Smogon Forums

Nix_Hex
Nix_Hex
Absolutely do not do it. Calluses build character and expand what you are able to do. I have sweat like a really sweaty thing since the year I started playing bass but I'm fine on stage fsr. Long nails will add some obnoxious noise to your tone that's hard to EQ out, it's very noticeable.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
problem is some other stringed instruments like having nails. I play ukulele too for example
Nix_Hex
Nix_Hex
If you're playing finger style with long nails on electric bass, you'll get sick of it very fast, and the sound guy will either hate you or just be confused about that weird scraping sound (if he's inexperienced). Pick is a decent option too. Anything is better than gloves though, don't even consider it as a last resort.
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Yeah I prefer finger to pick 100%. Nails suck for bass and I know it but if I cut them then I can't play ukulele as well. Sadface
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
I'M SORRY I DID IT. Just for one hand though
Nix_Hex
Nix_Hex
Whatever it takes, that's all that matters. If you play better because of it, all the better!
Hulavuta
Hulavuta
Okay that was weird to go from "don't even consider it as a last resort" to "whatever it takes"

but I am glad for your support. I have been playing noticeably better actually. I feel like the glove actually helps me fret better
Nix_Hex
Nix_Hex
Oh I thought you meant you cut your nails. Ditch the glove. Your fingers desire calluses.