CAP 2 Smogon "Create a Pokemon" Part Deux: Art Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Current discussion

Yeah, we need art. Currently all we know about our new Pokemon is that it is Ghost/Fighting. The current discussion will help you decide how to go about it because we are in the process of deciding the role of our Pokemon.

At the present, this Pokemon is designated as a completely new Pokemon. However, in case our Pokemon fits an existing Pokemon too perfectly, we will need some evolution designs. I will only except 1 design for each evolution, and it will be done on first come first serve basis.

Also, no spriting, that will come later.

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I'm glad this is up. I've been looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with for quite a while after the typing was confirmed. Think outside the box on this one guys ^_^

KoA

Sorry, I thought anteaters were real
is an Artist
Wait, what if our art contradicts the chosen role? D:

Anywho, still drawing atm. :p

So can we submit as many drawings as we want? Excellent, i've been waiting for this. I'll post stuff as soon as I finish browsing the forums.

Edit: M'kay, here's what I've been working on. Sorry I don't have any sketches right now, I got a little ink happy. I'll re-do some though.

The outlining I did with my Crayola markers (I'm pretty low-tech) and I did the rest with PowerPoint. Imagine a floating eye with fists. One is a boxing glove.

KoA

is an Artist
Well, just outta boredom and because I'm still trying to cook up the ultimate design, I decided to something to keep those Banette evo supporters happy by drawing a sketch of what an evo might look like.

I mixed together a few concepts for this. The first of which being him trying to follow the puppet theme his line has going for it. His design was based off of a puppeteer of sorts.

Some things I want to point out are the strings and wooden cross behind it. Normally these are used for controlling the puppets, but the evo can use it as a weapon or for defending itself. I also made it more humanshape because it was kewl.

I'm still also working on an original design.

Sunday

Looks pretty good in itself but I'd have to advise straying away from anythig that looks like it's on a crucifix...

KoA

is an Artist
Oh lawl, It's arms aren't really tied up, but I prolly shoulda made his arms not stretched out like that.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
And back comes our Dusclops-evo friend...

(click pic for rough rough animated goodness)
The squiggly under the eye is an idea I had of a black belt, which also functions like Banette arms. Obviously capable of many of the punching techniques.

KoA

is an Artist
You know, maybe the robe-ish design on him didn't help him too much either, lol.

Don't worry, I'll fix it up tomorrow in a non-crucified position.

Lorak

*leekspin*
is an Artist Alumnus
You know, maybe the robe-ish design on him didn't help him too much either, lol.

Don't worry, I'll fix it up tomorrow in a non-crucified position.
I must admit, I do like the sleeves. However, they don't lend themselves to being too... efficient for upper-body attacks. Not that a Ghost would be burdened by physical constraints, but still...

KoA

is an Artist
There's actually alot I wanna change about him now. I somehow accidentally made a Jesus pokemon that's blatantly obvious to everyone but me at the time.

Tomorrow will be better. Fact.

i had something like a simple tyrogue style body (but ghostier) with no arms and floating boxing gloves

i have really no talent for this shit but if anyone thinks the concept is cool and wants to tighten it up or add to it please do :3

i was thinking of adding a marionette "cross" little thing at the top but that might be a bit too "banette"?

also next post is really awesome lol

I thought I try out a draft balanced/offensive Ghost/Fighting. I think the idea speaks for itself, but if anyone needs clarification just ask.

Sorry about the poor file quality I only have MSPaint to work with. What do you say?

KoA

is an Artist
I might sound dumb here, but I thought those were sticks of dynamite at first until I noticed they were nun-chucks. :x

I like that idea though.

That banette evo looks really good, just try to avoid anything to to with religion. Maybe spin the "cross" around a bit, I think.... or you could chop them off like they did in Onepiece! =p

Sunday

This thread just went from "interesting" to "hilarious" in a matter of Minutes...

There's actually alot I wanna change about him now. I somehow accidentally made a Jesus pokemon that's blatantly obvious to everyone but me at the time.
When I said "Think outside the box" I didn't mean that outside the box.

Also I think I might sig that. I'm tired of being a WFP...

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hyra said:
At the present, this Pokemon is designated as a completely new Pokemon. However, in case our Pokemon fits an existing Pokemon too perfectly, we will need some evolution designs. I will only except 1 design for each evolution, and it will be done on first come first serve basis

hyra, why first come first served? why not pick the one that most people like?

also lol'd at the jesus pokemon, and the comments. it looks like with some repositioning it could be quite cool though.

Hydra asked me to post my idea in here... I didn't think a copy/paste would do... but its pretty much the same thing I said in the discussion.

My idea is for a ghost fencer type pokemon, because so far there are no pokemon who actually use a sword. (beedrill's arms are lances, and sneasel are kama or claws... hard to tell. Gallade is a tonfa user). If the discussion strays away from an offensive type pokemon, a samurai can be a "balanced" type, while a Knight with sheild + sword would easily work for defensive. Actually, a design focused on a shield would work a lot better for defensive (Tinbe-rochin (which is a shield + spear, but still cool), Sword and Buckler, or even just plain old shield)

My primary idea is again, a ghost fencer. I particularly am interested in a single blade wielded with a single hand, like a rapier or saber. I have a feeling that the dual weapon style of rapier+dagger would be more popular however, and would also recommend that style. I've got a little drawing of pretty much Casper the friendly ghost wearing a Top Hat weilding a Rapier (Right hand) and a dagger (left hand) and a bow-tie, with his face replaced with a Jack-o-Lanturn. It actually looks like a bit like a pokemon :-p But its still a bit too "human". Sorry I can't scan it online... I don't have access to a scanner.

Sources of innovation:
A Fencing helmet makes an excellent base for a ghost pokemon. There is a ghostly feeling whenever someone wears those helmets because you can't see their face at all.

For interesting positions, one of the best sources is from the book "The Cane as a Weapon". The poses tend to be based on fencing, and they are clearer shots than you'll get from watching youtube vids of a fencer. (The sword is pointed towards the face, but the cane is pointed down so that the opponent cannot grab it. Aside from that, the positions look rather similar)

Rapier + Dagger has plenty of hits on Google.

For other swords that may serve as a source of innovation... Claymores, Viking Swords, Short Sword, Longsword, Broadsword, Katana and Wakizashi (the two swords a samurai always carry). Other fencing swords/styles are Foil, Saber and Epee (which are the 3 modern fencing styles in the Olympics).

And while the Naginata isn't a sword, it is sword-like and probably a good source of innovation. The Zan bato is apparently a fictional weapon, and there really isn't a "real" example you can get... but its still awesome, even if it is impossible to actually weild. Shinai are the practice swords that Kendo guys use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)