Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Like I always thought "the park wasn't really doomed to fail like Ian Malcolm said, it was just because Nedry sabotaged. If he didn't do that, it'd be fine." It was a Yahoo News article of all things that made me realize it. But was it as hard for everyone else to figure out?
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
To be honest, it is easier to figure out reading the book than watching the movie. I am gonna explain it soon but I wanna know what you think 'cause I wanna see if it was as hard for everyone else to figure out
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Yeah the park was all chill. Lost world was a lil conspiracy tho
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
What does that have to do with what I am saying?
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Umm I don't think I get the chaos theme at all then. I agree it was not doomed to fail?
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Sweet, okay.

Well like I said, it's more obvious if you read the books. And I read this Yahoo article about an actual chaos theorist who was talking about it, and was saying that the Frog DNA doing weird stuff was a good example of chaos theory but the rest wasn't (not entirely sure if I agree with that though).

Basically, in the book it's more obvious because the park has way more problems, even before the main characters arrive. Like there's a part where they're shown the graph of the population and the curve shows a normal breeding population rather than spikes, which would be the case if they were being bred and then put into the population. There are also other issues like the dinosaurs getting sick and them not knowing what to do with them, because they are expensive so they don't wanna kill them and study them and such. Nobody really knows how to take care of dinosaurs, they just use other methods that are used to take care of other animals in zoos but it doesn't really work. Dinosaurs are getting sick and no one knows why. The main point is that there are way more problems in the book than are shown in the movie. The triceratops getting sick is part in the movie but it's very minor and is mostly a plot device to get Ellie away from the rest of the group.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Each chapter of the book has this illustration of this pattern with a quote from Ian Malcolm talking about how as the pattern gets repeated over and over, it no longer has a symmetrical or predictable shape, even though it is a pattern. Because it is too complex. At least that's how I understood it, I could be wrong though.

The main point is: it didn't matter that Nedry was the one who caused the system to fail. It was doomed to fail anyway. The point is that the whole system of Jurassic Park is too complex to survive. You have all of these animals that nobody knows how to take care of, bred via still-new and not fully understood cloning techniques, that are essentially hybrids (so their DNA is also complex and not completely understood) running with all the technical issues of having housing, communication, power, computer system, with a bunch of employees and eventually, going to have thousands of guests, all of which could do something stupid.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
If it wasn't Nedry that screwed the park, something else would have screwed it later on down the line. There were just too many variables that have to go 100% right for it too work. Since it's so complex, just having one variable changed from that 100% certainty creates a ripple effect that would inevitably destroy the park. The park was way too complex to survive. 2 million lines of code and all that. If one tiny thing went wrong, it would cause a chain reaction that would destroy everything.

Now, for the sake of dramatic storytelling, it just happened that everything went wrong when all our main characters were on the island. But the main point is even if everything went fine during their visit, EVENTUALLY, something will have to go wrong. And that's why the park was doomed to fail.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Nice, that sounds like Lost World too then, p good
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Lost World is its own thing though but yea basically
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
If you haven't noticed, I have read lost world but only seen the Jurassic park 1 movie