Smogon Forums

Hootie
Hootie
it's one of those subjects that really isn't for everyone. more people hate it then love it that's for sure. it's hard to explain, but it's fundamentally a lot different from typical science courses because matter is kind of an abstract thing to focus on.
astroboy
astroboy
no dude like i got a d on a sigfig and conversions test
do u have any tips as a science guy that could help me
astroboy
astroboy
btw, i got a flipped classroom this year and its fucking sick, did u have any of those? i know not every school, much less state does
Hootie
Hootie
idk what a flipped classroom is, but for sig figs the best way determine how many a number has is putting in scientific notation. like lets say you have 8000, if you put in scientific notation its 8 x 10³, so right there you just count the number that's infront and you get one sig fig. just remember that for if a number is 8000. it has 4 sig figs because the decimal means it has a value. for adding two terms with a different amount sig figs, the best thing is to write them so they line up, and whatever the last digit is on the shorter term, you stop right there for the longer term. ill take a pic of it so you get a better visual for what im saying.
Hootie
Hootie
Hootie
Hootie
for conversions, they give you a table for them right? if not, the best thing i can tell you is to know shit like g to kg, because that's by far the most common unit conversion you'll use
Hootie
Hootie
if you need help on other stuff like the various calculations you'll learn, don't hesitate to ask, just know i'm still brushing up on some things myself, but i still know the basics very well.
Hootie
Hootie
if you need help on other stuff like the various calculations you'll learn, don't hesitate to ask, just know i'm still brushing up on some things myself, but i still know the basics very well.