Smogon Forums

Rugi
Rugi
Swinburne arts because I’m a failure
Rugi
Rugi
I want to do diplomacy but I have no idea how
Asek
probably pol sci major in arts --> masters of international relations? that would be the route at my uni. could do a language minor / duo major on the side and itd look good in undergrad, ik ur into that
arts is fun but u really need to get a good gpa / wam to succesfully apply for grad courses to make something out of it
if ur ever near melbourne central station hmu 4 beer
Asek
worth nothing DFAT (ive actually researched them a bit, considering applying after im done uni....) like law grads a lot. probably the most obvious route to a career in diplomacy in australia
Rugi
Rugi
Yeah I know my brother did well for himself with a PhD in linguistics in Monash of all things, I was thinking of doing international relations major cause the annoying guide lad at uni said that I could do minors in two Asian languages and it will look pretty good but as long as I finish up with bachelors in something I can go to China and work as an English teacher/slave so I’m good.
Rugi
Rugi
Also ur in Melbourne central right now mad what u doing
Asek
international relations / pol sci are usually the same major, altho i must admit im not v familiar w. swinburne
not there right now lol - go throgh almost everyday for uni (as do rMit / ACU asper my knowledge?) so its an easy place to meet up for drink
Asek
the guys who help with your course arent terribly useful for specifics in my experience - id try talk to some people u know whove recently finished / are close to finishing and are more acute with where u wanna go as to suggestions for majors / minors / subject selection.
Asek
fwiw im pol sci major and i find the international relations / country specific politics units the most interesting. australian politics is rather dry, and more theory intensive subjects try squeeze a lot of (often loosely related at best) content into too short a window