Registeel

[Overview]

Registeel sports fantastic bulk, and when compared to Cresselia, it's bulk is equal, if not better. It also sports a fantastic steel typing which makes it easy to switch into. Registeel can take multiple hits, and has access to a recovery move in the form of rest. It is great for changing weather conditions, through the moves Sunny Day, and Rain Dance, which upsets every weather team. Then it has access to the crippling Thunder Wave, which is always great since it's typing, and bulk allows it to set up without much worry. It's Steel typing has it's disadvantages too. Leaving it weak to three common types (Fire, Fighting, Ground), which do not share a common Physical, or Special liking. And if two Pokemon go for Registeel, with strong moves, it's done for. But, there is a move which will make Registeel a super-fast mon, and will allow it to become amazing support.

[SET]

Name: Anti-Weather Trick Room
Move 1: Swagger/Rain Dance/Sunny Day
Move 2: Charge Beam
Move 3: Sunny Day/Rain Dance
Move 4: Protect/Rest
Item: Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
Ev's: 252 HP/ 124 Def/ 8 SpAtk/ 124 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is possibly the greatest anti-weather set that Registeel can possibly utilize. To start off the first move has several options. You can use the popular worlds strategy of Swagger, or Rain Dance or Sunny Day which can be used for maximum anti-weather coverage, just since Rain Dance ruins everything except rain, and Sunny Day ruins everything except sun. Charge Beam is a great move that has a great chance to boost Registeel's average Special Attack, and can also be used to counter that fat bulky Politoed,or additional water types. Then the third move slot will be anti-weather support. I recommend Sunny Day over Rain Dance though, because Rain teams are a little bit more common. Then the last move also determines what it's gonna hold. Protect is useful to predict, scout, or take out a threat, while working in conjunction with Leftovers to restore a little HP. Or you could go for max HP restoration, and an immediate wake up call with the combo of Rest, and Chesto Berry.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

For this set, it would be better if Trick Room could go up so Registeel can have the upper-hand when it comes to who moves first. Registeel is not an attacker, and therefore set is susceptible to Taunt which it absolutely loathes. So Mental Herb is also an option to scout for Taunt. Registeel is probably the best anti-weather counter to Rain Teams, because they usually don't have mons that have super-effective moves against Registeel. Registeel can also be effective against Sun, to because of Rain Dance's hindrance.

[Other Options]

Registeel has access to some great support moves. You could give it Sleep Talk in place of it's first move, so it can work in conjunction with Rest. Thunder Wave can be in place of move umber 1, but it is counter productive on a Trick Room Registeel, but the paralysis is always useful. You can also replace it's first move with Curse, and it's second move with Iron Head, which works especially good with Trick Room since it has a chance to inflict a flinch. Then you could make it commit suicide, and give it a normal gem Explosion, which will deal massive damage. For the past two options you should alter it's Ev's for 8 into Attack, instead of Special Attack.

[Checks and Counters]

If Registeel is on the back of a super-effective move, with high base power and STAB, such as a Hi Jump Kick from Mienshao, it's chance of survival is decent, but it will be left with low HP. A gem Close Combat from Hitmontop also has a high chance of a OHKO, and same with a Guts boosted Close Combat from Hariyama. In addition, if a two super-effective attacks hit Registeel for the same turn it's chances of survival are fairly low. So ground, fire, and fighting types do the best at countering Registeel.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I wouldn't bother reserving anything, the meta's over and Registeel may not be in the list of legal Pokemon for VGC 13, and it certainly wouldn't be priority.

Okay, so I'm guessing since rules for October Regionals will be VGC 2012, we can continue working on our VGC 2012 articles?
Also, I did reserve Registeel a long time ago, but if you want to take him please go ahead :P

breh

強いだね
I don't think this set is good at all, frankly. I can't imagine why your sole attacking move is Charge Beam, especially when it takes two consecutive raises before it outdamages thunderbolt (which is inherently weak in the first place given that it's running from a fantastic uninvested base 75 SpA). Likewise, registeel does not need both weathers simultaneously slashed in two slots. The EVs are suboptimal and the set is done better by Cresselia.

I'd suggest testing any new sets a bit before posting.

Well Registeel is not an attacker, with 75 / 75 attacking stats, your better off with Metagross. This set's goal is not to attack rather to just give support in the form of anti-weather. And you don't have to have both weather in the slots, as Swagger is a useful option. In my opinion Registeel, and Cresselia are even, but Cresselia is a little better at attacking. I have tested this set on GBU, and due to the amount of weather teams I face this set works good.

Uh... do you have logs of this set being effective? I don't mean to sound offensive, but this looks like a giant wad of bad theorymonning without any playtesting to back it up. You're relying on Charge Beam of all things as your lone attacking option? How is Registeel the best counter to Rain when it doesn't resist Surf and can't do squat back without accumulating several Charge Beam boosts (even then, it's a sitting duck for Gastrodon)? If you're going to do an analysis for a Pokemon like Registeel that sees next to no competitive play, you need to find some exclusive niche which justifies its teamslot. From what I've read, you haven't found any sort of niche for him; you're just spouting a load of garbage.

Logs? All I do is go on GBU doubles, and just about 6/10 times, I'm facing a weather team. Registeel fits this description quite well for me as I do not intend for it to attack rather to just supply support. I chose Charge Beam because it has a great chance of boosting the Special Attack, and 1 out of every 2 weather teams is rain. But Swagger is also a useful option, and the set I run with Registeel is

Mental Herb

Swagger
Charge Beam
Sunny Day
Protect

Did you just completely ignore what he said? He wanted to see logs. But did you show them? No. He said charge beam was a bad idea because it isn't powerful without any boosts and gastrodon is immune to it. Since you've "seen so many rain teams," you should know that 90% of them carry a gastrodon, which should prove to be a lot of trouble for your registeel. Also, who cares about special attack boosts when Registeel can get 1-hitted by almost any Pokemon with surf? Also, I see no way in which Swagger would be helpful other than helping accumulate SpAtk boosts, which are pretty worthless anyways.
So please do show some battle logs, or I will be convinced that you're bullshitting us.

I said above that I don't know what logs are. You are right about Gastrodon though. I guess I did'nt bother thinking about it is because most of the rain I faced is usually just Politoed, Thundurus, Kingdra, Ludicolo, Scizor, and Jellicent.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Logs meaning Pokemon Online logs. You'll need to provide those or other instances of the set actually working.

Seriously. How do you not know what logs are? Battle logs are records of your battles, and what happened in them. Pokemon Online has an option to save battle logs. Since you don't have any right now, please do a few battles with this set and save the logs, then upload them here.

Logs are battle logs from Pokemon Online, a pokemon battling simulator. Also, you can prove how effective this registeel set is by posting battle video numbers.

Also, Registeel's 80/150/150 bulk is weaken than Cresselia's 130/120/130 bulk. In addition, I feel that the current Registeel set is outclassed by Cresselia, who I guess can run its current set and more.

However, Registeel does have some niches over Cresselia, like Dragon-resist, Bug-Resist, Rock-Resist, etc. but in return for weakness to the common Fighting, Fire and Ground attacks. So, it can be run as an anti-dragon paralyzer, tanking Latios and TTar moves and hi t-wave them. Also, chesto rest or sitrus would work better due to the fast pace meta. Also I would say its current ev spread could use some work to survive certain hits better

^ Thanks, thats a good idea, but I do have Registeel on Trick Room so paralyzing may not be a good idea, other than the occasional unable to attack state.

^^ I can't do PO. I've tried to download it multiple times, but am unable to. Not sure why, but I guess it's because I'm using a Mac. I can only use wi-fi. I am able to use PS, but I don't think they have a doubles feature quite yet.

Okay, obviously this needs a lot of work...
But insulting someone for their lack of experience isn't going to make things any better. We should be trying to help him out. And if the mods really don't see any potential in this, they can deal with it however they want.
In my experience, the only time I've seen Registeel used competitively was on a paraflinch team. It is (correct me if I'm wrong) the only Pokemon besides Smeargle and Regirock that learns both Thunder Wave and Rock Slide. While it has low speed, it has pretty much no use at all on a trickroom team, and after a Thunder Wave it will still outspeed most threats, barring speed boost pokes and some choice scarf users. Hitmontop's gem boosted close combat is a big problem for Registeel, so max defense investment or a Chople berry should be mandatory on any set. Rain Dance and Swagger are useful moves, but Cresselia can utilize them much more effectively. Dragon resistance is cool, and, unlike thunderus, Registeel won't be OHKOed by Latios after paralyzing it.
All in all though, Registeel is pretty much useless in VGC 2012. I have personal experience to back that up, having reserved his analysis a long time ago :P

Logs? All I do is go on GBU doubles, and just about 6/10 times, I'm facing a weather team. Registeel fits this description quite well for me as I do not intend for it to attack rather to just supply support. I chose Charge Beam because it has a great chance of boosting the Special Attack, and 1 out of every 2 weather teams is rain. But Swagger is also a useful option, and the set I run with Registeel is

Mental Herb

Swagger
Charge Beam
Sunny Day
Protect
The problem I have is that you have yet to justify why I should use Registeel over any of the other common anti-weather options like Rotom-W, Gastrodon, or even Tyranitar. They lack Registeel's natural bulk, but they more than make up for it with their better defensive typing versus weather and the ability to actually damage things. Dedicating a Pokemon to nothing but raw support is a tall order, and that Pokemon better have amazing synergy with whoever he's supporting. You're also making mention here and there about it being effective under Trick Room support too. That seems like an awful lot of work to get one Pokemon to fulfill one job over multiple turns that another Pokemon can deal with out of the box. From the look of it, all you're doing is slapping Sunny Day on something (something that actually hates Fire-type attacks no less) and calling it anti-weather support.

I and, from what I gathered on IRC, many others are still extremely skeptical of this set. Either resolve your PO troubles and start taking a few battle logs, or post a battle video number or something of your set working against a competent opponent.

(Also, I don't mean to sound insulting, this set just looks really screwy as Registeel's lone niche)

^^ Thanks for you contributions. The idea I had with Registeel is that it is not quite used as much as Cresselia, and some (not all) do not know what might come of it. I wass basically looking for a mon with high defensive stats (not shuckle because it's HP sucks.) that has access to a recovery move, or can utilize Leftovers effectively. With a good support movepool, and access to Thunder Wave, someone tell me if there is another Pokemon that can fufill these roles.

Biosci

Danger!?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Smogon VGC Tournamentis a Past SCL Champion
With a good support movepool, and access to Thunder Wave, someone tell me if there is another Pokemon that can fufill these roles.
Cresselia outclasses that set by far, save it some defensive typing quirks. But Cresselia also brings means to deal with Fighting-types and even Dragon- and Flying-types, which Registeel really has a hard time doing.

Also to post a battle video, save the battle that you have on the GBU when it asks you that at the end of the battle and upload the battle video by using the person on the top-right of the Pokemon centers. After uploading it, give us the battle video as logs of it's success.

And niches that Registeel has over Cresselia really is probably being more of a wall and slowly killing things with Seismic Toss or heck even using Counter. Also Registeel doesn't need to be used in TR, it makes a GREAT support outside of TR allowing it to use Thunder Wave and it's other support moves.

Solace

royal flush
To be honest I really don't see the point in having a writer that doesn't know how to find Registeel's niche.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)