The Golden Compass movie SUCKED (spoilers inside)

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
What a fucking embarassment. They cut out every connecting sequence in the book that made it all make sense, and left only the action. And changed a bunch of things around for no reason. And switched the placement of two scenes near the end to make for a "better", non-cliffhanger ending. Did I mention they cut out all the explanation that makes the movie make sense? This isn't about philosophy like the book is, they just made it into pure, bloody, unexplained action. This isn't "Lyra grows and becomes a true leader", this is "Lyra goes off on completely random adventures for absolutely no reason whatsoever".

An example: In the book, there is a scene where Iorek tells Lyra to fence with him, where he shows her that it's impossible to trick a bear. This is important later on, when she faces Iofur, and she tricks him...and Iorek bestows upon her the name Lyra Silvertongue, for the completely impossible feat. This fencing scene was cut from the book. There is never any mention of bears being particularly difficult to trick, or Lyra realizing that she could trick Iofur because he wasn't being a bear.

Another example: There is absolutely no horror at the severed child. None. Lyra goes to some random house on its lonesome. Finds the severed child (who in the movie is BILLY COSTA what the hell). Takes him back. Nobody is horrified. Nobody shies away from him. Nobody says that this is an abomination unto God. Nothing. Nothing at all. Also, he doesn't die.

Another example: No mention is made of Will's father at all in the beginning. This is a huge deal in the Subtle Knife. Speaking of which, anything that could vaguely be important for linking to the second book was cut out.

And there are SO MANY MORE. AAAAAA.

I seriously cannot believe how they could take one of the absolute greatest works of modern fiction and make such a shitty movie.

Aye, I heard about this too. I was wanting to read the book because I heard that they killed God, but due to end-of-term essays and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, I haven't really had the time. It's a shame the movie turned out horribly though, it reminds me of the whole Eragon fiasco (though I assume that was done slightly better).

ARHGHGHHGHGH NOOOOO BRINGING NOTHING TO THE THREAD WITHT THIS POST BUT ARHGHGHH

Im still gonna see it

=(

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Yoshi King said:
I was wanting to read the book because I heard that they killed God
I hate that meme so much, because it's completely false.

Book 3 spoilers:
They do no such thing. Will cuts the cage of force that traps The Authority, setting him free and, in the process, killing him. Lord Asriel and Marisa Coulter, in an unrelated event, kill The Regent, who was the one actually in charge. These were FALSE gods. The question of the true creator, the true God, is still left completely open.

Read the books though, seriously. They are absolutely one of the greatest works of modern fiction.

I was considering watching the movie, but I don't want it to ruin my view of the book, so I don't think I will anymore.

I'm porobably going to see the movie tomorrow but that's a hell of a lot cut out ;;

lol'd at Billy Costa being the severed ghost though.

I think this may be the worst case of this since they made the Dune movie. I guess though that it really can't be helped. It's not economically viable for the movie industry to be making 6 hour long movies, especially when there will end up being a trilogy.

Still disappointed.

I watched the movie without reading the book, so I wasn't influenced by the differences between both and found the movie good to watch. A friend of mine however said a lot of important things were cut out leaving lots unexplained. I guessed it would be explained in the second movie release.

Surgo

goes to eleven
Pax Deorum said:
I watched the movie without reading the book, so I wasn't influenced by the differences between both and found the movie good to watch. A friend of mine however said a lot of important things were cut out leaving lots unexplained.
I think I could have let a lot of things go if the way they did the severed child wasn't so...bad. Having your daemon cut is quite seriously the most horrifying and abominable thing that any of these people can imagine, to the point where they are going to flee from and make the alternate-world version of the catholic cross thing at the child this has happened to.

Atlas said:
if you have never read the book, how was the movie?
Well, I would have thought it was just the random adventures of some little girl with no rhyme or reason. Also somehow she convinces the king of the bears of something stupid and somehow this is a big deal. But see my example on the fencing scene...

And, quite simply, if they ever make a second movie (probably not), a lot of stuff isn't going to make sense. For example: in the books, Iorek wasn't defeated in single combat. He slew another bear who was goaded by Iofur and banished for it. This is a subtle but somewhat important distinction for a reason that comes up in the second book for I reason I won't write here because spoilers of those who have only seen the movie, which I guess is going to be lost in the translation.
Nekada said:
It's not economically viable for the movie industry to be making 6 hour long movies, especially when there will end up being a trilogy.
How can you say that? They tried this for a fantasy book already (Lord of the Rings trilogy) and it was a massive success.

Well, In finished the trilogy in March.

I wanted to see the movie until you told me.

Let me say.

WTF, HOW CAN THEY RUIN SUCH A GREAT BOOK?

(BAN ME PLEASE).

I hope they swallow the money they stole then choke on it.

kthxbai.

God dammit, I knew in the back of my mind that this wasn't going to be good, but it's still depressing to see all these negative comments about it. I'm probably going to see it anyway, but I'm already slightly depressed about the whole thing. What a waste.

How can you say that? They tried this for a fantasy book already (Lord of the Rings trilogy) and it was a massive success.
Well, the LoTR movies were only 3 hours a-piece. Sure, they cut a lot out of them, but the books themselves were more action based. Also, forgive me if i've missed this, but as far as i'm aware there weren't any massive underlying themes in LoTR. It was just a straight-forward good vs. evil story. As such, parts could be removed because the explanation wasn't needed as much.

And on a much more vague note, how many 6 hour movies have you seen in the box office recently? The fact of the matter is, the books are dumbed down for the people who don't want to read. Even if the director wanted to portray the books the best that they could, they still have to compete with what the public wants to watch. Unfortunately, we've slipped as a culture into a place where mediocrity is the standard preferrd option and directors have to cater for this. This is why we have at least 2 new Rom-Coms a month: people can't handle having to think about why something is relevant.

I love these books, but because I believe the movie industry lacks integrity, i'm not letting the downfall of this movie bother me too much.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I've read The Golden Compass, and it was overall a pretty cool book. Movies have the unfortunate tendency to make good books into pathetic idiocies, though, so I wasn't too surprised.

I'm interested on reading this book (or the series if this is a series? I'm not informed enough). I do not know where I will be able to find it though, maybe i'll import them from somewhere. I haven't had anything new to read for a while and this seems interesting and addicting enough.

Surgo

goes to eleven
I don't think you'd need to import them or anything, they were written on the same continent that you're on!!!

Yeah, it's a series. The three books are (in order) The Golden Compass*, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. You're going to want all three of them before you start on them...huge cliffhangers ahoy in The Golden Compass (You are NOT what I sent for!) and The Subtle Knife.

I bought all three of them new from amazon.com for $8 total a couple months ago. They're probably still cheap there!

* The European version of The Golden Compass may be called Northern Lights.

Al_Alchemist

Physics and Math \O/
is a Past SPL Champion
Aye, I heard about this too. I was wanting to read the book because I heard that they KILLED GOD, but due to end-of-term essays and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, I haven't really had the time. It's a shame the movie turned out horribly though, it reminds me of the whole Eragon fiasco (though I assume that was done slightly better).
O.O! ZOMG! GASP! Im'a so watch the movie and read the book that comment seems like a wow! wow! wow! plot. What's the jaw punch your talking about basics? Anyways the severed ghost kid thing sounds pretty gross... im'a so read this book and watch the movie! I'm not aethiest so don't get mad at me. Alot of people are boycotting this movie already because they think it's promoting aethiesm or however its spelled. That's sorta stupid because who's going to be convinced to become athiest from a so called cruddy remake of a book movie?

P.S. Doomsday Mekkah please put those man boobs to yourself it's kind of hard to read your post when those giant things are staring at me... I feel sick...

^ crack? or ritalin?

luckily i have never read the books, i am going to go see this movie because the commercials presented it really well, then i will read the series.

ignorance is bliss.

What's the jaw punch your talking about basics?
Just watch the movie, man. Watch.

See, this kind of movie is exactly what I think is wrong with a lot of society today. People focus more on advertising and less on content. This is basically what Golden Compass is. No one can tell me those ads weren't awesome, or that you didn't see 50 million of them everytime you decided to watch a prime time drama, or adult swim cartoon or whatever. Just... depressing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)