Larvitar (Analysis)

Larvitar

QC: [2/2] [Seven Deadly Sins] [Aerrow]
GP: [1/2] [Chou Toshio] (Thanks go to Calm Pokemaster for checking this)

Note: Frillish = Pururiru.

[Overview]

<p>With a fantastic ability in Guts and two good boosting moves in Rock Polish and Dragon Dance, Larvitar makes a great set-up sweeper. Not only that, but Larvitar also hits just enough speed to outspeed all unboosted Pokemon after a Dragon Dance. It also gets near-perfect coverage with its dual STAB attacks. Unfortunately, Larvitar has weaknesses to common priority attacks such as Aqua Jet, Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave, and Bullet Punch, which really limits its effectiveness.</p>

[Set]
name: Boosting Sweeper
move 1: Dragon Dance / Rock Polish
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Stone Edge / Rock Slide
move 4: Crunch / Facade
item: Flame Orb
ability: Guts
nature: Jolly / Adamant
evs: 36 HP / 244 Atk / 36 Def / 188 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>As a set-up sweeper, Larvitar can run a threatening boosting set with either Dragon Dance or Rock Polish as its boosting move. Dragon Dance is the preferred option, as it allows Larvitar to muscle through Pokemon holding an Eviolite. However, you can also use Rock Polish to outspeed all Choice Scarf users who have 17 Speed or less.</p>

<p>When using Dragon Dance, a Jolly nature is recommended as you will hit 21 Speed after a Dragon Dance, which is enough to outspeed every unboosted Pokemon, while still reaching a huge 36 Attack stat. However, when using Rock Polish, an Adamant nature is recommended, as Larvitar needs all the power it can get. A Jolly nature is still an option, though, to at least tie with all Choice Scarf users with 19 Speed or less, such as Abra, Staryu and Gligar. Earthquake is Larvitar's most reliable STAB move, and a staple on any set. Stone Edge is the main option in the third moveslot, because of its high Base Power which is further boosted by STAB. Rock Slide can also be used instead of Stone Edge for the higher accuracy it provides, but you will lose out on a lot of power. Crunch hits Ghost-types like Misdreavus and Frillish hard, completing the coverage. Facade also is a great option in the last slot, as its Base Power is doubled to a huge 140 when Larvitar is afflicted with a status condition.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Larvitar is extremely weak to Water- and Fighting-type priority attacks, often getting OHKOed by them. An Eviolite can be used to survive these priority attacks, but Larvitar will lose out on a lot of power and struggle to break through the defenses of bulky Pokemon. You can also use a Toxic Orb if you think Larvitar is going to stay in for three turns or less, but since Larvitar is meant to stay in, set up, and then sweep for as long as possible, Flame Orb is usually the better choice.</p>

<p>When using Larvitar, having teammates who can switch into Water- and Fighting-type attacks is recommended. Croagunk is a great teammate, as it also has a resistance to Grass-type attacks and can set up Nasty Plot on the opponent's switch. Frillish and Mantyke can also switch into Fighting- and Water-type attacks, while also having a resistance to Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>Wynaut is a great teammate for Larvitar as it can trap and Encore opponents, giving Larvitar time to set up. Even though Encore got nerfed to last only three turns this generation, Larvitar will get one free turn to set up either Dragon Dance or Rock Polish.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Substitute can help Larvitar take priority attacks, and eases prediction, but comes at the cost of a moveslot. Larvitar is also immune to status anyway, courtesy Flame Orb and Guts. Outrage provides good neutral coverage, but its secondary effect makes it a bad option. Superpower hits Bronzor the hardest out of all of Larvitar's moves, but the Attack drop is undesirable. Curse can be used along with Sandstorm support and an Eviolite, but Larvitar's common 4x weaknesses make it a bad choice.</p>

<p>Larvitar can also run a Choice Scarf set, as it then outspeeds all unboosted Pokemon, hitting 21 Speed. It also has Guts and a Thunder Wave immunity to set it apart from other Choice Scarf users, but its lack of power lets it down. Larvitar can also run a Choice Band set as it makes a good status absorber with Guts, but is outclassed by Rhyhorn and Geodude.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Pokemon with powerful priority attacks are Larvitar's best checks. Aqua Jet users such as Carvanha, Totodile, and Kabuto, and Mach Punch users such as Timburr are good examples. Life Orb Meditite can also KO Larvitar with a combination of Fake Out and Bullet Punch.</p>

<p>Choice Scarf users with super effective attacks, such as Staryu and Gligar, can revenge kill Dragon Dance Larvitar easily. The Rock Polish set is much harder to revenge kill, as only Choice Scarf users with 20 Speed or higher, such as Diglett and Elekid, can revenge kill it. Fortunately, it is much easier to wall Rock Polish Larvitar, so using a bulky Pokemon like Bronzor, Frillish, or Ferroseed should suffice.</p>

<p>Bronzor is probably the best counter to Larvitar, as it resists both of Larvitar's STAB attacks and can OHKO it with STAB Gyro Ball.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Larvitar gets Sand Veil as a Dream World ability, but it is outclassed by Guts.</p>

I would run Jolly on the RP set to tie with +1 19 speeders. Unless you get an specific KOs, it's worth the extra speed

edit: no you didn't fix the title btw P: it should have the (Quality Control) prefix and the title should be "Larvitar."

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With Croagunk and Carvahna, Squirtle, blah, blah running around with 4* super effective (only water, I am aware that fighting is 2*) priority I would at least slash toxic orb in the rock polish set, this allows you to take less damage which is more advantageous for double switching, which may be required as a form of team support to allow larvitar to sweep lategame.

little gk

competitive oosos player
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
one of the bigger things you missed is larvitars weakness to most priority attacks. when you're taking the damage from the flame orb or dealing with toxic spikes or whatever along with the priority that's still abundant it needs to be mentioned somewhere.

sds is a smart boy btw
crux too, but he's still dumb

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd personally like to see the two sets combined. The idea is "boost speed, sweep". The non-boosting moves and the EVs are identical, and the only notable change is the boosting move and the nature. I'd also like to see Evolution Stone in AC should this change be implemented, as Larvitar's bigtime 4x weaknesses as well as notable 2x weaknesses means that it's really better off just rolling out and putting the hurt on stuff rather than trying to be bulky.

Crux

Banned deucer.
IMO, Dragon Dance is superior to Rock Polish. Larvitar needs the extra power to be able to KO Pokemon that are holding Evo Stone as Guts isnt really enough now. And due to the reltively slow nature of the current meta, the speed isnt really that important.

Additionally, Dragon Dance is really what separates Larvitar from stuff like Taillow, who already has the Speed.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have to agree with Crux here. The metagame is a lot slower, with much less emphasis on fast scarfers and stuff, and as such the Dragon Dance set is much better in this metagame, especially with nasty stuff like Teshiido and Pururiru around, and the fact that there's more emphasis on attacks that absolutely wreck Larvitar, so OHKOing is extremely important now.

I'd personally like to see the two sets combined. The idea is "boost speed, sweep". The non-boosting moves and the EVs are identical, and the only notable change is the boosting move and the nature. I'd also like to see Evolution Stone in AC should this change be implemented, as Larvitar's bigtime 4x weaknesses as well as notable 2x weaknesses means that it's really better off just rolling out and putting the hurt on stuff rather than trying to be bulky.
Okay, I'll combine the sets.
Also, the Evolution Stone is there for surviving priority attacks. With the evolution stone, it's bulky enough to survive things like mach punch and vacuum wave and KO them back.

Don't assume.
Meditite @ Life Orb (196 EVs, Neutral Nature) Bullet Punch vs Larvitar @ Flame Orb (36/36 EVs, Neutral Nature): 72.7 - 90.9% (16 - 20 HP)
I'm not going to bother with Machop since you're probably right, but Meditite has a good chance to OHKO after Flame Orb and SR damage.
plus this needs 3 stamps not 2.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think you should mention CM Murkrow as a counter. It's got Priority Feather Dance, which can stop larvitar dead in it's tracks.

I think you should mention CM Murkrow as a counter. It's got Priority Feather Dance, which can stop larvitar dead in it's tracks.
Larvitar@Flame Orb (Guts) (244 EVs, Neutral Nature, -1) Stone Edge vs Murkrow@Evolution Stone (116/176 EVs, +Nature): 50 ~ 58,3% (12 ~ 14 HP)

Murkrow is KO'd after 2 SR switch-ins and a -1 Stone Edge (DD + Featherdance) so not really that good of a counter.

Seven Deadly Sins

~hallelujah~
Priority Roost means that it takes half damage when roosting, so alternating Roost and Featherdance kills you.

Also assuming that a Pokemon with such easy access to healing as Murkrow is going to be at 50% after switching in twice is kinda shaky.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think you should consider adding a Choice band set. With Guts and a Choice Band you have an effective status absorber(bar sleep of course) that can switch into things like Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp and you will have an instant +2 STAB in Stone Edge and Earthquake.

I think you should consider adding a Choice band set. With Guts and a Choice Band you have an effective status absorber(bar sleep of course) that can switch into things like Thunder Wave or Will-o-Wisp and you will have an instant +2 STAB in Stone Edge and Earthquake.
It's immune to Thunder Wave.

It's risky switching into WoW. Missy might have NPed and will OHKO with HP Fighting/Shadow Ball. Or Sub.

Pururiru used water attack, it killed.

Toxic is pretty nonexistant.

Flame Orb is kinda better.

Originally Posted by Fat Mooo
Stone Edge on the switch in hurts.

You outspeed all unboosted Pokemon at 26 Speed with the evs with Rock Polish and Adamant
Important distinction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)