Smogon Forums

GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
yes, i feel like we've talked about this before, divergent is one of the best book ever written
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
is that irony
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I forgot if you actually liked it
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
OH now I remember. I said that I couldn't get through the first book but I really liked the author's blog
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
why do you like it though. I always found it kinda weird that they would segregate people based on what moral value they wanted to base their entire lives on. like was there ever any hope for that society anyway
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
people like conformity; it's got an absolutely amazing protagonist. The characters are so fucking real. It's the only other hunger games clone that bothers to actually build the world (instead of "the Old People show us something the world before The Wars used to have. They're called Phones, and you can talk to somebody not next to you with them).

Tris's struggle isn't just "we habe to take downe the gorrupt totaligarian gobernment :((((((((" but she's also struggling with her personal identity as a member of abnegation that never understood its values. Like she knows she "supposed" to be not narcisistic but she wants a romance with the guy and wants to not be a nun. Then her parents, SPOILERS BTW BUT U PROBABLY DONT CARE which are the only connection to her "old" lifestyle, get bopped, she kills her own best friends boyfriend while hes being controlled, which results in a fucking huge amount of guilt.

Basically tris is everything katniss whishes she was.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I never read it lol, well I started to read it and the prose was kind of offputting. I saw the movie but I assume the movie was a bad adaptation
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
i think its a terrible adaptation, but a good movie tbh. It changed fundamental aspects of little things that are so important. The fear simulations in the movie were so stupid. She's afraid of drowning, pain, intimacy, and losing her family. But she's better than anybody else in the faction because she can dissociate the fear simulation with reality. So everybody else is struggling to control their emotions while she's ascended over it. But in the movie, 4 tells her that she has to "play along" with the simulation and solve it "like a dauntless" would. Which is utterly retarded. In the book they couldn't VR into the simulation and see how the person was "solving it". So in the movie they made her have a fight sequence with the crows and keep herself from drowning (by stuffing the grate with a cloth, lmao. IF you could do that the whole time then its NOT FUCKING SCARY), shooting her own family (just like 4's fear!!! wow!!!!!!!!!!!
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
except in the movie she doesn't realize its fake until she shoots them!!!! how stupid!!!), and the one that triggers me the most is making her afraid of rape. Because she was raised by nuns she is afraid of actually enjoying sex with 4, >>>>NOT BEING RAPED BY ANYBODY. She actually describes that in the book. There's a very nice line where shes like "we're definitely gonna bang, but not in fake reality. I'll come to terms with this on my own soon". Whereas in the movie she has to beat up 4 for another fight sequence!!! goteem.

o yea and the movie ended stupidly and changed something else about the smart lady's evil plan, i cant remember what it was specifically. I think the movie was still alright, an INCREDIBLY bad adaptation because i think it removed key passages that built the characters (more than the ones I talked about), but for a dystopian movie™ i think its p good
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Cool dude, I never read the book though