Smogon Forums

Electrolyte
Electrolyte
I just wanted to discuss with you some suggestions for changes on the Registeel analysis. First and foremost, I really feel like a RegenVest set needs to be added; such a bulky pivoting Regi set is pretty much the cornerstone of a lot of balanced / offensive teams. Adding a RegenVest set would also give a better reflection to readers of generally the kinds of roles Registeel is used for; as it stands the analysis only shows the support side of regi, and not the tank side.
Electrolyte
Electrolyte
Regi is a very common and very versatile pokemon, as im sure you know, so one would expect there to be quite a few sets that are given in depths analyses, especially since there are so many sets drifting around that people use. Im giving this advice, if not as a very experienced BH player, as an experienced QC checker, and even from my brevity in the tier I can tell that a Pokemon like Registeel definitely should be covered very in depth.
Uselesscrab
Uselesscrab
it's already in OO, but i suppose it could be considered for an analysis. i'll mention it in the qc conversation, or you can post about it in the analysis discussion thread; either way
Electrolyte
Electrolyte
A set like that would be Assvest + Regenerator, UTurn / Knock Off / Metal Burst / filler, with filler being stuff like Sacred Fire, Infestation, or even Nuzzle. We'd explain clearly that this kind of Regi takes up a remarkably different purpose as the others, and is usually found on very different kinds of teams, especially frailer offensive teams that need safe, slow, reliable pivot switchins.
Piccolo Daimao
Piccolo Daimao
I agree that Registeel should be covered in depth (and I promise I'll finish the analysis soon) but tbh I don't agree that regenvest is that great. It doesn't beat that much that the other two sets beat and has less of a purpose IMO. It's still 2hko'd by Earth Power/Magma Storm from Protean MMY (252 SpA Protean Mega Mewtwo Y Magma Storm vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Registeel: 176-210 (48.4 - 57.8%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO, 252 SpA Protean Mega Mewtwo Y Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Registeel: 158-188 (43.5 - 51.7%) -- 9.4% chance to 2HKO, and 252 spdef isn't the standard spread, and MMY often runs Life Orb)
Piccolo Daimao
Piccolo Daimao
In my opinion, regenvest isn't terrific in general in BH, especially on mons like Registeel because of the amount of status moves that everything gets and how an assault vest doesn't allow things to shrug off strong SE attacks from protean users
Electrolyte
Electrolyte
I think holding it up to Protean standards is pretty unrealistic, I mean unless you're something like Fur Coat Chansey or Mega Audino, you can never reliably say that you are fully protected against Protean Pokemon. Being able to beat Protean mons is a pretty high feat, and not one that RegenVest Regi is supposed to be used for. The point of RegenVest Regi isn't to be able to tank the big hits; that's a role p much only Chansey can play reliably
Electrolyte
Electrolyte
The point of AssVest is to make the moderate - weaker hits deal less damage so Regenerator can help heal Regi back up closer to full once it pivots, basically ensuring that a frailer yet stronger teammate can switch in at minimal residual cost for Regi. On the flipside you lose your support moves, but with things like Knock Off / Sacred Fire / Nuzzle, you can still retain some utility, PLUS it's the only set that can reliably run Metal Burst, which lets you check Proteans if you dont switch in or you swithc in on a resist.
Piccolo Daimao
Piccolo Daimao
I guess what I'm saying is that I don't really see what AssVest allows it to live that it wouldn't otherwise live (and is relevant in the tier).