The Sandbox

The Sandbox

Intrdouction

Hello, fellow competitors of Smogon. This is Touya again, with another RMT here on this forum. Now, this one, I hope it's better than the first one. Looking back at it, I noticed some errors in them. Like I was goofing off a lot, and sorta like, felt nervous back there. But, that's the average behavior for newcomers on Smogon. What can I say? Anyways, back on topic. So, after making the collab Sun team with Dr.Ciel, I started to make my own weather team, a sandstorm one. Now, I got help with my good friend, Ace on the Serebii Forums, asking for suggestions on how to make the team, like entry hazards and stuff, and boom! After looking up analysis', I finally made my team. Okay, the goal of this here, was to test out and experiment other weather teams to get into competitive battling. The goal also here was to test out a different kind of Tyranitar lead, seeing how most of them on a sandstorm team would carry choice items, or act like stealth rock set-upes. Okay, enough rambling. Sit back, relax and enjoy this second RMT I made. Sorry, no mint tea this time. I drank all of it.

Team At A Glance

|
|
|
|
|

In-Depth Look

|
|
|
|
|

--------------------------------------------------------​

Tyranitar

(Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 176 SAtk / 24 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Behold, the mighty and most popular OU pokemon, and the sand storm starter, Tyrantiar! It's pretty much an obvious choice for a sand team, am I right? Crap, I'm referencing my old RMT I did a while ago. Anyways, like I said before at my introduction, most Tyranitars carried Choice held items, or just be used for Stealth Rock Set-ups. But here, I went for a different moveset. The Subsititue+Focus Punch one. Why? Because Focus Punch has a strong base power of 150. Fire Blast is for KOing Steel, and Grass Types. Crunch provides a STAB move, which is quite reliable, and Substitute is for avoiding other moves, such as toxic for example.

Heatran

(Heatran) (M) @ Air Balloon

Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 52 SDef / 204 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Here, we have Heatran, the most used pokemon in OU. This set here is a little bit of a mix between offensive and defensive and also a lead pokemon as well, due to it being an entry hazard set-uper. Heatran is also one of the few Pokemon who can happily use Stealth Rock without any compatibility issues, having the held item, an air balloon, however, it can pop if it's hit by an attack. Earth Power is for use, when dealing with another Heatran, and Hidden Power (Ice) is mainly for dragons, and other threats to Heatran, such as Gliscor, or Landorus. And lastly, Fire Blast is for STAB, just in case, if I run into any Sun Teams.

Reuniclus

Jelly (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Now, we have Reuniclus, a dangerous pokemon to handle, when it comes to stall teams, and hinders it's ability, Magic Guard, which makes it not take any recoil damage that gets hit by a status move, or a held item, such as Life Orb. Calm Mind, of course, is the crux of this set, as it allows Reuniclus to take more hits on its uninvested Special Defense and makes it hit harder.
Even though Psyshock is a decent option to deal with Calm Mind Pokemon such as Latios and Latias, I thought I tried out Psychic instead, seeing how it can be a STAB move, and it's high accuracy. Recover is basically to heal up, and Focus Blast is used to get past Dark- and Steel-types, especially Tyranitar.

Rotom-Wash

Washer (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf

Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

The name for this pokemon "Washer" is pretty much appropriate. Why? Due to it's held item: Choice Scarf, and the ability: Levitate, making it immune to ground attacks, Rotom-W here has this team in the bag here. Volt Switch gives the advantage here to switch any pokemon that Rotom-W is afraid of.
Hydro Pump is a really powerful strong STAB attack move, hitting most ground type pokemon and offering super effective coverage against Fire- and Rock-types. Now, Rotom-W's biggest counters has to be grass, so Hidden Power (Fire), is a nice retaliating move when dealing with it's weakness. Lastly, Trick is for to mess up any special poekmon wall, such as Chansey and Blissey.

Forretress

Forrtress (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers

Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

Next here, we have the most common pokemon that is used for rapid spinning, and setting up entry hazards on the field, Forretress. This set takes advantage of the natural bulk and typing of Forretress in order to set up entry hazards for the rest of the team. Stealth Rock is the primary hazard, as it hits the most Pokémon and can cripple threats such as Multiscale Dragonite. Spikes are also used as many grounded threats that resist Stealth Rock are vulnerable to Spikes. Rapid Spin is a very useful utility move to have, especially for getting rid of Toxic Spikes as Forretress is immune to Poison. Payback is used in the last spot to put a bit of damage on Ghost types as they block Rapid Spin, but Forretress should not be doing much attacking anyway.

Lucario

AuraKnight (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb

Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch

Last but not least, here, we have, the threatening sweeper of this team,
Lucario. Nothing is more to be said here about this set, other than it's dominant with a good reason. Swords Dance is the crux of this set as it boosts Lucario's Attack to sky high levels. Close Combat hurts anything that fails to resist it, while ExtremeSpeed is a high powered priority move that helps Lucario sweep late-game. The coverage move depends on what you'd like to hit: Crunch nabs perfect type coverage and gives Lucario the ability to hit the pesky Ghost- and Psychic-types super effectively, such as Jellicent, Reuniclus, Mew, and Slowbro.

Importable

Code:
Tyrant (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 176 SAtk / 24 Spd
Quiet Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Heatran (M) @ Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 52 SDef / 204 Spd
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jelly (Reuniclus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 160 HP / 96 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

Washer (Rotom-W) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Trick

Forrtress (Forretress) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Payback

AuraKnight (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Crunch
Conclusion

And there we go. My second RMT here, and my sandstorm team. However, my team is weak to Specs Tornadus+Keldeo, and rain offesne too. Again, if you look at the style of this one, I actually did, got inspiration from my Sun Team that I made a while ago, but, I'll try to be more creative next time. And yeah, the team here was made solo, no partner and such, even though it did suck, but, what can I say, we all have to be independent sometimes. Well, anyways, thanks for reading my second RMT. If you like it, please leave a Luvdisc if you would.
If not, you can VM or PM me on how I can improve in the future when making these RMTs. Constructive or not, I can take it.

Final Glance

|
|
|
|
|

Hey!

Solid team you have here. Now looking at it, I see that, as you already said on your RMT, both Tornadus and Keldeo are quite troublesome for your team, Tornadus can just spam Hurricane on your whole team and give you a lots of problem since Heatran and Rotom-W aren't running a defensive EV spread so they'll die quite quickly during your games and since Tyranitar fears Focus Blast so it isn't a solid switch into Tornadus, in a similar way Keldeo can spam Surf on your whole team too and as I already said, Rotom-W are running an offensive EV spread so it can't tank Keldeo's attacks and it can just smash your team with Surf and Hydro Pump which OHKO both Tyranitar, Heatran, Lucario and Forretress and which damage hard your Reuniclus. Therefore, I suggest you to change Rotom-W's set in a Special Defensive one because a more defensive EV spread would allow you to have a better switch into both Tornadus and Keldeo, I'd use a standard EV spread of 248 HP / 28 SpA / 232 SpD, with a moveset of Hydro Pump, Volt Switch, Pain Split and Thunder Wave with a Calm nature and with Leftovers of course. I'd use Thunder Wave instead of Will-O-Wisp, which is generally more common than Thunder Wave on Rotom-W because it allows you to paralyze Tornadus, Keldeo, which are both big threats for your team as you already said so paralyze them is better than just burn them since the paralysis gives more problems than a simple burn from Will-O-Wisp on Tornadus and Keldeo since if you paralyze them, they still aren't a big threats for your team (Thunder Wave allows you to paralyze Latios and Venusaur as well, which is always useful since Latios can damage hard your team with Surf and Draco Meteor and since if Venusaur is paired with Dugtrio -which is really common nowadays- you can be some problem to stop it with your Heatran and Thunder Wave on Rotom-W allows you to prevent a Venusaur sweep when it wants to setup on your Rotom-W thinking that you can't do anything to try to stop it, obviously if you paralyze Venusaur you can revenge-kill it more easily later).

Then, I would try to use a different set on your Reuniclus, a Calm Mind set is definitely a good Pokemon versus Stall teams but they aren't common in BW2 because new threats such as Keldeo, Garchomp and Technician Breloom can be very troublesome for any Stall team. Therefore, in the current BW2 OU metagame a Trick Room set would work better than a Calm Mind set because a Trick Room set can give a lots of problem to any Offensive team, which are without any doubt more common than Stall teams nowadays, since with its pathetic Speed stat of 58, with 0 IVs on Speed and with a Quiet nature, Reuniclus can outspeed everything in OU, except for Ferrothorn which isn't troublesome for Reuniclus since it can't hit hard it, and then Reuniclus can damage hard opponent's team with its powerful move boosted by a Life Orb. However, I'd use a classic EV spread of 192 HP / 64 Def / 252 SpA with a moveset of TrickRoom, Psychic, Focus Blast and Shadow Ball and with a Quiet nature, Life Orb and 0 IVs on Speed obviously. You should also try Hidden Power Fire instead of Shadow Ball if you fear Scizor and Jirachi or if you want to hit hard Steel-types such as Forretress and Ferrothorn without risk a Focus Blast miss (which Focus Blast often does since it has only an accuracy of 70%, which isn't really good in my humble opinion).

After that, I suggest you to use Gyro Ball replacing Payback on Forretress, it allows you to OHKO Terrakion after a Close Combat drop, which can give you some problem since if your Reuniclus is weakened it can just spam Close Combat on your whole team and smash it without any problem. Otherwise Payback doesn't seem really useful for your team since Forretress hasn't a good statistic of Attack so it can't do a lot of damages on Ghost-types such as Jellicent and since you can hit hard Gengar anyway with Gyro Ball. To fight Terrakion in another way, you can try Bullet Punch instead of Crunch on your Lucario, which allows you to continue its sweep against Terrakion, which can always revenge-kill your current Lucario, and against Gengar and Choice Scarf Tyranitar too. My suggestion is to try both of those advice and see if they help you during your battles and if they improve your current team.

Finally, you should try to use Choice Band Tyranitar which, especially if you decide to remove Crunch on Lucario and to use Bullet Punch, is a good choice for your team. Bullet Punch Lucario works very well with Choice Band Tyranitar since it can trap and kill Ghost-types such Jellicent and Psychic-types such as Slowbro and Reuniclus which Bullet Punch Lucario struggles it. Personally, I'd use an EV spread of 152 HP / 252 Atk / 104 Spd (104 EVs on Speed allow to outspeed some fast version of Jellicent and Pursuit them before they Will-O-Wisp Tyranitar and it allows to outspeed Skarmory and to 2HKO it with Stone Edge too) with a moveset of Crunch, Pursuit, Superpower and Stone Edge, with an Adamant nature and with Choice Band of course; however, this is optional so if you prefer your current Tyranitar and you want to be original you can keep it but you can again try Choice Band Tyranitar and see how happens during your matches.

Good luck!

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Touya,Your team is very original!
For first you are weak to Rains and Water Spam especially then try the SDefensive set over the Choice Scarf set on Rotom-W,the SDefensive set with his massive SDef can take advantage of using Pain Split,and covers you by Rain Teams,Keldeo is very dangerous for your team(with the Calm Mind set after a boost he can OHKO Tyranitar,Heatran,Lucario and Forretress with Hydro Pump/Surf under Rain) and Tornadus,an another big threat of your team(With Hurricane and the Life Orb he can cause serious damage to the team,with Superpower he can OHKO Tyranitar,Lucario and give problems to Heatran.)
Try to use Starmie over Forretress because Starmie helps you a bit vs Water Spam(Politoed and Tentacruel are a problem with scald and Starmie with Natural Cure is a great help against them),Rains(Keldeo especially) and can kill Gengar,one of the most used Spin-Blockers.
Consider the idea of ​​using Bullet Punch over Crunch on Lucario,Bullet Punch is a good combination with Choice Band Tyranitar(he can trap-kill with Pursuit and Crunch Jellicent,one of the most dangerous threat of Lucario whitout Crunch.)
Tyranitar:His set is very original,I like it so much but I suggest you to try a Choice Band Set because the steel aren't a big problem for your team(Heatran,Rotom-W and Lucario can beat them easily) and Fire Blast is useless.
Heatran:Change the spread to 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe,with this spread you can outspeed SDef Jirachi,SDef Celebi,Dragonite(With Timid Nature),Landorus-T etc.
Reuniclus:Change the spread to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD because Reuniclus hasn't a good Defense and Tyranitar,Garchomp,Jirachi and others pokemon can neutralize him easily.Try also the Trick Room set,Trick Room is very dangerous in the BW2 Metagame

Starmie Set
Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 Spd
- Scald/Hydro Pump
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

Good Luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)