Double Trick Band Commercial (OU)

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
This is probably my best team to date, helping me get to a CRE around 1350. While it’s not terrible, I think it might need some tweaking to get it beyond 1400 and possibly on the leaderboard.
Current rating with adjusted team is 1440.

At a glance:

Team building Process:

I started with Specs Latias, arguably the strongest threat in the game on the special side. Originally I led off with this because it could OHKO Swampert with Draco Meteor, but I ended up getting trapped by Pursuit users Tyranitar and Scizor. I kept the same set but moved it out of its lead position because it can't set up Stealth Rock and could be used as more of a revenge killer.

The next member I added was Scizor, as it is one of the best complements to Latias. Scizor can take down Tyranitar, deal with Blissey (although I prefer to Trick these with either Jirachi or Latias), and serve as a revenge killer for mid game.

Rotom-H was added at first to avoid getting swept by physical sweepers like DD Gyara, Lucario, Scizor, as well as bulky water types. This is probably the best Breloom counter in the game, too. Later I changed Rotom-H to Zapdos because Zapdos can cover the same types Rotom-H can offensively while having a reliable recovery move and better defenses. More discussion on this will come later.

Suicune is my other physical wall, mainly for DD Mence and other Dragon types and covering whatever Zapdos leaves behind. It can also cover the fire weaknesses of Jirachi and Scizor. When Manaphy is moved back to OU, it will take back Suicune's spot, as they can run an identical set.

Originally, I had my last spot being a defensive Celebi with Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Recover, and Grass Knot, but switched this to Jirachi for Stealth Rock purposes and to better set up Latias. Especially with Zapdos, Celebi doesn’t have much of a purpose now. Thanks to Epic Cherubi, this is now Metagross with the spread he suggested. I really like this change as it takes down more than Jirachi did.

I like to have Lucario as my “ace in the hole” as with Extremespeed and Close Combat it cleans up the mess my other team members leave. After looking at my threat list, I switched this to a physical Infernape to cover CM Rachi, Magnezone, and Skarmbliss.

And now for a commercial break…

Perfect Pushup (Metagross) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 232 HP/232 Atk/44 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch
- Stealth Rock

[Analysis] Thanks to Epic Cherubi, this team has more power and stamina to take down even more leads. The Perfect Pushup outspeeds opposing Metagross for the 2HKO. Iron Head can cause flinchhax on frail leads to make sure they don't set up rocks. Earthquake is amazing on this thing. In one match, I Earthquaked instead of switched on a Heatran, outspeeding it and landing a OHKO. The only change I might make here is to put Ice Punch for Gliscor and Salamence because Dragons switch in a lot on this set, even though Metagross takes an EQ beforehand.

How does the Perfect Pushup do against other leads?

Azelf- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs.
Metagross- Earthquake for a 2HKO. The extra speed will normally outrun the opponent.
Jirachi-Earthquake it until it dies. You 2HKO while max attack Adamant Fire Punch only 4HKOs. It can't even burn you.
Aerodactyl- Iron Head + Bullet Punch
Swampert- switch to Latias
Smeargle- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs.
Infernape- Switch to Latias
Roserade- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs. Random Hidden Powers never KO and Sleep Powder fails.
Ninjask- Iron Head + Bullet Punch normally brings it down, if it Baton Passes early Explode on the recipient.
Heatran- switch to Latias

Magic Bullet (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Spd
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

[Analysis] It’s the Best Selling Magic Bullet! It slices and dices teams with one easy motion. Its recently added Bullet Punch has revolutionized the metagame. The Choice Band, Technician ability, and Adamant nature ensure extra power. It can also U-Turn to get out of the way of evil Magnezones trying to ruin its day. I remember someone on the chats saying that CB BP Scizor changed the metagame in about a week. They are right, as it moved Azelf and Gengar to lead only positions (unless they carry protect) and moved the metagame to more bulky offense because anyone not able to survive a Bullet Punch won't last in this current metagame for long.

Samurai Shark (Latias) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

[Analysis] Introducing the ultra powerful Samurai Shark, the knife sharpener that allows knives to cut through even the toughest of walls! The secret is the Choice Specs, which improves its power by 50 percent. When you don’t need the power, trick it away onto your favorite Blissey or Snorlax to lock them up for good! Call now for more slicing and dicing pleasures!

I had Timid at one point, but I think for a Specs Latias having a Modest nature is vital for a better chance to OHKO Swampert. Most of the time Latias dies by Pursuit and/or priority moves so more speed isn't necessarily more helpful.

Air Hog (Zapdos) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Heat Wave

[Analysis] Welcome to the Air Hog, the new RC plane that can fly forwards, backwards, upside down, and even sideways to wall opponents in their tracks! This Bold new version takes hits better than the leading competitor, Rotom-H! (more on this later) It also has a rechargeable battery and can slow down opponents to a crawl.

The Zapdos v Rotom H debate:

Originally, I had the standard Rotom-H in this spot (with Shadow Ball, Will-o-Wisp, Thunderbolt, and Overheat) with 4 extra speed EVs to outspeed other Rotom forms. In general, Rotom-H has seen lots more usage than Zapdos, and I’m not quite sure why.

Here are Rotom H’s stats: 304 HP, 320 DEF, 231 SPEED, 246 SPA, 250 SPD
Here are Zapdos’ stats: 383 HP, 289 DEF, 244 SPEED, 286 SPA, 216 SPD

While Rotom may have better Defense and Special Defense, Zapdos’ HP and special attack are much higher. Both carry the same type coverage offensively except Rotom-H has Shadow Ball for opposing Ghost and Psychic types. Defensively, both cover the same things except Rotom has immunity to Normal types (but in return he is Pursuit bait). What separates Zapdos from Rotom-H is a reliable recovery move in Roost. Roost can keep Zapdos to full health with Thunder Wave magic on occasion.

The 32 speed Evs outspeed Breloom.

Shamwow (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/216 Speed/40 SPA
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Surf
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- HP Electric

[Analysis] Are you tired of using paper thin defensive pokemon like Azelf and Gengar who can never take a Bullet Punch even if they tried? Try the new Shamwow! This shamwow has 80 percent more surface area than the leading competitor and can wash itself again and again! It actually gets stronger after more cleanings due to the exciting new Calm Mind feature, which can take you from down 5-0 all the way back to win! The Shamwow has an exclusive two turn warranty. Call now before supplies last at 1-800-SWEEP!

Manaphy can run this identical set, so once allowed back to OU it can reclaim Suicune's place.

Why these EVs: I have tweaked the EVs once again. 252 HP evs are for max survivability on a DD Outrage from Sala or Gyarados, both which could run through this team otherwise. 216 speed evs put it at 286 speed, outspeeding Jolly Mamoswine. The rest is put into Special Attack to ensure a OHKO on Salamence. Gyarados gets a OHKO with Stealth Rock up.

With Manaphy, I run the exact same set, with a possible exception of Tail Glow over Calm Mind. EV spread is 252 HP, 160 DEF, 96 Speed with Timid nature. This also puts Manaphy at 404 HP and 286 speed with 10 more defense points overall.

Gorilla Glue (Infernape) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE
- Overheat
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Stone Edge

[Analysis] Have you ever tried to glue a team together with that one final pokemon but realized your team had way too many holes? Try covering them with Gorilla Glue! Gorilla Glue is the strongest product on the market, and dries your opponent with little or no setup needed. It’s Mach Punch mode helps when you are in need of a quick fix. This unique version can outspeed the Standard CM Jirachi and OHKO it with Flare Blitz, as well as handle Skarmbliss with no problems.

The EV’s for this set have been fixed to a more generic 4/252/252 version.

This was the last addition I made to the team before posting. At first I couldn’t make a team without Jolly Lucario because Extremespeed was so great at cleaning up at the end. However, I couldn’t stop CM Jirachi and Magnezone could take out half of my team. The only type coverage I lose here is that I can’t KO DD Kingdra as easily lategame.

This is the set suggested from animenagai, with leftovers instead of LO. I ended up facing against animenagai on the ladder one day and the difference was having Leftovers over LO (along with some Ice Beam luck on my part freezing his Latias). I ended up winning 2-0 in a somewhat flukish match.

Feel free to change anything. Rate or take. Thanks for reading!

Final glance:

Threat list is coming as soon as I can post it.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Threat list:

Here are the top 30 pokemon in the OU metagame as of October 2009:

Scizor: I think Rotom-H is the best counter for Scizor, but Zapdos is definitely right up there. Psypoke’s damage calculator says that a Choice Band Bullet Punch will do only a maximum of 14%, which seems kind of hard to believe as it’s IMHO the strongest attack in the game after all of the extra bonuses are added. I don't think that calculation is even right to be honest. If Zapdos is down, Suicune or Infernape can take care of both Swords Dance or Life Orb Scizor versions (though Infernape has to come in under 50% for best results).

Gyarados: Virtually all of these will be of the DD variety. Again, Zapdos does a good job of switching in but cannot switch in to a DD Stone Edge if SR is up. Latias also works well as it shrugs of everything except for Ice Fang and can OHKO back with Thunderbolt. Originally I had a Celebi with Thunder Wave and Grass Knot on my team just for Gyarados, but I switched it for Scarfrachi as I said in my intro.Suicune has HP Electric for Gyara.

Latias This one is a struggle. One with TBolt, HP Fire, and Dragon Pulse could easily run through my whole team. CM ones could also set up on my Suicune leading to gg. Scizor isn’t a bad counter with Bullet Punch and is probably one of the better answers in the metagame for Latias.

Rotom-A: Most Rotom forms I see are either scarfed or bulky. Scarfed ones I like to paralyze first with Zapdos as he doesn’t really mind being tricked or anything else thrown at it. Latias can OHKO with Draco Meteor as long as it doesn’t get hit first with Shadow Ball. I’m considering moving Ice Punch to Crunch on Lucario (which I had for a while) but most Rotom don’t survive for when Lucario is around due to a lack of a reliable recovery move.

Heatran: Suicune is one of the best Heatran counters. Even if it has HP Grass CM Suicune can still set up and rest off the damage. Latias also works for those without Dragon Pulse. Infernape can take on the non Scarfed ones.

Salamence: Probably the sole reason Suicune is on the team is to counter DD MixMence. Though Outrage can do chunks of damage, Suicune can OHKO back with Ice Beam. Latias can outspeed Salamence and OHKO with Draco Meteor. Scizor is the number one switch in to Salamence. That doesn’t really surprise me, as a CB BP does around 40-45 percent without Intimidate. With Stealth Rock and Life Orb recoil, Salamence might be a terror but it won’t last long without some bulk.

Metagross: The most popular bulky lead has some success against this team, but not a whole lot. Zapdos is a good counter for Metagross with Heat Wave and Thunder Wave. Infernape can clean up with Overheat.

Tyranitar: BP Scizor is an awesome counter to TTar, so awesome that most of them carry Fire Punch and/or Babiri Berries now. Suicune can counter most TTar sets, but Scarf ones have given me some trouble in the past.

Infernape: Latias, Suicune, and/or Zapdos can deal with it. My own Infernape can Mach Punch it if it’s under 35 percent or so.

Lucario: Zapdos isn’t bad at countering Lucario, but it won’t win that matchup 100 percent of the time. Suicune can take out Lucario while handling some major damage. Infernape’s Mach Punch outspeeds Lucario’s Extremespeed while doing 77-89 percent. Extremespeed plus Stealth Rock plus Life Orb damage will do a maximum of 76 percent back.

Jirachi: This thing is a little bugger. The SubCM versions have swept me on a number of occasions. Zapdos is probably my best answer but is by no means a counter. Tricking it works only somewhat if it doesn’t have a sub up. I guess the best strategy is to make sure it never sets up in the first place, but that’s not really a strategy. Infernape has Flare Blitz and enough speed to outspeed the typical CM Rachi and can always OHKO it.

Gengar: BP Scizor nets a OHKO most of the time, but like TTar, it has adapted. The McGar versions aren’t too bad as either Scizor or Zapdos can take care of them, as well as Latias in a pinch. The most annoying ones are the MysticGar versions which counter Scizor quite well. Jirachi isn’t a bad counter if it’s still around, but that normally isn’t the case. Suicune can deal with MysticGar as long as it’s not carrying Thunderbolt.

Swampert: I’m seeing fewer and fewer of these lately. Setting up rocks is nice in the beginning but this is OHKO by SpecsLatias. Zapdos really doesn’t need HP Grass to counter this guy as Scizor, Suicune, and Latias all do the job.

Blissey: A lot harder to counter than it looks. With Natural Cure and a bloated HP meter, Blissey can last for a long time. My preferred method is tricking either Jirachi’s Choice Scarf or Latias’ Choice Specs, but that doesn’t always happen. Blissey walls Zapdos and Suicune, but Cune can set up CM if it has to. Infernape can always sweep in the end but I don’t like to switch into a Thunder Wave early on. Same goes for Scizor.

Starmie: Scizor, Zapdos, and Latias all can deal massive amounts to Starmie. Jirachi outspeeds it and can U-Turn it. I don’t have a spin blocker on my team, but that is one small sacrifice when I switched from Rotom-H to Zapdos. Jirachi’s main purpose really isn’t to set up rocks anyway, at least not initially.

Azelf: Most of these are seen as leads. Metagross can 2HKO them no problem. Scizor OHKOs with Bullet Punch. Screeners are annoying, but it’s not worth putting Brick Break on anything (Scizor maybe, but Superpower is stronger even after 1 attack drop).

Gliscor: Suicune has Ice Beam, solving this one. If needed, Latias has Draco Meteor and Surf. Taunters can be annoying but normally don’t do much otherwise.

Machamp: No Guard Machamp is fun to use, but it’s really slow compared to most of my team. Zapdos works with Paralysis, Suicune is bulky enough to take most of the hits, and Infernape can take it on late game with Close Combat or Flare Blitz, which is a 2HKO. Do I miss Rotom for this one? Kind of, but Payback is quite common on these now.

Vaporeon: Zapdos and Latias take these out. Suicune now has HP Electric

Magnezone: This guy is annoying, especially with Scizor on the team. Zapdos works ok with Heat Wave but that’s not a great option. Infernape covers the non-scarfed ones.

Skarmory: Spikes and Stealth Rock aren’t nice without a true spinner, but Skarm can’t handle Latias and/or Zapdos. That’s why Skarmbliss was so popular in RSE because Blissey walls these two. Infernape can counter both when it has to endgame if I know it won’t get paralyzed, and Suicune isn’t a terrible option for those without Taunt/Whirlwind, but most Skarm do these days.

Celebi: Hooray for U-Turn! Scizor and Jirachi can hurt with this, and Zapdos has Heat Wave. Infernape can always go in and clean up with Flare Blitz at the end.

Flygon: I see most of these as Scarfed. Suicune takes these. Latias takes care of non Scarfed ones. I once considered Flygon for Infernape’s place but Infernape hits a lot harder without a Choice Band.

Zapdos: There is a reason I switched to Zapdos. This thing is more tankish than it’s given credit for. Latias can OHKO it with Draco Meteor but outside of that I don’t have many options.

Dragonite: Bulkier than Mence, but not as effective with Latias and Suicune ready to take it down. Leads though have caused me issues in the past.

Forretress: Zapdos has Heat Wave. Infernape can OHKO if it has to or Suicune can set up CM. Forretress is meant to set up hazards, not attack. Most members of my team can hurt it some way but I can’t blow away the rocks or spikes.

Breloom: Rotom-H is the best counter in the game for this IMO, but Zapdos works fine, too. Infernape has Flare Blitz when Breloom doesn’t have a sub up. Breloom is sometimes a problem since Suicune is the only one that can really take a Spore.

Jolteon: I don’t see a lot of these. Infernape works fine with Mach Punch, and Latias has Draco Meteor.

Kingdra: Can be a force with DD, but Zapdos does a good job at countering this. Once Kingdra has a paralysis it’s done. Latias can Draco Meteor without a DD up, but that’s not a viable solution.

Empoleon: Can be an issue but Zapdos and Latias with Thunderbolt and Scizor and Infernape with priority moves, I don’t see more I can do.

I'd definitely run HP Electric over rest on suicune, for Gyarados, who can be problematic for this team. Alternatively, you could run thunderpunch over trick or u-turn on jirachi, but I think HP electric on suicune is a better option, because rest without sleep talk will only slow down a team as offensive as yours.
Hope I helped!

God I miss Billy Mays

Here are Rotom H’s stats: 304 HP, 320 DEF, 231 SPEED, 246 SPA, 250 SPD
97,280 (Defense)
76,000 (S Defense)
Here are Zapdos’ stats: 383 HP, 289 DEF, 244 SPEED, 286 SPA, 216 SPD
110,687 (Defense)
82,728 (S Defense)

With the stats you provided Rotom has 87% the defense of Zapdos and 91% the Special Defense. However Rotom is not Stealth Rock weak and is not taken out by Stone Edge or Ice hits. Zapdos is not Pursuit weak but Rotom deals with bulky grouds better. Your team probably benefits more from Zapdos since Latias is Pursuit weak and Rotom would be just another thing waiting to die to Tyranitar. Your abnormally defensive Zapdos (most run enough speed to outrun at least Adamant Lucario) should do fine. Keep Heat Wave since Thunderbolt will do plenty to Salamence and Flygon can't hurt you enough. Maybe drop Thunderbolt and Thunder Wave for Discharge and Toxic since you would gain a much broader range of things you could screw over. Tyranitar isn't so cocky switching in on Toxic, Salamence gets Paralyzed (and 2HKOed after rocks) etc.

Drop the HP EVs on Infernape. You will never, EVER make 10 successive attacks with Infernape without taking any other residual damage or lol, simply winning. You can either take all HP and Defense and put them into Speed or throw them into HP with the hope of surviving random Tentacruel Surfs or Latias Dragon Pulses. Most Jirachi do not run 309 speed, but instead run a few points higher, since this is the speed literally everything seems to hang around. 176 Timid Zapdos, Celebi, 216 Jolly Gliscor, some Salamence etc. Max speed reaches 315 which will safely outrun virtually any deviations from standard, unless the Jirachi (or Zapdos, etc) runs max speed in which case just go Jolly.

The second Latias blows its rediculous Draco Meteor load, Scizor is going to come in on the limp, exausted Latias and Pursuit her to hell. You have no problems actually killing Scizor, but its very likely you will lose your star player to it. Scizor deals between 17-20% damage to Zapdos with Bullet Punch so you weren't far off, but try using this calculator instead. http://libelldra.com/competitive/damage/

Substitute Gengar could give you trouble, but Jirachi can shoo it away once, and it will have issues taking on the rest of your team anyway.

Scarf Magnezone traps Jirachi and Scizor while 2HKOing everything else barring Latias with Thunderbolt. Latias switching in on Stealth Rocks, Thunderbolt and Sandstorm will force Magnezone out once, but Latias will then be 2HKOed when it switches in again. Infernape is outrun (regardless of Jolly or Adamant) and does not OHKO with Mach Punch (damage caps at 60%).

LO Agility Empoleon can give you issues but is nothing you can't take at full health.

If Latias takes a Shadow Ball, Specs Jolteon can 1-2HKO everything with Thunderbolt. LO Jolteon and offensive CM Raikou fares similarly. Neither are particularly common though.

Sub Calm Mind Jirachi could beat you if it runs Psychic or otherwise kills Infernape. Zapdos does decently, but after two Calm Minds Heat Wave won't even break Jirachi's Subs. Scizor can break the subs well and U-turn to Infernape or something to Trick it so its not anything you can't work around.

Mixed Electivire weak lol.

I can't see any other obvious weaknesses.

Consider running an Iron Head / Bullet Punch / Explosion / Earthquake Lum Berry Metagross with 232 Attack / 232 HP / 44 Speed over Jirachi. 44 Speed outruns other Metagross and Adamant Lucario if you are Tricked a Scarf. Iron Head over Meteor Mash because it doesn't lose out on any KOs and never misses. It is able to defeat every single lead barring Infernape and Heatran. Copy-pasting your lead matchups..

Azelf- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs.
Metagross- Earthquake for a 2HKO. The extra speed will normally outrun the opponent.
Jirachi-Earthquake it until it dies. You 2HKO while max attack Adamant Fire Punch only 4HKOs. It can't even burn you.
Aerodactyl- Iron Head + Bullet Punch
Swampert- Explode right away to kill Swampert and prevent rocks.
Smeargle- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs.
Infernape- Switch to Latias
Roserade- Iron head + Bullet Punch always KOs. Random Hidden Powers never KO and Sleep Powder fails.
Ninjask- Iron Head + Bullet Punch normally brings it down, if it Baton Passes early Explode on the recipient.
Heatran- switch to Latias

You would lose out on Stealth Rocks, so maybe put rocks over Explosion. Metagross counters many of the same things your Jirachi does, but takes hits overall better due to the HP investment. Mamoswine never KOs with Earthquake, and usually doesn't KO with the following Ice Shard.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
I tried out the Metagross lead and I like it much better than Scarfrachi. Thanks!
Infernape's EV spreads are now fixed. Swords Dance has also been replaced with Thunderpunch.
Suicune now has the original set again because it gives it more longevity.
Zapdos now has a 248 HP/252 Def/4 Speed spread to make it even bulkier since with Thunder Wave it really doesn't need to outspeed much.

What is the current status on Manaphy? I see it's OU but banned on the Smogon ladder.

Nitpick:Manaphy isn't officially OU as of yet due to the possibility of having yet another Stage of testing. also if your going for specs,Starmie works alot better thanks to its superior speed and access to trick not to mention its good coverage.

I suggest lowering the speed on Metagross to what I suggested. 176 speed outruns NOTHING important excpet some Magnezone which 44 speed outruns anyway. The only Heatran you will ever outrun is the Rest/Talker, wh is so rare its not even worth it. 232 Attack / 232 HP / 44 Speed makes it one of the best anti-leads in the game.

Not running HP means Choice Band TTar and Mamoswine leads will always OHKO you.

Team's pretty good. Only problem I have with it is that you need to play your cards close to perfect against stall, but I'm notorious for being too paranoid when it comes to stall.

Thunderpunch is no good though on ape. The only thing it hits is gyara, everything else gets hit harder by CC. I prefer the standard physically based mixape set:

Infernape @ LO
Naive/Hasty Nature
252 Atk / 64 SpA / 192 Spe
-CC
-Overheat
-Stone Edge
-Mach Punch

Good luck with the team.

edit: On second thought, the team looks quite qyara weak. Give Cune HP electric somewhere. Either just replace ice beam with it or make it a simple CM + 3 attack set.

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
With Manaphy now usable in OU, Suicune is replaced with Manaphy. Here is the set:

Manaphy@Leftovers
Timid
252 HP/160 DEF/96 Speed
-Calm Mind/Tail Glow
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-HP Electric

Basically the same as Suicune with Tail Glow.

To be honest, I have tried a lot of sets, from a physical waterfall+bounce to a specs set similar to above to a sub set to a Life Orb set, and I don't know Manaphy's niche yet. Manaphy might be more UU than uber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)