Challenge The Scramble Challenge - Mark 2

CHAPTER 16 of Ruby is up!

Skarm's in jail, the volcano erupted, and another one (or two) (or three) of his pokemon died...and oh yeah, FUCK MAXIE

man this run is nasty. But feel free to read, speculate, whatever!

Hey guys! I just finished part 1 of my Scramble.

Here it is.

It is a bit slow paced because there isn't many battles in the first 15 minutes of Pokemon games, but it will get better over time. Constructive criticism and suggestions are always welcomed.

I'm thinking about running ANOTHER EMERALD RUN, but my nuzlocke run is getting interesting. You guys have lots of creative challenges to dump off?

Hey, I had a quick question. I want to post updates for my LeafGreen Scramble, probably nothing spectacular like nyttyn, but I wanted to know how to post images, as whenever I have tried, just an error box pops up. I've been on this forum for a while now, albeit, not posting too frequently, but I want to know, as the only guide I could find for this on the forums referred to some buttons that don't appear to exist... As such, I realize this is probably the incorrect place to post this question, but I'm unsure as to where I should put it, and I know some of you know the answer, and if it is a problem, I can delete this post. I just want to know how to post images, and on the same note, how to include links to posts, so I can type Update 1, but have it be a link to that post. Lastly, how to make the Hide tabs, but with text in them, so it says something in the tab, before you click on show. Sorry for any inconvenience , but I really want to know. Thanks for help in advance!

Hey, I had a quick question. I want to post updates for my LeafGreen Scramble, probably nothing spectacular like nyttyn, but I wanted to know how to post images, as whenever I have tried, just an error box pops up. I've been on this forum for a while now, albeit, not posting too frequently, but I want to know, as the only guide I could find for this on the forums referred to some buttons that don't appear to exist... As such, I realize this is probably the incorrect place to post this question, but I'm unsure as to where I should put it, and I know some of you know the answer, and if it is a problem, I can delete this post. I just want to know how to post images, and on the same note, how to include links to posts, so I can type Update 1, but have it be a link to that post. Lastly, how to make the Hide tabs, but with text in them, so it says something in the tab, before you click on show. Sorry for any inconvenience , but I really want to know. Thanks for help in advance!
For links, it's whatever you want the link to say[/ur.l], and for hide tags, it's
content[/hid.e]. Make sure you don't include the periods for it to work.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
For images, it is

Well, I was anxious, so I started the LeafGreen Scramble, so here’s Update 1!

Pre-Scramble Shenanigans
Started in FireRed with access to the Safari Zone and went out in search of a Kangaskhan. Admittedly, I believed that this endeavor would take a very, very, very long time, but actually, I encountered something like 6 Kangaskhans in my first game, and successfully caught one. Nicknamed it Mama, as I had no access to breeding the Kangaskhan in this game, so Mama is at Level 25, and will be traded in when other Scramblemons on my team are near 25 also. Mama also had a Docile nature I noticed, which is fine, Neutral is better than some things.

1st Gym
So started LeafGreen strangely, I get Pacifist, but then throw the first Rival Battle because I knew you could. I just kept using Growl, and Rival’s Charmander used Scratch and got me a whopping 9 “Counter-Attack Counters” as EndQuote called them. So, for those unaware, you lose nothing from losing the first fight, as Oak pays for your loss. So, I noticed early, Pacifist was Lax, which seems fine, as I need him to sponge hits to get Counter-Attack Counters. I grinded a bit in the grass, to make up for my loss in the fight, and then when I got Leech Seed, I realized that the challenge got even easier, as Leech Seed was an Indirect Attack, and could be used without spending Counter-Attack Counters. Got the Pokedex, learned how to catch Pokemon, ignored 2nd Rival Battle, and made my way through Viridian Forest. It was pretty strange, I must admit, that I went through the forest fighting only 1 Trainer, the mandatory one with the Level 9 Weedle. Due to it using String Shot one turn, I used a Counter-Attack Counter, leaving me with 8 for the Gym. Albeit, 8 was way too many, as Vine Whip normally OHKO’s all but one Pokemon in the Gym, the Sandshrew. I wasted no time, went into the Gym, fought the trainer, I was right, Sandshrew took 2 Vine Whips, and then Brock’s Pokemon all went down in one hit. I ended up having 4 Extra Counter-Attack Counters, but the number goes back down to 0 after the gym.

Pacifist the Bulbasaur (M) @ None
Lvl. 13/Lax/Overgrow
-Tackle
-Growl
-Leech Seed
-Vine Whip
Comments: At the moment, the whole Counter-Attacking deal isn’t annoying me too badly, although, might start to be a problem later on, especially with his Lt. Surge solo. Current MVP and LVP.

Hello everyone, I want to do a Leaf Green challange. I want a normal mode challange.

The rules:

1. Not too much team members of the same type
2. I would like to use my starter till the end.
3. I want to use 1 gift Pokemon not named Magikarp ( ex. Eevee, Lapras etc, )

I look forward receiving challanges from you!

The spirit of the Scramble Challange is one of variety and appreciation for those Pokémon usually derided as weak. Who better emphasizes that spirit than the most neglected of the Eeveelutions?

Take the Eevee from Celadon and name it Variety. Variety must evolve into a Flareon, and its final moveset must be the following, exhibiting a variety of moves:

-Quick Attack, already known when you obtain Eevee
-Overheat, learned through TM50 (at Victory Road)
-Smog, learned at level 42
-Substitute, learned through move tutor at Fuchsia City

Each of these moves is obtained for Eevee/Flareon in a different way, and each has a different effect. This truly exhibits the variety of ways that Pokémon can become stronger, and it shows the true power of Flareon.

Stephan, take Fang the Rattata. Fang takes pride in its teeth and as such, must learn Hyper Fang and Super Fang ASAP. It also wants to prove its teeth's effectiveness in cutting down trees, so teach it Cut when you get it. Solo 15 trainers with the above 3 moves to evolve. After it evolves, it decides that it wants to rely on its teeth less. Get rid of Hyper Fang after it evolves. The reason for this is if they broke in the middle of battle. Because of this, Fang can't attack Rock-types with moves (potentially) involving its teeth. Finally, Fang wants to prove that it is a force to be reckoned with even if its teeth broke off by soloing a Gym Leader of your choice without using Cut or Super Fang. This can only be done after Fang evolves.
Have fun!

@ yaya0 and Naix, both are accepted. I think I'm going to solo Misty, because I still can use Hyper Fang!
I probably should've mentioned that the solo has to take place after Fang evolves. You can still solo Misty with it, but it would go to the "solo 15 trainers with only Hyper Fang/Cut/Super Fang" restriction.

@Stephan

Whenever I do challanges, I ask for creativity and obscurity with the Pokemon choices, so I feel I should give challanges using creativity and obscurity as well.

Onto the challange. How often have you used Goldeen in a Pokemon game? You get Goldeen named Flusher. You can catch Goldeen whenever you want, but you might not want to do it immediately, as get interesting when Goldeen faints. Once Goldeen faints, you can't use it again until you Surf on it in any Surf-able water. Therefore, if Goldeen faints at all before you either have Surf, or before you can use Surf outside of battle, you're out of luck. To evolve into Seaking, prove it's Water prowess, by Solo-ing your Rival's Water-Type at any point. Doesn't seem too hard, so have fun!

Also, I can't believe how much fun I'm having with my Scramble, I'm already ready to post my second update, which seems crazy. Thanks again to the people who gave my challanges!

Wow, really sorry for the double post, but I’m amazed that there hasn’t been another post, especially when there are challanges to be given! Maybe this thread is dying… Regardless, another update, very soon, but I was anxious and am having a lot of fun with this one!

Update 1

2nd Gym
Well, with the Counter-Attack Counters back to zero, I dodged the first trainer on Route 3 and took Tackles from a Bug Trainer’s Caterpie until I felt prepared. For possibly the first time ever my starter evolved on Route 3, which struck me as absurdly quickly. Fighting as few trainers as possible, I found my way to Route 3’s tall grass and prepared for a long session of finding a male Jigglypuff. Much to my surprise, the second Pokemon I found on the Route was just what a needed, a male Jigglypuff. It was caught without a hitch, first Pokeball I threw and everything. Well, I had a Level 7 Obscure now, but I thought there could be problems. I knew I had to do the old favorite, lead with Obscure and switch out, but I thought it would be difficult with Pacifist’s requirements. Albeit, it was a bit tiresome, stalling out Pokemon with Leech Seed and newly added PoisonPowder, I got Obscure to Level 9 and he learned Pound. Obscure then began to tear through just about everything, all the trainers I left behind in the forest, on Route 3, and even the second Rival battle, who I was surprised to see was still fightable after beating Brock. Obscure leveled up at a really fast rate as well, and Mt. Moon also went by quick, with no issues to note, although now having a “normal” Pokemon, Pacifist’s handicap was starting to become more noticeable.
Getting to Cerulean, I had decided I would solo Misty with Obscure as one of the required two Gym Leaders. I decided, it would be for the best if I got Meow Mix as soon as possible however, so I fought my Rival, who, with Obscure’s new Rollout, went down fast, and so did Nugget Bridge. On Route 24 I tried to fight as few trainers as possible, leaving some for training Meow Mix. I did this, saved Bill, got Dig, and finally made it down and caught a Meowth. I did what little easy training I could with it, and then was ready to fight Misty. Now, my strategy was simple, I would Disable Staryu’s Water Pulse, heal up, and start a Rollout combo, so I could take out Starmie in one hit. To make a long story short: I have never pressed the Reset button on my Gamecube more times. Nothing went right, I kept getting Critted, I couldn’t land hits, Misty was being un-predictable. It was terrible, but I needed to do it as, I have no clue who the solos would be as, first reading the challenge, I thought I would solo Misty and Blaine, and I’m still trying that. Eventually, after many a SR, I succeeded, and got the first solo done.

Meow Mix the Meowth (M) @ None
Lvl. 17/Modest/Pickup
-Scratch
-Growl
-Bite
-???????
Comments: You know you're in for a ride when it faints in the first battle. Oh well, the challenge is easy, I'm hoping I get lucky with finding Hidden Power, and Modest nature is good for the Dark Attacks. Low level from just being caught gives it Current LVP.

Pacifist the Ivysaur (M) @ None
Lvl. 22/Lax/Overgrow
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf
Comments: The challange is starting to show it's true colors. It's getting a little annoying, but with the soon to be obtained VS. Seeker, I can grind up the Counter-Attack Counters, which is sure to help, especially with Surge.

Obscure the Jigglypuff (M) @ None
Lvl. 24/Impish/Cute Charm
-Pound
-Defense Curl
-Rollout
-Doubleslap
Comments: I actually thought this challange would be among the worse, but for now, a Jigglypuff with Pound is great. Ask me about it come Elite Four time and I might have a different opinion, but at the current time, Obscure can usually 3HKO just about anything. Current MVP

@ Naix, thanks for the extra information. Now I really understand what my challange is.

@ Samurai 796, accepted. Never used a Goldeen, so I'm really looking forward to it!

Stephan you get Underdog the Cubone. Underdog is mad that it continues to be overshadowed by other ground types so it is trying to prove it is a worthwhile choice while at the same time showing what sets it apart from others. The first unique part about Underdog is that he can learn three unique moves, Bonemerang, Bone Club and Bone Rush. These moves are the only ground moves he may have. He is also the only pure ground type that can learn special moves like Ice Beam and Flamethrower to cover his Grass weakness. Teach him either Ice Beam, Blizzard, Flamethrower or Fire blast. With these unique features Underdog believes he has an edge over his opponents so he must learn Double Edge asap. To evolve Underdog must Solo ten ground type pokes to prove he is superior. He must solo every Ground type in the viridian gym(since some are other types) but does not have to solo Giovanni. He must solo Bruno's two Onix and the Champion's Rhydon to prove his use.

Also just finished my Fire Red Scramble and here is a quick summary of my team
MVP Wingful level 58

Wing Attack
Steel Wing
Fly
Return

Wingful's original restriction of no STAB attacks until I solo 3 gym leader pokes, 25 psychic types and 25 flying types left me struggling to defeat opponents with Theif. However, once that was accomplished Wingful had basically no restrictions and quickly became my most used poke. Soloing Lance with only Return only was difficult with his Aerodactyl but I used some X Attacks to overcome this.

Koops level 53

Surf
Double Edge
Earthquake
Withdraw

Koops was easily my most balanced member and extremely useful throughout the challange. He could tank hits and dish them out. He also had little restrictions besides the Double Edge KO move which wasn't too bad. Whenever I needed to take out a strong opponent I could always go to Koops. Withdraw was even useful many times when it came to soloing Blaine.

Da'Man level 52

Twineedle
Aerial Ace
Brick Break
Secret Power

Da'Man was really the first Beedrill I trained seriously and I was surprised by its power. The hardest part of using him was not being able to fight Psychic or Grass types and finding non stab type attacks to deal with Koga and Team Rocket. Agatha was a pain to defeat with her Golbats Air Cutter but Da'Man managed to tank a hit and 2ko it. In all a very fun and underrated Poke.

Guardian level 48

Fire Blast
Flamethrower
Bite
Strength

Arcanine is an absolute monster as many people know and for a long time was my strongest member. However having to switch him in when my teamates got below red health became more of a hassle than usuful and soloing Giovanni was a huge pain. Plus without any level up moves and because I had to immediately evolve him I was stuck with Ember until I bought Flamethrower. Great poke just not my most useful this run.

Grinder level 47

Rock Slide
Sandstorm
Explosion
Dig

Grinder had the worst luck when it came to hitting with Rock Slide. Every other time seemed to miss. Without strong STAB moves and a mediocre attack even with an Adamant nature Grinder just could not hit hard enough to find much use. However he did get to Explode on Blue's Pidgeot which was amusing.

LVP Random level 48

Metronome
Thunder Wave
Cosmic Power
Counter

Random is the reason I will not be taking any Metronome only users again. Very unique challange however, similar to challanges that requiring too much grinding I ended up having little enjoyment using Random. While Wingful's restriction required skill this required complete luck. Not being able to evolve until the Elite Four also hurt. Random's shining moment was almost KOing Blue's Gyarados with a Zap Cannon.

In all I loved this challange and am now on to my Emerald Scramble.

What’s the record for fastest Scramble completion? I mean, at this pace I’ll be done within a week of receiving my challenges!

Update 1
Update 2

3rd Gym
Well, starting out, I prioritized training Meow Mix, who wasn’t producing much for me in terms of Pickup items, only a few odd berries. Meow Mix, was starting to get more capable, at least being able to easily fight for himself. I also did the extra bit of training on the Route east of Vermillion. Pacifist’s challenge is pretty simple now, just stall out some Bug/Poison/Water type, and take like ten hits. After I was at around Level 24-ish with everyone I started the SS. Anne, fighting all the trainers pretty easily. Lucky for me, while onboard the Anne, Meow Mix picked up TM 10: Hidden Power! That was really lucky for me, as now Meow Mix can evolve normally, instead of what might have happened if he didn’t find Hidden Power this soon. Then I fought my Rival again, who got soloed, although not for any requirement, by Obscure, who performed a marvelous Rollout combo that took out all of my Rival’s Pokemon.
I got Cut, then knew I should trade in Mama, as she had to learn Cut, so caught a Drowzee, traded using everyone’s favorite: the GBA Link Cable! I taught Mama Cut, and then decided to test her out by going through Diglett’s Cave. Let me tell you, NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING can live a Fake Out from Mama, which astounds me. I had no idea Kangaskhan was so broken. It makes me very sad to think however, that Mama will become the Ultimate HM Slave. I got back to Vermillion, fought the three trainers with Obscure, and for the first time, Obscure got Paralyzed, but was in a Rollout combo, so I couldn’t switch out, so sort of a loophole? Now, I honestly thought the Lt. Surge solo with Pacifist would be bad, it wasn’t. I went into the that one fight with 16 Counter-Attack Counters, and that was way too many. Voltorb just Screeched twice, after dying to two Razor Leafs. I out sped Pikachu, much to my surprise, and took it out with one Razor Leaf. The most difficult part was Raichu, who I Leech Seeded and Poison Powdered, and much to my surprise again, Lt. Surge has a Full Heal. Then after a few Razor Leafs, Raichu went down.

Meow Mix the Meowth (M) @ None
Lvl. 25/Modest/Pickup
-Hidden Power (Ice)
-Faint Attack
-Bite
-Pay Day
Comments: I'm really lucky I got Hidden Power so early, as now, I really have no handicaps. It just happens to be this low on the list due to lack of use, once it evolves that will probably shoot up. Also, I'm making a mint on Pay Day, and am pretty pleased I got Ice for my Hidden Power as it leads to good coverage. Current LVP

Pacifist the Ivysaur (M) @ None
Lvl. 27/Lax/Overgrow
-Tackle
-PoisonPowder
-Leech Seed
-Razor Leaf
Comments: Has a lot of power, but I seem to use it less than others because of the challange. The Lt. Surge solo was impressive though, I'll give it that.

Obscure the Jigglypuff (M) @ None
Lvl. 27/Impish/Cute Charm
-Pound
-Defense Curl
-Rollout
-Doubleslap
Comments: Still packing the punch, as evidenced by his solo of my Rival on the SS. Anne, I'm not any less pleased with it, just more pleased with another team member.

Mama the Kangaskhan (F) @ None
Lvl. 28/Docile/Early Bird
-Fake Out
-Bite
-Mega Punch
-Cut
Comments: Oh my. This thing is a monster. If something lives a Fake Out from it, it should be revered as a god. The raw power is just beautiful, I think I cry a little every time I use it. I also cry thinking about how it's strongest move will be Strength, and I make it into a Mega HM Slave eventually. Might as well enjoy it while I can... Current MVP

Again I'm sorry for so many posts so recently, but I want to know: Is anyone actually reading these? If so, feedback? Thanks!

Damn, haven't been on Smogon in ages. And regrettably, I can't do my Platinum Scramble because my brother decided to take my game. >_< And I'm not doing an emulator. :| I still need to prose my HG and Black, but I haven't really been motivated. :L

13laze 13oy said:
LVP Random level 48

Metronome
Thunder Wave
Cosmic Power
Counter

Random is the reason I will not be taking any Metronome only users again. Very unique challange however, similar to challanges that requiring too much grinding I ended up having little enjoyment using Random. While Wingful's restriction required skill this required complete luck. Not being able to evolve until the Elite Four also hurt. Random's shining moment was almost KOing Blue's Gyarados with a Zap Cannon.
Unless I am mistaken, I never said anything about Metronome being its ONLY move >_>

EDIT: Oops, it seems like it was the rule :(

Sorry, 13laze 13oy......

*sigh* It seems like everyone hates Metronome no matter the rules....

RODAN

Banned deucer.
Hello everyone, I want to do a Leaf Green challange. I want a normal mode challange.

The rules:

1. Not too much team members of the same type
2. I would like to use my starter till the end.
3. I want to use 1 gift Pokemon not named Magikarp ( ex. Eevee, Lapras etc, )

I look forward receiving challanges from you!

take bang! the voltorb

must defeat the highest level mon of every gym/elite 4 member with explosion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 14)