.

Zygarde is standard, so eat your heart out with Thousand Arrows. The kicker here tho is toxic. Banded Zygarde only needs his thousand arrows, outrage, and extreme speed, so why not have toxic to punish the obvious switch in to Tangrowth, Tapu Bullu, Buzzwole, or Mega Hera? I've greatly benefited with toxic on this set, and banded over any other as to have that immediate and awesome power (needed for priority espeeds sometimes).

6.) Keldeo - Kelds is my scarfer and my gren check, and i couldn't ask for more. This set is standard and exactly what I want in my scarfer. A third fighting type may sound redundant, but it's exactly needed. This mon is faster than all the 100 and lower base speed scarfers, which is so useful. Icy wind over hp is is great because neither can OHKO dd Zygarde, but at least icy wind lowers speed and stops the sweep.

Conclusion:
This team is the best team I have ever made, I have never had a team that suites my play style so perfectly. I hope it garners the same love that I adore it for with the public, and I'm open for advice and feedback if you see any flaws.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)