Smogon Forums

Lady Vader
Lady Vader
Moffat's not that bad, honestly.
Kurona
Kurona
ech... after wedding it went all downhill for me. I just find it unbearable now.
Lady Vader
Lady Vader
He still did a better job with the Master than Davies. John Simm was unbearable.
Kurona
Kurona
Whateven. He was a perfect counterpart to David Tennant's doctor; the opposite yet the same in his relationship with humans and embedded into modern society and pop culture -- much like how previous masters had mirrored their doctor, such as Delgado to Pertwee. John Simm gave a performance that honoured the madness of the previous masters while bringing in something new to the mix that felt like a complete twist on the tenth doctor. He also had a clear defined goal and rivalry with the doctor.
Missy... gods, the only thing that saved her was her Actress, who admittedly put in a very good job. There was no explanation behind anything, no reason for her to be there, there was no focus around her; her being there just felt... empty.
Lady Vader
Lady Vader
I see what was attempted with the Simm Master, making him a counterpart to the Tenth Doctor, but I feel like they screwed it up. Especially in "The Sound of Drums"/"Last of the Time Lords". He really acted like a homicidal child most of the time.
Kurona
Kurona
But that's exactly what The Master's character is.
Lady Vader
Lady Vader
But with the way he acted, it is hard for me to believe that he could go from fake identity to Prime Minister of the United Kingdom ever, let alone in eighteen months. Delgado, sure. Ainley, possible. Even Eric Roberts is more likely considering we see him convince Chang Lee that he isn't evil. With that over the top performance, that's impressive. Simm just reeked of immaturity throughout. A far cry from the suave manipulator of Delgado and the almost friendly rivalry with the Third Doctor.