Dark Storm - Rain Offense

Dark Storm

Hello Smogon, my name is GearFlow and this is going to be my first RMT so I hope you enjoy it. Anyway, this team is a Rain Offense team that I've been working on for some time now, it peaked at 191 under the alt "On My Mind" and has been doing an excellent job so far. So enough with the small talk, and let's look at the team building process.

Team Building
So I started off with Politoed and Tornadus. I needed Politoed for the Drizzle, and I wanted something strong to abuse the rain, so I went with Choice Specs Tornadus.

So, at this point I needed a rapid spinner so that Tornadus doesn’t get worn down quickly, I had two options come to mind, Starmie and Tentacreul, I went with Starmie because I wanted it to be an offensive team.

So the team is looking good so far, but I need something to deal with Chansey, so I went with Choice Band Terrakion, as it’s really powerful and Terrakion is my favorite 5Th gen Pokémon.

So, I noticed that CB Scizor could be really annoying to this team, so I went with Sub Toxic Gliscor as it can cripple Rotom-W’s who like to come in on Gliscor.

So I needed Stealth Rocker and the first thing that came to mind was Dugtrio, so I went with it.

This team was good, but it had a few flaws, Latias and Latios could hit hard as there were no steel types, and Rotom-W was just a pain. So I added Specially defensive Skarmory and Celebi to replace Gliscor and Dugtrio.

That team did horribly, Scizor was so annoying and it had so many other flaws I just scraped Skarmory and Celebi. Then it hit me, Ferrothorn! It took on Latios, Latias, and Rotom-W. So I put Gliscor back in and added Ferrothorn. And that’s the final product so yeah :].

Meet the team

Politoed (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Perish Song

Politoed is only really here for the Drizzle to be honest. I went with Scarf because I didn't really want to use Scarfed Terrakion and Bulky Politoed. Scarfed song is really good for BP teams and Sub+DD sweepers, But other than that, it's pretty useless.

Tornadus (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Prankster
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Choice Specs Tornadus is so powerful it's crazy, hardly anything in the metagame can take two Hurricanes and live to tell the tale, the few counters it does have, Heatran, Jirachi, Bronzong, etc, get hit hard by Terrakion or just killed. So once it's counters are out of the way, with it's excellent speed and power, it's set to sweep.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Thunder

I never really used Starmie that much, but my god, it is so good, I didn't really think it would be "great" but I was wrong, Starmie always gets the job done, whether it's Rapid Spinning or just taking out another Pokemon.

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Quick Attack

Terrakion is such a great Pokemon, Scarfed, Banded, SD, whatever set it's using it is just excellent, by far the best Musketeer. Terrakion two best counters, Slowbro and Gliscor, both get killed by Starmie, allowing Terrakion and Tornadus to act as somewhat parallel sweepers and eat away at the opponents team.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Protect
- Toxic

SubToxic Gliscor is a great set, as it can catch Rotom-W on the switch with Toxic, and if the opponents Rotom-W isn't running full investment in speed, Gliscor can stall it out. Gliscor does a great job of taking on Terrakion and Scizor which is great as they're broth pretty common and strong threats.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is a good Pokemon overall. It's role on this team is pretty much to take on Latios/Latias and Choiced Rotom-W, it also helps with Volt-Turn which is always a cool bonus.

Summary

This team is pretty decent, although it does have a few flaws that could probably be fixed, you can use the team if you want and feedback on the team would also be appreciated. Thank you for reading my RMT and I hope you enjoyed it. :]

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team. I'm seeing a weakness to sun, as nothing likes taking boosted Fire- and Grass-type attacks so something like Growth Venusaur can easily run though your team if you can't keep Politoed alive (Scarf Politoed isn't very good in weather wars). To fix this, I recommend using a Choice Band Dragonite over Terrakion. This change keeps your team structure the same, but you now have a excellent switch into sun sweepers. Dragonite is a great fit on your team with Starmie keeping rocks away, and it also brings priority to the table, which is useful if Ferrothorn falls to TR Reuniclus (big threat to your team otherwise). Scarf Politoed seems unessasary here, as Starmie revenge kills almost all of the same things ScarfToed does, not to mention Tornadus is fairly fast, and Dragonite has priority. I suggest using a 3 Attacks + Leftovers Politoed instead. This Politoed can break down walls, while still being durable enough to win a weather war, which helps with your sun weakness. The extra bulk also comes in handy, as Dragonite adds another Ice-type weakness. Dragonite isn't as good as a stall breaker as Terrakion, so you could use a Standard Gliscor with Swords Dance, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Taunt. This set can break stall, as well as acting as a defensive pivot. Lastly, I would try Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball is mainly for Terrakion and Dragons, which Gliscor / Starmie can handle. Thunder Wave still cripples Terrakion and Dragons, but is also assists your sweepers.

Dragonite | Multiscale | Choice Band
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Outrage | Extremespeed | Waterfall | Earthquake

Politoed | Drizzle | Leftovers
Modest | 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Hidden Power Grass | Perish Song

Hope this helps!

Hey, nice team. I'm seeing a weakness to sun, as nothing likes taking boosted Fire- and Grass-type attacks so something like Growth Venusaur can easily run though your team if you can't keep Politoed alive (Scarf Politoed isn't very good in weather wars). To fix this, I recommend using a Choice Band Dragonite over Terrakion. This change keeps your team structure the same, but you now have a excellent switch into sun sweepers. Dragonite is a great fit on your team with Starmie keeping rocks away, and it also brings priority to the table, which is useful if Ferrothorn falls to TR Reuniclus (big threat to your team otherwise). Scarf Politoed seems unessasary here, as Starmie revenge kills almost all of the same things ScarfToed does, not to mention Tornadus is fairly fast, and Dragonite has priority. I suggest using a 3 Attacks + Leftovers Politoed instead. This Politoed can break down walls, while still being durable enough to win a weather war, which helps with your sun weakness. The extra bulk also comes in handy, as Dragonite adds another Ice-type weakness. Dragonite isn't as good as a stall breaker as Terrakion, so you could use a Standard Gliscor with Swords Dance, Ice Fang, Earthquake, Taunt. This set can break stall, as well as acting as a defensive pivot. Lastly, I would try Thunder Wave over Gyro Ball. Gyro Ball is mainly for Terrakion and Dragons, which Gliscor / Starmie can handle. Thunder Wave still cripples Terrakion and Dragons, but is also assists your sweepers.

Dragonite | Multiscale | Choice Band
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Outrage | Extremespeed | Waterfall | Earthquake

Politoed | Drizzle | Leftovers
Modest | 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Spe
Hydro Pump | Ice Beam | Hidden Power Grass | Perish Song

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the rate, I'll try this out, but wouldn't Facade be a better choice over Ice Fang on Gliscor?

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the rate, I'll try this out, but wouldn't Facade be a better choice over Ice Fang on Gliscor?
Nope. Ice Fang breaks other Gliscor plus Dragons immune to EQ. While Facade just gets rather useless neutral coverage and leaves you walled by Tangrowth and you can't even touch Gengar with Facade+EQ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)