The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bullshit bullshit bullshit

Examples:
http://www.totalfootballmadness.com/2010/10/27/milos-krasic-suspended-two-games-for-diving/
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/06012011/58/ligue-1-four-match-ban-doumbia.html
^the second one is particularly relevant - only punished with a yellow in play, later handed out a 4 match suspension. The FA chose not to do anything.

(also, you do realise that you say 'the FA could do nothing if they wanted to' and then 'the FA just do what they like' with only one sentence in between them?)
FIFA are inconsistent bastards because they don't permit football associations to overturn refereeing decisions even if they are wrong. They allow it in areas of serious foul play like when Ben Thatcher knocked out Mendes and got a 6 match ban after initially getting a yellow. Whether Rooney's fell into this category is a different question since you see two footed tackles and elbows that should be reds but are only yellows all the time.

The best thing about that interview is that it's very hard to find something to disagree with - he's been in excellent form this season, I've seen him play quite a few times and he is pretty awesome.
I dunno why he hasn't been rewarded with a callup - I guess ostensibly it's about how badly he's behaved in the past but look at the rest of the England team, christ; if they haven't filmed themselves spit-roasting a girl (Ferdinand), assaulted someone (Gerrard, god knows who else), shot a team-mate (Cole), allegedly shagged his best mate's girlfriend, persuaded her to have an abortion and the small matter of 'stripping naked and taunting weeping American tourists whilst they watched live footage of 9/11'.. and that's our fucking captain.

Similarly, Nolan has been on excellent form this season - where the fuck's his call up?
Gareth Barry's automatic selection in the past three years is one of the reasons why England can't do well when it counts. I watched the Ozil race with him again and he gave Ozil a ten yard headstart and ended up 15 behind him. A lack of tactical awareness, technique and mobility but he's somehow a starter ahead of Carrick and guys in form like Parker etc.

This should be the England first XI imo:

4-3-3:

---------------------------------Hart----------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--Johnson----------Cahill---------------------Ferdinand--------Baines--
--------------------------------Gerrard--------------------------------
--------------------Parker-------------------Wilshere------------------
-----------A. Young-----------------------------------Rooney----------
--------------------------------Carroll----------------------------------

4-5-1:

---------------------------------Hart----------------------------------
--Johnson----------Cahill---------------------Ferdinand--------Baines--
--------------------------------Gerrard--------------------------------
--A. Johnson---------Parker------------------Wilshere--------A. Young-
--------------------------Carroll/Bent/Rooney--------------------------

and Lampard shouldn't even be on the bench.
Cahill's not experienced enough yet. If we're building to 2012/14 Smalling should be in there. Tons of potential and he's getting big game experience. Baines isn't better than Ashley Cole and is more experienced despite Baines having a good season. I wouldn't play 4-5-1 with anyone other than Rooney as the striker...Carroll and Bent aren't good enough when it comes to the quarter finals of major tournaments IMO. But I agree other than that. Walcott is one of our best two/three wingers and is ideal for a 4-3-3 because he scores more goals than the rest of them.

Charlie's going to the highest bidder, definitely. Holloway is a dick.

EDIT: about Gareth Barry. I can't believe Rafa wanted to replace Alonso with Barry .-. and that was the reason he sold him.

To be honest I think that's it's ridiculous that Nani isn't nominated, although personally I think Tevez should win it, in my eyes he's pretty much keeping Man City in the Champions League places (along with Kompany!)

As much as I dislike Man Utd, I have to say that Hernandez and Nani have been fantastic this season so I think one of them will win young player of the year (although I think that 24 is too old!)

other things of note:
- I wouldn't describe Schalke as clowns, since they topped one of the hardest groups and beat Valencia to get to where they are now in the CL anyway!
edit: - Gareth Barry is really bad, going to be honest I don't have a clue where Adam will go because I don't really know who wants him!

Charlie's going to the highest bidder, definitely. Holloway is a dick.

EDIT: about Gareth Barry. I can't believe Rafa wanted to replace Alonso with Barry .-. and that was the reason he sold him.
I don't think it's Holloway's fault - I don't think he can keep hold of Adam even if he wants to, unless he wants to let him go on a free next season - those offers WILL come in from other, bigger clubs and Adam has already indicated he fancies a move. Blackpool aren't rich, despite their rapey millionaire owner, they'll have to let him go.

Speaking of Charlie Adam, where do you think he's headed this summer? Liverpool are obviously going to try and buy him - and likely succeed - but I can imagine(and hope) Manchester United making a bid. He's potentially the ideal replacement for Paul Scholes, and god knows we need better midfield options than Micheal Carrick. Manchester United also offers Adam a chance to play in Europe.

What do you think?
I'd like him to go to Pool, everyone was touting him as the next Xavi in the January transfer window. I like liverpool and I quite like Charlie Adam, so yeah. Carrick seems to have hit some rare vein of form recently - he was actually almost very good against Chelsea, it was bizarre. Liverpool will be challenging for Europe soon enough, I imagine - season or so and some solid investment.

What I meant is that Holloway doesn't really care about Charlie feels. In January, he handed in an official transfer request to go to Liverpool but Holloway wanted to keep him despite the player NOT wanting to play for his team.

Idk, maybe I'm just being biased because I wanted him to come to Liverpool (Adam + Carroll can be similar to Barton + Carroll except Adam is better than Barton at accurate long balls) and I don't think he's worth over £ 10 million like Holloway claims.

I dunno, I don't think players have a particular value other than their value to the club - Carroll being £35mil is an example. Adam could well be the difference between getting relegated and Premiership survival; and honestly I think the way Adam handled the whole thing was slightly unprofessional. In a perfect world Holloway would have been able to let him go, but he's the heart of the Blackpool team - by far and away their best player. I'm not sure you can put a value on potential Premiership survival - but £10mil+ seems reasonable; they shouldn't be underpaid because they're a tiny team. Adam has a contract with Blackpool and he gained exposure in the Prem purely because of this - I don't think they'd have noticed him if Blackpool hadn't won promotion, they definitely didn't notice him before Holloway signed him from wherever in Scotland. I totally understand Adam wanting to join a bigger club - but he has a contract to fulfil and should honour it at least until the end of the season. There's something slightly distasteful to me about winning promotion with a club, especially one that relies on you that much, then trying to jump ship halfway through your first ever season in the Prem (even if I get why he'd be tempted).

Holloway is epic :D, club loyalty should be first.
he is worth more then the pittence blackpool were offered if carrol is worth 35 million.
i want blackpool to stay up, if united want him, which i hope they do, i would throw 15 million at blackpool :P

and Gary neville to be a sky commantator next year... cant wait to hear him on city and liverpool games :D

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/new...ld-be-charged-for-swearing-article721116.html
if this is true then the FA have crossed the line. no way they can justify that. could they not uphold the ban without pressuring the refs? complete bollocks if this is true.

and Gary neville to be a sky commantator next year... cant wait to hear him on city and liverpool games :D
I know =(

first this clown of a commentator in Rey wilkins and then rat boy

im canceling my sky subscription and i know im not the only one

for the love of god, bring back Andy grey!

@ sbc: just saw your brilliant post, shawcross > smalling any day for the future.

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I liked Andy Gray as a commentator, I'd probably go as far to say he's my favourite commentator in my whole time watching football. But as a man, a human being, he's low in my estimation.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gary Neville does, but it'll take some time to get used to. Liverpool already have their pundits that get on the Sky Sports Channels every week, so now United do :D

surely parker would be better suited to the holding role, giving gerrard more freedom to do what he does best?

anyway akuchi and the_chaser should both be scared, get ready for a mighty leeds united business end push!
you mean leeds's business end choke

as much as I hate Everton with a passion, i have to admit those were 3 beautiful goals. 0-3 up against Wolves at HT... They're catching up on us o_0

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
akuchi said:
Similarly, Nolan has been on excellent form this season - where the fuck's his call up?
aaaaa, don't even get me started on Nolan!

Nolan has 12 goals this season - the only players to have scored more are Darren Bent, Carlos Tevez and Dimitar Berbatov. And don't forget - Nolan's a midfielder.

The official Premiership site also rates him as the second best midfielder in the league atm based on some super-complicated stats that I won't claim to understand.

http://www.premierleague.com/page/Top10Midfielders/0,,12306,00.html

(ps check out team of the week.http://www.premierleague.com/page/TeamOfTheWeek/0,,12306,00.html)

And it's not as if this is his first great season - he performed like this at Bolton for years.

He's also a great captain and has a very rare trait indeed in modern football - loyalty. When we were relegated (or in the process of being relegated in some of the cases) our top players were running for the hills (Michael Owen, Obafemi Martins, Damien Duff, Shay Given, N'Zogbia, James Milner to name a few) but Nolan resigned himself to a season in the Championship and a greatly reduced wage. How many players of his calibre do you honestly think would do that? I can't think of many...I'd love to see that kind of character in the England set-up.

And he's only 28! I swear, if not for Carroll's call-up earlier in the season, I'd say Capello doesn't even know where Newcastle is. Probably thinks it's in Scotland or something...grrrr

I am currently bouncing around my flat going AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Swansea, oh Swansea, oh City said I
standing on the north bank till the day I die
take me to the Vetch field, right down by the sea
where I will follow Swansea, Swansea City

wish us luck you guys!

united win, pressure on arsenal when they visit blackpool tomorrow, which might be a banana skin.
and crawley town promoted to league two

2-0. Mark Gower, if you're reading this, I'm sorry for all the times I called you shit and I admit everyone else was right and I was wrong and you are on good form this season

p.s. call me if you like
<3
xxx

Bit disapointed, we were playing quite well before both great strikes not much you can do able shots like that. Since then Swansea has been dominant since then. Still think we can get awaywith at least a point since we have a habit of getting something out of game in last 15mins.

nah, no way in hell you'll snatch an equaliser - I'm not sure we'll score again, but we've only shipped nine goals at home all season and we're playing good. not gonna fall apart now!
both strikes were a thing of beauty. Norwich have been playing good though - if De Vries hadn't made that double save earlier it could well be a different story

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
On the subject of the PFA awards, i'm a bit miffed to see Carroll not being nominated for Young Player of the Year...he just turned 22 in January and he has had an outstanding season (see: 11 league goals, 2 England caps and a £35m transfer).

Back me up here Nos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)