Lovely Lumps - 5 Reasons Why You Should Use Seismitoad

Brambane

protect the wetlands
is a Contributor Alumnus

Samurott, Carracosta and Ludicolo are good Water-types.

If you like SCHNITZEL.

Seismitoad is awesome. Not like getting an extra bag of potato chips from the vending machine awesome. More like getting an extra bag of gold nuggets, kittens and bacon from the vending machine. Seismitoad is all kinds of kickass. This is the kind of Pokemon CAP tries to make its so good. And yet...

| 38 | Seismitoad | 5.27876% | 5966 | 4.672% | 5195 | 4.977% |

What. The. Hell.

Are you telling me that ELECTRODE is getting more usage than this guy? What kind of heresy is this? Seismitoad is top ten material. Don't believe me? Oh, you will. Presenting:

5 Reasons Why You Should Use Seismitoad

1. Seismitoad's fantastic typing: Seismitoad's typing is a-mazing. It has one weakness, Grass, which it can easily play to its advantage. Partner it up with Sawsbuck and you got a core that will kick more ass than Hitmonlee at a donkey ranch. Seismitoad also resists Fire, Rock, Poison and is immune to Electric. That's right, this mofo can switch in on Thunder Wave and smack whatever poor Musharna that thinks it can paralyze your team. It also resists Stealth Rock, which is awesome. Seismitoad also gets STAB on two fan-diddly-tastic attacking types.

2. Two great abilities: Water Absorb and Swift Swim: If an immunity to Electric wasn't enough, Seismitoad also gets an immunity to Water-type attacks! Furthermore, switching in on Hydro Pump recovers 25% of Seismitoad's HP! Combined with its Rock and Electric resistance, Seismitoad is the perfect cover for Charizard, who is one of the most powerful Pokemon in NU. If Water Absorb doesn't suit your fancy, then maybe try Swift Swim. With the likes of Ludicolo and Gorebyss, rain is pretty strong. Seismitoad provides a much appreciated Electric-immunity for rain teams.

3. Stealth Rock: The best move in the game, bar none. And Seismitoad is an excellent choice to use Stealth Rock, as it can easily beat other common Stealth Rock leads like Armaldo, Golem, Piloswine and Golurk. That means that Seismitoad can not only get SR up early on, but also potentially take out one of your opponents Pokemon. And with its great bulk and typing, Seismitoad can easily set up Stealth Rock midgame if need be.

4. Excellent HP stat: Seismitoad's middling defenses are offset by a great base 105 HP. This allows Seismitoad to get the bulk needed to take advantage of its great defensive typing. It also comes with a few other benefits, like being able to make 101 Substitutes. With Leftovers, Drain Punch and Water Absorb, Seismitoad has a number of ways to keep its health up.

5. Great offensive movepool: While Seismitoad being unable to learn Waterfall and Ice Beam remains a mystery, Seismitoad has a myriad of other options. It has Hydro Pump, Surf, Earthquake, Scald and Earth Power for STAB. But that's not all! Seismitoad's coverage moves include: Ice Punch, Sludge Wave, Focus Blast, Grass Knot, Drain Punch, Hyper Voice, Low Kick and Rock Slide. That means that Pokemon like Roselia or Mantine who think they can come in on Seismitoad no problem better thing twice. And if you like more supportive options, Toxic and Knock Off will be sure to disrupt your opponent.

There's 5 reasons why you should use Seismitoad. There are more, but those are the main ones.

What are your experiences with Seismitoad? Share your sets and strategies, and if you think Seismitoad is terrible, then you are WRONG.

HAIL THE TOAD.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic / Sludge Wave
- Substitute / Stealth Rock

This is easily one of the most successful sets Seismitoad can run right now. It sets up easily on defensive Water-types, Electric-types, and can scare out many of the Rock and Steel types in the tier, thanks to its great typing. Only Vileplume, Roselia, and Lum Berry Exeggutor can avoid taking a huge amount from one of Seismitoad's attacks or a crippling Toxic. Its nice speed tier allows it to outpace relevant threats such as Adamant Sawk, Samurott, and Skuntank.

Sludge Wave is an option to be able to 2HKO offensive Ludicolo, which is one of the best answers to this set. However, it is extremely situational and is generally inferior to Toxic, which can cripple a variety of walls, including Alomomola and Tangela. If your team lacks Stealth Rock, Seismitoad can make good user of it too, due to its ability to grab many free turns throughout the match.

Credit to MMF and Zeb for being the first ones to use Substitute Seismitoad! and me for suggesting toxic

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Hp / 252 Spd / 4 Spa
Calm Nature

- Toxic / Knock Off
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock / Substitute

This is my take on a more defensive Seismitoad. With great defenses and only one big weakness, Seismitoad can easily switch in on special attacks and either cripple walls with Toxic or ruin threats like Rotom by knocking off their Choice item. Scald is a good STAB move with a chance to burn the opponent, effectively crippling a physical threat that would normally have a hard time hurting Seismitoad, especially leads like Golem and Golurk. Earth Power is secondary STAB that gives Seismitoad coverage that everything else that Scald doesn't, sans Parasect, but no one uses it. Stealth Rock is for utility purposes and is great for this set, since it scares out most utility leads anyway. If you have a Stealth Rocker, then you could use Substitute to keep yourself clean of burns or poisoning. I personally like Toxic over Kock off here since it let's you hit common switch ins to Seismitoad like Ludicolo and Sawsbuck, but if you have an answer to them, such as the before mentioned Sawsbuck, Knock off is also an option. I still think this set is inferior to the one above, but I have used this one recently with Charizard and I've seen some success with it. I do think it could use some tweaking though. Overall, I think Seismitoad is a fantastic poke with a lot of potential.

cb aaron judge

ALL RISE
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus

Seismitoad @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Rain Dance

This Seismitoad is meant to sweep in rain, hence the presence of SS and Rain Dance. One could use Damp Rock to extend the duration of rain, but that is best left to other mons or more defensive variants of Seismitoad. I used this in RU about 2 months ago, and it was a legitimately threatening mon there, so I can only assume it is more dangerous in its home tier. Unfortunately, it is outsped and OHKOed by Ludicolo, the most common standalone rain abuser in NU, while Seismi can't OHKO back with Sludge Wave.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
While I agree that Seismitoad is a solid choice for a Pokemon with a couple of great sets, what has been outlined above it really about all it can do. Unfortunately, a physical set is not the most viable as it has no physical Water type moves at its disposal, despite having some other nice physical moves such as Drain Punch, Ice Punch, and Earthquake.

Probably one of the few things not listed that it can also do is set up rain for the rest of the team, taking on more of a support role than an offensive one. A set consisting of the following may be useful.

Seismitoad @ Damp Rock
Trait: Swift Swim/Water Absorb
252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe or 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature / Calm Nature

-Stealth Rock
-Rain Dance
-Scald
-Earth Power/Sludge Wave

Basically, the point of this set is to get up rocks (if, looking at team preview, rocks are going to help you sweep with other SS abusers), set up the rain, and gtfo. Of course, you can also utilize Seismitoad's respectable speed stat and stay in to throw some punches. Your choice of Earth Power or Sludge Wave depends upon what you need more for your team. If you struggle against bulkier grass types and need to get off some solid damage while sacrificing Seismitoad for a free switch into a sweeper, you can run Sludge Wave. Be advised, however, that some of the grass types in the tier that feel more comfortable switching into Seismitoad are also part Poison typing, so Earth Power may fit the bill better anyways.

The choice in EV spread and nature is up to you as well. If you want Seismitoad to be more guaranteed to set up rain, a speedy set may be more suited for you. However, you can also run a defensive set for more staying power. The bulkier set will probably prefer Water Absorb as it has no other form of recovery due to Damp Rock while the faster set cares more about getting things done, and getting them done quickly. On that set, I would probably recommend running swift swim.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Now, seismitoad is a brilliant pokemon in NU, no one is denying that.
But usage does not show how good it is in a meta-game, how versatile maybe, which is my point.
Seismitoad isn't exactly an every-use pokemon, it doesn't have opposite ways it can be used, such as something like eggy, all-out offense or stall. Seismitoad is either SR offense, or general offense; the problem now is that not every team can use him. I admit, seismitoad would be very good to use on a team... now who to replace? I currently have 2 sun teams, do I really want a seismitoad on that? What about my other NU team, having exactly anything Seismitoad can do. Like sandslash in RU, it can run an offensive set or it can run a utility set, the problem is that other pokemon in NU do both effectively at the same time (golem).

I love Seismitoad, but I've never used it on my team. However, my sixth slot is undclecieed, and I've tried numerous water types, such as samurott, basculin, and bibarel, which is the winner right now with curse and STAB quick attack. But I think I'll give Seismitoad a try. Ill try anything to counter fire types right now.

Actually, I believe he showed statistics because he was shocked by the usage of Toad, which is quite low if you ask me. I used Seismitoad in some teams, and I must say, it's quite a good Pokemon. From Rain Dance sweeper to Stealth Rock setter, it can do a lot of thing. I also like using the Substitute set, because it allows Toad to beat it's normal switch-ins with Sludge Wave, such as Sawsbuck, or any other Grass-type. Good partners for it would be stuff that can beat Vileplume, as it's neutral to everything on Substitute Toad's attacks, including Toxic if you opt for it.

I've battled multiple times with Seismitoad in my team, and I must say it was never a loss in my team. I have changed it for Mantine because it suits my team better, but if Seismitoad fits in your team, you should definitly give it a try.

As JirachiCelebiMew said, it's an awesome pokemon with lots of sets, that can still surprise most players if you play it well. I like to use it for it's immunity against electric and it's base power. I have seen it being used in many different sets, so it's a shame it isn't being used more :(

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Lol, this thread is great (luvdisc'd <3) I haven't used Seismitoad often, to be honest. It's not that I don't like it ^^; I just never had a place for it. I'll definitely add it to my next team.

I'm agree with Dracoyoshi8 and who appreciates the Seismitoad's quality. The five reasons posted are easily verified, especially in the version Swift Swim (on a rain team of course) where the innate immunity against electric may be crucial. For great offensive movepool above mentioned, I prefer to use its excellent moves and insert Rain Dance in its teammates.

Like This:

Seismitoad (M) @ Life Orb Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SAtk / 160 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock

Away from Ludicolo and Roselia and predict HP Grass, you can be really satisfied about it.

why not a set with Poison Touch and Drain Punch when he hits it has a chance of poisoning the opponent and heals himself so you can drain hp fast

OK, so I'm reposting the set I put on the other thread(now closed)

Seismitoad@ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Surf
- Venoshock
- Earth Power
This set can actually do a lot. Steel types are killed by Earth Power, while Surf is another good stab. After Toxic, Venoshock does staggering damage against unsuspecting Grass types like Sawsbuck who, expecting a panicked switch are first hit with Toxic, then OHKOed with Venoshock.

Seismitoad@ Life Orb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Spd
Modest Nature
- Toxic
- Surf
- Venoshock
- Earth Power
This set can actually do a lot. Steel types are killed by Earth Power, while Surf is another good stab. After Toxic, Venoshock does staggering damage against unsuspecting Grass types like Sawsbuck who, expecting a panicked switch are first hit with Toxic, then OHKOed with Venoshock.
What's the Sawsbuck doing during all of this? If the answer is setting up a sub or just attacking, this set doesn't fair any better against it than any other Seismitoad. I suppose you could catch them using Swords Dance, but that seems like a silly thing to risk your seismitoad on.

LOL
Anyways, I assumed SD but yeah, if opponent didn't figure you'd switch and just went for Horn Leech...
Venoshock does hit hard after Toxic though and the point is to prevent grass-types setting up on toad without any consequence(for them) which is what USUALLY happens.

While experimenting, i found that Buffy's Physically defensive Seismitoad is pretty decent, the extra defense allows it to take less hits from the other stealth rock leads that is demolishes, and you can also take on scolipede safely, and scald further bolsters your defense.

Seismitoad@ Leftovers
Ability:Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature
-Scald
-Earth Power
-Stealth Rock
-Knock Off/Toxic

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I feel like on defensive sets, you're a lot better off going with a -spe nature (or even -atk if you don't mind the not guaranteed chance at a KO of Jynx after SR) and using Earthquake. It doesn't matter as much for offensive LO sets, because you need a reliable STAB attack alongside Hydro Pump and instead of splitting EVs, Earth Power is fine.

Calcs:

0SpAtk Seismitoad (Neutral) Earth Power vs 4HP/0SpDef Dry Skin Jynx (Neutral): 32% - 38% (88 - 105 HP). Guaranteed 4HKO.

0Atk Seismitoad (Neutral) Earthquake vs 4HP/0Def Dry Skin Jynx (Neutral): 77% - 90% (210 - 247 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. - OHKO with SR

0Atk Seismitoad (-Atk) Earthquake vs 4HP/0Def Dry Skin Jynx (Neutral): 68% - 81% (187 - 222 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO. - about a 50% chance at an OHKO after SR

252SpAtk Life Orb Seismitoad (+SAtk) Earth Power vs 4HP/0SpDef Dry Skin Jynx (Neutral): 60% - 71% (165 - 195 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

This is a set I've used in OU, pretty effective.

Seismitoad@ leftovers
Relaxed
252 HP/252 Def/4 SPD
Water Absorb
-Scald
-Icy Wind
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

This guy is REALLY awesome utility. He gives me entry hazards, possible burns, speed control, AND water and electric immunity?! With Icy Wind, I can stop scarf moxie mence, ddance dnite, and other setup sweepers.

I like that idea, but I may change the EVs to 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD with a Sassy nature to "balance" the defenses better, since Seismitoad can burn opponents with Scald.

Also, are there any opinions on using a Choice Band or Choice Specs Seismitoad? I haven't seen any of those sets posted here yet.

There's 5 reasons why you should use Seismitoad. There are more, but those are the main ones.

What are your experiences with Seismitoad? Share your sets and strategies, and if you think Seismitoad is terrible, then you are WRONG.

I gotta be "that guy" but its there are instead of there's. lol but this thread is cool, i recently made seis my lead rocker and he is amazing at it. as you said he beats just about every other rocker. he makes great support and junk.
ive never used him with something to counter his only weakness, grass, but i feel like a physically defensive miltank with sap sipper would make an amazing core with specially defensive toad.​

Using Seismitoad a bit, I have to say that for support sets, I'm strongly preferring Grass Knot over Sludge Wave. Seismitoad shouldn't be staying in on Grass types anyway, and with Water Absorb he can make for a great pivot against Water types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)