NU Combinations

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wouldn't Camerupt perform better in that spot in general? With a negative nature, the only relevant Pokemon between their Speed tiers would pretty much be Carracosta, Amoonguss (lol), Duosion, and Gigalith. Of those, Carracosta is likely to run at least some Speed, while Amoonguss is destroyed by Fire Blast or what have you and Gigalith is hardly seen at all. Duosion would probably be the only real threat to you under TR. And yeah, Camerupt has a much higher SpA stat and gets STAB on Earth Power, which is nice.

Wouldn't Camerupt perform better in that spot in general? With a negative nature, the only relevant Pokemon between their Speed tiers would pretty much be Carracosta, Amoonguss (lol), Duosion, and Gigalith. Of those, Carracosta is likely to run at least some Speed, while Amoonguss is destroyed by Fire Blast or what have you and Gigalith is hardly seen at all. Duosion would probably be the only real threat to you under TR. And yeah, Camerupt has a much higher SpA stat and gets STAB on Earth Power, which is nice.
Yeah, thats who I've got there now :D

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Choice Scarf GardeSawk is a amazing core to base a team around.
Gardevoir
@Choice Scarf
Modest
Trace
252 SpAtk
252 Spe
6 HP
Psychic
Trick
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast

Sawk
@Choice Scarf
Sturdy
Jolly
252 Atk
252 Spe
6 HP
Close Combat
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Reversal

Sawk can take care of special walls, dark types, rock types, and pretty much anything that doesn't resist it, and Gardevoir can take care of pretty much anything save for special walls and dark types. Plus it also trolls weather thanks to trace. If you can get Sawk in to take a really powerful attack to the face with hazards down, his reversal spam will be GG right there.

Entry hazards plus walls is the single largest issue for this combo. Also, since both pokemon are weak defensively, anything they cant OHKO is going to wreck them. Sawk has sturdy as its saving grace for your screw ups, but play Gardevoir wrong and she will be about as useful as a wet cardboard box.

This combo really appreciates a rapid spinner and entry hazards like most combos do in. Also, trick helps decrease the whole wall issue.

Golem (F) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Stealth Rock

Linoone (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
- ExtremeSpeed
- Belly Drum
- Shadow Claw
- Seed Bomb

Skuntank (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Aftermath
EVs: 160 Atk / 96 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Sludge Bomb
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Taunt

This trio has done a lot for me in the new meta so far. It all revolves around getting a Linoone sweep. Now what can stop Linoone? Probopass, Lairon, Misdreavus, Haunter and Tangela(off the top of my head) can switch into extremespeed without worry. The main difference from the set onsite is the bulk that this linoone runs, giving him MANY more set up opportunities. Now all of the counters to Linoone can be beaten by these two helpers. Golem takes on the rock steels(and haunter in a pinch) without trouble. While Skuntank can handle the ghosts and Tangela with Pursuit and Sludge Bomb respecively. The special attack evs allow you to OHKO Tangela after SR all the time iirc. and the 4 speed evs on Linoone are for 0 speed linoones. This combo works very well and it really dismantles weather teams

Endorfins

Your Worst Nightmare
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been using Linoone, as well in this meta, and I would definitely recommend Lum berry instead of Sitrus. The ability to set up on Sleep Powder and status in general is amazing, especially with all the Chlorophyll mons.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
I have to agree, Linoone is great in the metagame. If you can switch it into Volbeat or Illumise, it's an automatic GG, as rain teams tend to not have those slow, defensive pivots which also happen to be offensive liabilities. A lot of Volbeats let it just set up, but Espeed has higher priority than +1 Encore =P. They can't even Encore while Linoone sets up because of the high priority, and the best they can do is Thunder Wave and hope for some full paralysis. Even if it doesn't set up, Linoone can revenge low-health weather sweepers, which is awesome.

I think the point of Sitrus Berry was to take advantage of the extra bulk in that set but I agree Lum Berry is extremely useful for physical sweepers in general in NU.

I've been using Linoone, as well in this meta, and I would definitely recommend Lum berry instead of Sitrus. The ability to set up on Sleep Powder and status in general is amazing, especially with all the Chlorophyll mons.
I have to disagree, with the extra bulk the Linoone set offers it allows me to set up against offensive pivots such as rotom-s and electabuzz with ease. Against mroe defensive teams Lum Berry would be much more useful(I get so scared when i have to set up on Lava Plume's or Scalds) but in this weather-fest I definitely want the recovery.

I'll be back soon with some more combinations

Really i like this core that i build a team around this.

Core Macarena Dancing

Ludicolo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance

Jynx (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss
- Substitute

This core work really well, not only for Rain Dance Teams obv, work pretty good for teams very offense and balanced. Probably two of the big top special threat in a same core, this is p.cool, can sweep many teams easily.

The following core may be featured in my upcoming RMT, should I choose to make it.

NICKNAME REMOVED (Rampardos) (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch

NICKNAME REMOVED(Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

NICKNAME REMOVED (Butterfree) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Tinted Lens
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute
- Bug Buzz
- Sleep Powder

The basis of this offensive core is simple, keep Stealth Rock off the field and do as much damage to Butterfree counters as possible, Probopass and Charizard are both significantly weakened or KO'D, and other potential threats are weakened beyond use. None of the Spinners can switch in on rampardos, and the only one that can decently spin against the core(Wartortle) is just set up bait for Butterfree anyways. It's not a great core but its solid and holds its on in this meta

Since Shelgon is in the research week, I Figure I try it out as part of a defensive core with it's unique typing.

[SET]
name: Wish
move 1: Wish
move 2: Protect
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Dragon Claw / Dragonbreath
item: Evolite
ability: Rock Head
nature: Impish / Bold
evs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 Def

[SET]
name: Thick Fat
move 1: Milk Drink
move 2: Body Slam
move 3: Heal Bell
move 4: Toxic / Fire punch / Stealth Rock
item: Leftovers
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

This combo works quite well, since Shelgon's only 2 weaknesses are Dragon and Ice, with dragon being pretty rare with the occasional Altaria. Shelgon only has to worry about Ice attacks which are commonly specially attacks. Miltank can come in and take a resisted Ice hit thanks to thick fat. Miltank's only weakness comes from fighting attacks most commonly Sawk which Shelgon can easily Tank. Toxic users would destroy this combination if your team doesn't have access to heal bell, thankfully Miltank can use it.

Magmotar and Gorebyss can easily break this combination so carrying Quagsire or Ludicolo with this combination is recommended, it really depends which hidden power the opponent is carrying so it can be a difficult option dependant on luck. Haunter can easily break this combination if Miltank doesn't carry a second attack, Sub Disable Haunter definitely stops it. Toxic spikes is also very unfavourable to this combo so a poison type or a spinner helps but Toxic spikes aren't very common in the tier because poison types are relatively common.

^ The above core is very effective. I've been using that for ages on my balanced teams and it really does work wonders. T-Spike support is beneficial since it will free up the slot for toxic and Shelgon gets roar/d-tail.

Yep, i've try this core too, but with a CurseTank w/ Scrappy, she works wonder and Shelgon is a defensive beast.

BUMP this thread is to handy to die.

Magmortar (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 48 Atk / 228 SAtk / 232 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Flame Charge
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Samurott (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Torrent
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn
- Aqua Jet

Vileplume (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Effect Spore
EVs: 32 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Meet the offensive G/W/F core that I have been using to dismantle many teams. Magmortar and Samurott both attempt to sweep teams, using Flame Charge(ev'd to OHKO Cryogonal) to speed up and blast through teams without Quagsire / Altaria. Samurott uses the amazing power of LO to rip defensive cores to shreds(gg Tangela) and Vileplume offers an amazing offensive pivot who can throw off a sleep move, throw off STAB LO Sludge Bombs off of 100 special attack. The only Pokemon they are not able to break with ease is Altaria, as only Vileplume can hit her remotely hard. Fast scarfers such as Rotom-S can prove to be problematic but can not actually break the core.

MMF

Give me the strength to part this sea
Offensive Core:

Leafeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Leaf Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Baton Pass

Carracosta (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Toxic

Magmortar (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 24 HP / 252 SAtk / 234 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Musharna (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Forewarn
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass

I've been using this core over the past few days and its really solid. Leafeon and Carracosta cover each others weaknesses very well. Leafeon generally subs up and attacks or sets up SD's until something like Rotom-S comes in. Which you can then pass the SD to Carracosta and proceed to cause a whole lot of damage to the enemy team before being forced out. Magmortar is there to clear away opposing grass types and it really appreciates a free sub to wreak havoc. Musharna is there to sponge poweful fighting attacks that the previous three really hate and is a good end game win condition if the right pokemon are removed. Its also nice to pass of a CM or two to Magmortar and start nuking stuff! Also Musharna and Leafeon can form a BP chain of sorts and keep passing between each other until they break through the opponents defenses!

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Musharna (F) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Lickilicky (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Tail

This is an updated version of the Lickylux core that I've been using a little on a more defensive team, and I can definitely say it pulls its weight. While the first core was designed to deal more with the birds such as Swellow and Braviary, this core is designed to protect Lickilicky from powerful Fighting types such as Sawk, Emboar and Gurdurr. Musharna still provides excellent status support, forgoing a weak Hidden Power for more versatility with status effects. A Gurdurr of your own can easily deal with Absol, Skuntank, and Steel types with ease. Furthermore, while Musharna can't phase, it gets all-important recovery, making it less susceptible to being worn down itself. Although this requires Licklicky to run Dragon Tail unless you have another phaser, it admittedly prevents Lickilicky from being setup bait. The Speed EVs let Musharna outspeed paralysed Swellow. Because Musharna has both Moonlight AND potential Wish support, I've given it a Rocky Helmet to help it wear down physical attackers even more, and to break Sawk's Sturdy as it fires off Close Combats.

Offensive core

Seismitoed @Life Orb
Evs: 8 Hp, 160 Def, 200 spA, 140 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Grass Knot / Hp Ice

Emboar @Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Evs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 Hp
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Wild Charge

Exeggutor @Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
Evs: 56 Def, 252 SpA, 200 Spe
Timid Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Rest

Skuntank @Life Orb
Adamant Nature
-Sucker Punch
-Crunch / Poison Jab
-Pursuit
-Taunt

I love these guys. Having two great offensive type cores in 4 pokes is great (F/W/G in emboar, seismitoed, and exeggutor, as well as F/D/P in Emboar, skuntank, and exeggutor.) They all support each others in differant ways. Seismitoed is mainly an anti-lead who takes on most electric types and rock types, so he does well against the top ten lead usage guys. (the evs allow him to take hits from golems easier.) Emboar outspeeds a lot of neccessary pokes and destroys them with STAB flare blitz / Superpower. He also deals with tangela assuming you dont switch into a sleep powder. Exeggutor's status absorbing and offensive typing make him that much more effective at this job. He is able to work as a pivot, switching into status, putting something to sleep, then either hitting hard or switching. And when he is low on health, simply rest and be resurected by your lum berry. Last but not least, is skuntank. Skuntank is crucial on most of my teams, because it is so good at trapping psychics and ghosts. He works especially well here, as he takes on the ghosts / psychics that emboar and exeggutor draw in. He works along with seismitoed in ridding this core of troubling threats. He also is invaluable late game, simply due to his powerful STAB priority in sucker punch.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Offensive core

Seismitoed @Life Orb
Evs: 8 Hp, 160 Def, 200 spA, 140 Spe
Modest Nature
-Hydro Pump
-Earth Power
-Sludge Wave
-Grass Knot / Hp Ice

Emboar @Choice Scarf
Trait: Blaze
Jolly Nature
-Flare Blitz
-Superpower
-Stone Edge
-Wild Charge

Exeggutor @Lum Berry
Trait: Harvest
Evs: 56 Def, 252 SpA, 200 Spe
Timid Nature
-Sleep Powder
-Leaf Storm
-Psychic / Psyshock
-Rest

Skuntank @Life Orb
Adamant Nature
-Sucker Punch
-Crunch / Poison Jab
-Pursuit
-Taunt

I love these guys. Having two great offensive type cores in 4 pokes is great (F/W/G in emboar, seismitoed, and exeggutor, as well as F/D/P in Emboar, skuntank, and exeggutor.) They all support each others in differant ways. Seismitoed is mainly an anti-lead who takes on most electric types and rock types, so he does well against the top ten lead usage guys. (the evs allow him to take hits from golems easier.) Emboar outspeeds a lot of neccessary pokes and destroys them with STAB flare blitz / Superpower. He also deals with tangela assuming you dont switch into a sleep powder. Exeggutor's status absorbing and offensive typing make him that much more effective at this job. He is able to work as a pivot, switching into status, putting something to sleep, then either hitting hard or switching. And when he is low on health, simply rest and be resurected by your lum berry. Last but not least, is skuntank. Skuntank is crucial on most of my teams, because it is so good at trapping psychics and ghosts. He works especially well here, as he takes on the ghosts / psychics that emboar and exeggutor draw in. He works along with seismitoed in ridding this core of troubling threats. He also is invaluable late game, simply due to his powerful STAB priority in sucker punch.
This is similar to the core that I run on my team and I can say that it works extremely well. It has amazing offensive and defensive synergy and can all hit extremely hard. The only problem it has is that everything is fairly slow so fast sweepers such as Swellow and Gorebyss will have a field day with it. Running a scarfed electric type along side this core is a smart idea.

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...

Musharna (F) @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic

Lickilicky (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Dragon Tail

This is an updated version of the Lickylux core that I've been using a little on a more defensive team, and I can definitely say it pulls its weight. While the first core was designed to deal more with the birds such as Swellow and Braviary, this core is designed to protect Lickilicky from powerful Fighting types such as Sawk, Emboar and Gurdurr. Musharna still provides excellent status support, forgoing a weak Hidden Power for more versatility with status effects. A Gurdurr of your own can easily deal with Absol, Skuntank, and Steel types with ease. Furthermore, while Musharna can't phase, it gets all-important recovery, making it less susceptible to being worn down itself. Although this requires Licklicky to run Dragon Tail unless you have another phaser, it admittedly prevents Lickilicky from being setup bait. The Speed EVs let Musharna outspeed paralysed Swellow. Because Musharna has both Moonlight AND potential Wish support, I've given it a Rocky Helmet to help it wear down physical attackers even more, and to break Sawk's Sturdy as it fires off Close Combats.
They're both very slow and dragon taill is very weak which means anything with substitute and more speed than musharna (big deal) can set up. I use similar combinations because normal type is awesome for special walls but I prefer using the kangaskhan set you commented on my last RMT. I added extra description and why I prefer him to lickilicky on the project neverused thread. http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3466717&page=5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)