Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
actually a horrible name. for many reasons.

1: the word "Jedi" is both singular and plural. So it's unclear whether it means Jedi plural (as in, Rey and Luke) or Jedi singular meaning Luke will die. Compare that to a great name, Return of the Jedi, which makes sense both when referring to Luke and referring to the legacy and order of the Jedi as a whole. So it's a bad name in all the ways that Return of the Jedi was a great name. Maybe if they made it "The Last of the Jedi" it'd be better because in that case it's clearly Jedi in the plural. But it makes it even weaker because "The Last Jedi" comes only 1 movie after "Return of the Jedi". Some people said that the fact that The First Order can gain so much power and the New Republic is so useless in Ep 7 kind of hurts the ending of Ep 6 and I feel like this hurts it even more. Like "The Last Jedi" would be a cool name for Ep 6 I guess since it's the same thing. I predict this movie will very much be a return of the Jedi as Luke trains Rey. So...
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
2: I don't like having two "The" names in a row. The Force Awakens, even though I really liked the movie I did not think the name was that good. And it seems they're on a roll with these weak names. The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi are bad names in the same way that Attack of the Clones was a bad name. "Attack of the Clones" referred to only the ending battle of the movie. I think some people have said "Shroud of the Dark Side" was a better name for Episode II (which is a quote from Yoda in that movie) and it is. The Force Awakens at least there were like 3 Force users in it, 2 of which were young and 1 (Luke) who went into exile and was returning. So it did fit.

The Phantom Menace - Good name, indicates that there is a threat that was once gone that is returning. Thematic over the entire movie. And the fact that "The Phantom Menace" is a vague term helps because the whole point is that they are unsure what they are going up against.

Attack of the Clones - Bad because the clones attacking is only part of the movie and not the main part. The name should have again been Shroud of the Dark Side OR something about the galactic civil war beginning.