Offensive Hail Team!

OK so I've never tried out weather and i wanted to try one of the ones that doesn't see as much use as the others so i thought i would attempt an offensive hail team.

First off my weather starter of choice:

Abomasnow @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 Atk / 156 SAtk / 100 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Ice Shard
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Well first off i think this set is perfect for an offensive hail team and should definitely be considered when making one. This set hits and OHKO's (if not it definitely knocks the crap out of them) opposing weather inducers although Ninetales has to be hit on the switch. Hidden Power Fire also hits Pokemon like Forretress and Ferrothorn pretty hard, while Ice Shard can OHKO or revenge dragons pretty reliably. The given EVs allow Abomasnow to hit as hard as possible while still out speeding Pokemon like Politoed and Tyranitar (although he still has to watch out for the scarfed variants). All in all this is a great offensive Abomasnow set.

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Overheat

Heatran is a monster in hail and is also a very reliable revenge killer as well netting KOs on dragon Pokemon and opposing Heatran and grass types. Heatran is also my main defense against sun teams and can reliably switch into Ninetales (unless it's carrying HP Ground) and revenge it. Earth Power also knocks the crap out of Terrakion on the switch and in general but spells trouble if i leave Heatran in against a scarfed set because Terrakion will surely out speed and OHKO.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Protect

OK a pokemon that could reliably tank hits from Terrakion and stop him dead in his tracks (unless he uses a rock gem boosted Stone Edge or gets lucky with a critical hit). Gliscor can take anything Terrakion can throw at him and threaten back with STAB Earthquake. Gliscor can also takke on Pokemon like Blissey by inflicting them with Toxic. Taunt shuts down opposing Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Forretress and many others. Protect scouts while giving him extra health. Poison Heal is also a Godsend for Gliscor on a hail team since he not only beaks even but gets just as much health as he would from Leftovers.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Focus Blast

So i decided to go with Reuniclus because he is an excellent set up sweeper for hail teams. with Magic Guard he takes no residual damage from hail while being able to stall out and set up calm minds and sweep. Reuniclus has nice coverage between Psychic and Focus Blast and nails Pokemon that would normally wall Reuniclus such as Ferrothorn and Blissey/Chansey. And best of all nails Terrakion.

Kyurem-Black @ Leftovers
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SAtk / 192 Spd
Lonely Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Fusion Bolt
- Blizzard

OK so this is my main hail sweeper. I have him running a mixed set with Blizzrd instead of Ice Beam which allows me to put more EVs into Atk because of Blizzard having much more raw power than Ice Beam does. Not to mention with Blizzard and Fusion Bolt working together they form quite an effective BoltBeam combo with Dragon Claw to boot. Kyurem is an Excellent hail sweeper and knocks the crap out of this devastating combo. Not to mention i can bring him in on a Pokemon he threatens and force it out to get a substitute up.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

OK so this is a hail team so obviously i need a spinner to rid the field of entry hazards or my Ice types will suffer horribly bad and lessen their chances to switch in. I felt Tentacruel would be a great spinner for the team and a great counter to Rain teams as well. He runs an excellent SubToxic set and is definitely a valuable member of the team dealing with pesky entry hazards through spinning and absorbing Toxic Spikes. He also deals with Terrakion pretty well too.

Well this is my attempt at a weather team! Hope you guys enjoy my long drawn out RMT. X) And thanks so much in advance for your help!

Hi there,

This is a very interesting hail team you got here, I actually have one similar with Sub Kyurem-B + Tentacruel and I can definitely attest to Kyurem-B's effectiveness. Anyway, the first thing I noticed was the apparent Mamoswine weakness. Heatran loses to it one on one thanks to Thick Fat, while Abomasnow, Gliscor and Tentacruel are mauled by Mamoswine's STAB options. Superpower variants leave a huge dent in Kyurem-B, while Reuniclus can't switch in if it has taken prior damage. An easy fix would be to change Tentacruel's EV spread slightly -- an EV spread of 216 HP / 196 Def / 96 Spe would work much better, as you can now outspeed Mamoswine while still retaining a lot of bulk meaning you can remove Mamoswine before it starts hitting stuff hard. The loss of bulk really isn't notable, given that you already have Reuniclus and Gliscor for insurance.

When I was using Substitute Kyurem-B, I definitely found it to be most effective when using hazards. I think it's quite strange you're not using Stealth Rock as a couple of your team members can make good use of it. The easiest change would be to drop one of Gliscor's moves for Stealth Rock, the choice is up to you. Alternatively you could change Heatran over to a Specially Defensive set and make Abomasnow Choice Scarfed, which gives you a much more durable Special Wall, a better answer for Dragons as well as retaining a Choice Scarf Pokemon, just something to consider.

Also talking about hazards, Kyurem-B really appreciates Toxic Spikes, arguably more than Stealth Rock. With Toxic Spikes up, combined with Kyurem's great coverage moves it can break through Stall very easily which does seem to be a problem for your team. I'd suggest trying out Toxic Spikes over Substitute on Tentacruel. Toxic and Toxic Spikes may sound weird on the same set but it really does work, as you can still beat Levitate users such as Latias while you stop things such as Blissey and Celebi continually switching in for free. If you do go with this change, it might be a better idea to try out Dragon Tail over Dragon Claw on Kyurem, given that Dragon Tail + Stealth Rock + Toxic Spikes really does cause troubles for all archetypes of teams.

If you don't want to go with these change(s), then you still might have some troubles against more defensively inclined teams. I'd strongly advocate the use of Psyshock > Psychic on Reuniclus so you can reliably beat common Reuniclus counters such as Chansey and Blissey, who otherwise wall your current set and a large majority of your team.

Good luck!

Hi there onlyinAMERICA(hahah nice name),

Interesting to see a hail team. Kyurem-B is one of the best utilizers of hail so glad to see you are using him. This team has a couple flaws, but hey what hail team doesn't?

When I finished reading the team and was the last member Tentacruel, I could see the rain teams of almost any play style give you trouble. I can see that you acknowledge that by adding Tentacruel to your team. Tentacruel doesn't have very good synergy with your team. Another pattern I see is you make sure your team can handle Terrakion. In respecting this I find that some Pokemon can help you your team more than Tentacruel. You may consider putting Gengar over Tentacuel. It can be be an effective spinblocker and still be a counter to Terrakion. If you choose to go for Gengar, I reccomend this set;

Gengar@leftovers
Timid
4 HP/252 SpAtk/252 Spe
-Substitute
-Disable
-Focus Blast
-Shadow Ball/ Thunderbolt

You may want to use to thunderbolt in better checking teams. You will also catch some off guard because not many people would expect Thunderbolt on a SubDisable set.

If Gengar isn't in your taste the next viable option is Starmine. Starmine would offer better coverage, speed, and rain checking to your team. Here is a set you may want to use;
Starmine@Leftovers
Timid
252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
-Thunderbolt
-Rapid Spin
-Hydro Pump
-psychic/psyshock

This team can still be improved but its off to a good start. You may also want to note the end of the Terrakion analysis.

Ironically, Terrakion's best counters litter the lower tiers, with examples being Golurk, Nidoqueen, Claydol, and Tangrowth. If you're feeling desperate, then one of these is your best bet.
Golurk can act as a spinblocker, but has severe trouble with rain teams.
Claydol is a good counter as well, but weak to rain.
I reccomend however Tangrowth, not only is it a good counter to Terrakion but can threaten some rain team members. Though it should be noted his special defense is below par and that is a big threat to have when dealing with OU.

Best of luck and keep improving your team.

Hi, cool hail team you have here. The biggest threats to your team are Swords Dance Breloom and Trick Room Reuniclus. Swords Dance Breloom can set up on your Heatran locked into Earth Power and advance to 6-0 your whole team. Trick Room Reuniclus is also a problem since it can set up Trick Room on your own Reuniclus, Tentacruel, and even on Abomasnow and Heatran comfortably. Reuniclus progresses to shred through your team, OHKOing Tentacruel with Psychic; Heatran, Abomasnow, and Kyurem-B with Focus Blast. It will have to settle to 2HKOs on Gliscor and Reuniclus, but they cannot even hit back hard with anything, causing it to truly be dangerous to your team. I suggest running a Choice Band Scizor on your team. I feel Gliscor is the weakest link and not really even necessary. Terrakion is handled well by both Tentacruel and Reuniclus and if that isn't enough, Scizor easily checks it. Tentacruel is a good physical wall anyways. Scizor fits into your team well due to the offensive nature and Scizor provides you with a hard physical hitter. Another reason to put Scizor in is to handle the two threats mentioned. Scizor can survive a +2 Mach Punch from Breloom when at full health and OHKO back with Superpower. It can also take any of Reuniclus's attacks and obliterate it with STAB U-Turn. Scizor also provides you with another priority user, with the ever so deadly STAB Bullet Punch, letting you revenge many things. Scizor is also an efficient scouter with access to U-Turn and is able to trap Pokemon such as the Lati twins and Starmie which boosts your Reuniclus's sweeping capabilities and facilitates it's role. For smaller suggestions, you can definitely try out Outrage over Dragon Claw on Kyurem-B for the added power, however you will be locked into it, which is a negative. My final recommendation is to use a Timid Nature instead of a Modest Nature on Heatran. This is to maximize your revenge killing abilities and definitely makes a difference. For example, with a Timid Nature you are able to outpace Adamant 252 Speed Dragonite, which is the most common. Other than that, I think it's a solid team.

Hope I helped and here is Banded Scizor.

Set:

Scizor @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)