Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
standard as in VGC or OU (I seriously hope you mean VGC)
Martin
Martin
Both tbh. IK that VGC was good fun when I played it (2014 was when I last played), but I was mainly thinking about the singles comparison. However hearing both would be good 'cause ik that the BS singles meta is v. different from the OU and VGC metas.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Eh I really do not like referring to OU as standard but whatever it doesn't matter

anyway, I just started playing because it was a format you could play in-game with automated matchmaking. The community was kind of small so it was a good place to get well-known so I started hanging out there and I got mod so I just kept playing.

I don't really play it because I think it is the best format or anything more for the community. But I do like how the rules don't change and it's not controlled by players so we can avoid all of those philosophical battles
Martin
Martin
That's... actually a really nice way of putting it. I've never really thought about BS singles like that before. What do you mean by philosophical in this context btw?

As for the "Standard" thing it was more just 'cause that's what I've always heard people refer to OU as in the past xD. TBH I kinda agree with you when you say it's not really a great way to refer to OU but it's just something that's become a habit at this point xD
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah it's just kinda arrogant I guess, who is to say that Smogon OU is standard. I don't think there is any real "standard" way to play but that's just opinion. It is certainly standard for Smogon metagames I guess, since they all center around it.

Philosophical means like discussing policy and stuff and suspects and addressing slippery slopes and all that. Tiering policy is VERY inconsistent which makes things very difficult to successfully argue for. I am glad we just don't have to bother.
Martin
Martin
Ah ok thanks for clarifying that.

Yeah reading tiering policy atm makes me want to puke lol.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
It is fun to read when you have absolutely no stake in it though
Martin
Martin
Yeah lol. It's why I'm glad it all pertains to NU and PU (aside from the whole BP thing).

Actually BP must be balanced for the most part in Battle Spot. I guess you can still do GeoPass but it must be v. difficult to pull BP strategies off in a 3v3 environment.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
A lot of things are really balanced in 3v3 tbh. Like people complain about broken shit being allowed but honestly Kangaskhan and Salamence are not that overpowered at all. It's pretty fair. The only thing that should be removed from the game is Klefki.
Martin
Martin
Fuck Swagger xD
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
lol yea