It's Time to Sweep - Final DPP OU Tournament

It's Time to Sweep

Hi Smogon, I am going present you one of my favourite team that I played in OU 4G , it's an Hyper Offensive team. I go in final of DPP OU Tournament hosted by Enzo & Steven Snype with it, it peaked #1 on Smogon University there is one month ago but it's not significative due to the activity of the DPP Ladder. DPP OU is dead so it's time for me to post this team of the best tier ever.

Gengar @ Focus Sash

• Trait: Levitate
  • Evs: 4 Hp | 252 SAtk | 252 Spd
  • Nature: Timid [+ Speed, - Attack]
  • Moveset:

• Icy Wind
    • Shadow Ball
    • Focus Blast
    • Taunt

• Description :

I wanted a lead which could put pressure on the opponent, so much pressure that place the essential Stealth Rock wouldn't be an easy choice. "Place my SR or lost 1 Pokés and be face to face against a Gengar with Focus sash ? ... "
And without SR on my side it's just amazing for Gyarados and Dragonite, anyway if he choses to put it, it's not dramatic and Gengar continue to press him.

Gengar 2hko and is faster than most of common leads, otherwise Icy Wind is here to resolve it, Focus Blast and Shadow Ball for a perfect coverage. I choose Taunt over Counter because I need to prevent bulky lead ( Hippodown/Swampert/Foretress ) to place SR and also against Roserade/Smeargle, I find counter useful only against Machamp. After that I won my lead matchup ( :naughty: ), taunt prevents Pokémon as Gyarados to be set-up.

Timid to be faster than Infernape, to have speed tie with others Gengar and anyway Modest doesn't give significiant Ohko. Speed and Special attack are maximised for obvious reasons.

A wonderfull anti-lead in my opinion.

• Gengar against others Leads :

• Heatran - Focus Blast doesn't Ohko it, it must chose between place Stealth Rock or break my sash. Anyway, lost against the few users of Magma Storm
    • Metagross - Shadow Ball it and switch on Bronzong.
    • Aerodactyl - Icy wind makes me faster and Shadow Ball to finish it. Must do same choice than Heatran.
    • Starmie - Easy win.
    • Infernape - As Heatran.
    • Roserade - Taunt and it is 2hko by Shadow Ball.
    • Skarmory - Physical Version takes 52.4% - 61.7% on Focus Blast, 2hko almost every time. The Specialy defensive is only 3hko so after the first Focus Blast, I taunt it to stop to roost.
    • Gengar - Rare, it's a speed tie.
    • Jirachi - Mindgame between U-Turn and Iron Head, anyway often I don't take risk and send Bronzong.
    • Machamp - The one I hate the most. Shadow Ball do it 40%, I take Payback thanks Focus Sash and send Gyarados on bullet punch, I switch again on Gengar hoping a switch of his part but if it used stone edge I send one more time Gyarados, Machamp -2.
    • Hippowdon - Taunt. Okthxbye.
    • Azelf - Same as Aerodactyl.
    • Swampert - Taunt to prevent SR and Shadow ball it.
    • Dragonite - Icy wind.

---

Bronzong @ Light Clay

• Trait: Levitate
  • Evs: 252 Hp | 152 Atk | 8 Def | 96 SpD
  • Nature: Relaxed [+ Defense, - Speed]
  • Moveset:

• Stealth Rock
    • Reflect
    • Light Screen
    • Explosion

• Description :

I like playing Offense Team but with threats like Starmie/Infernape/Metagross ... it's difficult to don't be weak in one of them. So a screener could help me against and it's easier to set-up behind screens. Bronzong come in my team.

Its the first time, since I play Pokémon (October 2009) that I use it. It is too ugly, but oh my god it can be really usefull. A great double type, an amazing trait, and defensive stats not bad at all 67/116/116 and just one weakness. Bronzong work nicely with Gengar to have a favorable start, help this last against Metagross and Jirachi.

Stealth Rock is the move you can see in absolutely all competitives teams, can transform 3hko/2hko to 2hko/0hko. Reflect and Light Screen help me to set-up and destroy the opponent. Explosion prevents all pokemon to Set-up.

I had never used it before so I found the spread here ... http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/bronzong

---

Gyarados @ Wacan Berry

• Trait: Intimidate
  • Evs: 62 Hp | 252 Atk | 196 Spd
  • Nature: Adamant [+ Attack, - Special Attack]
  • Moveset:

• Dragon Dance
    • Waterfall
    • Stone Edge
    • Taunt

• Description :

My 1st Lure, I found this only Gyarados in a friend's team ( Naaaaz ), and when I saw it, I was like " Are you kidding me, it really works ? " anyway after looking at it more closely , i fell in love. It lures easily pokemon like Rotom-A, Flygon and damage or kill them, just perfect for Dragonite and Lucario. Bronzong attract Heatran/Nape as a magnet and give me an easy placement.

Gyarados without Dragon Dance isn't Gyarados, Waterfall is his main Stab, Aqua Tail is more powerfull but can miss AND can't flinch. Stone Edge is for Foe's Gyarados/Zapdos/Dragonite which are offensive and defensive threats. The fourth slot has been an hard choice, Bounce because Stabbed and hit hard Bulky Grass ? Taunt against Stall, Breloom ? Earthquake for Jirachi/Metagross/Empoleon don't fear a decisive miss of Stone Edge against Staross/Suicune ... ? Ice fang ? I hesitated, changed, changed again and one time, I lost because my opponent played Skarmory, I was crying. Since this day, I play Taunt.

Adamant for power, outspeed Heatran Scarf and Jolteon isn't my priority if unfortunely it RK me, Tyranitar takes the torch ! 196 Evs speed make me faster than 245/246 Pokés and outspeed Starmie at +1, Max Atq and the others in Hp to take hits slightly better.

• Damage Calcs with Wacan Berry :

Rotom-A Stall @ Thunderbolt vs Gyarados => 62.2% - 73.2% ; behind Light Screen => 31,1% - 36,6%
Gyarados +0 @ Waterfall vs Rotom-A Stall => 33.9% - 40.5%
Gyarados +1 @ Waterfall vs Rotom-A Stall => 50.7% - 60.2% (2hko with SR or SS)

Rotom-A Off @Thunderbolt vs Leviator => 76.5% - 90% ; behind Light Screen => 39% - 46%
Gyarados +0 @ Waterfall vs Rotom Off => 54.8% - 64.7%
Gyarados +1 @ Waterfall vs Rotom Off => 82.2% - 97.1% (Can be Ohko with SR)

Jirascarf @ T-Punch vs Gyarados => 47.6% - 56.1% ; behind Reflect 23,3% - 28%
Flygon @ T-Punch vs Gyarados => 47.6% - 56.1% ; behind Reflect 23,3% - 28%

Starmie Lefties (252 SpA) @ Thunderbolt vs Gyarados => 46% - 54% ; behind Light Screen => 23% - 27%
Staross Orber @ Thunderbolt vs Gyarados => 64% - 75.4% ; behind Light Screen => 32% - 37,2%

Suicune Off @ Hidden Power Electric vs Gyarados => 34.6% - 41.5% ; behind Light Screen => 17.3% - 20.7%

---​

Tyranitar @ Shuca Berry

• Trait: Sand Stream
  • Evs: 4 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Spd
  • Nature: Jolly [+ Speed, - Special Attack]
  • Moveset:

• Dragon Dance
    • Stone Edge
    • Earthquake
    • Ice Punch

• Description :

My 2nd lure, Tyranitar. It's often not to say always, Gyarados or him who launch the first assault, its type is complementary with Bronzong. When gyarados is RK it's often by sweeper special or pokemon lock on a not effective attack against Tyranitar (and vice versa), so he set-up and continues to sweep. He lures perfectly Gliscor/Flygon/Breloom and destroys them with an Ice Punch. Easier sweep for Gyarados/Dragonite/Lucario. Be revenge kill by Infernape@Mach Punch / Scizor if I don't have Screen in my side, ok, let's go Gyarados.

Stone Edge is its main Stab, Ice Punch for Gliscor/Flygon/Breloom, Earthquake for Lucario/Heatran/Jirachi before I played Crunch but Lucario/Empoleon laughed of me.

Jolly to outspeed Starmie, Max Atq and Spd for obvious reasons.

---

Dragonite @ Lum Berry

• Trait: Inner Focus
  • Evs: 40 SAtk | 252 Atk | 216 Vit
  • Moveset:

• Dragon Dance
    • Outrage
    • Extreme Speed
    • Fire Blast

• Description :

Dragonite is one of the biggest threat for most teams, and it's logic. Its outrage is so powerfull, only the steels can take it correctly or rather try to take it correctly, yeah Scizor is 2hko by Outrage+1. Oh and this Steels can be destroyed by FireBlast, Fire Blast and nature don't matter. Extreme Speed is my last and probably the last modification on my team, I had issues with Jolteon/StarmieLO/Infernape@Stone Edge so ES help me against them.

Lum Berry (You are probably thinking : Shit he likes berry ? :nerd: ) allows me to set-up on the T-Wave/WoW and Spore of Breloom which can be really annoying if it comes on Bronzong.

212 Speed to outspeed 120 Base Speed Pokemon don't need to max it just for Dragonite I think.

---

Lucario @ Life Orb

• Trait: Inner Focus
  • Evs: 4 Hp | 252 Atk | 252 Vit
  • Moveset:

• Sword Dance
    • Close Combat
    • Extreme Speed
    • Bullet Punch / Crunch

• Description :

It's the best Late Game Sweeper, what else ? Thanks to its complementarity with Dragonite, Lucario can easily set-up after that Nite is RK. And when Lucario has +2, it's generally the end because if my lures have done their job there is nothing to stop him. The classical combination Dragonite/Lucario.

The Moveset and spread are standard, the choice between Crunch and Bullet Punch isn't easy Crunch helps me against Celebi/RotomStall and Bullet Punch face to Gengar/TyranitarScarf ... But I think Crunch is the best choice.

---

Importable:

Gengar (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Icy Wind
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Explosion

Gyarados (M) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Taunt

Tyranitar (M) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

Dragonite (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 46 SAtk / 212 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtq)
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Bullet Punch

Thank you to Emeral for helping me write this RMT

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do you want to be any more Rotom-A weak. Like seriously I don't understand how you ever could beat a team with Rotom-A, NOTHING can switch into it. Tbh I'd change Tyranitar to Scarftar to at least revenge it while also helping out vs Starmie and Gengar who destroy you.

I absolutely love lead gengar! It's such a fantastic Pokemon!

One suggestion I'd like to suggest with it is to test Destiny Bond over Taunt. Destiny Bond sometimes lets you take down two Pokemon, which really rips holes in the opponent's team. Another suggestion (which is more gimmicky) is to try Counter over Taunt, which lets you beat physical leads that think they can live a Shadow Ball like Machamp.

I do agree with Espy though, you really have nothing for Rotom-A. I would probably make Tyranitar a Pursuit trapper in order to eliminate that as well as dealing with Starmie, who your team can handle with Screens but gets decimated without it

You think really I will post a team who can absolutely nothing against Rotom, EspyJoel ?

The Scarf Version, Bronzong place its screens, Tyranitar counter it whithout problem, he come 75% of time on Gyarados and be 2hko, I can take an hit, Dragonite can take a T-Bolt and outrage it.

The WoW version is more annoying but it come to counter Gyarados and it is 2hko to +1 and thanks wacan berry i'm just 2hko, Dragonite can set-up against it whithout problem and Lucario@Crunch 2hko it.

Ok I have little issues against Rotom but don't say I can NOTHING.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yes I do since you just did post one which can do pretty much nothing against it.

-44% - 52.2% - Scarf Rotom-W Hydro Pump vs Tyranitar so good luck countering it with that. Also 3hkoed by thunderbolt after sr while not ohking back.
-41.5% - 48.9% Scarf Thunderbolt vs Dragonite so have fun setting up vs it without a problem.
-78% - 91.9% vs Gyarados - ohko after sr.
-32.2% - 38.2% vs Bronzong so you're pretty much only able to switch in once while it just switches out. You're not going to sweep their whole team with screens up so don't bring up that argument.
-63.3% - 75.1% with thunderbolt vs lucario.
-It's also mostly used with hazard support making most of these worse.

So yes, you are very Rotom-A weak. I offered you a solution so stop being a cocky dick.

EspyJoel

Espy <3
Bronzong is likely going to Light Screen once a game, you're unlikely to outright sweep someone's team in those 8 turns light screens are up, especially against balance and stall teams where your bronzong is just hazards bait and they'll have Roar/Whirlwind for your sweepers.

If you admit you have a Rotom-A problem, why not fix it the best you can without completely changing the team by changing Tyranitar to a Scarftar variant or some other variant with Pursuit.

Seriously if you don't want to accept criticism don't fucking post a rmt with problems ok?

(Sorry for sounding maybe slightly like a dick but you're just wasting people's time.)

Bluewind

GIVE EO WARSTORY
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Feels more like an attack than a rate...

Anyways, you should probably make Lucario Jolly, so you can deal with Pain Split and Specs Rotom. Also gives you some last ditch effort against Suicune, who really troubles your team. You should probably use a faster attacker that can help you deal with all that stuff though, preferably something that can also deal with Starmie, Jolteon and Suicune (a LO NP 3 attacks Celebi perhaps, though he's no ace against them).

Good luck

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. Don't listen to EspyJoel, he clearly doesn't know what hyper offense is about.

Anyway, I'd try out Yache Berry on Dragonite to make sure Weavile can't revenge kill it with Ice Shard when you're locked into Outrage. Also, I think you should use a Naughty nature, since Adamant will neuter Fire Blast.

Other than that, this is a nice team.

Jolly on Lucario is another great option, as it gives you a last-ditch effort against opposing Lucario, who are usually Adamant.

fatty

is a Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
@espyjoel: adding a scarf to tyranitar totally ruins the offensive pressure that the whole team is trying to achieve throughout the match. ok, you pursuit the rotom-a, now what? you're giving an opposing sweeper a chance to set up on tar now, which is the bane of any hyper offensive team. if you didn't notice, the entire team is trying to limit these set-up opportunities with taunt gengar, explosion zong, and offensive pressure from the rest of his sweepers. also, utilizing mons who have trouble with similar opposing mons / walls is actually welcomed on ho teams. this is because once you break through that particular mon, the rest of your team can sweep fairly easily. i'm not saying that you didn't already know this shit, i'm just reiterating it because it seems that you overlooked these aspects in your rate.

as for my rate, well...i really have nothing. it's hard to rate a ho team, especially ones with screens, because if you keep the offensive pressure in your favor, you can almost always overcome any opposing threat. furthermore, i like the originality this ho team utilizes. first of all, instead of leading with the standard screener azelf / uxie, you go the more anti-lead route with gengar, which lets you surprise the opponent, start the offensive pressure early, and utilize a sturdier screener in bronzong who can be useful throughout the match when screens are needed. secondly, you don't go the whole 'lo on every sweeper for maximum power' route. each sweeper, excluding lucario (he actually does he need lo), is using sets that not only make them harder to outright counter / check, but also allow them to act as lures for specific mons in order to help the other sweepers on your team.

i guess the only thing i could possibly suggest is what other people have already mentioned, and that's jolly > adamant on lucario. other than that, you're going to have to drastically change to outlook of this team to fix other weaknesses, but i definitely don't advise that due to how good the team is right now.

You think Light Screen are on Bronzong for fun ?

I play an Hyper Offensive team, it's obvious without the Screens I have issues with few pokemon.

Well ...

This is a pretty awesome team. I myself have plenty of experience with this playstyle. I used a very similar team to hit 1550 CRE on Shoddy. It is a legitimate playstyle and is often times misunderstood. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66519

Your team is classic Heavy Offense with a couple of spinoffs in Gengar and Bronzong. While these may be nice additions, you may want to consider Dual Screen Azelf and perhaps Chesto Rest Kingdra. Dual Screen Azelf gets that fast taunt/gets Dual Screen up nearly every time. It also gets the early Rocks which is usually very important so you can start sweeping immediatly. While Bronzong may seem great, it allows Skarmory to come in and start spiking against you. It allows Gengar to come in and get a Sub. It also allows Heatran to come in against you and get a Sub. CM Jirachi to start setting up, etc.

Chesto Rest Kingdra with dual screens does pretty well against most Rotoms you will fight and patch the team up against Starmie and Suicune. Adding Kingdra also gives the team more win conditions. Gengar has totally different counters from the rest of your team. Adding another pokemon which gets checked by physically inclined stuff allows you to muscle through the more defensive teams more easily. SD Scizor is another option. It adds a steel, useful priority, another SDer etc. If you use SD Scizor, you should definitly use Lum Berry on DD Tyranitar with Crunch for Rotom W.

If you don't want to change the structure of your team that much, I would strongly suggest trying a more classic DD Tyranitar variant. With dual screens your Tyranitar already beats Scarfed Flygon and Gliscor. You can try Lum Berry so Rotom can't burn you while you can strike back with a +1 Crunch. It also gives the team an option just in case you need to pivot Tyranitar in. The moves are really all your choice. I just think Lum Berry and perhaps Crunch are more suited to your team.

Great job on your success in the DPP OU tournament. ^^

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to suggest using 204 Speed EVs on Gyarados instead of the former 196. It allows you to reach 373 speed after a DD, outspeeding the likes of Jolteon and Dugtrio.

Also, YOU'RE SO ROTOM WEAK LOL. (jk)

If Rotom is that much of a problem you could try Lum Berry > Shuca and Crunch > Stone Edge on Tyranitar. DD up in its face while Lum prevents burn from Will-o-wisp (or random Thunderbolt parahax), then hit it hard with Crunch.
Although this doesn't solve the fact your lack a direct switch-in to it.

EDIT: Oh, I just saw Lizardman suggested the exact same thing, I didn't see that. Lol ...

Aga > 373 SPEED JOLTEON REALLY AGA ? lol Ok it make me faster dugtrio/alakazam not the most common but it's just 8 Ev to add, i note that.

If the opportunity arises I will test Tyra@Lum Berry.

Thx for comments.

Agammemnon

A wild Zubat appears!
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fuck you, it was a Zoroark.
I was confused while writting my post I guess, I apologize.
Anyway, it's still useful.

It has also been an early rock, usually is very important, so you can start sweeping immediatly. Although Bronzong may seem large, it allows Skarmory to and you began to spike.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)