SM OU My "I have no idea how this team is winning" Zam/Lele Team (1500+ ELO)

Let me preface this by saying I am by no means a good Pokemon player. I've traditionally used other people's teams to play casually when I'm bored (procrastinating from schoolwork.) However, I had some spare time and I wanted to build around M-Alakazam and abuse him under Psychic Terrain provided by Lele. This is my first RMT so bear with me here.

Teambuilding

Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Wanted to build a team around M-Alakazam because Rain Dance teams were getting me mad and watching M-Zam Trace a Swift Swimmer is the most hilarious thing ever. Psychic is obvious and under Psychic-terrain it absolutely demolishes teams once Dark Types/Scarfs are taken care of. Shadow Ball was mostly for M-Metagross but it's still useful for Lele, A-Wak and Jirachi. Focus Blast because I absolutely hate Heatran. Substitute to prevent statuses due to all the switches Zam forces it gives me a safety blanket to launch another Focus Blast when the first one inevitably misses. Strongly considering adding Dazzling Beam over Focus Blast/Shadow Ball but requires more testing.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Specs Lele to provided Terrain and to act as a stupidly strong Wallbreaker. Psyshock to play around Sp. Def. Walls, Moonblast for STAB, HP Fire for Ferrothron and Shadow Ball again for Psychics. T-Bolt over Shadow Ball since Zam already covers Ghost coverage is an option for Skarm and Celesteela in case Magnezone can't take care of them.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone serves two purposes; eliminates pesky steel types for Zam and Lele and with AV and naturally high defenses it also serves as a valuable pivot. HP Fire is obvious, Flash Canon for STAB, T-Bolt for power and Volt Switch to pivot. Went with Max HP to maximize bulkiness so it still serves a purpose even if no Steel types are present on the opposite team.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Standard Lando. Acts as a Hazard Setter, a pivot, a defensive check and punishes physical attackers with Rocky Helmet. Rocks is obvious, EQ for Stab, HP Ice for other Landos and U-Turn for momentum. Not much to say here, although Lando's role is extremely important on this team because **** Heatran.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

This was the hardest member for me to decide on. This was originally Banded Hoopa (with Scarf Lele) but I realized he wasn't adding much to the team. After a +2 Lando destroyed my entire team I decided I wanted another ground resist so I went with Banded Buzzwole. That yielded good results initially until I realized it added to my Heatran weakness. It wasn't until I came across KuraiTenshi26's RMT (http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...ychic-spam-feat-adamant-band-zygarde.3603967/) that I realized we share a common core and that Scarf-Keldeo helps with Lando, Heatran and Charizard-Y. Thus I changed Scarf Lele to Wallbreaker Lele and added this beast to my core. Scald because of accuracy and Burns. Secret Sword for STAB and Heatran. Icy Wind for Lando, Zygarde and Flying/Dragon types. Stone Edge for Charizard and Volcarona.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Aura Sphere

This is probably my favorite Pokemon of all time (sorry Gen 6 Belly Drum Azumarill.) This isn't my set and was posted by a member here who posted a Dual-Rocks Team that I'm having trouble finding. All credit goes to him.

If you weaken your opponent's team enough Magnearna can legitimately go 1-on-5. Fairium gives you a Fairy nuke that at +1 even the sturdiest Steel Types kneel before you. Flash Canon gives you a STAB and Aura Sphere gives you a way to deal with Steel types. If you can pick off a weak mon with TR up and a Z-Move in your pocket your opponent might as well click X. Psychic Terrain is also up? Your opponent might as well unplug their Internet cord.

Threats:

-Heatran definitely hurts since I have to rely on Focus Miss and Magnezone can't eliminate it. Although a +1 Magearna, Keldeo and Lando are usually enough to handle it.

-Tapu Koko/Thundurus with HP Ice: My only electrical resist is 4x weak to the common HP Ice those two usually run. Magnezone is crucial as long as those two are around although if Thundurus runs Focus Blast I'm pretty much screwed. I have to pray I can weaken Thundy enough that Stone Edge takes it out.

-Mega-Sableye: I hate that thing. Stall in general is pretty difficult. I guess Alakazam with Taunt/Dazzling Beam would help a lot.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks for reading guys.

Hey man, cool team! Great to see someone building around the core Mega Alakazam + Tapu Lele, always fun to play with. Now onto the rate.

I've noticed that your team is quite weak to Protean Greninja, assuming it's the standard set with HP Fire, as it can 2HKO/OHKO everything on this team by selecting the appropriate coverage move. As you already mentioned, fast Electric-types such as Tapu Koko and Thundurus are also an issue, as you lack a solid switch-in outside of Magnezone, which can be beaten by Focus Blast or otherwise easily pressured. Gengar can kinda just spam Shadow Ball against this team and quickly wears stuff down, while Mimikyu can be a real threat if Psychic Terrain isn't up. Heatran, particularly the Bloom Doom set, is tough for you to deal with, as Keldeo can't switch into it reliably. Finally, stall is a really tough matchup for this team, Mega Sableye in particular is quite tough for you to break.

Suggested changes

Fairium Z -> Assault Vest: Trick Room Magearna is a cool set, but it doesn't really synergize well with the fast, frail attackers like Mega Alakazam. This change also gives you a solid blanket check to a number of special attackers that your team otherwise really struggles to deal with. With Assault Vest, Magearna is able to switch in and force out Pokemon like Gengar, both Greninjas, and Tapu Koko.

Assault Vest -> Chople Berry lure: Assault Vest Magnezone honestly kinda sucks atm, since it doesn't really check much and tends to get overwhelmed easily. Also, you now have AV Magearna, which in my opinion does the job better on this team. With a Chople Berry, Magnezone is able to take care of Focus Blast Thundurus, which you said was an issue, much better. Mirror Coat allows you to surprise stuff like Hoopa-U when they try to Focus Blast. This also gives you a secondary way of dealing with opposing Focus Blast Tapu Lele and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam if Magearna goes down. You also currently lack a Water resist outside of your own Keldeo, so this set allows you to lure in and eliminate opposing Keldeo.

Hidden Power Fire -> Focus Blast: This is a more minor change, but still an important one in my opinion. You already have Magnezone for Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor, so making this change makes the Heatran matchup a lot easier for you, as you can catch it with Focus Blast on the switch. This also helps a bit vs the rare Excadrill.

Shadow Ball -> Dazzling Gleam: You already brought up this as a possible change but I just wanted to say its definitely a lot more useful on this team. The ability to lure in and KO Mega Sableye helps the stall matchup immensely. You already have Magearna / Magnezone for Lele anyway, Alolan Marowak is KOed by Shadow Ball after rocks even without Psychic Terrain up, and Jirachi is pretty rare and already trapped by Magnezone.

Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Magnezone @ Chople Berry
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 132 HP / 252 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Fire
- Mirror Coat
- Flash Cannon

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 28 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Stone Edge

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

That's all I've got, good luck with the team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)