NU Combinations

This thread is based off of Aldarons original combinations thread found here. The purpose of this topic is to discuss partners for key pokemon, as well as assisting new members of the NU community in their integration from OU to NU.

The types of combinations are as follows:

Defensive Combinations: These are two(or more) pokemon that complement each other defensively. SkarmBliss in ADV is a great example of this. Skarmory had the ability to absorb nearly all physical blows with ease, while Blissey would never die to a special onslaught. Note that this does not mean stall combinations as there are offensive pokemon with great synergy as well. Such as Celebi and Heatran.

Offensive Combinations: pokemon who have the coverage and power between them so it is difficult to handle.
trickroom said:
An example would be Choice Specs Kyogre and Choice Band Tyranitar. Tyranitar gets rid of Palkia not stuck on Water-type attacks with Pursuit while OHKOing Ludicolo with Stone Edge at the same time. Kyogre on the other hand, smashes Groudon with Water- or Ice-type attacks.
Mixed Combinations: Pokemon that work as both offensive and defensive combinations in some capacity.
aldaron said:
An example would be Gyarados and Magnezone; they cover each other's weaknesses perfectly and 1 hits hard from the physical side while the other hits hard from the special side, meaning they cover each other offensively as well.
Other Combinations: Pokemon who work together in other ways. Like a toxic spikes user and a substitute + calm mind sweeper. Or a spiker and a pokemon with a lot of power but not enough to break through walls without spikes. Even a lure and a sweeper can count as a combinations.

The format for submissions is:

[Pokemon A@item and nature, move 1 / move 2 / move 3 / move 4 + Pokemon B@item and nature, move 1 / move 2 / move 3 / move 4]

[Combination Type]

[Brief explanation (no more than 4 sentences, you can give specific names to the pokemon to provide a more in detail look at the combination)]

[What this combination doesn't work on]

[What direction to go in order to fix what it doesn't work on]

this is somewhat flexible if it is not aesthetically pleasing(I just c/p'd it from the other combinations thread) so if you want to make changes to the way you lay out the submission go ahead. Also use hide tags it will stpo this thread from getting clogged up.

I'll get us started then.

[

Gurdurr@eviolite and adamant, Bulk Up / Drain Punch / Mach Punch / Payback +

Duosion@eviolite and bold, Psychic/ Hidden Power Fighting / Recover/ Calm Mind]

Mixed Combination

Gurdurr and Duosion work in a very similar way to Conkeldurr and Reuniclus. Both are extremely powerful; with Gurdurr having a 105 base attack stat and Duosion having a base 125 special attack stat. This allows them to handle many offensive threats such as Absol, Swellow, Magmortar(sometimes), Sawk etc.

This combination struggles against bulky psychic types mainly, being setup bait for Mesprit, Musharna, opposing Duosion etc. Exeggutor can switch in and fire off a leaf storm easily as well. Rotom-S can come in on Gurdurr and fire off attacks, or trick with ease.

This weaknesses are very apparent but can be handled, Absol can be used to handle bulky psychic types, though he is frail and struggles to switch in. Skuntank has better typing and can also trap them. Rotom-S is easily handled by a rock type suck as golem. Another option is to use Armaldo, who can use X-Scissor and Stone Edge to handle all the threats.

This is just a quick example of how i'd like this thread to work; I could have gone more in depth but I brief synopsis is more important than rambling. Anyways a final rule is only use competitive pokemon. So I'm sorry, no switcheroo furret and specs delibird combinations. It just isnt viable. Feel free to use obscure pokemon if they work though, it can add diversity to the metagame. I also plan on making the thread look nicer in the future, im bad at formatting though.

Anyways: submit your combinations!

EDIT: I like this format with the pictures so i'll edit mine in with it tomorrow

Ok so I now present the Core Index! Cores that have been well received will be posted linked to here.

Defensive Cores:
Quagsire + Tangela + Flareon
Lickilicky + Luxray
Golbat + Probopass
Quagsire + Articuno
Shelgon + Miltank

Offensive Cores:
Altaria + Torterra + Samurott
Magmortar + Marowak
Ninjask + Musharna + Marowak + Cradily
Simisage + Relicanth
Golem + Linoone + Skuntank
Rampardos + Cryogonal + Butterfree
Magmortar + Samurott + Vileplume
Leafeon + Carracosta + Magmortar + Musharna

Mixed Cores
Cacturne + Muk
Magmortar + Cacturne + Alomomola + Grumpig

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ill start off this thread with a few combinations ive found to be effective!

Combination type: defensive

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Tangela (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Flareon (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Lava Plume

these three wall most of the threats in the tier Tangela walls most physical threats in the tier, while also checking things like CB sawk, to show tangela's incedible defensive ability, guts boosted swellow brave bird doesnt OHKO, meaning i can get past birds rather easily by switching between tangela and quagsire. Flareon has wish to heal tangela, quagsire, and their teammates, as well as having heal bell to cleric while also checking jynx and magmortar that trouble the other two. Quagsire can take on most of the boosting threats in the tier that set up on tangela (except gorebyss, who tangela can take before it boosts), as well as be a check to samurott, who can simply break though this core with its sheer power.

issues with this core: TOXIC SPIKES AND THATS HOPEFULLY IT,gorebyss is troublesome after a boost but otherwise meh, havent seen one pokemon beat down this core

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Lickilicky (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Body Slam

Luxray (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Discharge
- Volt Switch
- Toxic
- Roar

Pretty good two-mon core that can both stall foes out, and provide setup opportunities for your sweepers. Lickilicky handles the special attackers, ad rovides Luxray with Wish and Heal Bell support. Meanwhile, Luxray takes physical hits with intimidate, and provides status control, letting you Paralyse or Poison opponents as required. Both members of the core can Paralyse, and Luxray can also phase. Luxray can also switch in and out combat repeatedly with Volt Switch, meaning this core isn't setup bait for certain sweepers. Probopass is a pain, though.

Got me to #9 so it has to be good :p

Cacturne (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Spikes
- Seed Bomb

+

Muk (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
- Gunk Shot
- Brick Break
- Ice Punch
- Shadow Sneak

Mukturne is a new core i've been trying and it works very well offensively and defensively. Cacturne takes ground and psychic attacks and Muk tanks fighting and Bug moves with ease. Cacturne also provides spike support for Muk, making Gunk Shot even deadlier and lowering the number of switch ins to only the bulkiest of pokemon in the tier. Muk can throw off high powered moves in order to weaken the opposition for a late game cacturne sweep as well. With SD + Sucker Punch being enough to clean up most games. unlike most physical cores this is not screwed over by Quagsire, and can actually use him as set up fodder. This core does have problems, extremely high powered moves(Like Torterra) can be difficult to switch in to even with the resist. But over all its a solid core that works on many offensive teams

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is a Trifecta of an offensive core: I came up with SpecsTaria, DTC with the brilliant addition of CBTerra, and MolK with the cushion of SDRott to set up on Ice-type moves.

SpecsTaria
@ Choice Specs
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SAtk / 64 Spe
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Rest
Dragon- and Fire-type attacks provide perfect coverage in NU and with Specs Altaria can tear holes apart against an enemy team. Due to this, Altaria has 2 slots open for it to abuse. HP Ground allows Altaria to 2HKO even 252 HP / 252 SpD Bastiodon and Probopass, and since SpecsTaria forces switches and has great bulk Rest is used to allow Altaria to last much longer to keep spamming powerful attacks. EVs allow Altaria to outspeed Adamant Torterra and smack it with a Draco Meteor. With 192 HP investment Altaria also becomes a great pivot capable of taking a hit against things like Specs Exeggutor and retaliating with a Draco Meteor or Fire Blast.

+

CBTerra
@ Choice Band
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
Takes down everything that SpecsTaria will have trouble with and is a general hard hitting pokemon capable of taking hits. Sood Hammer and Earthquake are powerful dual STABs, while Stone Edge hits Flying-type Pokemon that would like to come in on Torterra's STAB Grass- and Ground-type moves. Superpower is a reliable way of taking down any Cradily spread there is, opening a hole for Altaria or Samurott.

+

SDRott
@ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Takes the Ice-type moves thrown at either Altaria or Torterra, taking the time to set-up a Swords Dance and sweep against an opponent's team whose walls have been torn to pieces by Altaria and Torterra. When not late-game sweeping, Samurott's Aqua Jet is useful for getting rid of Magmortar early if it has HP Ice or any other dangerous Pokemon at low health. Also while Tangela might be dangerous to this core, when given the chance a +2 LO Samurott will take down a Tangela at full health 87% of the time, but with the prevalence of Stealth Rock, its guaranteed.

=

This is a powerful offensive core based mostly around SpecsTaria. Spectaria's Draco Meteors are very strong and a few select Pokemon can take more than 2. The list of those who can include: Specially Defensive Hypno, Tentacool, Gardevoir, Cradily, Bastiodon, and Probopass. All of the following get taken down by Torterra easily.

Now lets look at what counters/checks CBTerra: Tangela, SubSeed Exeggutor, and Weezing. All of these guys are obliterated by a SpecsTaria Draco Meteor or Fire Blast and Altaria generally has a safe switch into them. Even so this core has 2 members being X4 weak to Ice, which is never good. Samurott is there to take Ice-type attacks and take the opportunity to set-up, taking advantage of SpecsTaria and CBTerra tearing holes in the opponents team allowing for an easy late-game sweep.

@erisiascape: Luxray physical wall is a really surprising threat that I remember facing. I expected a physical attacker and switched accordingly but after it started Toxicing and Roaring stuff it took me a good few turns before figuring out what it was trying to do. By then it was too late... In fact that whole match was filled with Pokemon in surprising and strange roles I could've sworn I was being counter-teamed. It was a stall team that completely obliterated me, I hope it wasn't you! I still have nightmares about that Luxray.

It sticks out in my memory because I was going for #1 but after that annihilation I fell back down to #4!

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Magmortar (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Marowak (F) @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spd
- Substitute
- Bonemerang
- Stone Edge
- Double-Edge

Combination type: Offensive

This duo consists of a well prepared for threat in Magmortar and a not-so-common threat in Marowak. Players often underestimate the power of Marowak and switch in Pokemon such as Quagsire or other bulky waters to tank the hit, only to be 2HKO'ed by Bonemerang (Alomomola is an exception, but is mauled by Magmortar anyways). This gives Magmortar an easier time plowing through the other team with Fire Blast. It also loves to switch in on Tangela and Misdreavus, who are the most common among the few Pokemon in the tier who can withstand Marowak's assaults. Additionally, Marowak can switch in on Regirock, Lickilicky, and Golem to KO or damage them severely.

This combination is relatively slow and lacks priority, so anything with decent speed and powerful attacks such as Swellow or Tauros can be considered a threat. Hax is a thorn in the side of any combination, but can screw these two Pokemon over extra hard since Bonemerang, Stone Edge, Fire Blast and Focus Blast all love to miss (maybe just for me).

Since these two Pokemon lack the ability to take hits, pairing it up with bulky Pokemon would be a good idea, preferably something that can take water-type attacks. Other water types would be ideal, since they can lure in electric attacks for Marowak to switch into. Pokemon who can take advantage of walls being removed such as Cinccino also benefit as teammates. Hax can be fought back a bit by changing Bonemerang to Earthquake, but the ability to break Sturdy is EXTREMELY useful in NU.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have another cool core that I made a while back in January.

Magmortar
@ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

+

Cacturne
@ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
- Substitute
- Spikes
- Sucker Punch
- Seed Bomb

+

Alomomola
@ Leftovers
Trait: Hydration
EVs: 232 HP / 216 Def / 60 SpD
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Toxic

+

Grumpig
@ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell
- Psyshock
- Taunt

=

A nice balanced based core featuring F/W/G with Spikes, Wish Support, Heal Bell support, along with good offensive presence in Magmortar and Cacturne. Magmortar is either walled by Altaria or Quagsire depending on its Hidden Power right? Well Water Absorb Cacturne is a hard counter to Quagsire easily setting up Spikes and using Substitute to avoid status. Its spread also gives it enough speed to outspeed Wartortle and set-up a Substitute forcing our favorite Phaze-lacking Prevolution relying on Toxic out, giving Cacturne the opportunity to deal massive damage to the switch-in or set up enough Spikes for the next time Wartortle comes in to be taken down by a Seed Bomb.

With this Cacturne support Magmortar deals massive damage to any team but still fears fast revenge killers/scarfers, damage from Stealth Rock, and it taking itself out from Life Orb recoil. That is why Alomomola and Grumpig are there. The most common faster revenge killers and scarf users include: Swellow, Sawk, Jynx, Braviary, Floatzel, Rotom-S, and Magmortar. Alomomola easily takes on Swellow, Sawk, Braviary, and Floatzel, while Grumpig is a hard counter to both Jynx and Maggy and can deal with Rotom-S. Not to mention that Alomomola provides Wish support to Maggy and Cacturne while Grumpig provides Thunder Wave, Heal Bell, and Taunt support. Having trouble with Cryogonal or Articuno? Grumpig beats them easily with Taunt, Heal Bell, and Psyshock along with Wish support from Alomomola. EVs on Alomomola allow it to not be 3HKOed by a Jynx Psychic letting it easily pass more wishes to Grumpig or at least force it to Lovely Kiss Alomomola so Grumpig can wall it completely. Grumpig's spread lets it live 3-4 Scarf Sawk's Close Combats and take 5-6 Timid LO Maggy's Thunderbolts(Strongest move vs. Grumpig due to Thick Fat)

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is a Defensive Core that I have used in my NU team.

Golbat
@ Eviolite
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Super Fang

Probopass
@ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Volt Switch
- Power Gem

This is, in my opinion, one of the best two 'mon defensive cores in NU. Golbat is an amazing physical wall and easily takes the Fighting- and Ground-type moves that Probopass hates while breaking apart stall teams with Taunt and Super Fang. Probopass shrugs off the Ice-, Electric- and Rock-type moves that are directed at Golbat while providing team support with Stealth Rock and Thunder Wave. Thunder Wave is especially good for Golbat as it can now move before powerful threats such as Magmortar and Roost before it can Thunderbolt. Power Gem is a STAB move that can deal decent damage while Volt Switch is just amazing. The ability to bring in a sweeper safely with a super-slow Volt Switch should not be underestimated!
This two 'mon core alone can handle the majority of NU threats from Absol to Gurderr and even Jynx. However, I have found that Magmortar can easily dismantle this core with Focus blast and ThunderBolt while Raichu can also set up on both members with Nasty Plot so Quagsire can be added to shut down both while also having its Grass-type weakness neutralised by Golbat.

SpDef Altaria will really fit well with that, being able to take on Magmortar and Raichu, phaze, Heal Bell, and be a status absorber. Quagsire has to watch out for HP [Grass] and Grass Knot. Altaria is just such a good anti-meta Pokemon right now (well, anti-Magmortar!).

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
just posting here to say i updated my combination, i found flareon to be much more useful than altaria on this core, i mht use it my new RMT, should be fun!

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
SpDef Altaria will really fit well with that, being able to take on Magmortar and Raichu, phaze, Heal Bell, and be a status absorber. Quagsire has to watch out for HP [Grass] and Grass Knot. Altaria is just such a good anti-meta Pokemon right now (well, anti-Magmortar!).
Unfortunately, all NP Raichu run Hidden Power Ice which easily OHKOs after a Nasty Plot.

long quote
my offensive core can run right through that Molk. ;)

Introducing...the speedies.

Carvahna @ life orb
-adamant
-4hp 252 atk 252 spd
-speed boost
-waterfall
-crunch
-substitute
-protect

DONT UNDERESTIMATE THIS GUY. he is mini sharpedo that is great when paired with..

combusken @ life orb
-modest
-4hp 252 sp.atk 252 spd
-speed boost
-fire blast
-focus blast
-substitute
-protect

Combusken rips trhough physical walls like tangela and quagsire (i think ohko with some spikes) and carvahna rips thgrough special walls (like flareon) with ease. dont say anything bad until you try these two. they are very good.

Carvanha doesn't even 2HKO Specially Defensive Lickillicky and Quagsire. You really have to rely on hitting weaknesses. I think even Floatzel does it's job better, only losing out on STAB Crunch.

Combusken also has a serious issue muscling past Altaria.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
well, carvanha is walled by quagsire, and combusken is pretty much walled by flareon, so yeaaaah i dont think they would do much to my core :/

my offensive core can run right through that Molk. ;)

Introducing...the speedies.

Carvahna @ life orb
-adamant
-4hp 252 atk 252 spd
-speed boost
-waterfall
-crunch
-substitute
-protect

DONT UNDERESTIMATE THIS GUY. he is mini sharpedo that is great when paired with..

combusken @ life orb
-modest
-4hp 252 sp.atk 252 spd
-speed boost
-fire blast
-focus blast
-substitute
-protect

Combusken rips trhough physical walls like tangela and quagsire (i think ohko with some spikes) and carvahna rips thgrough special walls (like flareon) with ease. dont say anything bad until you try these two. they are very good.

Combusken is decent, Carvahna not at all and should not even be considered.

well, carvanha is walled by quagsire, and combusken is pretty much walled by flareon, so yeaaaah i dont think they would do much to my core :/
but vice versa. they are wrecked. with constant switching to proper wall breaker, it can get through.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Yes but they are worn down by hazard and LO damage every pokemon in my core has recovery meaning The speedies get worn down quite easily, while my core lives

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
but vice versa. they are wrecked. with constant switching to proper wall breaker, it can get through.
the idea of the term "wall breaker" means that it can break through the expected walls. to use a somewhat exaggerated example, people aren't simply going to leave lickilicky in on what they think might be sawk, would they? no, they'd switch to a hard counter of sawk, like misdreavus. i would not imagine that your two pokemon would be effective together at all because they a) don't share similar counters and b) therefore don't break down walls or set up sweeps for one another. i mean speed boost is cool and all, but carvanha seems to be pretty mehhhh and combusken isn't much better.

molk also pointed out that the defensive core wins there; they can just switch back and forth too and will always win that war, as whenever you attack they'll just have the proper counter out and regain the advantage. also hazard damage u_u

Molk

Godlike Usmash
heres another combination ive found to be quite good!

combination type: offensive

Ninjask (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Protect
- Swords Dance
- Baton Pass

Musharna (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Stored Power
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Marowak (F) @ Thick Club
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Substitute
- Bonemerang
- Double-Edge
- Fire Punch

[OPTIONAL]

Cradily (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Suction Cups
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb
- Stone Edge
- Recover

combination is simple, send in ninjask and rack up speed boosts and maybe a swords dance, then pass to the appropriate pokemon, marowak is there to break through sturdy and beat down rock blast golem, preventing it from rock blasting ninjask later in the game. Musharna is just a beast when passed a few speed booss, it can set up a quick calm mind and proceed to wreck anything without sucker punch not named scraggy with stored power/HP fighting, it also takes ice attacks rather well, the optional cradily can be used to prevent things like camerupt and bastiodon from phazing you out, and can set up swords dances on its own, adn has reliable recovery to make it even tougher to take down.

problems: taunt and cincinno, phazing if not running cradily

Mmmh that's a good offensive core ! Maybe you can slash a BP with Moonlight on Musharna, for passing the boosts to another mon if a good counter (like you said, Scraggy) is sent in. Just a little suggestion, since in the past i've used Musharna as a dual screener and sub passer and she work pretty well !

Theorymon core; it's only that way because I haven't tested its viability yet but it sounds great on paper to me.

Combo type: offensive

Simisage @ Choice Specs
252 SpAtk/252 Spe/4 HP
Timid / Gluttony

Energy Ball
HP Ice
Leaf Storm
Focus Blast

+

Relicanth @ Life Orb
252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
Jolly / Rock Head

Rock Polish
Head Smash
Waterfall/Aqua Tail
Earthquake/Rock Slide

Specs Grass-types are frequently eschewed for more versatile threats (or Exeggutor), but Leaf Storm is basically the NU Draco Meteor and base 98 spatk is solid enough to work with, and Simisage's speed makes it unique enough to consider using. Leaf Storm 2hko's spdef Miltank after SR, 1hko's all Regirock, plows through Quagsire and assorted ground/rock types, and it can catch the ubiquitous base 100s with its odd speed tier. HP Ice takes care of Altaria, as only offensive DD sets can outspeed it after 1 boost, and Magmortar takes 50% minimum if it switches in on Leaf Storm. Simisage's unique speed also enables scouting of sets, as if your Simisage gets outsped, it means the opponent is scarfed which generally gives Relicanth an opportunity to come in and Rock Polish, and if it's not they get to eat another Leaf Storm. In case you couldn't tell, Stealth Rock is really important to this combo, but defensive synergy with Relicanth is a pipe dream, so take a different approach and use Sturdy+Explosion rockers like Gigalith, Regirock, Sudowoodo, etc. People have explored Relicanth a lot more recently because of the research week, but it's especially notable for outspeeding scarfed Rotom-S after rock polish, and though Simisage isn't bulky, it can come in on Volt Switches and pressure opponents with its relatively high speed in tandem with its power.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spe)
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

Articuno @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Roost
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

Interesting Toxic-stalling core I've been using recently. Quagsire can take physical hits, while Articuno can take special hits. The Grass/Poisons that ruin Quagsire are easily dealt with by Articuno, while Rock-, Fire-, Electric- and Steel-type attacks are all easily taken by Quagsire (some SpD may be required to take on Magmortar of course) Meanwhile, Quagsire hits most of the Steel-types in the tier hard with Scald and Earthquake, and both have instant recovery to just let them stall out attacks. If you have Toxic Spikes support, then running Protect over Toxic on either of the two maximises your stalling potential, with Articuno hitting the Flying-type Pokemon that are immune to them hard with Ice Beam.

Rapid Spinners are obviously nice, but Articuno can deal with Grass/Poisons even when coming into SR, so they're less required for Articuno to be viable than you think. A Heal Bell user such as Lickilicky or Misdreavus would also be nice to prevent them from being Toxic'd themselves. Articuno doesn't make the best user of the move as its movepool is already pretty crowded.

I like:
Mesprit @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 20 Def / 120 SAtk / 116 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Trick Room
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
Torkoal (F) @ Choice Specs
Trait: White Smoke
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Rapid Spin
- Yawn

Using Trick Room and Eruption together works wonders

erisia

Innovative new design!
Avoiding other issues, giving torkoal 252 HP EVs instead of Def EVs improves both his physical and special bulk, as his Defense stat is already so high.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)