The Pixie and the Jackal: an OU Weatherless team

The Team

Introduction:

I started playing competitive Pokemon just after the fifth generation was released. I used to lurk in Smogon from the late fourth generation, but it was only later that I discovered PO and Shoddy. Either way, although I was a pretty incompetent player and teambuilder back then, I really enjoyed playing competitively as well as trying out various teams. Although I primarily play Ubers, I've been playing OU, RU, UU and LC (although in my opinion, Ubers is more enjoyable than all of these, but I digress). Either way, I had been using a Deoxys-D HO team and a Rain team as my two primary OU teams before and during the Suspect Testing. However, after both Deoxys-D and Tornadus-T were banned, I decided not to run Spikes stacking offense / hyper offense or weather-centric teams - instead I decided to build a balanced / offensive weatherless team around Celebi and Lucario. So, after some experimenting, I came up with this team and I've been enjoying playing with this a lot. Without further ado, here's the team in detail:

Team Members

NOTE: Color indicating testing Color indicating going to change Color indicating changed Color indicating previous move / item

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
IVs: 0 Atk
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Perish Song / Calm Mind

The first team member is my MVP - Celebi. Celebi is an incredible Pokemon in the current metagame. If you look at the S - Tier threats in the OU Viability Rankings, you'll see that Celebi walls 3 out of 4 - Politoed, Landorus (barring U-turn) and Keldeo and can switch in to the others' strongest move (Terrakion's Close Combat). Celebi also walls Thundurus-T and Breloom, both dangerous sweepers in the tier. The EVs are quite standard, although I do tend to run some extra Speed EVs sometimes. Baton Pass is chosen over U-turn to avoid getting Pursuit trapped by Tyranitar, but it doesn't really synergize well with Perish Song. But Perish Song is honestly too great to pass up on, as it allows me to defeat several stat boosters such as Latias, Jirachi and Keldeo. The damage output is sometimes low, but you can't expect a Pokemon to wall half the tier and 2HKO all of them at the same time.

Heatran @ Leftovers / Air Balloon
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute / Dragon Pulse

Everyone who has been playing competitive Pokemon knows that Heatran forms an excellent core with Celebi. I'm using Specially Defensive Celebi; therefore, I chose offensive Heatran. Heatran defeats most Sun teams single handedly, although the ubiquitous Dugtrio in such teams gives it trouble. That is where Substitute comes into play; there's little Dugtrio can do to a Heatran behind a Sub without dying itself. Substitute also helps Heatran abuse its wonderful resistances and avoid annoying status like paralysis and sleep. The moves are self-explanatory - Fire Blast is Heatran's best STAB option, Hidden Power [Ice] hits dragons which resist Fire Blast while Earth Power provides good coverage versus Rock and Water types. The predominance of Drizzle hurts Heatran a lot, but versus weatherless or Sun teams, Heatran truly shines. Timid is chosen over Modest because it outspeeds Adamant Dragonite, Mamoswine and speed ties with other Heatran.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 234 HP / 200 Def / 76 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-T is one of my favorite Pokemon from Black/White 2. When Black/White 2 was released, I used a Rain team which was slightly Terrakion weak, so I decided to use this gem of a Pokemon in that team and realized how good it was. With an excellent typing for being a physical tank and a great ability, Landorus-T can check Terrakion, Conkeldurr, Lucario lacking Ice Punch and Dragon types like Dragonite and Garchomp. Landorus-T's uninvested Attack is 326 and its Earthquake 2HKOs most frail Pokemon. Stone Edge is very unreliable, so I might switch it to Hidden Power [Ice], although I'm not sure what EVs or Nature to run in that case. Landorus-T is possibly the best Stealth Rock setter in the tier, so it is obvious why it is my Stealth Rock setter. U-turn helps me maintain momentum and forms a Volt Turn core with Rotom-W.

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch / Crunch

Lucario is the primary sweeper for this team. When I started building this team, I realized that it needed a Pokemon which could quickly enliminate Pokemon weakened by VoltTurn and hazards and Lucario was my choice for two reasons - its priority and its (4x) resistance to Stealth Rock. Justified means Pursuit locked Scizor and Tyranitar are setup bait for Luke. I particularly like Baton Passing with Celebi against the former, and getting to +3 and sweeping the opponent, sometimes pulling off sweeps even midgame. Close Combat is the obligatory STAB, OHKOing even Skarmory after Stealth Rock, while +2 ExtremeSpeed deals with most of the frailer Pokemon. Ice Punch allows me to beat Gliscor and Landorus-T, although Crunch is an option to beat Jellicent, which unfortunately is a big threat to my team as the only thing which can 2HKO Jellicent (Mamo) gets 2HKOd back, so I might change Ice Punch.

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick / Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Rotom-W forms a nice classic FWG core with Heatran and Celebi and is able to revenge kill Specs Keldeo, +1 DD Gyarados, SD Garchomp, while maintaining momentum with Volt Switch. Trick helps Rotom cripple its usual counters like Celebi and Ferrothorn, although I might run Thunderbolt to defeat Jellicent. Hidden Power [Ice] allows it to defeat unboosted Dragons and the Genies. Hydro Pump is a powerful, though inaccurate STAB, powered up by the extremely common Rain. Unfortunately, Rotom-W is frail, and not very fast or very powerful and is probably the most replaceable member of my team at the moment. I might start using Keldeo (though I promised not to use it for once for this team), as it still gives me a rain check, but that makes me even more Jellicent weak. :(

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

My other revenge killer, Mamoswine is absolutely incredible. When my Mamoswine is alive, I can let a Salamence set up to +6 if it wishes as Mamo will kill it no matter how much it boosts. A lot of teams in OU are incredibly Mamo-weak as they utilize sweepers such as the aforementioned Mence and Landorus, which easily die to an Ice Shard. Icicle Crash isn't a move I use that much, but it helps killing Landorus-T and Gliscor which underspeed Mamo. Earthquake is Mamo's strongest STAB, and very few Pokemon without a resistance/immunity can switch in to it. Superpower handles Ferrothorn decently and also takes care of weakened Rotom-W on the switch. In a majority of the matches, Mamoswine serves as my revenge killer, while Rotom just Volt Switches for momentum.

Possible changes:
  • Might use Kidogo/Ginganinja's CM set (essentially, CM > Perish Song). Might even run a physically defensive spread with it.
    [*]
    I was considering Choice Specs or Choice Scarf > Leftovers (Substitute becomes Overheat). I might try specially defensive with physically defensive Celebi.
    [*]
    Crunch > Ice Punch is something I'm seriously considering. I tried out Bullet Punch which helps against Gengar and Terrakion.
    [*]
    Possibly changing this altogether to Keldeo (honestly, Keldeo is probably the best Pokemon in the tier now). Might try Thunderbolt or Signal Beam over Trick though.
    [*]
    More speed or attack? HP Ice sounds nice over Stone Edge.​

Conclusion:

As I've said, I really enjoyed making and using this team. While I think it's not too terrible, I'm certain it can be improved. Thank you to everyone for reading this far and coming here to rate my team. This generation is almost at its end, and the fact that weatherless and even stall teams have become viable shows that the metagame is not as unbalanced as it once was. If you like my team or want to use it, leaving a Luvdisc would make me very happy. Also, I'm sorry for the spelling and grammatical mistakes I made. Thanks to Sharoy for his suggestions. Thanks to all those who comment for the rates!

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 236 SDef / 20 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- U-turn
- Perish Song

Heatran (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Superpower

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Ice Punch

Landorus-T (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 236 Def / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Trick

Last edited:
Threatlist

NOTE: Major threat (can 6-0); Threat (can defeat once counters weakened); Not a very important threat.​

S Rank Threats:

• Keldeo - Celebi sets up on it. Expert Belt HP Bug is annoying, but can be played around by revenging with Rotom-W.
  • Landorus - Celebi walls the Rock Polish set unless it has Sludge Wave, but that's obscure. Physical sets are checked by Landorus-T, which can Hidden Power Ice. Mamoswine revenges unless it runs max bulk or something. Rotom-W is a good check.
  • Politoed - Once again, set up bait for Celebi. Rotom-W can revenge it too.
  • Terrakion - CB Terrakion is really scary, but Celebi and Landorus-T can take Close Combats and 2HKO / OHKO it. Rotom-W can revenge CB. Overall, Landorus-T helps beating this.

A Rank Threats:
  • Alakazam - Celebi walls and sets up on this. Mamoswine and Lucario severely damage with their priority attacks.
  • Breloom - Very problematic at times. Landorus-T can lower the attack and sometimes net surprise KOs with HP Ice. Usually Celebi checks it. Mamo can revenge most Breloom.
  • Celebi - Heatran can beat this pretty easily. Otherwise, Mamoswine can revenge kill it.
  • Dragonite - Mamoswine revenges it after Stealth Rock. Otherwise, it's a problem as I have to sac something to kill it. Heatran usually walls it, but boosted Outrages hurt. Landorus-T can reduce its attack and 2HKO it.
  • Ferrothorn - Heatran. Setup bait for Celebi. Lucario kills it, Rotom-W cripples it and even Mamoswine 2HKOs it.
  • Garchomp - Mamoswine can revenge if weakened. Scarf Chomp can be beaten by Landorus-T.
  • Gengar - Slightly difficult to handle, but usually Mamoswine or Rotom can revenge it. Celebi actually can try setting up and passing to Heatran.
  • Heatran - Rotom-W usually beats it. Landorus-T and Mamoswine can beat it with some prediction. If it lacks Earth Power, my Heatran sets up on it.
  • Hippowdon - Pretty easy to beat. Sand is annoying, but Hippo can't do anything to Landorus-T.
  • Jellicent - Quite a problem for my team. If Lucario is at +2, it's dead. Otherwise, I have to play around with Celebi and Rotom-W. Mamoswine can 2HKO it.
  • Jirachi - Heatran again walls this. Landorus-T is immune to Thunder Wave and kills this easily.
  • Kyurem - Blizzard spam is annoying. Can sweep my team unfortunately. This is why I'm considering Keldeo.
    [*]
    Kyurem-B - Read same as Kyurem, but now even more difficult to handle.
  • Landorus-T - Mamoswine checks it all day. My own Landorus-T can beat HP Ice-less counterparts.
  • Latias - Can Calm Mind versus it with Celebi and pass to Heatran. Mamoswine checks it again. Even Luke's ExtremeSpeed hurts.
  • Latios - Same as Latias, except switching in is a bitch. It's more frail though, so that helps.
  • Mamoswine - Rotom-W in general is a great check. Lucario cleanly OHKOs with Close Combat unless it is running Jolly for some reason.
  • Ninetales - Heatran walls it all day.
  • Rotom-W - Celebi walls and sets up on it.
  • Salamence - Mamoswine and Landorus-T, particularly the former for even +6 mence.
  • Scizor - Heatran is a good check. Rotom-W can take Bullet Punches. Landorus-T doesn't mind it much. Even Luke can setup on BP.
  • Skarmory - Heatran.
  • Starmie - Celebi.
  • Tentacruel - It's annoying, but Celebi can setup as much as it wants and KO with Giga Drain.
  • Thundurus-T - Celebi walls this pretty well. Nasty Plot is easily revenged by Mamoswine and Rotom-W.
  • Tyranitar - I can lure it with Celebi and setup with Luke on it. Landorus-T walls in general
  • Venusaur - Mamoswine + Lucario + Heatran. No way it can sweep me.
  • Volcarona - Stealth Rock is helpful to beat it. With HP Ground, a huge problem as it kills everything. Another reason why I'm considering Keldeo.

B Rank Threats:
  • Dugtrio - If it's sash is gone, can't trap Heatran as Substitute. Everything else laughs at it.
  • Forretress - Setup bait for Lucario, Celebi, Heatran.
  • Gliscor - Mamoswine does a ton to even physically defensive Gliscor.
  • Gothitelle - Depends on what it traps. If it's Specs, I can switch in something depending on what move it used. For Scarf, Celebi setup bait.
  • Gyarados - Rotom-W checks it usually. I can predict around with Landorus-T and Celebi.
  • Hydreigon - If it switches in, something is going to die. Apart from that, it can be revenged by Mamo, Rotom etc.
    [*]
    Lucario - Landorus-T can reduce its attack. Very problematic late game though. :(
  • Toxicroak - Landorus-T walls it most of the time.
  • Tornadus - Annoying, but very weak to residual damage. Plus, I can use Mamo to revenge it.

• Amoonguss - Heatran walls it.
  • Abomasnow - Heatran walls it if it lacks Earthquake.
  • Blissey - Luke, Mamoswine etc.
  • Bronzong - Heatran walls it. Rotom can trick it scarf.
  • Chansey - Same as Blissey.
  • Ditto - Let's hope it doesn't come in versus +2 Luke or something. :/
  • Espeon - Celebi sets up. Heatran can also beat it.
  • Feraligatr - Once again, Celebi can defeat it. Rotom-W can revenge too.
  • Haxorus - If it comes in, sometimes is dying, but it's frail, so Mamoswine, Rotom-W should revenge it.
  • Kingdra - Usually Celebi can beat special sets, but physical sets can be annoying due to my lack of Dragon type moves. Priority is my main answer.
  • Magnezone - Trapping Luke and Heatran is equivalent to suicide. Set up bait for... everything.
  • Mew - Too versatile to counter. Depends on the set.
  • Mienshao - Landorus-T walls this if it lacks HP Ice.
  • Reuniclus - Celebi can try CM warring; Luke can Crunch and Mamo can EQ.
  • Sableye - Heatran > Sableye
  • Stoutland - Landorus-T can take a CB Return and then switch to Heatran.
  • Xatu - Celebi sets up on this. Heatran, Mamo, Luke all beat it.

• Roserade - Mamoswine is usually good enough to beat it. Heatran also helps.
  • Weavile - Not getting past Rotom-W usually.
  • Wobbuffet - Depending on what it craps, can be annoying to a liability for the opponent.

Selected C Rank Threats:
  • Azumarill - If locked into a Water type move, Celebi beats it.
  • Chandelure - Scarf Rotom outspeeds and kills. Heatran walls it.
  • Cloyster - Meh, annoying. Another reason why I'm going to try Keldeo.
  • Conkeldurr - Celebi sets up and Lando-T can lower its attack.
  • Darmanitan - Heatran is a risky switch, but can still beat it.
  • Donphan - Celebi setup bait.
  • Empoleon - Rotom-W can beat it.
  • Gastrodon - Celebi
  • Infernape -Infernape, especially Mixed LO with HP Ice can easily 6-0 my team. Rotom-W can check it, but is worn down easily. Keldeo makes beating this easier. Luke can take out <60% Napes though.
  • Jolteon - Celebi if it lacks Signal Beam, otherwise even Mamo checks it.
  • Sharpedo - I hope it likes Luke's ExtremeSpeed. :3
  • Vaporeon - Celebi setup bait. LO Rain is annoying, but really can't beat Celebi even then.
  • Victini - Heatran is a good check. Rotom-W can revenge kill it.
  • Zapdos - Celebi sets up, Mamo walls.
  • Zoroark - Eh, irritating. Usually rely on priority.

Mamo already beats landorus and gliscor.So i would suggest that you use crunch on luke.Moreover,since you have 3 ground resists/immune pokes..you mught wanna consider scarfing heatran to net surprise kos.You can try out offensive SD scizor over Luke with pursuit to bait and get rid of jellicent.
Scizor @life orb
4 hp/252 atk/252 spe
adamant
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite/Superpower
Pursuit
A +2 pursuit ohkoes jellicent.Heatran and Magnezone can be taken care of by your heatran/Mamoswine

EDIT: You can use CM latias over celebi to reliably deal with breloom and infernape.Jellicent still troubles your team though

Celebi checks Breloom more reliably than Latias imho. Honestly, this team was built around Celebi + Luke, so I'm not very keen on changing them too much. Anyway, I'll try out Latias (although that makes me more TTar weak).

252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 141-171 (38.73 - 46.97%) -- 0.39% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Latias: 191-225 (52.47 - 61.81%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Breloom Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 175-207 (43.31 - 51.23%) -- 64.45% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (3 hits) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 132-153 (32.67 - 37.87%) -- 99.95% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)