Golem (ADV OU) (Choice Band Rewrite) [QC 3/2] [GP 2/2] UPLOAD

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
fuck i am a horrible procrastinator when i'm bogged down with all other work.

anyway here ya go, this is what cb golem needs to look like.

lol hp rock wtf its weaker lol

i'm not exactly super-knowledgeable about adv but 4 sentence set really i mean come on.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Earthquake
move 2: Rock Slide / Hidden Power Rock
move 3: Hidden Power Bug / Double-Edge
move 4: Explosion
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 200 HP / 220 Atk / 88 Spe
ivs: 30 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Apart from its unfortunate weaknesses to Water and Ground, Golem is a pretty decent Pokemon. This set capitalizes on Golem's ability to hit hard and take blows from the opponent's Pokemon with relative ease. It's not the best Pokemon in the world, being partially outclassed by Rhydon and having pitiful Special Defense and abysmal Speed, but Golem can get the job done regardless. Earthquake is the first STAB move of choice, boasting solid power and great neutral coverage. Rock Slide serves as Golem's secondary STAB and has great coverage with Earthquake, hitting Salamence, Gyarados, and the like hard. Additionally, it has a 30% chance to flinch, which is useful for defeating Snorlax and Forretress. Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol, Flygon, or Breloom. Hidden Power Rock is an option over Rock Slide for its 100% accuracy, but the lack of a flinch chance makes it inferior to Rock Slide, not to mention that using it prevents the use of Hidden Power Bug. Speaking of Hidden Power Bug, it provides crucial coverage on Celebi, who could otherwise switch in with impunity. Double-Edge is another possible choice, boasting decent coverage and a lack of recoil thanks to Rock Head. Double-Edge is generally the safest move to go for in most scenarios as it prevents Salamence or Gyarados from switching in unscathed, unlike Earthquake. The last moveslot is occupied by Explosion, which enables Golem to KO most Pokemon that do not possess a Ghost typing and gives it a way to actually do some damage to Skarmory and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Golem can survive an Earthquake from Choice Band Salamence or +1 Tyranitar and outspeed Blissey and Swampert. The remaining EVs are invested in Attack and supplemented by an Adamant nature for maximum damage output.</p>

<p>Golem needs a lot of support from its teammates to function effectively. It can't do much damage to bulky Water-types, such as Swampert and Milotic, so Celebi is a great partner, as it has excellent type synergy with Golem. Zapdos is another option to beat bulky Water-types and has an immunity to Golem's Ground-type weakness, which Celebi lacks. Do note that Golem can damage bulky Water-types if it gets a chance to hit them multiple times, but it won't be able to survive the turns it needs to do so. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-ins, so Skarmory and Forretress make great partners. Skarmory can switch in on just about every attack that threatens Golem, which is very useful. Rapid Spin support from Forretress or Cloyster is recommended to prevent Golem from being worn down by Spikes, which is important because of how easily it is worn down without them. In a similar vein, Wish support is helpful, replenishing the HP Golem loses to residual damage such as status conditions and Leech Seed. Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices for Wish passing as they are both very bulky and can take on Celebi and the bulky Water-types that give Golem trouble; Blissey in particular is well-suited for this role. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem as it can set up the Spikes Golem dreads right in its face. For this reason, Pokemon such as Metagross with Hidden Power Fire or ThunderPunch, Fire Blast Snorlax, Hydro Pump Swampert, Choice Band Aerodactyl, Choice Band Tyranitar, Fire Blast Salamence, or a Choice Band Fighting-type is recommended to take on Skarmory. The support that Golem requires is fairly substantial, as you can see, but it can work to decent effect if you give it the support it desires.</p>

this really doesn't need to be written. anyone with scms can just ewrite the overview and AC(i think i dont have much scms knowledge). other than that, golem really isn't even a pokemon in the adv ou metagame. i've never seen it used before and it's not at all good in OU. only thing it has over rhydon is boom, but rhydon is better overall, and rhydon isn't even good! this doesn't need a rewrite. if for some reason my superiors think that this needs a rewrite, you're going to need a lot more detail. Hidden Power Rock is probably better than Rock Slide since you're only flinching a Snorlax and a Forretress. Mention a spread that outspeeds blissey, and more that i dont have time to post about

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
If someone is willing to rewrite something then they can... especially for old gens

If Golem is a bad mon he can draw attention to that in the writing

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
ty sir i added some stuff. yeah i'm gonna say that golem is pretty bad.

EDIT: oh and btw when i did a set of 3 overviews in the missing sections thread golem was one of them—i will do it asap, the other two are done.

Tamahome

startling sign
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
Well, yeah, I don't know why you would even bring this back but fine, if you want to do it, let's do it right! Why exactly are the EVs like that? Here's a better spread: 200 HP/220 Atk/ 88 Spe; IV's: 30 Atk, 30 Def, 30 SpD. Now you can at least explain that this spread allows you to survive an EQ from banded Mence or +1 Tyranitar, that this way you outspeed Blissey and Swampert(which is important, even Golem being bad in ADV OU).

I won't procrastinate on approving it, so once you change the EV spread and explain the reasons above, consider it Approved.

skarmory rapes this thing so mention hp fire/thunder punch metagross, fire blast lax, hydro pump swampert, cb aerodactyl, cb ttar, fire blast mence, and choice band fighting-types. you always get your shit done so consider this my approval

edit: mention rapid spin support from and wish support since this thing gets warn down quickly

Jukain

!_!
double posting because this is written up and ready for gp checks. (and btw, i did it because i felt like it)

Remove the mention of Donphan as teammate since Cloyster is a much better spinner and more common. Golem hits bulky Water-types pretty hard since they can't really switch into it over and over again, especially swampert and suicune since they have to rely on protect or rest.

Amateur GP check. Take whatever you think is useful from it.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Aside from its unfortunate weaknesses to Water and Ground, Golem is a pretty decent Pokemon. It hits hard and has the bulk to take a few blows (or a word you prefer), and this is what this set capitalizes on. It's not the best Pokemon in the world (add comma) and is being partially outclassed by Rhydon, (remove comma) also and having pitiful Special Defense and abysmal Speed, but regardless Golem gets can get the job done. Earthquake is the first STAB move of choice, boasting solid power and great neutral coverage. Rock Slide is also STAB and has great coverage with Earthquake, hitting Salamence, Gyarados, and the like hard. Additionally, it has a flinch chance, which is useful for Snorlax and Forretress. Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol. Hidden Power Rock is an option over Rock Slide for its 100% accuracy, but the lack of a flinch chance makes it inferior to Rock Slide, not to mention that it prevents the use of Hidden Power Bug. Speaking of Hidden Power Bug, it provides crucial coverage on Celebi, who could otherwise switch in without fear. Double-Edge is another possible choice, having decent coverage and a lack of recoil thanks to Rock Head. Double-Edge is generally the safest move to go for in any given scenario, as it doesn't risk Salamence or Gyarados switching in with impunity, unlike Earthquake. The last moveslot is occupied by Explosion, which allows Golem to KO any given Pokemon that does not possess a Ghost typing and gives it a way to actually do any sort of damage to Skarmory and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Golem can survive an Earthquake from Choice Band Salamence or one from +1 Tyranitar and outspeeds outspeed Blissey and Swampert, two Pokemon that are fairly important to outspeed. The remaining EVs are invested in into Attack and supplemented by an Adamant nature for the highest possible damage output.</p>

<p>As far as support, Golem definitely needs it. It can't do much damage to bulky Water-types, such as Swampert and Milotic, so Celebi is a great partner, also having excellent type synergy with Golem. Zapdos is another option to beat bulky Water-types and has an immunity to Golem's Ground-type weakness, which Celebi lacks. Do note that Golem can damage bulky Water-types if it gets a chance to hit them multiple times, but the issue is just that&mdash;Golem probably won't survive long enough to defeat them. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-ins, so Skarmory and Forretress make great partners. Skarmory can switch in on just about every attack that threatens Golem, which is useful in and of itself. Rapid Spin support from Forretress or Cloyster is recommended to prevent Golem from being worn down by Spikes, which is important because of how easily it is worn down even without them on the field. In a similar vein, Wish support is helpful, dealing with the other forms of residual damage that Golem is affected by, such as status (just a thought, but wish doesn't do much other than slow the hp decline from status; this might be fine as is (and that's totally your call), but I thought that might be worth mentioning) and Leech Seed; Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem, as Golem cannot do much damage to Skarmory and Skarmory can set up the Spikes is it dreads right in its face. For this reason, Pokemon like Metagross with Hidden Power Fire or Thunderbolt (Metagross can't learn Thunderbolt; did you mean ThunderPunch maybe?), Fire Blast Snorlax, Hydro Pump Swampert, Choice Band Aerodactyl, Choice Band Tyranitar, Fire Blast Salamence, and any Choice Band Fighting-type is recommended to take on Skarmory. The support that Golem requires is fairly heavy, as you can see, but it can work to decent effect if you give it the support it desires.</p>

The only other thing I'd possible consider mentioning is that, while I'm not sure what Smogon policy is regarding whether stuff like that should be included, it might be worth it to mention that the 30/30/30 ivs aren't needed if you go with Double Edge.

Placeholder for am GP check. DONE.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Asidepart from its unfortunate weaknesses to Water and Ground, Golem is a pretty decent Pokemon. It Thits hard and has the bulk to take a few, and this is what this set capitalizes on. Iset capitalizes on Golem's capability to hit hard and take blows from the opponent's Pokemon. However, it's not the best in the worldtier and is partially outclassed by Rhydon, also having. Golem suffers from pitiful Defense and abysmal Speed, but regardless Golem gets the job done. Earthquake is the first STAB move of choice, boasting solid power and great neutral coverage. Rock Slide is also STAB and has great coverage with Earthquake, hittingreceives a STAB and hits Salamence, Gyarados, Dragonite and othe liker Flying-types hard. Additionally, it has a flinch chanceRock Slide has a probability to flinch, which is useful for countering Snorlax and Forretress. Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol. Hidden Power Rock is an option over Rock Slide for its 100%perfect accuracy, but the lack of a flinch chancepossibility makes it inferior to Rock Slide, not to mention that it. Using Hidden Power Rock also prevents the use of Hidden Power Bug on this moveset. Speaking of Hidden Power Bug, it provides crucial coverage on Celebi, who could otherwise switch in without fear impunity. Double-Edge is another possible choice, having decent coverage and a lack of recoil thanks to Golem's ability: Rock Head. Double-Edge is generally the safest move to go for in any givenmost scenarios, as it doesn't risk Salamence or Gyarados switching in with impunitycan severely hurt Salamence or Gyarados while switching in, unlike Earthquake. The last moveslot is occupied by Explosion, which allows Golem to KO any given Pokemon that does not possess a Ghost-typing and gives it a way to actually do any sort of damage to. It also gives Golem a way to actually do some damage to bulky Pokemon such as Skarmory and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Golem can survive an Earthquake from Choice Band Salamence or one from +1 Tyranitar and. Golem can even outspeeds Blissey and Swampert, two Pokemon that are fairly important to outspeed. The remaining EVs are invested into Attack and supplemented by an Adamant nature for the highest possiblemaximum damage output.</p>

<p>As far as support goes, Golem definitely needs it. It can't do much damage to bulky Water-types, such as Swampert and Milotic, so Celebi is a great partner, also havings it has excellent type synergy with Golem. Zapdos is another option to beat bulky Water-types and survive long enough to dish out enough damage. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-insd it has an immunity to Golem's Ground-type weakness, which Celebi lacks. Do note that Golem can damage bulky Water-types if it gets a chance to hit them multiple times, but the issue is just that&mdash;Golem probably won't survive long enough to defeat them. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-ins, so Skarmory and Forretress make great partners. Skarmory can switch in on just about every attack that threatens Golem, which is useful in and of itselfa hugely useful quality. Rapid Spin support from Forretress or Cloyster is recommended to prevent Golem from being worn down by Spikes, which is important because of how easily it is worn down even without themSpikes set-up on the field. In a similar vein, Wish support is helpful, dealing with the other forms of residual damage that Golem is affelicted by, such as status conditions and Leech Seed;. Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices for Wish passing. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem, as Golem cannot do much damage to Skarmory and Skarmory can set up the Spikes is dreads right in its face. For this reason, Pokemon like Metagross with Hidden Power Fire or Thunderbolt, Fire Blast Snorlax, Hydro Pump Swampert, Choice Band Aerodactyl, Choice Band Tyranitar, Fire Blast Salamence, andor any Choice Band Fighting-type is recommended to take on Skarmory. The support that Golem requires is fairly heavy, as you can see, but it can work to decent effect if you give it the support it desires.</p>

If I must say, I recommend that you review your sentences a few times before submitting it for checks. There were some parts that seemed kinda hard to understand. I'm sure you'll learn from your mistakes though :)

Jukain

!_!
alright, i'll get the easy one out of the way first. melvni, i implemented everything in your check. good job, thanks.

shortstheory, i hate to say this, but your check wasn't so great. i implemented some of your changes, but it looked like... it looked like you were making some changes just to make changes. thanks regardless, but, look over your changes before you make them a bit more. oh, and you should probably have waited for me to get to melvni's check before you posted.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Apart from its unfortunate weaknesses to Water and Ground, Golem is a pretty decent Pokemon. This set capitalizes on Golem's capability to hit hard and take blows from the opponent's Pokemon with relative ease. It's not the best Pokemon in the world, being partially outclassed by Rhydon and having pitiful Special Defense and abysmal Speed, but regardless Golem can get the job done regardless. Earthquake is the first STAB move of choice, boasting solid power and great neutral coverage. Rock Slide is alsoserves as Golem's secondary STAB and has great coverage with Earthquake, hitting Salamence, Gyarados, and the like hard. Additionally, it has a 30% chance ofto flinch, which is useful for defeating Snorlax and Forretress. Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol. Hidden Power Rock is an option over Rock Slide for its 100% accuracy, but the lack of a flinch chance makes it inferior to Rock Slide, not to mention that using it prevents the use of Hidden Power Bug. Speaking of Hidden Power Bug, it provides crucial coverage on Celebi, who could otherwise switch in with impunity. Double-Edge is another possible choice, havboasting decent coverage and a lack of recoil thanks to Rock Head. Double-Edge is generally the safest move to go for in most scenarios, as it prevents Salamence or Gyarados from switching in unscathed, unlike Earthquake. The last moveslot is occupied by Explosion, which allowenables Golem to KO most Pokemon that does not possess a Ghost typing and gives it a way to actually do some damage to Skarmory and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>With the given EVs, Golem can survive an Earthquake from Choice Band Salamence or +1 Tyranitar and outspeed Blissey and Swampert. The remaining EVs are invested in Attack and supplemented by an Adamant nature for maximum damage output.</p>

Not too sure about this extraordinarily short paragraph...

<p>As far as support goes, Golem definitely needs itGolem needs a lot of support from its teammates to function effectively. It can't do much damage to bulky Water-types, such as Swampert and Milotic, so Celebi is a great partner, as it has excellent type synergy with Golem. Zapdos is another option to beat bulky Water-types and has an immunity to Golem's Ground-type weakness, which Celebi lacks. Do note that Golem can damage bulky Water-types if it gets a chance to hit them multiple times, but the issue is just that&mdash;Golem probably won't survive long enough to defeat themit won't be able to survive the turns it needs to do so. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-ins, so Skarmory and Forretress make great partners. Skarmory can switch in on just about every attack that threatens Golem, which is very useful. Rapid Spin support from Forretress or Cloyster is recommended to prevent Golem from being worn down by Spikes, which is important because of how easily it is worn down even without them on the field. In a similar vein, Wish support is helpful, dealing with the other forms of residual damage that Golem is affected by, such as status conditions and Leech Seed. Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices for Wish passing. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem, as Golem cannot do much damage to Skarmory and Skarmoryreplenishing the HP Golem loses to residual damage such as status conditions and Leech Seed. Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices for Wish passing as they are both very bulky and can take on Celebi and the bulky Water-types that give Golem trouble, Blissey in particular. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem as it can set up the Spikes itGolem dreads right in its face. For this reason, Pokemon likesuch as Metagross with Hidden Power Fire or ThunderPunch, Fire Blast Snorlax, Hydro Pump Swampert, Choice Band Aerodactyl, Choice Band Tyranitar, Fire Blast Salamence, or a Choice Band Fighting-type is recommended to take on Skarmory. The support that Golem requires is fairly heavysubtantial, as you can see, but it can work to decent effect if you give it the support it desires.</p>
[gp]1/2[/gp]

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
amcheck

yeah done

DeleteAdd

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Apart from its unfortunate weaknesses to Water and Ground, Golem is a pretty decent Pokemon. This set capitalizes on Golem's ability to hit hard and take blows from the opponent's Pokemon with relative ease. It's not the best Pokemon in the world, being partially outclassed by Rhydon and having pitiful Special Defense and abysmal Speed, but Golem can get the job done regardless. Earthquake is the first STAB move of choice, boasting solid power and great neutral coverage. Rock Slide serves as Golem's secondary STAB and has great coverage with Earthquake, hitting Salamence, Gyarados, and the like, hard. Additionally, it has a 30% chance to flinch, which is useful for defeating Snorlax and Forretress. Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol. Hidden Power Rock is an option over Rock Slide for its 100% accuracy, but the lack of a flinch chance makes it inferior to Rock Slide, not to mention that using it prevents the use of Hidden Power Bug. Speaking of Hidden Power Bug, it provides crucial coverage on Celebi, who could otherwise switch in with impunity. Double-Edge is another possible choice, boasting decent coverage and a lack of recoil thanks to Rock Head. Double-Edge is generally the safest move to go for in most scenarios as it prevents Salamence or Gyarados from switching in unscathed, unlike Earthquake. The last moveslot is occupied by Explosion, which enables Golem to KO most Pokemon that do not possess a Ghost typing and gives it a way to actually do some damage to Skarmory and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Golem needs a lot of support from its teammates to function effectively. It can't do much damage to bulky Water-types, such as Swampert and Milotic, so Celebi is a great partner, as it has excellent type synergy with Golem. Zapdos is another option to beat bulky Water-types and has an immunity to Golem's Ground-type weakness, which Celebi lacks. Do note that Golem can damage bulky Water-types if it gets a chance to hit them multiple times, but it won't be able to survive the turns it needs to do so. Spikes support is helpful to wear down Golem's switch-ins, so Skarmory and Forretress make great partners. Skarmory can switch in on just about every attack that threatens Golem, which is very useful. Rapid Spin support from Forretress or Cloyster is recommended to prevent Golem from being worn down by Spikes, which is important because of how easily it is worn down without them. In a similar vein, Wish support is helpful, replenishing the HP Golem loses to residual damage such as status conditions and Leech Seed. Blissey and Jirachi are the best choices for Wish passing as they are both very bulky and can take on Celebi and the bulky Water-types that give Golem trouble,; (semi) Blissey in particular is well suited for this role. Lastly, Skarmory is a massive pain for Golem as it can set up the Spikes Golem dreads right in its face. For this reason, Pokemon such as Metagross with Hidden Power Fire or ThunderPunch, Fire Blast Snorlax, Hydro Pump Swampert, Choice Band Aerodactyl, Choice Band Tyranitar, Fire Blast Salamence, or a Choice Band Fighting-type is recommended to take on Skarmory. The support that Golem requires is fairly substantial, as you can see, but it can work to decent effect if you give it the support it desires.</p>

Jukain

!_!
hi redew, thanks for the check. i made the second change but not the first, i just disagreed with it. i feel like the writing "flows" better with the way it is now, if you catch my drift

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Golem's two STABs form the QuakeSlide combination, which has, at the very least, neutral coverage on pretty much everything not named Claydol.
Should add Flygon here. Probably Breloom as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)