Call of Duty 4, modern warfare 1.

Hey everyone, I am soon going to buy my first CoD game. (CoD4MW1.)
What do you think of it? The only fps I own (for ps3) is Battlefield Bad Company 2, and I love it. How is this version of CoD compared to bfbc2?
Is it a good game in general? Thanks.

Because Modern Warfare 2 is a load of bull?

CoD and Battlefield are really hard to compare, they play a lot differently. The biggest adjustment would be the pace of each match. In Battlefield you cross large maps and sometimes go long periods without any conflict (especially while sniping). Maps in CoD4 are considerably smaller and you're in the fray for the full duration of the battle. Grenades actually have a use and guns react quicker to your input. The primary game mode is all about killcount, so you don't feel the need to push forward or fight your way out of a hole like BFBC2 game modes.

I'm having trouble comparing other aspects of the games' (or rather series') to one another but I may come up with more later. CoD4 is personally my favorite online shooter, it's just a fantastic game overall.

Call of Duty 2 was the best fps ever for me lol.. too bad there's only around 80 ppl or so on XBL playing it at any given time nowadays. I still play it sometimes for intense nostalgia trips that are much funner than other cods combined. =P

But between CoD4 and MW2, CoD4 is definitely better. I played the beta for BFBC2 and actually enjoyed it a lot, but I never ended up buying it, so I can't judge that. But buy CoD2 for 10 bucks too tho lol.

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually disagree with the whole 'MW2 is bull' shit that people spurt.

Ok yeah it has annoying as fuck areas to it (boosting, OMA tubes, tac knifing), but its definately a step up from CoD4. After playing MW2 so extensively I literally cannot go back and play CoD4 at all. It seems much more bland, and while it may have seemed brilliant back in its heyday, MW2 does that and more. Sure MW2 is not the perfect game I think we can all agree, but there is a reason 600 000 people play it every night on the XBOX.

Anyway in answer to the OP, yes its a good game but in my opinion you would get a better experience out of MW2.

Also BFBC2 is an overrated game. It may be because i'm so used to CoD but it feels sluggish to play and the community as a whole is much smaller (although in some cases that isn't necessarily a bad thing).

I actually disagree with the whole 'MW2 is bull' shit that people spurt.

Ok yeah it has annoying as fuck areas to it (boosting, OMA tubes, tac knifing), but its definately a step up from CoD4. After playing MW2 so extensively I literally cannot go back and play CoD4 at all. It seems much more bland, and while it may have seemed brilliant back in its heyday, MW2 does that and more. Sure MW2 is not the perfect game I think we can all agree, but there is a reason 600 000 people play it every night on the XBOX.

Anyway in answer to the OP, yes its a good game but in my opinion you would get a better experience out of MW2.

Also BFBC2 is an overrated game. It may be because i'm so used to CoD but it feels sluggish to play and the community as a whole is much smaller (although in some cases that isn't necessarily a bad thing).
Hahaha, you cannot be serious. You praise MW2 and then call BC2 an overrated game...

B-Lulz

Now Rusty and Old
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hahaha, you cannot be serious. You praise MW2 and then call BC2 an overrated game...
Considering MW2 is the best selling shooter of all time, and BC2 barely has enough people playing these days to make it worthwhile, I don't think its so farfetched to say that. I've put 20 days into MW2 (shamefully) and as much as it annoys and frustrates me, I still play it. I'm not even rank 10 on BFBC2. There is a reason why MW2 pulls 600 000 people a day and BC2 only like 50 000.

Mw2 was the first online FPS I really sunk my time into, and despite what everyone says, to me it just sounds like they are bitching about small things that only shit players would care about. Sure we deal with insane commando knifing, and the occasional noob-tubers (on the PS3 at least, can't speak for the xbox), but its part of the game and I play around it. With interesting strategies and a good group of friends and I always have fun, and as with most games I buy, I buy them to have fun.

Now I can see this thread is heading in a shit spiral towards MW2 flaming, so I'd say your probably going to enjoy COD4, I tried the Beta for BFBC2 and it was slow meh, and the controls felt like shit, on the other hand COD is a much more fluid play style and faster paced, and if you think you'll like that, then go for it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Forget these guys are saying, you should buy Modern Warfare 1 first because the story in 2 picks up where 1 left off.

The story in MW2 isn't a direct sequel to MW1, it works fine as a standalone. The only thing that really carries over is a few characters but recognizing them isn't a huge deal. There's one other reference that I can't mention without spoilers but I didn't even catch it right away despite playing the first one so its not detrimental to the experience.

I didn't mean to instigate anything, I have my beef with MW2 and this wasn't the place to bring it. I presume Despotar is getting the first game either for financial reasons or story purposes (which is unnecessary imo); he can't be oblivious to MW2's existance and has his reasons for getting CoD4, so I just gave a snide remake to Sei's response.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
You're still better off experiencing the first one before the second. The sequel still takes advantage of things you knew from the first and things you'd expect from playing the first. It also feels like the events of the first game have some consequence. Playing the first game in a series with continuity is always a pretty smart thing to do, if only because sequels in games usually improve alot of things. If you only care about the multiplayer, buy the second, but that's a really bad attitude.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
The only attitude you need is one of having fun. However you have it doesnt matter.

I suggest you get the second one. The Multiplayer is better than CoD4, there is more variety, and there is just about as much bullshit as the first one. The only worse things I have noticed in my 9 months of experience playing this game is One Man Army, bullshit claymores, and Noob tubes. If you know what to do, and beleive me the learning curve isnt steep at all, you can pretty much avoid all of these.

Buying any CoD for the single player is just a waste of money; the singler player is only worth a rent. When you make your decision, do it for the multiplayer only because thats where you will spend 99.99% of your time.

If you dont have enough money, the wait is worth it.

The only attitude you need is one of having fun. However you have it doesnt matter.
Words don't describe how much I agree with this.

Also, my 2 cents: I have played through MW1 single player, via... questionable methods. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than 5€ max for that (I am more of a single player). If you are going for multiplayer, then I suppose it's good. If single player, find some cheaper means to get it (I am going for the Steam price here, if it's used you could find it for cheaper)

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Modern Warfare's single player had one of the greatest moments in a video game in my opinion. Worth playing through to see that point. You'll know it when you hit it. Very impactful. Aside from that, decent game but nothing really special. If it's like $20 (which is what it should be at these days) just try it out.

pookar

Banned deucer.
as far as single player goes, i barely played call of duty's single player campaigns. I played 4 more than MW2, but BFBC2 more than both of them.

as for multiplayer

CoD4 > BFBC2 > MW2

If you've played all three games for a considerable amount of time (BFBC2 being my least played game just because i have no one to play it with anymore), you'll easily notice how superior CoD4 is to the other two games. MW2 is the most user friendly of the games, with its cheesey bullshit like noob tubes and commando + care packages, while BFBC2 does have sort of a learning curve even when youve played other FPS before. CoD4 is balanced. The best part about CoD4 is that if you can shoot, you do well. Not "if you can run around and dodge bullets, you can do well" or "if you camp with a heartbeat sensor you can do well". Its pure shoot the other person, with barely any gimmicks. Killstreaks are constant, and aren't overpowered. Noob tubes have a limit of two per spawn, not infinite (and dont have danger close boost). Commando doesn't exist, and neither does lightweight. And the maps in CoD4 are easily superior to MW2. Even the worst maps are a step up from most maps in MW2. The only problem you may run into in CoD4 is completely dominant parties that will corner you and destroy you, game after game. This happens in the other games too, but it is usually much more legitimate in CoD4 and usually less likely to happen. Aircraft in MW2 can completely destroy a game. not only does this not happen in Cod4 because of air balance, but you can only have one aircraft in the air at a time.

As veedrock said, the two (bf/cod) games play differently. But anyone who I've ever spoken to has always preferred CoD4 over MW2. I guess if you start with MW2 you won't understand the hatred for the game, but Infinity Ward/Activision literally destroyed a game series with the sequel. They easily would have satisfied a lot of people by keeping core gameplay, adding a shitload of new maps and adding a few things here and there, but they royally fucked that all up by adding a lot of unnecessary game breaking garbage. I still play MW2, but god is it an annoying game that almost never results in fun, just frustration.

I don't see why Call of Duty 4 is getting so much credit here. It seems to me that anything and everything Call of Duty 4 does, Modern Warfare 2 does and does it better. I never really had a taste for Battlefield Bad Company so I can't voice too much of an opinion on it. Call of Duty 4 is pretty much like a teaser for Modern Warfare 2 in my opinion, and the latter is superior to the former in almost every way.

I stopped playing mw2 because i got fed up with the crap that would happen in that game. Spawn tubes, commando knifing, camping. It really got to me.

I take it the majority of people here own 360s because no one has mentioned MAG yet.
If you're looking for online play, I'd highly recommend MAG. It's the first truly cooperative, squad based online FPS. Granted, there IS NO single player/campaign, but the excellent online experience more than makes up for this. Unlike MW2/COD4, you won't find many campers/noob tubers/other bullshit, as there are no rewards for huge killstreaks. Also, each game mode is driven by a time limit with an object to acquire/take over, instead of just kill count. Most people here are relatively cool and will usually help you along if you're new.

Right now its $50 I believe, but you can get it used for $30. Again, MAG isn't so much better than COD/BC as it is different. Highly recommended.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)