Pokémon GO

I'm nearly 100% sure you're trolling at this point. Spoofers do not make the game unplayable at any extent. I live in San Francisco, (the spoofhub if you didn't know), and for every 20 man raid, I can maybe see 1 person in site. Do i bitch to no end?

so? spoofers doing raids? was I talking about those? no, I'm talking about the ones that are knocking honest legit players out of gyms 10 minutes before they earn anything. which is FREQUENT.. you get rid of one, you get another, that can not be caught by the system as they will be flagged legit, therefore I report them with proof, Niantic block them from gyms... gg.

the difference between spoofers doing this and raids, is the effect they have had on the local area... I see a lot less people taking gyms now, because of how aggressive one spoofer played, local gyms lasting over a day now, they used to change 2-3 times a day before spoofers.
how is it Bitching, all I see is EXPLAINING and putting an idea down..

that can not be caught by the system as they will be flagged legit, therefore I report them with proof, Niantic block them from gyms... gg.

"gee i have a great idea guys! let's, instead of punishing spoofers severely, let's make sure that they are forced to move to other areas of the world and make them someone else's problem!"

you get rid of one, you get another
"but my system won't work because if i move one spoofer out they'll come back anyways"

ok it's time to be blunt. This system will work in no way. it is the dumbest solution to stopping spoofers that I have heard in the last year, and you don't seem to comprehend why. Instead, let's look at what does work.

Overlay Detection

This isn't available on iOS for the following reason:
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 5.15.26 PM.png

however, it is easy to detect any joystick-type overlay for android devices.
Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 5.16.49 PM.png

This is key. Straight-Lining will not be flagged as "legit", and is a much better system than reporting. Niantic looking at reports of "someone took my gym and i couldnt see anyone" is not working at all. 99% accuracy? more like 40% False Positive much??

Granted, checking for straightlining will also not be perfectly accurate. However, paired with checking pokemon origin locations, history of softbans(every spoofer makes mistakes), any history of botting, logging in on 3rd party apps, using old API's, and such, you can come very close to detecting a spoofer. In certain cases, manual review might be necessary.

What should niantic do?

In Ingress, niantic straight banned every user caught cheating. note: Caught. A good spoofer will not be caught, not without overlay detection, and no, there will never be a perfect method. However, Niantic can:

- Warning: You've all seen the warning sign, threatening to ban.
- Temporarily Ban: I'm not talking about softbans, i'm talking about weeklong, maybe monthlong bans. Spoofers make an indefinite percentage of the playerbase, and realistically, they want to keep the remaining 5 million players they has left.
- Permanent Ban: This is the extreme. Doing so might eliminate and scare other spoofers away, with the tradeoff of much less players.
- Gym Ban: This is not "gee let me ban spoofers from certain gyms!" this is "Let's use basic competence and ban spoofers from ALL gyms."
- Crossout: Pokemon with red lines. Self Explanatory.

Final Note: when is it ever necessary to have your pokemon in gyms for over a day? in your words, changing teams 2-3 times a day is the IDEAL turnover rate for every gym, and every player

the problem was the spoofers knocking stuff out at 11:30pm then hogging the entire area for 2-3 hours... ANYONE who took the gyms got knocked out in minutes.

and my idea is NOT moving spoofers to other areas, one of the ways the detection works right now for the warning is multiple teleportation, the way the spoofers are behaving right now, they are sticking to close gyms, so they don't teleport, they act like normal players, even some some sophisticated play from 1, who was communicating with a car driver to time placement and movement for a time, to get 2-3 accounts in (clocked that, aggressively removed them from the gyms because of the timings they spoofed back.. busted), so yea, while I would like a blanket ban, false positives are an issue then, imagine getting wrongly banned from every gym, a Legitimate player would still go to other gyms legitimately.. so won't get flagged, a Spoofer having to go out further would risk getting caught by Niantics anti-cheat.. so no it isn't fobbing off the problem, it is about getting it right, spoofers are moving legit players to other gyms as well.

yes 2-3 times a day was fine before, but as I said, various aggressive play from spoofers, (they also came around at 8am.) wrecked everything, we had that perfect gym as well changes hands once a day, perfect 50 coin gym.. spoofer wrecked that completely as they were knocking out my teams stuff before midnight, instead of yellows taking it in the daytime and our team overnight.
while you say it is fobbing off spoofers... I have lost all the tunrover gyms because of it.. which means.. going to find some other gyms to get turnover from, so you say it is sending spoofers somewhere else, I am forced to take other gyms as well, either load up 6-7... or take other ones I usually ignore, so now that one spoofer is moving players to other gyms, creating an issue for other players, plus I had to go from a few gyms to taking 6 or 7, just to make sure I had at least 1 to get me to 50.. now they are gone, it is back to the few around me and the badge gyms.

now that spoofer has gone another one is semi-infrequent and low level so gets blocked, by Blissey, but the damage is there to see... before the spoofer there was at least 1 switch a day on the cluster near me.. now at least 1 lasts over 24h (fine by me, saves me some effort).
to answer your question, when it necessary to hold a gym for longer then 24h? for the badges, If i want to earn badges the best way right now is to be in the gyms for as long as possible, especially on my commute route, where raids, and "gym under attack" have been stopping me getting in one gym for 2 weeks... (2 weeks sat there so close to silver...)

Grumpig

About this 'straight-lining', I don't think that's true. I've seen plenty of YouTube videos in which spoofers use a joystick. But using a joystick doesn't make you go in a 'straight line'. Using a joystick allows you to walk however you want. It allows you to play the game as if you are actually walking.

Another thing spoofers do is teleporting. And that is also not 'straight-lining'. It literally just teleports you from point A to point B.

The only thing that would qualify for 'straight-lining' would be the 'walk from point A to point B in X amount of time' option. And I have never really seen someone use that. Everyone just uses the teleport option.

Last edited:
I have seen more then that, as I said, I have seen someone in a car, just 1 person, at night, no phones.. but communicating... 2 accounts going in when the car is driving around, BUT 40 berries being fed, then one of those accounts returning AFTER the car has long gone, again see it, and following the same pattern, 2 of us at different locations have observed the spoofing as well, next town over 4 accounts were getting put in, they have gone now, and only seen 1 account in raids.

my point is exactly that, the Joystick is being used, I did think about a solution where you would ban them from all gyms, but if someone got wrongly banned, they are stuck, whereas a small area ban would mean joystick players have the problem of needing to get to other gyms further out.. it is basically a very sneaky way of getting spoofers to fall into traps, I have played games for 15 odd years, cleverness always beats cheating, and controlling the play is how you get the results (there is a reason I have a spoofer trap gym ;))

Nah, YouTube spoofers are usually fine, but it's the kind of spoofers who do spoof semi-locally, in which they select their destination, and press "walk" at x speed. While the drive might take me 15 minutes, a spoofer at "car speed" would do it in 6.

Teleporting is also pretty relevant, yeah, but you can only do it once every 2 hours. Living in a spoofer community, i've seen all the ways

edit: it is also suspicious when people cut through multiple blocks in a residential area, rather than sticking to the roads

well they must have a way to detect it or they wouldn't be flagging accounts.
I see. But the only way accounts are flagged now is the 'red cross' thingy, right? And even then, I think that only goes for people who bots. Because I just watched a YouTuber who spoofed all around the world to get his entire living dex and he didn't get any bans/flags whatsoever, so #niceone Niantic.

I meant to tag Grumpig. Sorry phalanx

But really, is there ANY way for Niantic to detect and/or know this? I strongly doubt it.
not really, lmao

red slash is currently only for botted pokemon, caught through an illegal API

edit: flagged spoofer accounts seem to be because each spoofer is using a different copy of the game, from what I hear

Last edited:
read previous edit, but it appears there's a way to detect android spoofing(not all of it, so it might be due to weird travelling, we don't know)
another way is that they're detecting that someone isn't using the vanilla game, and instead an altered version(what caused the warn message previously was either botting or logging in to direct iv checkers)

read previous edit, but it appears there's a way to detect android spoofing(not all of it, so it might be due to weird travelling, we don't know)
another way is that they're detecting that someone isn't using the vanilla game, and instead an altered version(what caused the warn message previously was either botting or logging in to direct iv checkers)
Ahhh I see. And do you the exact reason why Niantic is able to check so much on Android, but can't check anything on iOS? I'm quite curious now.

iOS doesnt allow people to take information like that from their phones, which is what's stopping them iirc. there was a more formal term but that's the base line

iOS doesnt allow people to take information like that from their phones, which is what's stopping them iirc. there was a more formal term but that's the base line
Damn, really? That means that all these cheating fuckers with iOS around here bragging about their 20+ sniped 100% IV Tyranitar can keep running rampant without any repercussions... :(

every game will have cheaters man, enjoy it as it is and let the company do it's best
True that. I'm just afraid that it will completely ruin the eventual trading and PvP modes in this game. I mean, for now we basically play for our own (for the most part) so the actions of cheaters don't affect us as much. But I hope trading and PvP won't get ruined because of this.

breh

強いだね
I don't think we'll ever have trading because it defeats the only real goal of the game.

I don't understand the desire for PvP because there is no strategy in Pokemon Go and no even playing field (i.e. one phone is much better than another). I also don't see the purpose, either - in the Pokemon games you play against other players because winning is satisfying; you think your way to a win (or luck your way, but w/e). In Go there is no point to PvP unless they offer items (which means that you can keep fighting somebody else - your sibling, your alt account, etc. to cheese the system). Else, there is practically no reason to care.

Else, there is practically no reason to care.
Yes, maybe for you. I personally would like to just do a battle or two when I'm at a friend's place, regardless of strategy. Just a battle like they work now, with improved dodging maybe. To me it doesn't have to serve a concrete purpose. It makes it accessible and fun to engage with other players and it keeps the treshold low. I mean, there's also no point in Magikarp Raids, yet they are in the game.

But to each his own of course. In the main games I also like to just wander around, serving no concrete purpose.

increased chance of shiny apparently.. all I get sub 82 junk...
and seriously wtf do Ninatic do? 2 pokemon come back from gyms 00:27 and 00:31 is this a joke? wtf do Ninatic use to track cheaters because it is IMPOSSIBLE to even cover that ground in 3 minutes.

breh

強いだね
increased chance of shiny apparently.. all I get sub 82 junk...
and seriously wtf do Ninatic do? 2 pokemon come back from gyms 00:27 and 00:31 is this a joke? wtf do Ninatic use to track cheaters because it is IMPOSSIBLE to even cover that ground in 3 minutes.
the chance of shiny is (afaik) the same as it usually is; it's just pretty much the only way to get magikarp for people that don't live near water or a lucky nest. I don't think I'll ever get the big karp badge in the next decade at the current rate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)