This fire outta control

[youtube]IJr5l7j8VeU[/youtube]​

Hello everybody, this is my second RMT and my first OU one. I am a very fond user of sun, I honestly have no idea why but I have always found it more fun than any other playstle, certainly more so than any of the other weathers. You should also know that I am a decidedly mediocre player, often losing to teams I should beat and just generally making pretty awful predictions. However, this team got me to about 1320-ish on the PS ladder, and while that is considered pretty crap by nearly everybody else ever, it is my all-time peak (sad, I know).
This team won’t be winning anything anytime soon, but I really enjoy using it, the idea behind the team was to have a solid offensive core while maintaining some defensive power.

A quick look

To start with I needed a Ninetales… so it joined the team. The next step of my team building journey was also remarkably simple, I thought to myself “what you need is a chlorophyll sweeper, a scarfer and a pokemon to put huge holes in the enemies team”, thus Venusaur, Gensect and Volcarona were added. Now I had two spaces left, and no hazards or a spinner, this led me to a very tricky situation, should I add a Forretress and sacrifice my teams’ momentum, or should I have a Deoxys-d and a spinner, but sacrifice a team slot. I decided to go down the latter route, because Forretress has never really done it for me. However, now came the tricky part of selecting a spinner, as I’ve mentioned forry was out, this also ruled Donphan out as it was too slow and not as bulky as I’d expected. Tentacruel was out, poor physical defence and a weakened STAB move really don’t appeal to me. So now I was left with two choices, Starmie, who has a weakened STAB and a shared pursuit weakness with my hazard setter. Or Hitmontop, who is generally known to be crap. After a while I decided on Hitmontop. But I’d be more than willing to try out a Starmie.

~~~~~~~~~~

Ninetales@ leftovers.
Evs: 248HP/ 8DEF/ 252 SpD Nature: calm
Ability: Drought
-substitute
-roar
-will-o-wisp
-flame thrower

Ninetales is of course 100% neccersary for any OU sun team, but I wish it wasn’t because it is pretty much awful, but the powers that be at game freak gave the much sought after drought to ninetales, so what choice do we have. My move set is fairly unorthodox, but I will try to explain as best I can. Subsititute is used to scout attacks and switches while also prtecting me from damage for a while, there reallly isn’t much more to say about it. Roar is what I use to rack up hazard damage, it may seem odd but bear in mind I almost never lead with ninetales but with deoxys so I normally have hazards up, I also use roar to break up volt-turn teams and the odd baton pass team. One reason I’m particly fond of roar is that it can force out CM lati@s and DD dragonite, both huge problems for sun, if I have my sub up. Will-o-wisp, again has good move synergy with substitute, especially as a lot of teams answer to ninetales is terrrakion, who is made utterly useless after a burn, it also helps to wear down hipowdown, who, while rare is a huge annoyance for this team. My final move is flamethrower, because I might as well do some damage, and with sun plus STAB it hits decently hard. My EV’s are to maximise specail bulk and hp, I don’t really need defense EVs because of will-o-wisp.

~~~~~~~~~~

Deoxys-d @ leftovers
Evs: 252HP/ 252SPE / 4DEF nature: Timid
Ability: Pressure
-stealth rock
-spikes
-night shade
-taunt

Deoxys-d, we all know what it does and how it does it, set up hazards at annoy stall. This move set should explain it’s self, stealth rock and spikes are used to help volcarona and venusaur turn 2HKOs into OHKO’s and to punish volt-turn and genrally be awesome. Taunt is, again, seen on nearly every deo-d, because of the huge bulk of the thing it is very hard for an unboosted attacker to knock it out, taunt’s job it to keep it that way, the oppenent unboosted and strugling to leave a dent while I set up layer after layer of hazards; taunt is also useful to stop any attempts to stall me or set up a baton pass chain. Night shade is my only way of dealing damge, obviously, I chosse night shade of ice beam because I felt deo simply wasn’t strong enough to dish out any pain at all with it, I also have gensect for that. My EV’s, like the rest of the pokemon, are simple. Max Hp for more abilty to take punishment, Max speed for more hazards and 4 Def because I didn’t know where elso to put them.

~~~~~~~~~~

Hitmontop@ leftovers
Evs: 244HP/ 48ATK/ 208DEF/ 8SpD Nature: careful
Ability: Technician
-rapid spin
-mach punch
-sucker punch
-fake out

Hitmontop sucks.
But seriously it’s really not very good. I only have it on my team because I couldn’t think of a sutible spinner. But anyway, I carry rapid spin for obvious reasons, to allow volc to switchin much easier and to switching and scouting less painful for gensect. The rest of my moves are mostly filler, however they do give something the rest of my team lacks, priority. Mach punch is also my main way of dealing with terraakion should venusaur be down. Sucker punch is decent enough for killing spin blockers, as long as their not called jellicent; Chandy and a lot of gengar ore OHKO’d by sucker punch wich is nice, but beating gengar requires allot of prediction because they nearly all have substitiute or disable/pain split.Fake out is pretty useful actually it gives hitmontop a degree of protection from dugtrio, alakazam and any other focus sash users. My Evs are all over the place, I’m really not sure what they acomplish at all. I basically wanted some attacking power while reataning bulk. This the team member I’m least sure on and this is where I would really appreciate help

~~~~~~~~~~

Volcarona@ life orb
Evs: 252SPA/ 252SPE/ 4DEF nature: Timid
Ability: flame body
-quiver dance
-firey dance
-bug buzz
-giga drain/ hp ground
This thing has sooooo much power it’s unreal, at +1 under the sun nearly everything not called blissey or chansey is OHKO’d, the premise behind volc is simple, come in on something unthreataning, like ferrothorn set up a quiver dance on the switch and then proceed to split the oppenent in half. But. My issue with volcarona is that it is very inconsistent, often not dealing quite enough damage then dying due to it’s rather poor defence. Back to the point in hand, Quiver dance is one of the best boosting moves in the game, IMO, as all of the boosts are useful without having a drawback. Firey dance and bug buzz are my STABs of choice and they are stupidly strong often koing frailer resists in one, I am considering switching to fire bast however to give me more power and to improve volcs game to game performance. Giga drain is currently my fourth move, I like it because it gives me a weapon to use against rain without relying on bug buzz, but for reasons I will go into later I’m considering changing it to HP ground to get past heatran. The Evs are simple, full speed and special attack for maximum killing power, with the 4 defence evs being there to add a bit of protection from priority attacks.

~~~~~~~~~~

Gensect@ choice scarf
EVS: 252SPA/ 252SPE/ 4ATK Nature: Rash
Ability: Download
-bug buzz
-flamethrower
-ice beam
-u-turn

There really is no reason not to use scarf genesect on a sun team these days, it’s incredibly effective at what it does and it’s just generally a monster. Gensect is possibly the most valuable member of my team as it’s unpredictablity often forces my oppenent into a tight situation, this is compounded by Gensects montrous special attack after a download boost. The moves are mostly standard for Sect, but the more eagle eyed amongst you may of noticed I’m not carrying thunderbolt, the reason for this is, I’m more worried about dragons having their way with my team that rain teams. Bug buzz is my obvious STAB and as I’ve said already it’s stupidly strong I can’t think of any none resists that aren’t blobs who live 2 hits. Flamethrower is very strong under the sun, like really strong; I know I’m repeating myself here but genesect is just sooo strong. Ice beam is my key dragon killing strategy thing, because dragons are famous for stopping teams like this I decided to put allot of effort into making sure that doesn’t happen, also Ice beam kills gliscor, which is always nice. U-turn is the single most important move on this team because it nearly always gets either volcarona or venusaur in safely to let them wreak hovoc. Yet again my evs are very simple, max attacking power and some physicall attack evs to beef up u-turn.

~~~~~~~~~~

Venusaur@ life orb
Evs: 252SPA/ 252SPE/ 4ATK Nature: Hasty
Ability: Chlorophyll
-growth
-giga drain
-sludge bomb
-earthquake

Venusaur, the second part of my sweeping duo and one of favorite pokemon to use in BW2. Basically I send out venusaur when the opponents team is weak and broken from repeated assalts from volcarona and genesect and then rip it to shreds, well that’s the plan anyway. Growth is obvious really, no venusaur is complete without it, the ability to double both attacking stats at once is invaluable, without it venusaur would probably be floundering in RU/NU with the rest of the Chlorophyll sweepers. Giga drainb is so useful, it gives my team a decent way of killing the blobs without relying on hitmontops mach punch too much, also the healing is fantastic for negating life orb damage. Sludge bomb is a pretty useful auxillay STAB it’s got some pretty decent power and, guess what, it helps me to kill dragons, bet you’ve never heard me say that before. Now, do you remember when I was talking about volcarona I mentioned I might switch to hp ground for reasons I would go into later? Well, this is the later. As you can see I currently have earthquake on venusaur to beat down heatran, well venusaur isn’t really that well equipped to beat ‘tran anyway, so I’m considering putting HP fire in earthquakes slot. EV’s are, yet again, remarkably simple (god, I really need to be more creative), full ttacking stats to wreak maximum carnage and mayhem.​

Thank you for taking the time to read this, it’s greatly appreciated. I’m also sorry for any grammar mistakes in their, I’m a tiny bit dyslexic. Any help would be very nice. So rate, hate, steal (Yeah right) or whatever.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
All in all, this team seems nice. I use sun myself, so it's nice to see another sun team that isn't just Lavos Sun copypasta.

Edits:
If killing Dragons is the reason for having Sludge Bomb on Venusaur, then switch that out for Hidden Power [Ice]. It has better power against most of them, and it has MUCH better coverage outside of Dragon-types - Gliscor, Landorus, and some other Pokemon your team has issues with will fall to HP-Ice quickly.
I'd suggest reconsidering the EVs on Hitmontop - maybe it's just me, but I don't see the utility of the current spread. I also question the total lack of Speed investment in Ninetales - if you don't already have a Sub up, you'll be caught off guard fairly often. (To be fair, I've never used a Substitute Ninetales myself, so I don't have firsthand experience with the utility of it...)
Bug Buzz on Genesect really should be swapped out for Thunderbolt, in my experience - Bug Buzz doesn't really hit anything notable that your other moves don't except for Reuniclus, and Thunderbolt enables you to one-shot Politoed.
With the prevalence of rain nowadays, you may want to consider a Sunny Day Ninetales - being able to set up sun on a predicted Politoed/Tyranitar switch and threaten them with Solarbeam is lovely.

Good luck with this.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi, I got your request.

Cool Sun team. However, like a lot of other Sun teams, your team is a bit weak to Rain- in fact, in the Rain, Specs Tornadus outspeeds and OHKO's every member of your team- except Genesect, who can't switch in because it too is OHKO'd. Ninetales may be able to handle it, however even in the Sun Hurricane will still do a considerable amount to your inducer- it's a 2HKO, while Flamethrower fails to OHKO without prior damage. You're right- hitmontop is dragging the team behind- not only because it's typing does not synergize well, but also because it's attacks are a bit too weak. To help, I think switching Hitmontop with Defensive Donphan would be a good idea.

Donphan @ Leftovers
Adamant nature, 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Rapid Spin / Stealth Rock / Earthquake / Ice Shard

Donphan is a sizeable answer to Tornadus- as it's Ice Shard is a 2HKO, while Hurricane fails to OHKO if there are no hazards (which is something you'll prevent, right?) It spins and hits with priority- just like Hitmontop. With EQ, it also demolishes Tyranitar and Terrakion, two other big threats to your team. Stealth Rock is for hazards, but Stone Edge can also be used to kill weakened Tornadus and Volcorona. Donphan's massive physical bulk will allow it to work with Ninetales as your defensive core.

Now that Donphan has Stealth Rock, that opens up a slot for Deoxys-D. I suggest you run T-Wave in that last slot- to cripple set up sweepers like SD Terrak, CM Latias, and DDDragons. T-Wave also opens up setup for your own sweepers, Venasaur and Volcorona- giving them an easier time reaching that crucial +2 that is needed to KO certain threats.

Finally, I think Thunderbolt would be better for Genesect than Bug Buzz. T-Bolt destroys bulky waters and flying types, while Bug Buzz is slightly redundant compared with U-Turn. Not to mention Volcorona already Buzzes for you.

Cool team, good luck!

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hey,

First off, your Hitmontop experience probably isn't the best because you aren't using it to its main advantage over other spinners, that advantage being the ability to get off rapid spin nearly all the time, with his main niche having access to the fabled Foresight + Rapid Spin combo which makes him the rapid spinner he is, while Intimidate makes him a good switch into Physical threats as he has intimidate to nullify their effectiveness somewhat, and scare them out for rapid Spin opportunities. I think you should switch abilties from Technician to Intimidate, due to the fact that Hitmontop hits like a girl with that much investment in OU with those weaker moves, and is much more suited towards intimidate rinsing Physical threats in the metagame, while getting Rapid Spin opportunities on the switch. You should also use Foresight > Fake Out as Fake out will do next to nothing with that investment, and Foresight basically guarantees you to get a rapid spin off the next turn, most notably against Jellicent here and considring your team really needs to keep hazards off the field to sweep as well as win the weather war, foresight is a really good option.

Seconding Thunderbolt > Bug Buzz on Genesect. The abilty to hit water types is too hard to pass up on a sun team, and most notably Genesect can help with your problems to Gyarados, who can throw around a few high powered bounces even in sun and hit your team members very hard. I would also recommend an EV spread change to 92Atk/ 252SpA/ 164Spe and a nature change to hasty. With those EV's you outspeed +1 base 80's most notably Dragonite, and the only things you really miss out on are Scarf Hydreigons and opposing Scarf Genesect, which is a speed tie at best anyway. The extra power in your U-Turns is a lot more noticeable then speed tying opposing Genesect and losing to the rare Scarf Hydreigon, who can't switch into you anyway.

Looking at your team, it is highly susceptible to losing the weather war. Your team doesn't have a switch into to either Band Tyranitar or Specs Politoed, both of which are gaining usage on the ladder a lot. And the thing is, with your kind of team losing the weather was is basically GG. I think your team doesn't really benefit from the Spikes Support Deoxy-D supplies, as your 2 sweepers have apocalyptic power after a boost anyway, and a layer of 2 of spikes isn't really necessary for them to succeed. I would instead reccomend a standard sun pokemon that can help immensly in your winning of the weather war, can still supply SR and also provides an avenue to beat Heatran. Yes, Standard sun Dugtrio > Deoxy-D would be an excellent change here. Considering Air Balloon tran is a massive thorn in your side, a way to get all Heatran variants out of the way will Help volcarona sweeping immensely, and the ability to trap ans either heavily damage or kill opposing weather starters, greatly aiding in your weather war winning and overall victory.

Finally, I would change Earthquake to HP [FIRE] on Venusaur. This still gives you the abilty to hit steels that show up and attempt to wall your STAB's, but it hits harder than Earthquake and has the added bonus of hitting targets such as Bronzong and Skarmory, while you lose out on the ability to hit Heatran, your new Dugtrio remedies this a lot.

GL with the team man
Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly (+Spe -SpA)
Trait: Arena Trap
EV's: 252Atk/ 4SpA/ 252Spe
IV's: 21HP/ 0Def/ 0SpD/ max rest
Earthquake/ Reversal/ Stealth Rock/ Stone Edge

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)