Ghost Team

Hello! I'm new here. Let's suppose there's a Ghost type Gym Leader; I want you to assist me in how to make this Ghost-only Team to its fullest potential. You're free to replace the Pokemon with another Ghost type, other moves, other items, other natures, other Evs, or perhaps other abilities is better. Anything as long as it's a ghost type Pokemon.

Gengar @ Leftover
Ability: Levitate
EVs: +252 in Sp.Atk, +252 Spd, +4 Hp
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
- Hypnosis
I picked a Fighting type Hidden Power to counter against Steel types and Normal Types. Hypnosis to annoy the opponent, Shadow Ball for Stab and Psychic to give it a powerful move in case the opponent is a normal type. Gengar is both fast and offensive, so I like this Pokemon.

Chandelure @ Leftover
Ability: Flame Body (30% chance of burning a Pokemon making contact with it)
EVs: +85 Defense, +252 Sp.Atk, +85 Sp.Def, +85 Spd
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Energy Ball
Chandelure has a unique typing of Ghost and Fire which is why I gave it Shadow Ball and Flamethrower for Stab. Its humongous Sp.Atk makes it powerful. Energy Ball is to help it counter against water types. I didn’t pick Flash Fire since I don’t think opponents are dumb enough to attack a Fire type Pokemon with a Fire type move.

Golurk @ Leftover
Ability: No Guard (Every Move will always hit)
EVs: +252 Atk, +128 Def, +128 Sp.Def
Nature: Brave(+Atk, -Spd)
- Dynamic Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Punch
I’m going to take advantage of No Guard by giving it Dynamic Punch and Stone Edge. A bit risky since this also means the opponent can hit Golurk 100%.

Cofagrigus @ Leftover
Ability: Mummy (Opponent making contact with this Pokemon will have its ability turned into mummy)
EVs: +252 Sp.Atk, +252 Sp.Def
Nature: Quiet(+Sp.Atk, -Spd)
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power (Fighting)
I thought it’s Sp.Def was lacking a bit so I spend the EVs on that while also boosting its Sp.Atk. A fighting type Hidden Power to counter against Dark, Steel, Normal type Pokemon. Trick Room is to make Cofagrigus faster than the opponent. The quiet Nature will increase it's offensive Sp.Atk while lowering its speed which is beneficial for Trick Room.

Dusknoir @ Leftover
Ability: Pressure (Reduce opponent’s PP by 2 instead of 1)
EVs: +252 Def, + 252 Hp
Nature: Brave(+Atk, -Spd)
- Shadow Punch
- Earthquake
- Pain Split
- Trick Room
His EVs are focusing on its Def and Sp.Def. Brave Nature lowers the speed which is beneficial for Trick Room. Taken advantage of Dusknoir's low Hp, Pain Split the only way of healing it. Earthquake helps it hit stronger against steel types. Taken advantage of Dusknoir's slow speed, Trick Room is useful to make it faster.

Jellicent @ Item Leftover
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: +252 Def, +252 Sp.Atk
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Scald
This Pokemon has a cool unique typing of Water and Ghost. I picked Cursed Body as the ability since Water Absorb seems not too useful for me. I don’t see why an opponent would use a water type move on a water type Pokemon. Ice Beam seems useful for dragon type Pokemon, Shadow Ball for Stab, Recover to survive longer in the battle, Scald as a Stab that also has a 30% of burning to target.

Hello Shinzo Asura! You have a pretty creative team, unfortunately I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Theme teams like this usually do not perform well in the competitive battling scene, and your Pokemon's sets are a little funky.

A lot of your EV sets are a little weird. 252 Defense Gengar? 85 Defense, +85 Sp.Def, +85 Spd Chandelure? Gengar and Chandelure usually want as much speed as they can get, so you're better off putting all those EV's in speed.

Almost all your guys have some weird EV spreads, and moves aren't really that great either. (Example: All attacking Dusknoir?)

Your team I'm sorry to say won't perform well in OU, as there are simply too many threats that can 6-0 your team. I can't really offer any advice either without literally changing your entire team.

The best thing I can say is Download a free Online Pokemon battling simulator. I recommend either Pokemon Online or Pokemon Showdown. This way you can test out anything you want easily and fast, and see what works and what doesn't, what threatens your team, etc.

I also recommend you read Smogon's Strategy Pokedex, and see what sets, moves, EV spreads, etc. work best for each Pokemon.

That's all I can say, I hope I helped :)

PS Also remember when you post a team in this section, you should have at least a 5 line description under each Pokemon. It helps raters understand your thought process, the Pokemon's role, etc. ;)

Hello Shinzo Azura!

I have a strange suggestion of what I would (and probably will be) doing. What if you make the mono ghost team into a 5TR+WC team? You have 3 users who can use Trick Room, 2 abusers, and one wild card in Gengar.

But before I do that, Water Absorb and Flash Fire are for when you switch INTO the fire or water attack, not for when you're already in there. They are incredibly useful, you shouldn't overlook them.

The export would look something like this:

Gengar @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Trick

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Energy Ball
- Flamethrower
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 2 Spd
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Nasty Plot

Dusknoir @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Pain Split
- Shadow Punch
- Trick Room

Golurk @ Life Orb
Trait: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 SDef / 128 Def
Brave Nature
- DynamicPunch
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Stone Edge

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 SDef / 4 HP
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Trick Room

The above team isn't "great" per sei, but I believe it would do three things for you:
1) Catch opponents off guard occasionally, Trick Room messes with people's brains.
2) Have that gym cohesive strategy "feel" to it, adding to the Gym Leader-esque goal.
3) Most importantly, be very fun.

It's not an amazing team by any means, but I believe it's going to be very difficult to make a mono ghost team that is incredibly competitive. This would be my best suggestion to retaining your members. Good luck!

I think you should replace something with Froslass, for the helpful spikes. Golurk can run Stealth Rock over Zen Headbutt, as SR is very helpful and Zen Headbutt gives you extra coverage against Fighting-types, though EQ has 10 less power and Golurk wrecks Fighting-types anyways. I would give Jellicent Water Absorb, then switch to it on predicted Water-type attacks on Golurk and Chandelure.
Another thing that seems to wreck your team is Dark-types in general. You only have 3 moves on the team to hit them for SE, and any pokemon that knows Sucker Punch, Crunch, or Dark Pulse will destroy your entire team.
Your more offensive pokemon should have LO or a Choice item.
Also, explain some of your pokemons' purpose and moveset more, I don't know what most of Dusknoir's set is used for.

Definitely you should add hazards to your team, having a team made out of Ghosts is just screaming hazards.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)