Zorua (Analysis) [GP 2/2]

Skeleton is up.
QC [2/2] (Darkamber8828, Zeph)
GP [2/2] (V0x, Oglemi)
Written

[Overview]

<p>Zorua is one of many of the unique new threats introduced in BW. With 80 base Special Attack, 65 base Speed, and subpar defenses, Zorua appears to be a canine similar to Houndour without the STAB Fire Blast and Flash Fire to worry about, making it seem underwhelming in comparison. However, looks can be very deceiving thanks to Zorua's signature ability, Illusion, which allows it to masquerade as a teammate in the user's party. Sadly, with Fighting-types such as Timburr and Mienfoo running around with strong Fighting-type priority moves, Zorua must also tread carefully to not make a fatal mistake. Despite its weaknesses, opponents must still be on their guard with this mischievous little fox now running around the ranks of Little Cup.</p>

[SET]
name: Mixed Attacker
move 1: Dark Pulse
move 2: Sucker Punch
move 3: Hidden Power Fighting
move 4: Extrasensory
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 40 Def / 200 Atk / 240 Spe
ivs: 2 HP

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the element of surprise on its side, Zorua is easily capable of taking out an unsuspecting opponent or tricking them into switching out. Dark Pulse is Zorua's second strongest STAB move on the special side next to Night Daze, but the former should be used for its flinch rate and higher accuracy. Priority in the form of STAB Sucker Punch hits like a truck against anything that does not resist it. Hidden Power Fighting hits everything that Dark Pulse does not for at least neutral damage, bar Croagunk, who is OHKOed by Extrasensory.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice of Zorua's disguise should be something that shares at least one move with this set. Croagunk is generally one of the best choices because it lures Psychic-type attacks, resists Fighting and Bug, and has shared access to Dark Pulse. A 2 HP IV is the lowest possible to maximize Hidden Power Fighting's Base Power while getting Zorua to 19 HP for minimized Life Orb recoil. Night Daze has a higher Base Power than Dark Pulse, but is Zorua's signature move, so using it will automatically give away its disguise. Pursuit and U-turn can be useful on this set, but Zorua can't afford to give up a slot for them.</p>

<p>Fighting-types tend to be the most problematic for Zorua, especially those with access to Mach Punch, such as Timburr. Scraggy is immune to Extrasensory and can tank Hidden Power Fighting while recovering with Drain Punch. Residual damage also really hurts Zorua mostly because it has a chance to expose its disguise. When your opponent sees a Croagunk becoming poisoned by Toxic Spikes, chances are that they will become suspicious of Zorua's Illusion. For this problem, Magic Bounce Natu makes a great partner, sporting a 4x resistance to Fighting and being capable of setting up dual screens to increase Zorua's chances of survival. Ghost-types such as Gastly can switch into Bug-type and Fighting-type attacks aimed at Zorua. Wynaut counters Scarf users, which can revenge kill Zorua provided that they are aware of Zorua's Illusion. Entry hazards of your own are also greatly appreciated, so Ferroseed and Bronzor are great partners to lay them down for Zorua.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night Daze
move 2: Hidden Power Fighting / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Pursuit / Extrasensory
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Naive / Hasty
evs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua is also capable of utilizing a Choice Scarf to be an effective revenge killer. Dark Pulse is used in the first slot primarily for the flinch rate, but Night Daze is still another choice for the chance to lower accuracy. Hidden Power Fighting in conjunction with Zorua's STAB Dark-type move gives him near perfect neutral coverage against everything in Little Cup that isn't named Croagunk. U-turn is used for scouting and allows Zorua to make a quick escape if the opponent switches to a potential counter. The last slot is mainly filler, but Pursuit is generally recommended to cripple fleeing Psychic-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naive or Hasty nature is used here to avoid decreasing the power of U-turn and Pursuit. Since Zorua will be locked into one move anyway, fooling the opponent is not as important, but the element of surprise is still valuable on the switch in. However, to make it more effective of a revenge killer, its disguise should make the opponent oblivious to its role as a revenge killer. In this case, a slow and bulky teammate such as Yamask can work to trick the opponent into staying in or switching to a potential counter, thinking they can set up. Hidden Power Fire can also be used if you want to hit Ferroseed and Bronzor for super effective damage, but Zorua's role for this set is more inclined towards revenge killing weakened sweepers. Extrasensory can also fit in the last slot to deal more damage to Fighting-types with Illusion still intact, but being locked into a Psychic-type move makes room for Dark-types such as Scraggy to switch in.</p>

<p>Like the mixed set, this set appreciates a lack of entry hazards on your side of the field to preserve the element of surprise upon switching in. Scarfed Zorua also switches in and out more often, so to keep Zorua alive, it is best to have a teammate that can prevent entry hazards, such as Magic Bounce Natu. Rapid Spin users such as Staryu can also help remove entry hazards for Zorua. Again, Wynaut works well here to kill faster Scarf users, but it must be cautious around opponents with strong STAB Dark moves such as Houndour and Sandile.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse / Night Daze
move 4: Extrasensory / Sucker Punch
nature: Timid / Naive
evs: 40 Def / 200 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua's high Special Attack stat makes it capable of utilizing Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is the recommended option here as its STAB move, being capable of dealing heavy damage to, if not OHKOing, any Pokemon that does not resist it after a boost. Hidden Power Fighting hits Steel- and Dark-types that Dark Pulse cannot, while Extrasensory deals with Croagunk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Night Daze can be used over Dark Pulse, but be aware that using its signature move will expose its Illusion. Sucker Punch is another option to consider in place of Extrasensory to hit specially defensive attackers on their weaker defense stat if you do not fear Croagunk. In this case, a Naive nature should be used to keep Sucker Punch from losing power.</p>

<p>There are many choices for Zorua's disguise, but for the best results on this set, it should appear as a teammate that discourages the opponent from hitting Zorua with priority or a super effective attack, such as a slow Ghost-type such as Yamask or Flying-type such as Swablu. This type of Zorua generally has a harder time setting up as even one extra turn given to the opponent can be a turn when Zorua's disguise is at risk. Like the previous sets, partners such as Natu can function to prevent entry hazards and Wynaut defeats Scarf users that threaten Zorua. Physical attackers such as Timburr and Mienfoo are also appreciated to deal with special tanks such as Munchlax and Mantyke. Dual screen support is also an option to give Zorua more room to set up. Be cautious when using this set, as many faster enemies can come in and cripple Zorua with even a neutral attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zorua has access to Swords Dance and Agility, but is hindered by a shallow physical movepool and low defenses. A set utilizing Work Up could be passable, but it would be inferior to the mixed set. Its movepool also includes Taunt, Torment, Memento, and Substitute, but Zorua is better off attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything that can deal heavy damage with a priority move is a problem for Zorua, especially Timburr and Croagunk, which have a good chance of OHKOing Zorua with Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave, respectively. Scraggy can tank Hidden Power Fighting and hit back even harder with Drain Punch while restoring health. Faster enemies, specifically Diglett and Choice Scarf Mienfoo, have an easy time revenge killing Zorua after its Illusion is exposed, or even before if the opponent is not fooled. Special tanks such as Munchlax and Mantyke that have offensive power can also take advantage of Zorua's mediocre defenses and rip through the fox with a powerful STAB move.</p>

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd definitely make Dark Pulse the first slash for the perfect accuracy and slightly higher chance to bluff something else (though Dark Pulse isn't common in LC anyway...)

I've thought about a Scarf set because it has enough speed for it but I'll let you test that. Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/HP Ice/U-turn was my thought but the Hidden Power can be changed if you need to revenge something else.

On average,

Night Daze: 85*.95=80.75

Dark Pulse: 80*1=80

80.75>80

therefore Night Daze is better.

Can Zorua run a mixed NP? STAB Sucker Punch off 65 attack hurts, and it's not like Croagunk is common or anything.

Needs Choice set. Daze/HP Fighting/Extrasensory/U-turn or something.

Point out that it's obvious you're a Zorua when that "Misdreavus" or "Gastly" doesn't take spikes damage.

Work Up for mixed set in OC, either way.

It also gets Hone Claws and Calm Mind, but...

And Memento. They switch in their Missy counter? BAM, NP MISSY SET UP YEAH

Taunt and Torment are cool, the former more so.

Foul Play is cool, especially on special sets with no/little attack investment, for hitting...um, well it's cool.

Scraggy tanks +2 HP Fighting and Drain Punches health back, and is a missy check to boot.

Disguising as a flying-type isn't a bad idea, Timburr doesn't mind Missy but runs away from Gligar, who kills Croagunk to boot. Sandstorm damage sucks though.

I'd definitely make Dark Pulse the first slash for the perfect accuracy and slightly higher chance to bluff something else (though Dark Pulse isn't common in LC anyway...)

I've thought about a Scarf set because it has enough speed for it but I'll let you test that. Dark Pulse/Extrasensory/HP Ice/U-turn was my thought but the Hidden Power can be changed if you need to revenge something else.
I'll try out the Scarf set, but I'm not completely sure if Dark Pulse is legal with Extrasensory. Of course, I'm not that good at breeding mechanics, so I'm not completely sure, but that's the reason why I made Night Daze the first flash.

I was also going to work on testing a Choice set, but with that moveset, Zorua has no options to hit Steel-types.

Can Zorua run a mixed NP? STAB Sucker Punch off 65 attack hurts, and it's not like Croagunk is common or anything.

Needs Choice set. Daze/HP Fighting/Extrasensory/U-turn or something.

Point out that it's obvious you're a Zorua when that "Misdreavus" or "Gastly" doesn't take spikes damage.

Work Up for mixed set in OC, either way.

It also gets Hone Claws and Calm Mind, but...

And Memento. They switch in their Missy counter? BAM, NP MISSY SET UP YEAH

Taunt and Torment are cool, the former more so.

Foul Play is cool, especially on special sets with no/little attack investment, for hitting...um, well it's cool.

Scraggy tanks +2 HP Fighting and Drain Punches health back, and is a missy check to boot.

Disguising as a flying-type isn't a bad idea, Timburr doesn't mind Missy but runs away from Gligar, who kills Croagunk to boot. Sandstorm damage sucks though.
I'm considering the mixed set. As for the entry hazard part, once again, that's why a rapid spinner helps in this department because entry hazards might not break the illusion directly, but they can give away Zorua's cherade depending on how much damage he takes.

Hone Claws wouldn't work due to Zorua's poor physical movepool (not to mention none of his physical moves really need an accuracy boost) and he doesn't have the defenses to set up Calm Mind either. He's better off with Nasty Plot, Agility, and even Swords Dance. I'm going to look into the Work Up set, so I'll go ahead and list it as an option, but I'm still skeptical on its usefulness.

Memento would be a waste of offensive potential IMO, but I'll probably mention that on other options. Taunt and Torment are useful, but I can't really think of a set that they'd be able to fit on, as Zorua is better off just attacking.

I hadn't thought of Flying-types, so I'll go ahead and mention that, but entry hazard damage is more obvious on Flying-types than it would be on a grounded Ghost-type like Yamask, who takes the same damage from them as Zorua does.

Edit: Oh right...I forgot about Smeargle. Well, in that case, I'll go ahead and add that.

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dark Pulse and Extrasensory can be bred through Smeargle so if you breed a male Smeargle with Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, and Nasty Plot with a female Zorua/Zoroark with Nasty Plot it should work out.

Also I'd rate 80 power and 100 accuracy and a 20% flinch chance higher than 85 power and 95 accuracy with a 10% chance to lower the opponent's accuracy but either way I'd slash both.

Well, I've done some work on this, so I don't think it's necessary for this to be a Placeholder anymore. I still need to work on a few things such as Teammates (specifically Illusion candidates) though, so I'm still open to suggestions.

Edit: Ok, this is pretty much done I guess, so ready for QC Checks.

-Has decent utility moves such as Taunt, Torment, Memento, and Substitute, but Zorua is better off attacking
But you list substitute on the first set.

I still think Sucker Punch is better than Substitute. 120 bp priority hurts, y'know?

Timid NP is heaps better than Modest, the power difference is negligible and outspeeding stuff and killing it is more important. I'd really just axe a mention of modest at all.

LO set should run no HP evs and 0 ivs for 19 hp, which reduces LO recoil. It can put the evs in defense or spd.

-Zorua can also be easily revenge killed by faster enemies and special walls like Munchlax and Mantyke with offensive capability
List some of them faster attackers, like ScarFoo and Gligar and stuff.

Once that's done,

[QC 1/2]

But you list substitute on the first set.
Whoops, forgot to delete that.

I still think Sucker Punch is better than Substitute. 120 bp priority hurts, y'know?
I'll go ahead and slash that instead of Substitute on the fourth slot.

Timid NP is heaps better than Modest, the power difference is negligible and outspeeding stuff and killing it is more important. I'd really just axe a mention of modest at all.
Done. I'll go ahead and write this up in a few minutes.

Edit: This is written now; ready for GP checks.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hurray its Zorua!

Yeah there's no way Night Daze should be #1 on the choiced set. Yes on average it has a higher BP, but thats by freaking 0.75! On the otherhand Dark Pulse has perfect accuracy and can flinch (2HKOes galore) making it infinitely superior. Zorua cannot afford to take a hit, so a miss could cost Zorua its life. Night Daze shouldn't even get a slash imo.

Uh, I don't want to give you more work but i've been using a mixed Zorua which has had some decent success. IMO the sets play differently enough to be separated. Also, you rarely (if ever) get a chance to sweep with Nasty Plot in LC so I think it should be the 2nd set aftr mixed. I'm on the QC team though so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

The set I used was:

name: Mixed

Hurray its Zorua!

Yeah there's no way Night Daze should be #1 on the choiced set. Yes on average it has a higher BP, but thats by freaking 0.75! On the otherhand Dark Pulse has perfect accuracy and can flinch (2HKOes galore) making it infinitely superior. Zorua cannot afford to take a hit, so a miss could cost Zorua its life. Night Daze shouldn't even get a slash imo.

Uh, I don't want to give you more work but i've been using a mixed Zorua which has had some decent success. IMO the sets play differently enough to be separated. Also, you rarely (if ever) get a chance to sweep with Nasty Plot in LC so I think it should be the 2nd set aftr mixed. I'm on the QC team though so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

The set I used was:

name: Mixed
Night Daze has a 40% chance to lower accuracy, so I still think it's worth considering for a set. I won't take it off, but I'll slash Dark Pulse as #1 option then. It's only 5% chance to miss, so it's not too much to worry about.

The point of the Nasty Plot set is to have the Illusion fool the opponent at least long enough to get one +2 boost. If Zorua can manage to lure in a choiced Psychic attack, then he'll laugh at the opponent while he sets up Nasty Plot in their face while he sets up. Zorua's Illusion ability is the only thing that really makes him worth considering over Houndour since Houndour has access to most of his moves and has an easier time switching in.

I'll consider the Mixed set, but I generally think that Houndour outclasses him in this department. I mean yeah, Zorua still has his Illusion ability, but I don't think Zorua can afford the drop in power (which is why I removed the Work Up set). Also, I've got finals this week, so I might not be able to get to it until next Sunday.

Edit: V Right, forgot about that.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Night Daze has a 40% chance to lower accuracy, so I still think it's worth considering for a set. I won't take it off, but I'll slash Dark Pulse as #1 option then. It's only 5% chance to miss, so it's not too much to worry about.
A flinching chance > accuracy drop. I don't know about you, but LC matches move fast so in the long run an accuracy drop is barely worth it. On the other hand, a flinch can decided games because it allows Zorua to achieve OHKOs that are otherwise 2HKOes. 5% is still imperfect accuracy no matter how small. I don't think it deserves a slash at all, but its not my analysis.

The point of the Nasty Plot set is to have the Illusion fool the opponent at least long enough to get one +2 boost. If Zorua can manage to lure in a choiced Psychic attack, then he'll laugh at the opponent while he sets up Nasty Plot in their face while he sets up. Zorua's Illusion ability is the only thing that really makes him worth considering over Houndour since Houndour has access to most of his moves and has an easier time switching in.
The problem with Nasty Plot is that Zorua is simply too slow and frail to pull it of. Misdreavus is incredibly fast AND bulky. She can afford to run Nasty Plot because if she takes a stray hit its ok. Zorua on the otherhand can't take a single hit and the Pokemon who can switch into Zorua typically beat it even with a Nasty Plot boost. Choiced Psychic attacks are non-existent.

I'll consider the Mixed set, but I generally think that Houndour outclasses him in this department. I mean yeah, Zorua still has his Illusion ability, but I don't think Zorua can afford the drop in power (which is why I removed the Work Up set). Also, I've got finals this week, so I might not be able to get to it until next Sunday.
Yes typically Houndour outclasses Zorua, but Illusion is a pretty big deal, especially in a tier like LC where wrong switch can cost you a Pokemon. Yes Nasty Plot is more "unique" but its terrible, whereas Mixed faces competition from Houndour but its still very usable on its own.

Just my 2 cents.

The problem with Nasty Plot is that Zorua is simply too slow and frail to pull it of. Misdreavus is incredibly fast AND bulky. She can afford to run Nasty Plot because if she takes a stray hit its ok. Zorua on the otherhand can't take a single hit and the Pokemon who can switch into Zorua typically beat it even with a Nasty Plot boost. Choiced Psychic attacks are non-existent.
By choiced Psychic attacks, I'm specifically referring to Abra, Natu, and Smoochum, the latter one being less common. Zorua may be frail, but I base the capability to set up solely on the chance that Illusion will fool the opponent into using a Psychic, Ghost, or Dark attack or switching out. Like I said in the analysis, not a good idea to switch Zorua into an attack.

none of those pokemon are ever used.... ever, let alone with a choice item

One particular reason I like Dark Pulse (aside from them both being approximately equal) is that you can maintain an illusion or Illusion with it. If you are disguised as Croagunk or something that somewhat commonly runs Dark Pulse, if you use it the opponent may still believe you are Croagunk... as opposed to if you run Night Daze, it is pretty obvious you are not. Aside from that, I think that imperfect accuracy is a letdown when the power boost is so minimal. Flinch vs Accuracy drop is pretty irrelevant imo.

Anyways I agree that the Nasty Plot set should not be the main set, probably not even a set at all. Zorua is too slow to sweep effectively, it should just be used to nab surprise kills once or twice. This is part of the reason I feel that PK's set should be included (and the main set!). It really highlights Zorua's good qualities: Nice attacking stats, priority in Sucker Punch, and it doesnt force Zorua to stay in any longer than it should. Sucker Punch allows Zorua to get an extra kill that it probably wouldn't be able to do with any other set once the illusion has broke.

idk my 2 cents

Already decided yesterday that I'll add the set, but I'm not removing the Nasty Plot set, as I still see some potential in it. I know Smoochum and Abra aren't very common, but Natu I'd have to disagree. It's only pokemon in LC with Magic Bounce, so its bound to be an effective partner for many sweepers who dislike entry hazards. Just my opinion anyway, since I haven't seen very many Rapid Spinners around.

JRank

Jonny
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Amateur GP Check

Add/Change
Delete

Skeleton is up.
QC [2/2] (Darkamber8828, Zeph)
GP [0/2] Written.

[Overview]
<p>Zorua is an unusal new pokemon introduced in Generation V. With 80 base Special Attack, 65 base Speed, and subpar defenses, one could assume that he is a clone of Houndour without the Fire typing. However, his ability Illusion, which allows Zorua to masquerade as a teammate in the user's party, makes Zorua more than capable of distinguishing himself from his canine brother, and he should definitely be considered something to look out for in Little Cup.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set is similar to that of Zorua's brother, Houndour, but functions somewhat differently due to his Illusion ability. Dark Pulse is Zorua's second strongest STAB move on the special side next to Night Daze, but should be used for its flinch rate and higher accuracy. Sucker Punch hits faster opponents that have already switched in. Hidden Power Fighting hits everything bar Croagunk, who is OHKOed by Extrasensory, that Dark Pulse does not for at least neutral damage. 0 HP IVs also give Zorua 19 HP, reducing the impact of Life Orb recoil.</p>

<p>The choice of Zorua's disguise should be something that shares at least one move with this set. Croagunk is generally one of the best choices because he lures Psychic-type attacks and resists Fighting and Bug. 2 HP IVs is the lowest possible to maximize Hidden Power Fighting's base power.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>There are very few other options that this set can utilize. Night Daze is the fox's signature move, so using it will automatically give away his disguise. Pursuit and U-Turn have their merits, but are of little use on this set.</p>

<p>Residual damage really hurts Zorua mostly because it exposes his disguise. When your opponent sees a Gastly take damage from Spikes or a Croagunk becoming poisoned by Toxic Spikes, the chances are, they're going to become suspicious of Zorua's act. For this problem, Magic Bounce Natu makes a great partner, sporting a 4x resistance to Fighting and capable of setting up Dual Screens to increase Zorua's chances of survival. Other good choices for teammates are bulky threats like Gligar and Wynaut, who counters Scarf users.</p>

[SET]
move 3: U-Turn

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua can also play the role of a revenge killer when equipped with a Choice Scarf while making the opponent oblivious with Illusion. Dark Pulse is used in the first slot primarily for the flinch rate, but Night Daze is still another choice for the chance to lower accuracy. Hidden Power Fighting in conjunction with Zorua's STAB Dark-type move gives him near perfect neutral coverage against everything in Little Cup that isn't named Croagunk. U-Turn is used for scouting and allows Zorua to make a quick escape if the opponent switches to a potential counter. The last slot is mainly filler, but Pursuit is generally recommended to cripple fleeing Psychic-types.</p>

<p>A Naive or Hasty nature is used here to avoid decreasing the power of U-Turn and Pursuit. Since Zorua will be locked into one move anyway, fooling the opponent is not as important, but it does give him the element of surprise on the switch in. However, to make Zorua more effective of a revenge killer, his disguise should make the opponent oblivious to his role as a revenge killer. In this case, a slow and bulky teammate like Yamask can work work to trick the opponent into staying in or switching to a potential counter, thinking they can set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Fire can also be used if you want to hit Ferroseed and Bronzor for super effective damage, but Zorua's role for this set is more inclined to revenge killing weakened sweepers. Extrasensory can also fit in the last slot to deal more damage to Fighting-types with Illusion up still intact, but being locked into a Psychic-type move makes room for Dark-types such as Scraggy to switch in.</p>

<p>Like the mixed set, this set appreciates a lack of entry hazards to preserve the element of surprise upon switching in. Scarfed Zorua also switches in and out more often, so to keep Zorua alive, it is best to have a teammate that can remove entry hazards, such as Magic Bounce Natu. Again, Wynaut works well here to kill faster Scarf users, but must be cautious around opponents with strong STAB Dark moves like Houndour and Sandile. Entry hazards of your own will also give Zorua a higher chance to OHKO or 2HKO bulky threats like Misdreavus, so a Stealth Rock or Spikes user can make an excellent teammate.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua's high Special Attack stat makes him capable of utilizing Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is the recommended option here as Zorua's STAB move, capable of dealing heavy damage to, if not OHKOing anything that does not resist it after a boost. Hidden Power Fighting hits Steel-types and Dark-types that Dark Pulse cannot while Extrasensory deals with Croagunk. Life Orb maximizes Zorua's offensive potential.</p>

<p>As the only user of Illusion in Little Cup, this little fox can take advantage of his ability to get the opportunity to set up. There are many choices for Zorua's disguise, but for the best results on this set, he should appear as a teammate that discourages the opponent from hitting Zorua with priority or a super effective attack, such as a slow Ghost-type or Flying-type.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Night Daze can be used over Dark Pulse, but be aware that using Zorua's signature move will expose his Illusion. Sucker Punch is another option to consider in place of Extrasensory to hit specially defensive attackers from the other side of the spectrum if you do not fear Croagunk. In this case, a Naive nature should be used to keep Sucker Punch from losing power.</p>

<p>This type of Zorua should not be switching out very often, making him very vulnerable to attack once his disguise is gone. Like the previous sets, partners such as Natu and Wynaut can function to get rid of entry hazards and defeat Scarf users that threaten Zorua. Physical attackers are also appreciated to deal with special walls like Munchlax and Mantyke. Be cautious when using this set, as many faster enemies can come in and cripple Zorua with any neutral attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zorua has access to Swords Dance and Agility, but is hindered by a shallow physical movepool and low defenses. A set utilizing Work Up could be passable, but Zorua loses too much power on the special side and is given no additional coverage by his physical moves. His movepool also includes Taunt, Torment, Memento, and Substitute, but Zorua is better off attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything that can deal heavy damage with a priority move is a problem for Zorua, especially Timburr and Croagunk who have a good chance of OHKOing Zorua with Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave respectively. Scraggy can tank Hidden Power Fighting and hit back even harder with Drain Punch while restoring health. Faster enemies, specifically Gligar and ScarFoo, have an easy time revenge killing Zorua after his Illusion is exposed, or even before if the opponent is not fooled. Special walls such as Munchlax and Mantyke that have offensive power can also take advantage of Zorua's mediocre defenses and rip through him with a powerful STAB move.</p>

What about a specs set with, say, a machop illusion? If machop is first in team preview, but zorua is sent out first, the enemy is likely to send out his machop counter, generally a ghost or psychic. This could also work with other fighting types, but I think machop is the only one commonly used as a lead.

Croagunk could make a neat disguise for NP Zorua, since it resists Zorua's weaknesses and has the allure for Psychic attacks that Zorua is immune to. Plus it has access to NP itself to cement the illusion.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice of Zorua's disguise should be something that shares at least one move with this set. Croagunk is generally one of the best choices because he lures Psychic-type attacks and resists Fighting and Bug while having shared access to Dark Pulse. 2 HP IVs is the lowest possible to maximize Hidden Power Fighting's base power while getting Zorua to 19 HP. Night Daze has a higher base power than Dark Pulse, but is the fox's signature move, so using it will automatically give away its disguise. Pursuit and U-Turn can be useful on this set, but Zorua can't afford to give up a slot for them.</p>

Seriously read the analysis before you comment on its content, this is the third time you've done this.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
checking, will VM you when I've finished
same color scheme
-such as over like in all cases possible

[Overview]
space
<p>Zorua is one of the unique new threats introduced in Generation V. With 80 base Special Attack, 65 base Speed, and subpar defenses, Zorua appears to be a canine similar to Houndour without the STAB Fire Blast and Flash Fire to worry about, making it seem underwhelming in comparison. However, looks can be very deceiving thanks to Zorua's signature ability, Illusion, which allows it to masquerade as a teammate in the user's party. Sadly, with Fighting-types such as like Timburr and Mienfoo running around with strong Fighting-type priority moves, Zorua must also tread carefully lest it to not make a fatal mistake. Despite its weaknesses, opponents must still be on their guard with this mischievous little fox now running around the ranks of Little Cup.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the element of surprise on Zorua's its side, it Zorua can be easily capable of taking out an unsuspecting opponent or tricking them into switching out. Dark Pulse is Zorua's second strongest STAB move on the special side next to Night Daze, but the former should be used for its flinch rate and higher accuracy. Priority in the form of STAB Sucker Punch hits like a truck against anything that does not resist it. Hidden Power Fighting hits everything bar Croagunk, who is OHKOed by Extrasensory, that Dark Pulse does not for at least neutral damage.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The choice of Zorua's disguise should be something that shares at least one move with this set. Croagunk is generally one of the best choices because he it lures Psychic-type attacks and resists Fighting and Bug, and also has while having shared access to Dark Pulse. 2 HP IVs is the lowest possible to maximize Hidden Power Fighting's base power while getting Zorua to 19 HP for minimized Life Orb recoil. Night Daze has a higher base power than Dark Pulse, but is the fox's signature move, so using it will automatically give away its disguise. Pursuit and U-Turn can be useful on this set, but Zorua can't afford to give up a slot for them.</p>

<p>Fighting-types tend to be the most problematic for Zorua, especially those with access to Mach Punch like such as Timburr. Scraggy is immune to Extrasensory and can tank Hidden Power Fighting while recovering with Drain Punch. Residual damage also really hurts Zorua mostly because it has a chance to expose his disguise. When your opponent sees a Croagunk becoming poisoned by Toxic Spikes, the chances are, they're going to become suspicious of Zorua's Illusion. For this problem, Magic Bounce Natu makes a great partner, sporting a 4x resistance to Fighting and capable of setting up Dual Screens to increase Zorua's chances of survival. Ghost-types like such as Gastly can switch into Bug-type and Fighting-type attacks aimed at Zorua. Wynaut,[remove comma] counters Scarf users, who which can revenge kill Zorua provided that they are aware of Zorua's Illusion. Entry hazards of your own are also greatly appreciated, so Ferroseed and Bronzor are great partners to can lay them down for Zorua.</p>

[SET]
move 3: U-Turn

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua is also capable of utilizing a Choice Scarf to be an effective revenge killer. Dark Pulse is used in the first slot primarily for the flinch rate, but Night Daze is still another choice for the chance to lower accuracy. Hidden Power Fighting in conjunction with Zorua's STAB Dark-type move gives him near perfect neutral coverage against everything in Little Cup that isn't named Croagunk. U-Turn is used for scouting and allows Zorua to make a quick escape if the opponent switches to a potential counter. The last slot is mainly filler, but Pursuit is generally recommended to cripple fleeing Psychic-types.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>A Naive or Hasty nature is used here to avoid decreasing the power of U-Turn and Pursuit. Since Zorua will be locked into one move anyway, fooling the opponent is not as important, but the element of surprise is still valuable on the switch in. However, to make it more effective of a revenge killer, its disguise should make the opponent oblivious to its role as a revenge killer. In this case, a slow and bulky teammate like Yamask can work work to trick the opponent into staying in or switching to a potential counter, thinking they can set up. Hidden Power Fire can also be used if you want to hit Ferroseed and Bronzor for super effective damage, but Zorua's role for this set is more inclined to revenge killing weakened sweepers. Extrasensory can also fit in the last slot to deal more damage to Fighting-types with Illusion still in tact, but being locked into a Psychic-type move makes room for Dark-types such as Scraggy to switch in.</p>

<p>Like the mixed set, this set appreciates a lack of entry hazards to preserve the element of surprise upon switching in. Scarfed Zorua also switches in and out more often, so to keep Zorua alive, it is best to have a teammate that can remove entry hazards, such as Magic Bounce Natu. maybe mention of Rapid Spin users as well? Again, Wynaut works well here to kill faster Scarf users, but must be cautious around opponents with strong STAB Dark moves like Houndour and Sandile.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zorua's higher Special Attack stat makes it capable of utilizing Nasty Plot. Dark Pulse is the recommended option here as its STAB move, capable of dealing heavy damage to, if not OHKOing anything that does not resist it after a boost. Hidden Power Fighting hits Steel-types and Dark-types that Dark Pulse cannot,[comma] while Extrasensory deals with Croagunk.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Night Daze can be used over Dark Pulse, but be aware that using its signature move will expose its his Illusion. Sucker Punch is another option to consider in place of Extrasensory to hit specially defensive attackers from the other side of the spectrum if you do not fear Croagunk. In this case, a Naive nature should be used to keep Sucker Punch from losing power.</p>

<p>There are many choices for Zorua's disguise, but for the best results on this set, it should appear as a teammate that discourages the opponent from hitting Zorua with priority or a super effective attack, such as a slow Ghost-type like Yamask or Flying-type such as Swablu. This type of Zorua generally has a harder time setting up as even one extra turn given to the opponent can be a turn when Zorua's disguise is at risk. Like the previous sets, partners such as Natu can function to get rid of entry hazards and Wynaut defeats Scarf users that threaten Zorua. Physical attackers such as like Timburr and Mienfoo are also appreciated to deal with special tanks such as like Munchlax and Mantyke. Dual Screens support is also an option to give Zorua more room to set up. Be cautious when using this set, as many faster enemies can come in and cripple Zorua with even a neutral attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zorua has access to Swords Dance and Agility, but is hindered by a shallow physical movepool and low defenses. A set utilizing Work Up could be passable, but it would be inferior to the mixed set. Its movepool also includes Taunt, Torment, Memento, and Substitute, but Zorua is better off attacking.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Anything that can deal heavy damage with a priority move is a problem for Zorua, especially Timburr and Croagunk, which who have a good chance of OHKOing Zorua with Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave,[comma] respectively. Scraggy can tank Hidden Power Fighting and hit back even harder with Drain Punch while restoring health. Faster enemies, specifically Diglett and Choice Scarf Mienfoo ScarFoo, have an easy time revenge killing Zorua after his Illusion is exposed, or even before if the opponent is not fooled. Special tanks such as Munchlax and Mantyke that have offensive power can also take advantage of Zorua's mediocre defenses and rip through him with a powerful STAB move.</p>

1/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)