Frillish (Analysis)

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
QC: 2/2 (Zeph, macle) GP: (jc, Snorlaxe) 2/2

Frillish

--------

[Overview]

<p>Frillish's Water / Ghost typing, three immunities, and great defensive stats make it a very useful wall. It is also resistant or immune to all priority attacks barring Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch. Frillish has access to great moves such as Will-O-Wisp, Scald, and Recover, making it a great candidate for a support Pokemon. Frillish is somewhat held back by its below average Defense and weakness to Dark-type attacks. Frillish is also given trouble by other Water-type Pokemon such as Chinchou, and certain Grass-type Pokemon such as Paras and Ferroseed.</p>

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Surf / Scald
move 2: Shadow Ball
move 3: Will-O-Wisp / Toxic
move 4: Recover
item: Eviolite
ability: Cursed Body
nature: Calm / Bold
evs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set allows Frillish to take on the role of a wall, and is capable of burning opposing Pokemon, making it a great supporter. The EVs are invested in HP and Frillish's below-average Defense, with the remaining EVs invested in Special Defense to increase it by one extra point. Eviolite boosts Frillish's defensive stats further, increasing its usefulness as a wall. A Calm nature increases its already-high Special Defense, but a Bold nature can be utilized to increase its low Defense.</p>

<p>Surf is Frillish's primary STAB attack, and hits everything outside of Grass-, Water-, and Dragon-type Pokemon for neutral damage. Shadow Ball is Frillish's secondary STAB attack, hitting common Ghost-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Frillish's attacks do not deal much damage, but are useful for chipping away at opposing Pokemon over time with help from entry hazard and status damage. Will-O-Wisp burns opposing Pokemon, which compensates for Frillish's average Defense stat, and can support the whole team. Finally, Recover rounds off the set, giving Frillish reliable recovery and increasing its usefulness as a wall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Scald can be used in place of Surf, sacrificing some power for the chance to burn opposing Pokemon. Additionally, Toxic can be used in place of Will-O-Wisp, which can be more useful against Pokemon who don't mind being burned, such as Slowpoke. If Frillish uses Scald instead of Surf, then Toxic should be used instead of Will-O-Wisp, because Will-O-Wisp makes Scald redundant.</p>

<p>Other bulky Water-type Pokemon, notably Slowpoke, can wall Frillish because they are resistant or immune to its Water-type STAB attacks and don't mind being burned. Slowpoke can cripple Frillish with Toxic, and heal off the damage it receives from Shadow Ball. Ferroseed can also give Frillish a hard time, as it resists both Surf and Shadow Ball, doesn't mind being burned, and can set up entry hazards freely. Magnemite makes a great partner for Frillish because it can trap and KO Ferroseed, and can hit Water-type Pokemon for super effective damage. Additionally, its Poison immunity allows it to switch in for free against Toxic aimed at Frillish, preventing it from being crippled. Fighting-type Pokemon such as Timburr can also make good partners, as they can counter Dark-type Pokemon, such as Scraggy and Pawniard, the latter being able to trap Frillish with Pursuit. It can also counter Munchlax, another Pursuit user, who takes minimal damage from Surf and Scald.</p>

<p>Water Absorb is not selected as the primary ability, as Frillish already packs a resistance to Water-type attacks, and can use Recover, which makes the HP regained from Water Absorb less necessary. However, it can be used over Cursed Body if you do not wish to rely on luck, given that immunities can be highly important in Little Cup.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Water Spout / Hydro Pump
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Energy Ball / Hidden Power Fire / Surf
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Water Absorb
nature: Timid
evs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Frillish may seem like an odd Pokemon to use with a Choice Scarf, but it is competent as an attacker. Reaching 14 Speed, Frillish can outspeed every unboosted Pokemon when holding a Choice Scarf, and while Frillish's Special Attack is mediocre, its coverage makes up for it, allowing it to hit a wide variety of Pokemon for super effective damage. Frillish can also make use of Water Absorb to regain lost HP—particularly from entry hazard damage—increasing its survivability.</p>

<p>Water Spout is Frillish's most powerful attack, reaching 225 Base Power (factoring in STAB) at full HP. While this high power is extremely useful, the fact that its power decreases with Frillish's HP makes it unreliable. However, Water Absorb gives Frillish the opportunity to recover some of its HP and keep Water Spout at a higher Base Power. Shadow Ball is Frillish's secondary STAB attack, and is particularly useful for revenge killing Ghost-type Pokemon, especially when Water Spout's power is not at its maximum. It is also Frillish's best means of damaging opposing Frillish. Ice Beam adds coverage against Grass-type Pokemon who resist Water Spout, and hits Ferroseed, who also resists Shadow Ball, for neutral damage. It is also useful against Ground-type Pokemon, namely Hippopotas, when Frillish is at low HP. Energy Ball rounds off the set, hitting Water-type Pokemon, who can otherwise be problematic, for super effective damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Fire is another option in the last slot, allowing Frillish to nail Ferroseed, who otherwise walls the set. Surf is also usable in the final slot, as it is a STAB move without the drawbacks of Water Spout or the low accuracy of Hydro Pump. Hydro Pump is an option instead of Water Spout, as it allows for more consistent damage, but without Water Spout, Frillish's damage output is somewhat underwhelming. Blizzard can also be used in place of Ice Beam, but only when used in tandem with Snover, who induces hail and increases Blizzard's accuracy to 100%.</p>

<p>Entry hazard damage will slowly chip away at Frillish's health, lowering the power of Water Spout. Therefore, Rapid Spin support is appreciated to keep Frillish at max HP for longer. Pineco can use Rapid Spin to support Frillish, as well as setting up entry hazards of its own.</p>

[SET]
name: Life Orb
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Recover
item: Life Orb
nature: Modest
ability: Water Absorb
evs: 236 HP / 236 SpA / 36 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Frillish possesses offensive potential due to its decent bulk and Special Attack, great coverage, and access to Recover. When equipped with a Life Orb, Frillish gets an extra damage boost with the freedom to switch attacks, which is useful when combined with its excellent coverage. Hydro Pump is the most powerful attack at Frillish's disposal, with 120 Base Power and STAB. Very few Pokemon that are neutral to Hydro Pump can stomach it, barring Munchlax and Lickitung. Pokemon that do resist it, namely Slowpoke and Ferroseed, are easily disposed of by Shadow Ball and Hidden Power Fire, respectively. Shadow Ball hits opposing Frillish considerably harder, and provides a more accurate move with which to hit other Ghosts. Hidden Power Fire provides useful coverage against Pokemon that resist Water- and Ghost-type attacks, such as Grass- and Steel-type Pokemon. Ferroseed is a primary example, as it resists both of Frillish's other attacks. Recover rounds off the set with a reliable method of regaining HP lost by Life Orb recoil and entry hazard damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread is straightforward: Frillish's HP is maximised to give it the necessary bulk. 36 Speed is used to outrun defensive variants, which do not run any Speed EVs. The remaining EVs are invested into Frillish's Special Attack stat with a Modest nature to ensure a high damage output.</p>

<p>Because Frillish is holding a Life Orb and not an Eviolite, it is considerably more fragile than defensive variants. This, combined with its below-average Speed, can be problematic, even with max HP. Pokemon that pack a super effective move and that outspeed Frillish, such as Gastly and Stunky, will have an easy time disposing of it once they can safely switch in. A bulky Normal-type Pokemon such as Munchlax can be helpful for dealing with Ghost-types that trouble Frillish. Fighting-type Pokemon like Mienfoo can easily dispose of Dark-types, as well as Normal-type Pokemon such as Munchlax and Lickitung, which can sponge any of Frillish's attacks.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Hex can be used to deal extra damage to Pokemon who have a status condition, which can be useful as Frillish has the ability to burn opposing Pokemon, but it is situational; as such, Shadow Ball is preferred. More powerful attacks such as Hydro Pump can be utilized to give Frillish a better damage output. Toxic is an option to poison opposing Pokemon that don't mind being burned; examples of these include Fire-types, and other Water-type Pokemon. Frillish can use Taunt to avoid becoming setup bait for the likes of Scraggy, Dratini, and Ferroseed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Dratini is an excellent counter to Frillish, as it resists Scald, can cure itself of status thanks to Shed Skin, and can use Frillish as setup bait. Water-type Pokemon give Frillish a hard time; Chinchou doesn't mind being burned, and can hit Frillish with STAB Thunderbolt for super effective damage. Paras can also switch into Water-type attacks freely and put Frillish to sleep with Spore or hit it hard with Seed Bomb. Ferroseed resists all of Frillish's attacks, doesn't mind being burned, and can drain Frillish's health with Leech Seed or set up entry hazards.</p>

<p>Frillish can fare well against most Fighting-type Pokemon, but Scraggy is an exception. It has Shed Skin, meaning it can eventually heal off a burn, can set up against Frillish with Dragon Dance, and OHKO it with STAB Crunch. Pursuit users such as Munchlax and Pawniard can trap and KO Frillish, so Frillish must rely on burning them with Will-O-Wisp rather than switching out.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Frillish gets Damp as its Dream World ability, which is literally useless. It blocks Explosion and Selfdestruct, to which Frillish is already immune.</p>

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Its Eviolite now not evolution stone. Also change evil eye (change it to Hex) and Boiling Water (now Scold) places.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I did it, and few other small things for you.

[Overview]

-Its Water- and Ghost-typing combine two of Little Cup's best both offensively and defensively
-Water Absorb only helps, giving Frillish three useful immunities
-85 Special Defense is fantastic
-Flaws: Below average Defense and weakness to Dark-type attacks

[Set]
Name: Defensive
move 1: Will-O-Wisp
move 2: Hex
move 3: Recover
move 4: Scold
Item: Eviolite
Nature: Calm
Ability: Water Absorb / Cursed Body
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD

[Set Comments]

-Will-O-Wisp helps out its below average Defense
-Hex is the main STAB attack and is boosted by Will-O-Wisp
-Scold is a secondary STAB option, the burn chance gives you a chance to boost Hex
-Recover increases durability

[Additional Comments]

-Cursed Body could bring a helpful disable
-Taunt could stop potential set up sweepers, most notably Dratini
-Colbur Berry lets you burn Munchlax and Pawniard more reliably

[Set]
Name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Water Spout
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Energy Ball
Item: Choice Scarf
Nature: Timid
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe

[Set Comments]

-Reaches 14 Speed without a Choice Scarf
-Water Spout hits hard, even with 15 Special Attack
-Shadow Ball provides a nice secondary STAB
-Ice Beam and Energy Ball provide coverage

[Additional Comments]

-Surf, Hydro Pump, or Blizzard can be used situationally
-Entry hazards should be off the field for Water Spout

[Other Options]

-Frillish can run a Trick Room support set
-Shadow Ball on Defensive set
-Acid Armor

[Checks and Counters]

-Dratini can abuse Shed Skin and set up
-Chinchou doesn't mind burn and can hit with STAB Thunderbolt
-Mantyke doesn't mind burn and is immune to Scold
-Dark Pulse Croagunk again is ok with being burned and can hit with Dark Pulse
-Paras can switch into Boiling Water or Water Spout freely and use Spore or Seed Bomb
-Pawniard can easily revenge kill this
-Frillish should be easily revenge killed thanks to its low Speed

[Dream World]

-Damp isn't going to do anything for Frillish.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also i think cursed body shouldnt be listed as an ability on any set. Water absorb is a million times better.

Fuck deleted post

Mention Toxic to kill some counters

Colbur sucks, Munchlax is slower and Komatana usually runs Iron Head over Night Slash

"Scald" not "Scold"

Shadow Ball slash with Hex, most stuff you attack won't mind a burn, ie ghosts, psychics, waters, Snover, Dratini, etc

Zuruggu gets Shed Skin and has SE STAB Crunch

Mention somewhere it's Pursuit weak

Also i think cursed body shouldnt be listed as an ability on any set. Water absorb is a million times better.
How? Cursed Body is extremely useful when dealing with stuff like Meditite who only have one Attack that hits Frillish hard (which is usually the case for most Pokemon). No dumbass will be using Water-type Attacks on Frillish. Frillish doesn't even need Water Absorb since it has recover. Water Absorb is okay but Cursed Body is a million times better.

How? Cursed Body is extremely useful when dealing with stuff like Meditite who only have one Attack that hits Frillish hard (which is usually the case for most Pokemon). No dumbass will be using Water-type Attacks on Frillish. Frillish doesn't even need Water Absorb since it has recover. Water Absorb is okay but Cursed Body is a million times better.
*adds to the madness* Well Charmander it's true no one is dumb enough to use water attacks on Frillish but aren't ever absorb ability made for switching in on like who's going to be dumb enough to go a electric-type move on Electivire, also no-one but it's still useful. I agree Cursed Body should get the first slot though for what you said :P

Frillish doesn't even need Water Absorb since it has recover.
Implying Frillish will always have a chance to use Recover, and that 25% insta health is worthless on a wall.

30% is far from reliable, anyway.

Why do you have Boiling Water and Will-O-Wisp on the same set? Take out Boiling Water and put in Surf.

Change Evolution Stone to Eviolite, and all other Japanese names to English.

<p>Hax (should be hex) can be used to deal extra damage to Pokemon who have a status. This can be useful as Frillish has the ability to burn opposing Pokemon, but it is situational. Shadow Ball is the preferred option. More powerful attacks such
Lol

but yea I think the scarf set should definitely be listed, it's actually good. I'd be willing to test out more sets like Life Orb, Specs, simple offensive set with Water Spout + Recover, etc.

Hydro Pump needs to be slashed next to Water Spout on the Choice Scarf set. Surf should be a slash in the last slot.

Cursed Body should be used over Water Absorb on the first set. Water Absorb can be slashed in.

(Special thanks to SDS for this post!)

Let me know when those are implemented, so I can stamp this.

EDIT: Sure.

Crux

Banned deucer.
Don't stamp it yet, i think there are definitely some excellent possibilities for Pururiru outside of those listed, and until Heysup or I have tested them, this should remain unstamped. Thanks in advance.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The scarf set is actually OK, not sure about others though. (I take it you mean Life Orb?)

^^By that I meant it is good, sorry if you read it wrong Dx

Why is there a set in Other Options called Water Spout, and an actual set for it?

Oh, and the scarf set is actually not OK, so implement all the changes in my above post.

Haven't had a chance to test the other offensive sets besides the scarf set which I found to be decent, especially as a lead.

Zephyr

Life Stream
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Haven't had a chance to test the other offensive sets besides the scarf set which I found to be decent, especially as a lead.
Why is there a set in Other Options called Water Spout, and an actual set for it?

Oh, and the scarf set is actually not OK, so implement all the changes in my above post.

Ruh roh! Conflicting reports!

Anyway both sets Moo has listed were good imo so I'm siding with Heysup on this. As for Life Orb there wasn't a set listed so I haven't tried it, nor do I believe I ever even have come against it....so I don't know about that, but I don't know why you wouldn't use Misdreavus for that anyway.

As for Life Orb there wasn't a set listed so I haven't tried it, nor do I believe I ever even have come against it....so I don't know about that, but I don't know why you wouldn't use Misdreavus for that anyway.
Recover. STAB Surf / Hydro Pump + STAB Shadow Ball > STAB Shadow Ball + UnSTAB Thunderbolt/HPfight.

I just thought that once Frillish starts getting hurt, its got to rely on Shadow Ball to hurt things, so shouldn't Surf / Hydro Pump be slashed somewhere for a powerful STAB attack when it loses health?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)