The Six Paths of Pain (DW, Arena Traps Galore)

Author's Note: Credit goes to Arkeis for the sprites. Notes in Red are from the first revision, Blue for the second revision

Introduction

Here is one of my first attempts at putting together a solid OU Dream World Team. I just started using this lineup with mixed but inconclusive results (I'm still working out a bunch of kinks.). I always love thinking up cool team names for my pokemon, and this time I realized that I could easily make a play on the Six Paths of Pain from the anime Naruto. I think set about trying to think of a team that could support that idea. I play on the PO servers under the name Pain Rikudō.

At A Glance

Team Building Process

Okay, so to begin with I figured I would need two things, the first being Arena Traps. In trying to decide who to start with I consulted many of my old favorite Taunt/SR leads, like Aerodactyl and Azelf. I realized that I wanted more bang for my buck, but I also liked the extra potency of Spikes as well. In order to do that, my Taunt/SR lead needed to do one more thing: set up Dual Screens. There was only one choice:

Deoxys-S, having been wrecking my day and making me rage all over PO since it was allowed back into OU, is one heck of a Pokemon. He's faster than every other lead on the planet, nobody out-speeds him on Turn 1. With his current set-up, this guy is armed to take down several threats in the OU, such as Tyranitar and Heatran (among others). Magic Coat guarantees I one-up any opposing lead trying to hax me.Now for the support Trapster:

Who doesn't like Ferrothorn? He was number 1 in OU for many reasons. His excellent defense coupled with his blessed typing gives me a pokemon that can switch in and deal a return for major damage with the Rocky Helmet + Iron Barbs combo. With my Physical Tank established, I need some a pokemon to compliment the weaknesses of Ferrothorn and Dragonite. This pokemon was none other than...:

Unsurprisingly, I chose Jellicent to cover for Ferrothorn's gaps in defense against Fire and Fighting. I like to this of this combo as Jellothorn, the 5th Gen's answer to Skarmbliss (Blissey has since retaliated by divorcing Skarmory and creating Blissbro). Specially Defensive and with a whopping 404 HP after max EV's, this puppy can take it and use Recover to bring itself back. Now that I have my set-up and Ferrothorn coverage I need my Shuffler:

The Parashuffle Dragonite has skyrocketed in use recently, and with good reason. The thing is a monster, using Dragon Tail to shuffle the team into hazards and Paralyze them as the go. Multiscale in tandem with Sub/Roost also gives her the ability to be insanely long-lived and keep activating Multiscale. After that I figured I needed a couple solid sweepers, one physical and one special. After much thought the results were:

The first big bad boy I decided to pick up was the new-and-terrifying Sheer Force Nidoking. I will rant again about how amazing the type coverage and damage is, but let me say it up front: this thing absolutely destroys stuff not ready for it. To compliment Nidoking's weakness to many Special Attacks I decided to roll with CB-Snorlax, as his natural bulk and buffed up SpD make for another awesome tank in the party. Not only that, but he covers Jellicent's weakness to Ghost-type. These two are devastatingly powerful and have insane type coverage. Details in the breakdown below.

Strategy Guide

Deoxys-S (Preta Realm) @ Light Clay
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
- Magic Coat
- Spikes
- Superpower
- Stealth Rock

Breakdown: In the anime, Preta Realm can absorb chakra-based attacks and punish his enemies, just like Deoxys-S does with his arena traps and Superpower. This guy is a great Gen IV-Style lead. He'll Magic Coat any trap-setting leads because he's faster than them, thus screwing over pokemon like Azelf, Ferrothorn, Smeargle, and others. Spikes in addition to SR eases Ferrothorn's burden later on if you can get it off. Superpower allows you to OHKO opposing TTar leads. He's really fragile, but can be used more than once if you retreat smartly. Also, no matter what, set up those Rocks. They're pivotal for allowing Dragonite to do her job.

Ferrothorn (Hell Realm) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SpD
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball

Breakdown: Like in the anime, this pokemon has the ability to keep itself alive in the toughest situations. This bad boy is the number 1 overall used pokemon in OU. Its defenses are freaking unbelievable. It can sit behind dual screens and laugh its way to the bank as it sets up three spikes. You can SubSeed for a while if you want, taking advantage of stupid switches and using Gyro Ball from behind the safety of Substitute. Switched over to the Rocky Helmet because I'm anal and don't like the idea of having three pokes with Leftovers, since having two is already frustrating enough for my OCD (and was the original reason I tapped Tentacruel over Jellicent). Not only that, but it is handy for dealing extra damage in tandem with Iron Barbs against physical attackers.

Jellicent (Animal Realm) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/4 SAt/252SpD
- Toxic
- Scald
- Taunt
- Recover

Breakdown: The pokemon doesn't really fit with Animal Realm, who just summoned beasts into battle, but she is an animal-type pokemon. Jellicent is there to cover for Ferrothorn. They're the 5th Gen's version of Skarmbliss. Not only that, but he serves as a highly effective Spin-Blocker, which was something that my old pokemon, Tentacruel, couldn't do (Tentacruel did make a nice Spinner, but I needed someone to block). Not only that, but with access to Recover he can outlast Tentacruel in situations where the poor cephalopod just couldn't match up and scraps the Psychic weakness. Toxic over Will-o-Wisp to ward off other Bulky Waters, but am considering a shift to WoW in case I run into a lot of Physical Sweepers. Changed from Shadow Ball to Taunt in order to completely negate the reason for Forretress to exist on anyone's team.

Dragonite (Deva Realm) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP/192 Def/64 SpD
- Dragon Tail
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Substitute

Breakdown: In the anime Deva Pain possesses control over gravity and with the technique Shinra Tensei can repel his enemies with ease, and so it is when Dragonite suffles with Dragon Tail. Because Dragon Tail automatically goes second, Multiscale is really useful on safe switches. At 100% HP this thing can tank anything, especially behind the safety of the screens. Use T.Wave so you can get off Roosts and Subs with ease, plus getting back to full HP for Multiscale protection. Dragon Tail will shuffle through your opponents team, and usually scores a big success the first time you use it if people don't expect it. I have to say removing Tentacruel was a good call, not being able to use T.Wave because of Toxic Spikes was sometimes annoying. There are a lot of Steel-types and Pokemon immune to Toxic Spikes out there, which is why it is like the icing-on-the-cake Arena Trap that you don't need but really enjoy. Jellicent can use Toxic anyway, and usually only for Bulky-Waters.

Nidoking (Asura Realm) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAt/ 252 Spe
- Earth Power
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

Description: In the anime, Asura Realm is the high-powered artillery of the Six Paths just like this absolutely unholy monstrosity that is Sheer Force Nidoking. I've always had a soft spot for Nidoking. In Gen IV UU it was an amazing Taunt/SR Lead with Earth Power and Ice Beam for freaking terrific coverage. In 5th Gen, however, Nintendo decided to remind people why this pokemon is a King. Sheer Force boosts all four of his moves by 30% and add on the insane Life Orb boost to make this thing nearly unstoppable. I kinda wish I had some kind of +2 Spe to pass onto him, but I'm okay with what I've got. He can bust any Physical Wall without batting an eyelash.

Snorlax (Human Realm) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Att/252 SpD/
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Seed Bomb
- Pursuit

Breakdown: In the anime, Human Realm is a powerful melee fighter in the Six Paths, dealing out powerful attacks just like CB-Snorlax. I have switched over the CB-Snorlax because CB-Scizor had really bad synergy with Nidoking, not having the SpD to tank moves like Psychic or Scald that keep getting thrown at Nidoking. Body Slam for STAB and, maybe, Parahax (if Dragonite hasn't already T.Waved them). As an added bonus, being immune to Ghost-type gives new synergy with Jellicent while retaining Scizor's use as an anti-Ghost with Pursuit (he also takes a chunk out of Psychic-type walls such as Slowbro). Not only that, but this guy is packing Seed Bomb over Crunch in case I run into a Water/Ground (haven't seen many in play, but lots of RMT's with Unaware Quagsire). I didn't want to leave that whole gaping since Ferrothorn is running Gyro Ball because he's a low-speed set.

I actually remember playing you and the one way I was consistently changed momentum back into my favor was the fact I had pokemon carrying both fire/ice options. So once either tentacruel or ferrothorn was taken care of it was basically a waiting game. I might suggest having wish somewhere to aid in the longevity of your walls because my friend once they're gone, they're gone.

Tentacruel's been replaced by Jellicent in order to have a more bulky, longer-lasting wall with Recover. I noticed that was my biggest problem aside from lacking a spin blocker.

I see sorry didn't read far enough.
The edit may have come just while you were in the middle of posting. I doubt you would've made such a simple mistake. All changes have been posted in Red this time around, and another color will be used for each future change.

***EDIT***

I'm also toying around with the idea of abandoning the 5th Gen Pokemon and switching to either Skarmbliss or Blissbro as my defensive core (partially for Blissey as a Cleric in case Dragonite gets Paralyzed or something). Keeping in mind, this team, including Dragonite, is already really heavy on the defensive side. That and I'm not sure that Scizor and Nidoking synergize very well. I may end up swapping out CB-Scizor for CB-Snorlax/Curselax which would make the team all the more tankish.

I've also noticed that this team has no Fighting-type moves, which means taking out Blissey means only Snorlax has the ass to kill it. Then again, this team is about annihilating the opponent with hazards and shuffling.

**EDIT**

Yup, I've gone ahead and cashed in Scizor for Snorlax. It just seems to make more sense, and like I say in the comments it helps add synergy with Jellicent as well as covering the Water/Ground problem.

*EDIT*

Thinking about switching out the Life Orb on Nidoking for an Air Balloon (and switching out Flamethrower for Fire Blast) because I am really tired of him having to run against Pokemon that use EQ and also having to rely purely on Dragonite to switch in on Ground-type moves. May also be interested in switching to the Sheer Power Nidoqueen (Bold - 156 HP/ 136 Def/ 216 SAt) because it goes more with this team's defense oriented-style. Then again, he's really my only offensive force.

Roughly 24-hour bump. Really looking for feedback on this one.

***EDIT***

Definitely contemplating putting an end to the era of Jellothorn. I've read an interesting comment on the forum that has made me believe that Dragonite and Ferrothorn, between their typing, cover pretty much everything lacking about one another (I dub thee, Dragonthorn). If that's the case, I'd be able to sub out for another Ghost-type, such as Sub/Disable Gengar or Evolite Dusclops (for even more absurd defense and a fun partner with CB-Snorlax), to keep up the Spin-Blocker roll.

That Dnite <3

Dude, prankster taunt users and magic coat users just own your deoxys-S. Replacing Taunt with Magic Coat should solve that.

Also, i dont get why you have screens. Screens are used to allow setup. And the only thing in your team that can set up is Nattorei. And DNite wont make full use of his bulk until you have some hazards on the field, so i dont see the point of passing him the screens.

You are right, DNite makes a really good partner to Ferro, but Ice still troubles both of them. Having something to absorb ice moves (like Jellicent) is a good option.

I'll give Magic Coat a try because it certainly is fun to get a free Taunt/SR set up on Turn 1 when people think they're being clever. I'm also worried about 1st Turn Set-Ups like Cloyster who try to tank a hit from a physical lead.

I've been playtesting an alternate lineup by replacing Jellicent:

Dusclops @ Evoilite
156 HP/ 208 Def/ 144 SpD
-Seismic Toss
-Will-o-Wisp
-Substitute
-Pain Split

This thing's defenses are freaking unbelievable. It can tank so hard, and just hide behind that bloody beautiful Substitute. Pain Split for recovery, WoW to neuter Physical Sweepers. Seismic Toss covers better than Night Shade.

Mmk, pretty cool team here. For starters, you have a Timid Nature on your Deoxys-S, so you might wanna go ahead and change that to Jolly. Also, I might suggest running a Physically bulky spread on your Jellicent, as SD Terrakion can be really troublesome for your team at +2, as even Nidoking can get OHKOed by a CC with some residual damage. Lastly, I would have to say that you may want to look into Fire Punch over Seed Bomb on Snorlax, as Quagsire seems pretty manageable for your team as is, and a CB Return would 2HKO him with a layer of Spikes anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)