OU Offensive Sand Storm

This is my newly editted team, having followed the advice of BTzz to the letter, as his suggestions changed my team very little, while improving it substantially.

So far I have noticed that I have a serious problem with Jirachi who just seems to solo my team as the last Poke every time...
I also seem to have difficulty with GOOD Sunny Day teams. (Not sure how with all of my x2 damage on Fire and Grass types)
I still have a Rain Weakness due to the predictability of ALWAYS swapping to Celebi or Reuniclus to deal with a Water type. It's not as bad as before because Celebi does excellent, however, the weakness is still obvious.

Gengar threatens me pretty well as I can't switch Heatran, Terrakion or TTar into a Focus Blast, and Shadow Ball whoops Celebi and Reuniclus.
My only option for him seems to be Gliscor, who usually is either at 20 hp, or dead whenever I seem to encounter a Gengar. And even still Gliscor isn't the GREATEST answer to him.

Tyranitar (F) @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 64 SAtk / 192 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Superpower

TTar starts off the Sand Storm, can take an EQ and smash Gliscor, Lando, and others with a OHKO Ice Beam.

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Totally takes out Sunny Day teams by absorbing Fire attacks, resisting Grass attacks, and having access to Earth power to take out Fire types, as well as good old Fire Blast to handle Sunny Day's Venusaurs and Exeggutors.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 224 HP / 252 SAtk / 32 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Baton Pass

Walls Rain teams pretty well, things get nasty when he dies, and he helps boost my Heatran and Reauniclus for some serious damage with +2 Baton Passes.

Reuniclus (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Focus Blast
- Psychic
- Recover

He takes care of Fighting types and can wall most special attacks with a Calm Mind or two.

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- X-Scissor
- Earthquake

DRAGONS BEWARE! Revengion is here! STAB Stone Edge destroys DD Dragons. And sweeps a lot of teams when I'm in a bad situation.

Gliscor (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Gliscor cleans house on this team, maybe more than Terrakion. He can wall fighting attacks and OHKO Fighting types with Acrobatics, as well as having great coverage between his two STAB attacks. He makes Breloom a joke (even when he is burned!).

First of all, You have a MAJOR weakness to water types, and that's something that really needs to be fixed. Reuniclus is the only one not weak to water and it doesn't even resist. It seems to me like you picked all of sandstorms top threats and kind of melded them together into one team. They are all quite good, but it would be better to get rid of some sweepers and go for defensive water resists. In my opinion, Gliscor is doing the least for you as you already have Landorus and Terrakion as extremely powerful physical attackers, and you're not using Gliscor for the defensive aspect here. Replace him with something like standard Gastrodon.
Also, I'd recommend using Stealth Rock on Tyranitar in place of Ice Beam. Staying in on Gliscor isn't a good idea, and it's always nice to be able to get stealth rock on the field early. You could replace it with pursuit instead if you really like having stealth rock on Heatran and want to make sure you can take out ghost/psychic types.
Calm Mind Celebi with hp fire may also help you a lot if you want to use that in place of Reuniclus. Resistances to water are crucial for sandstorm teams, and now you'd have 2.

Sets:
Celebi@leftovers
Bold
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire
252 hp/96 def/124 spA/36 spe

Gastrodon@leftovers
Sassy
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
252 hp/4 spA/252 spD

Good luck with the team!

First of all, You have a MAJOR weakness to water types, and that's something that really needs to be fixed. Reuniclus is the only one not weak to water and it doesn't even resist. It seems to me like you picked all of sandstorms top threats and kind of melded them together into one team. They are all quite good, but it would be better to get rid of some sweepers and go for defensive water resists. In my opinion, Gliscor is doing the least for you as you already have Landorus and Terrakion as extremely powerful physical attackers, and you're not using Gliscor for the defensive aspect here. Replace him with something like standard Gastrodon.
Also, I'd recommend using Stealth Rock on Tyranitar in place of Ice Beam. Staying in on Gliscor isn't a good idea, and it's always nice to be able to get stealth rock on the field early. You could replace it with pursuit instead if you really like having stealth rock on Heatran and want to make sure you can take out ghost/psychic types.
Calm Mind Celebi with hp fire may also help you a lot if you want to use that in place of Reuniclus. Resistances to water are crucial for sandstorm teams, and now you'd have 2.

Sets:
Celebi@leftovers
Bold
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Giga Drain
-HP Fire
252 hp/96 def/124 spA/36 spe

Gastrodon@leftovers
Sassy
-Earthquake
-Scald
-Toxic
-Recover
252 hp/4 spA/252 spD

Good luck with the team!

Rain teams shockingly haven't done much against me for fact of Reuniclus magically soloing teams, but I COMPLETELY agree. When I see Rain, I cringe, send out the Jelly man and pray. So far they haven't been too threatening, but I believe that is because I started last night at an 800 rating and now am at 1100. Meaning, soon I will be playing Rain teams that DON'T have issues with Reuniclus. (Played Gravity for a week and lost almost every match! ;D)

I will consider both of your roster changing recommendations, as well as the set changing.
I'll try them the next time I sign on.

I have also noticed that I have quite a problem with quick Dragons like Latios. Dragon Dancers don't get past their first turn with all of my Ice attacks, however fast attackers who can one shot my Ice users pose a serious threat to my team. I would really appreciate any advice regarding how to best handle quick Pokemon like that.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice! :)

A Rain Dance team would wreak havoc on this team, and most teams with a strong Water-Type wouldn't be too worried. As said before, lose the Gliscor. You already have enough attackers with Terrakion and Landorus. You also mentioned not being able to outspeed and kill Latios, I would probably suggest a Choice Weavile for that. You seem to have a major problem with Dragons all up actually, if they switch in on one of your pokes that doesn't have Stone Edge, they can get up a free DD and then absolutely smash you, probably taking down 2/3 pokes alone. I would give Heatran a balloon if I were you, just to give him a bit more chance to survive, with his attack he doesn't really need a life orb, just saying. Ttar needs a Stealth Rock as well, most annoying set up poke ever...
tl;dr. Lose the Gliscor and Reuniclus, and replace with;
as said before Celebi could really help, or else maybe even a Rotom-W, or a Weavile.
Ttar needs Stealth Rock over Ice Beam.

Rotom-W@Leftovers
Levitate
EVS 252 HP 156 Def 100 Spd
Volt Switch
Hydro Pump
Will-O-Wisp
<Whatever>

Weavile@Choice Scarf/Focus Sash
Pressure
Adamant
Evs 252 Atk 252 Sp and 4 HP
-Swords Dance/Double Edge
-Ice Punch
-Night Slash
-Brick Break

I think Rotom-W would be the better choice, but a Weavile is good for taking out Latios and dragons.

Pokes such as feraligatr sweep your team 6:0 from lead, i would recommend putting a defensive celebi or something in there

azumarill, feraligatr or even offensive toed gets a kill every time it comes in

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hey. Your team has a major weakness to offensive rain teams. You have nothing to switch into Starmie's / Specs Politoed's Hydro Pumps (Reuniclus is 2HKOed). Using a Nasty Plot Celebi over Landorus would patch-up the weakness to rain for the most part, while keeping up offensive mommentum. Celebi's resistance to Water- and Electric-type attacks coupled with sand should be enough to handle rain sweepers. Celebi has excellent synergy with your team, taking on special walls for Terrakion, and Gliscor, while forming good defensive combos with Tyranitar and Heatran. Landorus won't really be missed as Reuniclus and Gliscor are great stall-breakers. Celebi's NP moveset is pretty flexible, for this team is think dual STAB + Baton Pass is the best option. Baton Pass allows Celebi to escape Pursuit, possibly passing +2 to Reuniclus or Heatran. Baton Pass + Heatran works particularly well as Scizor will like to try trapping Celebi, meaning Heatran gets to fire off a strong attack for free.

I really think your team could use a Scarfer as stuff like Dragon Dance Gyarados and Dragonite outspeed and OHKO your whole team after setting up on Tyranitar. Using a Choice Scarf Terrakion is the best option for this team. Losing CB Terrakion's wallbreaking won't be too much of a big deal as your team has plenty of fire power. Quick Attack is useless on Scarf Terrakion so use Earthquake instead to hit Heatran and Toxicroak harder. Now for some minor changes. I suggest using Leftovers on Heatran as it's you only Steel-type so you'll be relying on it to take a lot of hits, you also have Celebi passing NPs to make up for the loss of LO power. I think you meant 64 SpA EVs instead of speed. These EVs allow Tyranitar to OHKO Gliscor with Ice Beam, paving the way for your Gliscor and Terrakion. Lastly, you could try Shuca Berry instead of Chople on Tyranitar. Gliscor and Celebi are great checks to Fighting-types and Shuca is much more useful so you can take Expert Belt Landorus's (huge threat to your team) Earthquake and OHKO with Ice Beam.

Celebi | Natural Cure | Leftovers
Modest | 224 HP / 252 SpA / 32 Spe
Nasty Plot | Giga Drain | Psychic | Baton Pass

Hope this helps!

As mentioned above this team has a major weakness to rain teams, whether it be Politoed or just a rain dance. It also has a gliscor as a lesser threat. Specs Politoed and starmie can easily sweep this team with the right offense. Terrakion an heatran will get OHKO'd by an offensive gliscor, which is extremely common. Jellicent, Swampert, and Skarmory could wall your Landorus and terrakion, and skarm would set up in your face while jellicent cuts your attack with will-o-wisp. Also, there's a bit too much ice coverage on the team. Landorus most likely won't even kill gliscor,because it's physically offensive. Tyranitar's EVs should be 64 in SpA, not speed. This really elps ice beam and fire blast. Here is a suggestion for your pokes...

Terrakion @ Choice Band | Justified
Jolly | 252Atk / 4Hp / 252Spe
X-scissor / earthquake / close combat / stone edge

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry | Sand Stream
Relaxed(+Def,-Spe) | 252Hp / 192SpD / 64SpA
Crunch / Ice Beam / Superpower /Fire Blast

As you can see here, the terrakion set has earthquake, boosted in the sand along with it's massive attack. Quick attack is just a little too ineffective. As for tyranitar, Ice beam and fire blast are stronger due to the evs placed in SPA instead of speed, which had no real benefit due to the minus in nature, and you can take out gliscor easier now. I also put relaxed, so that earthquake, close combat, mach punch, and bullet punch don't just OHKO it.

That's about it, i liked everything else.

As for everyone commenting on the 64 EV'e on Tyranitar's Speed stat, I just wrote it down wrong and will edit it shortly. BTzz hit it on the head there. Thanks for noticing though :p
Tomorrow I will take a look at all of the input I have received, and I'll post my new team to see if there are any other notable weaknesses. Thanks for the help everyone! I really appreciate it.

Rain can pretty much sweep your team, 5 out of 6 of your Pokemon are weak to it. You also have a large Gliscor weakness, as none of your Pokemon can deal with it properly. If Heatran goes down Skarmory will also be a problem. Use a Latios, Celebi or Rotom-W to deal with that.

I just updated my team on the Thread, please check it out and re-rate it. I'd love to see how to fix more of my weaknesses. :)

i would suggest a set change to some of your pokes for example :

Gliscor with the Sword Dance set , it can resist many Fighting attack and it could take +1 Outrage from Dnite, Haxorus and Salamence so you don't depend only at Terrakion for cleaning out the dragons

Celebi with another set cuz it could be easily walled by most Scizor so adding HP Fire is a good option so it is Earthpower for Heatran .

i see that Gastrodon with Storm Drain can help in your team i tested on my own team and can take many hit from rain teams and stall with Recover/Toxic combo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)