Smogon Forums

Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Very vague thesis statement. It is not enough to simply state an easily observable and inarguable fact, good thesis statements offer a debatable claim which you must then attempt to prove. You must mention what you observe, interpret those observations, and then explain why they matter.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
after your post I started watching clips and I think it's good that they made the spiderman feel like the comic book spiderman, like pll are "maguire was a good peter but a bad spiderman", nah he was a good spiderman too, he was a human being rather than the garfield who was "funny joke! don't dress like a car thief" which is still a cool character but not really the "spiderman" from the old days (the old spiderman was a fuckin nerd not a sk8er boi).

But like........the writing lol. Let's see you scurry out of this! You've spun your last web,,,,,SPIDERman. *wall falls on mj* AUUUUUUUUUUGHSHGIIUOIUIIIIGHGH!!!!! (I have no legitimate way to turn that scream into text)
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
which post? The post where I said I didn't really like the Amazing Spider-Mans?

Also yes Maguire was a better Spider-Man too. Honestly Chris Stuckmann pointed out why Garfield's Spider-Man seemed off. Like yeah he did the car thief joke, that was the ONLY joke he made in the movie. So it was like fanservice more than anything.

Maguire's made jokes while fighting, and they were appropriate. Like when he joked about Randy Savage's husband, or when he told Jameson that "mommy and daddy are talking". They're jokes to break the tension of intense scenes. So they have a purpose.

in Amazing Spider-Man 2, Spider-Man makes a bunch of quips to the Rhino but like HE IS IN A SPEEDING ARMORED TRUCK ON A PUBLIC ROAD. TAKE HIM DOWN AS QUICKLY AS YOU CAN OR SOME PEOPLE ARE GOING TO GET FUCKING INJURED. But no, he has to stop to make quips and in the end it causes a huge traffic pile-up.

Also yeah the Rami Spider-Man movies were silly. But they knew they were, they didn't really take themselves all that seriously. I think when silliness turns into plot contrivances, that's where I draw the line. But that didn't really happen. Some of the Spider-Man and action stuff is really hokey, but all the scenes of just normal human Peter and Norman and Harry and Aunt May and other humans just talking and growing their characters are very solid.

Also, I really dislike Gwen Stacy in Amazing Spider-Man. She was like a tumor that took over the entire series.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
The "who's the photographer that takes pics of Spider-Man"

I watched the first Spider-Man movie when it came out when I was on vacation in Canada and it was so spooky that I never finished it (which was partly caused by the fact that I read a picture book of the movie explaining the ending so I was so nervous the whole time the green goblin was at dinner because I knew what was going to happen and stuff but idk) and I never watched it until like 5 years later.

But all I remember about the movies were that other people thought they were "bad". But rewatching them they're ok sometimes. MJ is kind of a plastic screaming doll a lot which is stupid but the fights are great and toby Maguire is a legend. Doc Ock and William Dafoe are so amazing too.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I think people appreciate the Rami movies again after the Amazing Spider-Man movies.

also lol Mary Jane is a somewhat poorly written character but she is better than Gwen Stacy.
GatoDelFuego
GatoDelFuego
I don't think Spider-Man fits in the MCU, and homecoming looks rly dumb. Like the ferry thing yuck. But vulture is a good villain.

I like quirky gwen but I guess I never saw ASM2. I thought the first was a good breath of fresh air after MCU round 1 but looking back sk8r boi is stupid compared to pizza man