Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
why???
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
ok

it's something I like to call "fake ambiguity" which is that, rather than creating real ambiguity in the story, the story just leaves out something and is like "oooh look how ambiguous I am making this!!!" but it's easy because all you do is withhold something. See the difference? One is creating whereas one is taking away and passing it off as creating

in Inception everything points to the top going to fall. first of all literally all of Cobb's development points to him wanting to live in reality. Like literally his whole character development is letting go of the dream version of his wife. There is no fucking way the idea that "he doesn't care if it's real or not. he's with his kids" is going to fly. and again there's the whole thing with the ring being the true totem.

I guess I don't hate the ending that much in and of itself, because Nolan makes it clear the ending is reality if you think about it. So there is an answer if you look for it. But I hate all the people who act like not having answers for a story always makes it better like answers are a bad thing or something. Also I wish Nolan didn't feed the flames by making that misleading statement. Like I know he didn't want people to know that it was really reality at the end but he coulda just said "that's up to you to figure out" instead of saying "he doesn't care if his kids are real or not" aka something that contradicts the entire story's character development for Cobb.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
Ok I definitely see where you are coming from, and I agree. I think the choice to cut away was more a "ok, this is what the studio wants to see / will get people talking/remembering the ending" because the top was literally .5 seconds away from falling over. And yeah the top is supposed to fall. Witholding something does not equal Extra Artistic

I find it much more interesting that the prevailing theory is that Cobb is still dreaming; the totem is unreliable because he dreamed it up in the dream yadda yadda. My question: what's the point of that? What's the purpose in constructing the elaborate scheme to fool him into thinking it's the real world when it's actually a dream? Why would Cobb want that at all?
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
tbh if Mal is dead then the totem is as reliable as any. but I honestly think the ring is the real totem.

also yeah tbh if Cobb is still in a dream that opens a whole new can of worms. like does he just stay on the plane forever or what. If he is still dreaming then Saito is still dreaming too so like lol. would they take him to the ER and think he's in a coma lmao. Also I am not sure how Limbo would transform into the plane even if they were still dreaming. they established limbo to be an extremely permanent space like how his dreams with Mal were still there.

if he was still dreaming in the underground place then that would be absolutely retarded. I mean it's possible but I really do not see the point in showing us a bunch of things that did not happen just for the sake of "wow what an amazing theory!!!" like it just betrays all dramatic principle for the sake of a gotcha moment. like there would be no point to the rest of the movie at all, not even metaphorically unlike most "all a dream" endings.