Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
lol best comment, on the Rey one: "Can you make Ewoks the ruthless and brutal warriors they truly are?"

I would love to see an Ewok one lmao
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
it's not use man, just take that chip off your shoulder. even if you tell people to analyze and think they'll just point you to Plinkett or another reviewer who has analyzed it for them and then parrot that (not that I dislike the Plinkett reviews, because I do respect anyone who has done work and research and I agree with some of it). it's hopeless.

it's pointless to care about whether people like what you like or not, that just takes something you enjoy and turns it into something to fight over. basically turning a positive into a negative no matter how you spin it. instead of arguing about whether something was good or not you should just argue to let everyone enjoy what they wanna enjoy and stop bugging other people about not liking the same things.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
there is this user named mertyville who posts the dumbest shit in great library all the time but I do not take the bait, I just ignore and enjoy what I like without having to get into a fight about it
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I disagree, because people say stuff like this sometimes expecting people to praise them for it. Like "man, justin beiber is the worst artist ever" and then everybody in the room applauds u. But what if somebody is just "ok, can you explain why?"

I believe that everybody should make their own choices. I believe heavily in disagreeing with people, because I think that's how people should grow. Breaking somebody down so they can build themselves up stronger. Maybe its making a negative out of a positive but I prefer to pop people's bubbles of self hugging so they can turn into a bigger positive.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I didn't say I disagreed with that because I think everyone should have a good reason for the choices they make and the opinions they have. I agree with that 100% especially when it comes to little kids and politics because I know so many kids be like "I hate Obama!" and "I hate Trump!" and it's like why do you hate them, is it just because your parents hate them.

You know me better than most, I love to debate and argue for sport, but some people take it too far man. there is a point where you have already said all you have to say and it is no longer challenging, just annoying. like I respect your opinion on all of these things but I don't like it when you say The Force Awakens sucks because that movie makes my dick hard and I don't like when you complain about lag on Smash bros or how OP Cloud is or how dumb it is that Charizard has super armor on rock smash etc. there's a point where everyone has already said everything that can be said and it's a point where you are afraid to even mention something cuz u know some nig is gonna be repeating his opinion again even though everyone already knows it.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
for example whenever I read that stupid ass website cracked.com and they have a cool article about easter eggs you missed or certain behind the scenes secrets and they bring up the star wars prequels and they always have to say something like "if you were brave enough to endure the mess of the prequels you might have noticed" "we can understand if you missed this part because nothing in these movies made any sense" etc. like come on those jokes are just too easy and done to death.

the point is I say you might have a chip on your shoulder because you brought it up to me even though I never said I disliked the prequels or anything like that. I know it was just a passing comment but I could sense the anger beneath it trust me I am a Jedi master
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Yeah I agree tbh; 1. I have moved beyond charizard because I just took a deep breath and was like, yeah chill bro

and 2. i get rly mad at smash, because when stuff happens i know i have only myself to blame and when I cant do something I want to do I get down on myself but pls dont think im being needy hahah im not depressed at all rly trust me
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
And honestly yeah dude, I agree, I should chill a bit more

And I don't wanna be some kind of agressive SW prequel defender dude; I actually just saw a couple people arguing about the prequels and somebody said "Hayden christiansen's acting is GARBAGE!!" and the response was "actually, look at the script. It's the problem. Check out his facial expressions and his movement and his acting is actually really good". And posted that video in support. And I like the vid mostly because it shows what i rly love about star wars in that its a perfect sci-fi universe that seeks to build worlds and characters in ur heart. And I thought it would be cool 4 you to see.

But as an actor myself I feel rly sad for christiansen; like that movie RUINED his ENTIRE life for no reason. Like "Ewan Mcgreggor is such a great actor!" cause he is, but you look at his stuff in star wars and it's just horrible. "I have a bad feeling about this xD" or that stupid "come at me bro" move when he fights greivous or any of his one liners in AotC. But who's to blame?? lucas. The first thing you see of HC is probably the worst line in the entire series "I see you every night in my dreams" and it fucking ruined his entire life. But he was doin a good job.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
And while I was thinking of this I thought of some more stuff; the reason i dislike force awakens so much is exactly why you like it: it's a fun, good movie. As a movie it's good. It's fun to watch and is all good.

So when you ask somebody why the prequels is bad, they say "oh the script is rly bad (cause it is), the CG is just so dated, characters are stupid (jar jar)". And they're right. But the original trilogy has the same! Tosche station power converters, the entire ewoks, nien nubm, hell even the sound effects on the sand people are bad. But people can say that it's ok you see; the originals had such heart, and brought new stuff to the table, and pushed the limits of cinema, and were epic and massive in scale.

And the prequels had the same heart and soul made by lucas. But he was given a blank canvas to shit up the actual directing without people to keep him in check. So yeah they're actually bad movies but they still brought the same soul to star wars.

BUT!! Now look at force awakens. What new does it bring to the table? We have cloned planets, cloned plot, same star fights and same enemies doing the same stuff. Now, I agree! It's actually a funny movie. And the CG is such improved! But what is it setting out to do?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
People tell me that they agree with my points, but that TFA accomplished its goal of "making star wars cool again" and "setting up for episode 8". And im like what?? when was star wars NOT cool? It's been all the rage through the prequel years. And what, this was a 100 billion dollar teaser trailer? yeah right.

Basically the prequels and originals had the same goals: to build the greatest sci-fi universe the world had seen. And the prequels were judged by film standards--as they should have been, and were bad. But take off the nostalgia goggles and the originals had the same problem...so the prequels (maybe?) suceeed at what they set out to do, but failed at being good movies.

So, did TFA set out to be a blockbuster? Cause it sure proved that. It really could have been anything with this production value and marketing and it would be sucessful. But did it succeed....as a STAR WARS movie? I disagree. And that's what drives me up the wall. Judging all the movies on different playing fields is unfair to the ones you don't like. And I agree my rankings have personal taste in them, like why I don't like 6 even though it's really good, probably the second best of any "movies". But I digress.

My solution would be let lucas actually create the universe, and the plot, and then just give it to other people to make it not shit. But they didn't do that; they eschewed years and years of great art to make something simple, but very well done. A genius move.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
oh yeah, addendum:

""""So when you ask somebody why the prequels is bad, they say "oh the script is rly bad (cause it is), the CG is just so dated, characters are stupid (jar jar)". And they're right. But the original trilogy has the same! Tosche station power converters, the entire ewoks, nien nubm, hell even the sound effects on the sand people are bad. But people can say that it's ok you see; the originals had such heart, and brought new stuff to the table, and pushed the limits of cinema, and were epic and massive in scale.""""

and i AGREE with that 100%. That's why I love the originals too.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
wait were you actually mad about a freaking charizard lol like I can understand Cloud because he is op and stuff but charizard lmao

also you don't have to tell me twice. I freakin' love Hayden's look, especially in ep 3. the way I see it is the same as baneposting I mean we both love The Dark Knight Rises but making fun of Bane lines is the greatest thing

and yeah really nobody has a good performance in the Star Wars prequels besides Ian McDiarmid I SO HOPE HE COMES BACK IN ROGUE ONE PLS

and yeah I mean you know I told you before, Obi-Wan is my fav character but some of his lines are just garbaage. like my least favorite line in the whole series ever "Sith lords are our speciality" WHAT THE FUCK
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
glad we agreed dude; i just am saddened by christiansen cause he's probably a good dude. Plus I REALLY love star wars. So I have a superiority complex in that I think most people aren't as good a fan as me.

And nah I wasn't mad at zard just salty you know, but rly it doesnt matter dude.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Well, I just gotta be totally fair with myself. I grew up on the prequels and have a ton of nostalgia for them, and for a long time they were the only ones I really wanted to watch. Never actually saw the original trilogy in full until 2009 when I was like 12 (does that still count as young enough for nostalgia??)

Up until this year or maybe mid-last year, I secretly loved the prequels way more than the originals but like I was afraid to tell anyone. I knew all the extended universe stuff that was happening in the time period of those movies, I knew about the plots and all that so the "plot holes" and unexplained stuff didn't bother me.

But like earlier this year I was rewatching the original trilogy and...I just have to admit that they are amazing films and just way better than the prequels. Of course they are not perfect, and of course not being way better means that the prequels are bad. But like all my nostalgia-bias was towards the prequels and watching the originals, I just had to admit that they were so good. Like I legitimately think The Empire Strikes Back is one of the greatest films ever made. I know you like it so I don't have to go into detail about why it is so good. But like just a few weeks ago it was like I had an epiphany and I realized why Empire just works on every single level. A New Hope is still my favorite because it has Obi-Wan though.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Honestly, I agree there were some cheese lines, but they are very few and far between. I think the main problem with prequel cheese lines is that they happened in intense emotional moments, creating serious narm. Like Padme being like "ANAKIN, I LOVE YOU!!!" "LIIIIIIAAARR!!!" This is supposed to be a super serious moment, I mean this man has been driven to the point where he's gonna chokeabitch his own wife. But the lines kinda ruin that by taking away the seriousness of it. Compare that to the Tosche station line, which is really not important to the plot at all and is just during a busy scene where the focus is on buying droids. That's what I mean I guess.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
And I think we disagree on what Star Wars is. You're saying you want it to create the best sci-fi galaxy environment, so you didn't like TFA cuz it didn't add anything new in that regard. For me, it's all about the characters. Star Wars was originally supposed to be an archetypal hero's journey story and for me that's what I like most about it. Neither is wrong or right but that's what I want to get out of it. For me it's all about the characters. I said it in the TFA thread here that if a movie makes me like the characters and want to see what happens to them, then to me it is a good movie. I liked Rey, I liked Finn. I thought they had great chemistry and were very cute together and I liked seeing their adventures (I think they should've redistributed the stat points a bit, because Rey was a bit too competent and Finn was way too incompetent, but that's another topic). I thought Kylo Ren was a really complex villain tbh if you look beyond the emo shit.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
That's why I can forgive episode 6 for having those fucking Ewoks, because we had the AMAZING scene in the Death Star II with Luke, Vader, and the Emperor. When Luke is getting electrocuted and he's like "Father! Please!" that fucking gets me like a bitch every single time! The emotions are so powerful, and they were EARNED, because they were built up over three movies. Same when Darth Vader removes his helmet, notice he calls it a "mask" rather than a helmet. Either of these words are appropriate, but helmet is something used for protection whereas mask carries the main connotation of hiding your face, aka hiding who he really is, Anakin. Not Darth Vader anymore. I had another epiphany realizing that for a lot of people, that was the first time you ever saw Darth Vader/Anakin as a human. Growing up with the prequels, and seeing clips of the movies here and there, I always knew and didn't have that emotional buildup. But recently I realized how powerful that is.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
For the prequels, I can get behind the motivations and emotions of things, because I know what is supposed to be happening, I've read children's novels about Obi-Wan and Anakin's adventures as teacher and student, and I've watched so many behind the scenes videos where the process is explained. So I can kind of fill in what I'm supposed to be feeling, but does the movie really make me feel it? Honestly, I don't think the movies used their time efficiently enough to give us those emotional moments between Anakin and Obi-Wan until the very end of the third movie.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
That's probably why I think The Phantom Menace is so underrated. Like when little Anakin says to his mom "Will I ever see you again?" and he leaves and he has to look back and that music is swelling it is legitimately emotional!! Very sad! It's kinda funny though, even though I think The Phantom Menace is the best prequel, I'm not entirely sure if it wasn't better to cut it so that we could have three movies with a grown up Anakin since it's his story. Might have helped with his rushed turn.

I really like the prequels and I am glad they exist and can still watch them and enjoy them but just being honest to myself with no nostalgia involved (or at least waaaay more nostalgia for the prequels than the originals) I have to say the originals are just way better. But there's nothing wrong believing they are better unless you use it as a knock against the prequels, which I don't!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
that really ended up being a lot longer than I thought lol, sorry I am very passionate about these things!

please do not make your response equal length because I don't think I can keep up with this for much longer D: