Rate my uber team (team built around charizard and rayquaza)

This Ubers team was built mostly around charizard and rayquaza, two of my favorite pokemon of all time.

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Fire Punch

My lead, this pokemon is reliable in putting entry hazards to make life easier for the rest of the team. Taunt prevents the opponent from setting up stealth rock and the speed allows him to outspeed choice scarf kyogre and set up stealth rock and a layer of spikes. After that I usually just let it die, but he always gets the job done. Not much else to say since it's pretty self explanatory. Fire punch is mainly for lead fortresses, I use to have ice beam but I started having trouble with forrtress.

Groudon @ Earth Gem
Trait: Drought
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stone Edge

Rock polish sweeper set, earth gem boosted earthquake KO's standard kyogre after stealth rock, dragon claw is for dragons, stone edge is for flying types specially Ho-oh. Also he sets up the sun for charizard and I win the weather war most of the time unless I play stupidly or something. Not much to say really but hes a good sweeper specially late game.

Mewtwo @ Choice Specs
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psystrike
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt

I'm surprised choice specs mewtwo is not used that much but it's really good imo, I have sweeped teams with only psystrike alone with a little help of entry hazards. Psystrike is STAB and hits everything not resistant to it hard. Focus blast over aura sphere to just outright KO dialga, ferrothorn, darkrai, and arceus after some hazards. Ice beam hits flying types and dragons for good damage, thunderbolt is mainly a filler but useful in some cases but im thinking of changing it to another move.

Rayquaza @ Life Orb
Trait: Air Lock
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Dragon Claw
- Overheat

Probably my favorite legendary, this thing is just beast after a swords dance he's pretty hard to stop and with a little help of entry hazards he ohko's a lot of things with extremespeed alone which is pretty impressive he can even set up on a scarf kyogre locked into waterspout or surf and proceed to sweep the whole team. Dragon claw is his stab move and is very powerful after a swords dance, Overheat deals with steel types and because of his ability rain won't be a problem. This is the best set for rayquaza imo also surprised I have never battled this set. Not even imposter ditto can KO rayquaza with extremespeed if i'm at pretty good health so this set isn't countered by ditto.

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Iron Head
- Ice Punch
- Trick
- U-turn

Jirachi is very good in ubers, Choice scarf is to outspeed and paraflinch things to death, U-turn is to gain momentum, Ice punch hits dragons hard but no real use other than that. Trick can be so helpful at times when I'm having trouble taking down a latias,lugia or something. Also a revenge killer I guess and my go to pokemon for tanking dragon moves and ice moves. This set also does a good job at checking the new kyurem forms.

Charizard (M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Solar Power
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Focus Blast
- Overheat
- Dragon Pulse

Charizard's true place is in ubers imo he's just so good in there I run a choice scarf set since it's a must to outspeed a lot of threats and reaching an incredible 448 speed. I chose modest over timid to hit 522 in special attack in the sun and with overheat and 50% boost from the sun this thing OHKO's darkrai,groudon,mewtwo,jirachi,arceus,any deoxys really (except for deoxys d if its running full special defense and hp but its still OHKO'd after stealth rock),excadrill,shaymin-s,dialga, just to list some and does 62.98%-74.52% to 252hp/252sdef calm lugia after stealth rock but no one really runs that so it will ko most of the time.
I prefer charizard over reshiram because with a choice scarf it still ohko's a lot of things with overheat reshiram would need choice specs to hit hard but then he would have low speed and if you put choice scarf on it than choice scarf solar power charizard outclasses him, not to mention reshiram is still vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes. Airslash is more of a filler really I don't really use it unless its my last pokemon and the opponent has like 2 pokemon with low health.
Focus blast is also mostly a filler and only use it if I have to beat a wounded tyranitar or something but most of the time groudon or mewtwo and jirachi take care of him. dragon pulse hits palkia for good damage on the switch possibly killing it after hazards damage. Nothing more to say really but charizard is just beast in ubers.
Best thing of all is you don't need to set up or anything you just click overheat and watch things get knocked out but you got to make sure not to let your opponent set up stealth rock or else charizard won't be able to switch in and out but it usually isn't a problem because my team is offensive so most of the time they don't get to put stealth rock up. Ho-oh,kyogre,giratina,soul dew lati twins and the pink blobs wall this set but they will still lose a good chunk of their health then after that I can simply switch to the appropriate pokemon.

Below are some battle videos with this set in action.
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Larry-T-vs-FireBlaze22--2012-07-27
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Axcel-vs-FireBlaze22--2012-07-28
http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-FireBlaze22-vs-Stoned-RG--2012-07-27

So yeah that's it I would appreciate any recommendations. Maybe I could add a rapid spinner somewhere in there but like I said they usually don't get the chance to put stealth rock on my field.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello Spyro, great team you have here, though you can improve on it!

The first I notice is that you can utilize Hidden Power Fire > Fire Punch on Deoxys-S. With this, you can smash through Forretress, Skarmory, and Ferrothorn with ease, this holds true for Ferrothorn, as Fire Punch would break the Focus Sash due to Iron Barbs. Ofc, you'll need an EV Spread of 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd to use HP Fire, so that shouldn't be a big deal. Also, Groundon could use a Life Orb and a spread of 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd, as Life Orb means more power on all attacks, not just EQ, and with a LO, you KO 4/0 Kyorge after Rocks + 1 Layer of spikes as well. Lastly, you need a way to smash through Stall. As such, try using Choice Band > Life Orb on Rayquaza w/ V-Create > Overheat and Earthquake > Swords Dance. With this, you 2HKO Lugia + Groundon after Rocks, so you can smash through stall much easier with Rayquaza. Plus, you don't need to set up, which is great as you threaten things right away. Plus, transfer that 4 HP EVs into SDef, as with the 4 HP EVs, you take extra damage from Stealth Rock, so may as well avoid that.

From there, two things that bother me. 1st off, you have nothing to check Kyorge. It Water Spouts (or Ice Beam, in Rayquaza case) everything to hell. As such, replace Charizard with a Calm Mind Latias. With this, you get a solid switch into Kyorge as well as a way to smash through stall. I know you're going to miss Charizard, but in honesty, I don't see what it does for your team, as there is no spinner to keep Rocks away, plus with a Modest nature, Pokemon such as Scarf Palkia + Terrakion easily KO it. Solar Power only wears it down more. Now, another thing that concerns me is that there isn't a spin blocker on the team. That, and SD Arceus will also be problematic, as Jirachi is you're only check(a shaky one at best). As such, Giratina-O > Mewtwo works wonders, as you get an SD Arceus check, a Mewtwo check(with Shadow Sneak), a spinblocker, and a phazer to spread entry hazard damage, which is handy is breaking down walls for Groundon + Quaza.

So, in summary:

Pros- Smash through Forry, Skarm, and Ferro eaiser due to lower Special Defense, keep Sash intact when attacking Ferrothorn(doesn't activate Irob Barbs)

Cons: Lose to other Deo-S, though you could lead off with Gira-O or Quaza and 2HKO with Shadow Sneak or ESpeed, so it limits the hazards it gets up

Cons: Life Orb boosts all attacks, Spread outpaces Choice Scarf Terrakion

Cons: Recoil after every attack, shouldn't be a big deal since its a late game cleaner, slightly less bulk

Pros: Much better stall breaker, 2HKOs Groundon + Lugia after Stealth Rock, wrecks right away instead of having to set up. If you do use CB Quaza, before you start using Outrage, USE V-CREATE FIRST, as it has the same Base Power as Outrage after STAB without locking you into an attack, so you can switch out, keeping Rayquaza around longer, 4 HP EVs = extra damage from Stealth Rock.

Cons: After a SD, Rayquaza hits much harder, though its hard to set up a Swords Dance with Rayquaza, thanks to the popularity of Pokemon such as Lugia, Kyurem-White, and others

Pros: Kyorge switch in, Fighting resist, Ground immunity, Calm Mind + great bulk = have fun smashing teams with it

Cons: Losing your favorite Pokemon, though you should really consider either using Latias, as it synergies with your team better

Pros: SD Arceus check, a Mewtwo check(with Shadow Sneak), a spinblocker, Fight + Ground immunity, a phazer to spread entry hazard damage, which is handy is breaking down walls for Groundon + Quaza

Cons: None really, while Mewtwo is a powerful attacker, it didn't do much for the team, even being a liability, as Psystrike is resisted be alot of Pokemon in Ubers, while Giratina-O gives your team much more flexibility.

Latias @ Soul Dew
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Pulse
- Psyshock

Giratina-O @ Griseous Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 208 HP / 60 Atk / 188 Def / 44 SAtk / 8 Spd
Naughty Nature (+Atk, -SDef)
- Will-O-Wisp
- Dragon Tail
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Shadow Sneak

Good Luck with the team, hope I helped!

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
For the sake of the Uber ladder please stop using Charizard.
I prefer charizard over reshiram because with a choice scarf it still ohko's a lot of things with overheat reshiram would need choice specs to hit hard but then he would have low speed and if you put choice scarf on it than choice scarf solar power charizard outclasses him, not to mention reshiram is still vulnerable to spikes and toxic spikes. Airslash is more of a filler really I don't really use it unless its my last pokemon and the opponent has like 2 pokemon with low health.
This line of logic is questionable to say the least.

@ Residual damage: The amount of damage Charizard is taking from switching in to just Stealth Rock damage is equivalent to Reshiram switching in on SR and 3 layers of Spikes. Plus, Charizard must sacrifice 12.5% of its health every turn in sunlight, which means he's going to be dying much faster than Reshiram will.

@ Hitting hard: Charizard's power solely comes from its Fire attack...in a metagame where Kyogre is the #1 Pokemon, and Dragons roam every corner. Reshiram on the other hand gets Dragon STAB and just because of that Charizard's overall strength is invalidated.

Outside of those Resh has a lot more bulk and less sunlight dependence. That means, outside of having more power on Overheat (and the ability to outrun +1 Rayquaza, which you didn't utilize), Reshiram outclasses Charizard very hard.

@ The logs
- First log shows your opponent being extremely stupid against Charizard so it doesn't count towards proving Charizard's power, giving the illusion that it was good in that match.
- I can't take the second log seriously when your opponent uses Energy Ball Deoxys-S and ThunderPunch Infernape
- Similarly to the first log, your opponent sacrifices Groudon on Charizard for no reason.

Spyro, one of the [few] advantages you say Charizard has over Reshiram-W as your reason for using him is that Charizard is faster. This is perfectly reasonable since speed is a big issue in Ubers. But if speed was such an issue to you when deciding to use ScarfZard over ScarfWhiteboy, you don't just have to justify using Charizard over Kyurem, you have to justify using him over:
  • Palkia
  • Lati@s
  • Garchomp
  • Terrakion
  • Thundurus (both formes)
  • Darkrai
  • Shaymin-S
  • Salamence
All of which can run viable scarf sets and have base 100 speed or higher. Additionally, if speed is such an issue, why use Charizard over a priority user like Giratina-O, Scizor, or Arceus? You go on and on about how Charizard's damage in the sun is the greatest thing ever, but you neglect several important realities:

1. It's not always going to be sunny. This isn't Philadelphia. Teams with multiple weather users are becoming incredibly common with recent teams that have been successful using the dual weather approach. Hell, my default teambuilding strategy in Ubers is to use top5+Forry 4 weatherless pokemon, Groudon, and Kyogre so that I can always dictate what the weather will be like in a match. Even when people do make dedicated weather teams, they rarely go all-in by relying on a pokemon that is ONLY good in one specific type of weather like Charizard is.

2. Your opponent will probably get Stealth Rock up eventually. Yes, I know you have Deoxys-S. What's stopping them from using an attacker for a lead instead of their hazards pokemon, killing Deoxys, and then setting up later to invalidate Charizard's worth? Yes, Forry and Ferrothorn and Skarmory and even Groudon (to an extent) are afraid of Charizard, but it only takes a single turn for them to set up rocks and after that you effectively have one switch-in for the pokemon that your team is counting on to be an all-purpose revenge killer.

3. Charizard is about as bulky as a styrofoam coffee cup. 78/78/85 defenses are passable in the lower tiers but in Ubers that **** is a joke. Combine this with the fact that he is neutral or weak to very commonly used moves in the tier and the fact that he effectively starts the match with half his life and loses 1/16 per turn and, well, let's just say it's a good thing you also have Jirachi and Mewtwo because otherwise you probably wouldn't be able to revenge kill anything.

I hate to harp on this when other people have and inevitably are going to after me, but Charizard really is the elephant in the room with your team. Replacing it with any one of the pokemon above that I mentioned would improve your team instantly. I'm sorry to say this but your favorite pokemon just does not have a place in Ubers. If it makes you feel better, neither does mine (but someday I will be successful with Shuckle, I swear it...).

So aside from Charizard, the next thing about your team that catches my attention is your Mewtwo. You wrote the following:
I'm surprised choice specs mewtwo is not used that much
If you do some quick damage calcs comparing Specs Mewtwo with the standard Psychokiller Mewtwo, you'll see that after a Calm Mind, LO Psychokiller does more damage than Specs Mewtwo. If you do some quick playtesting, you'll see that Psychokiller Mewtwo holds a distinct advantage in sweeping compared to Specs Mewtwo because being able to use more than one attack is pretty important in Ubers.

If you're insistent on running Specs Mewtwo though, run Fire Blast over Focus Blast and Aura Sphere over Thunderbolt. Nothing you will realistically see in Ubers aside from Heatran resists Psychic/Ice/Fire coverage and Thunderbolt (btw this is Ubers so you should have been running Thunder instead anyway) is unnecessary for hitting...anything really. Psystrike will take care of Kyogre, Arceus-Water, and Ho-Oh, Fire Blast takes care of Skarmory, Ice Beam takes care of Tornadus and Lugia (with SR)...there's nothing I can think of in Ubers that's weak to electric that can't also be hit by one of these four moves for neutral or better damage already.

Finally, let's talk about your Groudon's item. First of all, it's Ground Gem, not Earth Gem. This is a minor nitpick but I'm naturally pedantic and I apologize for it. Second, although I see the necessity of it in killing Kyogre, I still don't think that Ground Gem is Groudon's best item on this set. TrollFreak already discussed the merits of Life Orb and changing your EV spread and I second his suggestion. Aside from running some gimmick like Double Dance, I can't think of a better way to boost Groudon's power than Life Orb.

The rest of your team is passable. Not great, but passable. I would recommend Fire Blast over Fire Punch on Deoxys-S though since it will allow it to keep its Focus Sash in tact against Ferrothorn's Iron Barbs.

@TrollFreak, the reason I chose fire punch was just because I prefer the speed tie to other deoxys or beating other deoxys with hp fire. Yes I know hp fire does more damage to forretress but due to sturdy it's still a 2hko like fire punch. About skarmory, I can just taunt it and set up hazards until skarmory kills it with brave bird, same with ferrothorn. I'll definitely switch earth gem with life orb so I can get more important KO's and the ev spread. I think i'll stick with swords dance rayquaza since it's just better for me and it's actually really easy to set up swords dance since he causes a lot of switches number 1 being scarf waterspout kyogre. Thanks for the latias suggestion but would latios also be good as a replacement to charizard? latios is pretty cool too so I might just replace it with that. And about giratina I think I'll just switch to mewtwo calm mind psycho killer like gates suggested since It fits my style more. Anyways thank you all for the suggestions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)