Back to Sand (Gen V OU RMT, peaked 21, featuring Special Landoros))

So, I'm back with another RMT. My first two were midly successfull (one peaked at 34 and another at 57 on smogon, 3 and 12 on PO's server) and I've decided to give sand another try, with different offensive cores mind you.

That being said, this team has peaked at 21 on smogon's server and I've finally decided to write about it.

Team Building

Ok, so I've decided to do a Sandstorm team. Last time, i used Hippo as a lead, so i could have a decent physical wall which supported Entry Hazards. Since i wanted something different, I've used a standart MixTar with stealth Rocks.

So, after the lead set in stone, time to get my standart defensive core. Special defensive Ferrothorn and Stall breaker Gliscor it is

Time to work on my offensive core. At first i turned my head to Physical Landoros, but I've already used and I decided to try something new. I tried Terrakion, but i decided to switch to Dory to act as a pseudo scarfer. While i at first tried Balloon Dory, it was the LO set that grabbed my heart since it aws able to KO some Gliscor varieties. LO SD Excadrill it is.

So, Tyra and Dory for the Physycals, time for the specials. My first choice was one i've long lasted to try: Special Landoros. I'll give you a second. Stoped laughing? Ok, Landoros has access to Calm ming and has a decent Special movepool. He can pull his own weight, specially with Sand Power Boosting Earth Power.

Time for the last sklot. I wanted another Special attacker. At first, i went for Reuniclus and that smexy Magic Guard, but i found it underwhelming and moved on. Virizion was certainly a better choice, but it was Rotom-W, for it's resistences and wonderfull stabs that really filled the niche i wanted. I went for a Specs Rotom-W.

In Depth

Alexander (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch

While at first i used a Mixtar, it just didn't pull it's own weight. So i tried a Scarftar, and it also did bad. He could outspeed, but the loss of versatility and power wasn't enough. Choice Band nulls those points, and delivers a very strong punch to anything that dares stand in it's way without a SE move. Crunch is the reliable STAB, Stone Miss is for missed opportunities to turn a game, Pursuit is to get rid of Lati@s, plus other ghosts and psychics in general and Superpoer is for perfect Neutral Coverage with Crunch. Please note Adamant 252 CB Crunch always KO's 252/+252 Reuniclus, which is hilarious to see them stay in. and try to tank it. He is a great player and a definate keeper. Not only that, but his Pursuit is crazy strong. It can finish so many fleeing mons it's ridiculous.

Bianca (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

This guy keeps pumping out awesome. He has a great typing, great stats and is very versatile. Volt Switch is for scouting, Hydro Pump is for that smashing Stab move and Shadow Ball is for coverage. Trcik is to get rid of those awefull setuppers like Virizion and Scarfty. Although he has various resistences, he is quite frail and can't take many hits. People tend to understimate the power behind the specs set, and forget that it's coming frmo a very cosy SpA. Very pwoerfull, but frail due to low hp. Definatly the weakest of my team.

Elizabeth (Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Swords Dance

Standart stall breaker gliscor of Gen V. Ice fang for dragons allows Gliscor to win Gliscor fights, aswell as dealing nice damage to grass types, namely Breloom. It also murders dragons. Swords Dance gives him the edge in Stall Wars and EQ is the reliable Stall. Taunt is to keep certain mons from excessive setups. Skarmory and Nattorei are the highlights to this.

Spikeberry (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 100 Def / 204 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip

T-Wave for status, people think Nattorei switches out on fire types. Nope, i like to T-Wave them instead, and switch the following turn. This nattorei is EV'd to survive HP fire from many threats, namely latios and starmie. Leech Seed helps with recovery a lot, aswel as severally cripple many stall mons, particulary Taunt-lacking gliscors. Power whip is a strong stab that gives the final blow to water mons, particulary Quagsire, Rotom-W and Swampert. Stealth Rocks is the move that we all well know and love, hate and use.

Legretta (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

I know i know, this guy is way too powerfull, he isn't banned only because gliscor exhists and is a complete b**** to take down. That's why I'm using him. Wait for the right moment (preferably late game), SD up and sweep the team. EQ is the main Stab, Frustration KO's all the flying types that don't resist it, and for those there is rock Slide. With LO, it can even KO some variations of Gliscor!

Gilliam (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

This guy eats faces. People are fast to laugh at Special Landorus and forget it's acceptable 115 base SpA, alongside his boosted Earthpower. Having two immunities really help him out and grant him many switch in opportunities. HP Ice is for Gliscors and dragons, Earth Power is the main STAB and Focus Blast is for Porygon and Nattorei. Not only that, but it's such a surprise factor when people see the CM that they often panic and start switching around, giving you pleanty of time to set up or predict obvious switch ins onyl to hit them two times with the attack of choice.

I'm quite busy now, I'll post the threat lists later on.

Importable team:

Alexander (Tyranitar) (M) @ Choice Band Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Crunch
Bianca (Rotom-W) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
Elizabeth (Gliscor) (F) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Def / 68 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Swords Dance
Spikeberry (Ferrothorn) (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 204 HP / 100 Def / 204 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Power Whip
Legretta (Excadrill) (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
Gilliam (Landorus) (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Sand Force
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
- Calm Mind
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

What do you mean by keeping Ttar in the game? Tyra has decent defences, a great SpD in Sandstorm and mine has a lot of investment in HP, max in fact. Should any notable threat appear, i just switch him out. Fighting types are dealt with Gliscor, aswell as earth types. And unless he has less than 50% of his health he can take most water attacks in the game.

And of course, should i face any weather abusers, particulary sun and rain, i just play him more carefully. Otherwise, i use him to bang something up, then switch to the counter of the counter the opponent switched in.

Fantastic team !
Landolus is so surprising and score a lot of kills with Excadrill.
I'll test this team for a while then i 'll tell you my possible changes :D

Change sand force to sheer force on Landorus. Earth Power will still be boosted but now Focus Blast is also boosted. He also will not experience a drop in power outside of the sand.

While I'd love to give Landoros Sheer Force, this is a team designated for Standart OU. Changing to said ability would only allow me to play in DW, which i really don't want for now.

SoulWind

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis the 6th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 32 Championwon the 9th Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
While I'd love to give Landoros Sheer Force, this is a team designated for Standart OU. Changing to said ability would only allow me to play in DW, which i really don't want for now.
He put Sand Force, not Sheer Force.
Amazing team bro, I love your Landorus set.

Oh, i forgot to add a threat list! Important flaws are highlighted in red. Also, irrelevant threats will be cut.

Offensive Threats

Azelf -This is a trickier one, usually i try to scout for a fire move, should it have it, I use Ttar to counter it, otherwise Nattorei
Bisharp -Excadrill outspeeds and KO's
Breloom - This guy is a pain. Gliscor can absorb the spores and fighting moves, but he doesn't enjoy being leech seeded and getting hit by many Seed Bombs. This guy is a priority.
Chandelure - This guy is just lol. Ttar bait
Cobalion -

Conkeldurr -Gliscor can taunt his bulk ups and boost up to KO with repeated Earthquakes
Darmanitan -Another problematic mon. Doryuuzo outspeeds and all, but he can't switch in. Gliscor can kinda absorb some hits, but Flare Blitzes kill him fast.
Deoxys-S - his guy is more supportive, but i usualyl try to trick him something. Late game, Dory outspeeds. Nattorei also survives a Superpower and can T-Wave back.
Dragonite - Dory outspeeds, Landolos outspeeds, Gliscor murders any non mixed Nite.
Electivire -Landoros outspeeds, Dory outspeeds, if it lack cross chop, Ttar kills him.
Empoleon -Dory can revenge and Ttar can Superpower him. If Landolos is also "fresh", he can kill him.
Espeon - Nattorei to power whip some health away, Dory also kills him easily
Escavalier -Gliscor can taunt him so he doesn't SD too much, Nattorei can absorb Iron heads, but this guy is brutal. I might have to sack one mon, but he isn't much of a trouble.
Excadrill -
, plus Landoros can also handle him, and Nattorei "HKOs with Power Whip. Believe it not, Ttar can survive a non boosted non LO quake from dory and KO back with superpower if at full health.
Garchomp -
, Nattorei, Dory can revenge, Rotom can switch on Equake.
Gengar -Another tricky one. If He switches into Landoros, i can kill him back with +1HP ice, but i have to be at full health. Should it be choiced, Ttar kills. Dory outspeeds and kills.
Gyarados - Bulky variants are b*tches to take down. Even worse if they have taunt. Nattorei can kill it with repeated power whips. And Ttar resists his attacks and KO's back with Stone Miss if at full health.
Haxorus -

Heatran -People think I'll switch nattorei if i see this guy. Guess who just T-Waved you? After paralising him I KO with Dory, Landolos, TTar and rotom. I just realised this guy is countered by 4/6 of my team.
Heracross -

Hydreigon - This guy si so predictable it isn't even funny. Nattorei can T-Wave, Ttar can Superpower him if T-Waved, Landoros outspeeds Specs and dory outspeeds.
Infernape -Ugh, i love to use this guy but i have people use it against me. Dory outspeeds, Landoros has to predict. Rotom counters him prety good I'd say.
Jirachi -Unpredictable. Dory outspeeds and Landolos outspeeds non scarf. Rotom can hit him pretty hard.
Jolteon -Dory and Nattorei, sucks he can't be paralised though.
Kingdra -Nattorei, do your thing. Dory outspeeds, TTar hits him very hard.
Kyurem -Another problematic guy. Nattorei can survive one blizzard and one blizzard only. It MUST T-Wave him otherwise i rely on Dory to revenge him. If it's choiced, TTar can Superpower him or pursuit him as he runs away. I prefer Superpower since it can actually KO Abomasnow, a common switch in.

Landorus -Dory KO's with Frustration, even unboosted. Gliscor walls choice and double dancers. Everyone seems to have been using HP ice recently though.
Latios -TTar revenges, Dory outspeeds and KO's back.
Lucario -Gliscor, Dory, Landolos and Rotom can kill this guy very well
Machamp -Gliscor walls stone edge variants, Dory outspeeds and KO and so does Rotom and Landolos. Very, VERY painfull as a lead.

Magnezone -Very predictable, I can always see when he comes and i switch to the apropriate counter. If he tried to jump in on nattorei after he kills something, well, I just hope it doesn't have substitue, otherwise buh bye nattorei
Mamoswine -Rotom, Doryuuzu, Nattorei with no superpower.
Metagross -TTar, Dory, Landoros kill the offensive varieties. Trick screws the defensive guys.
Mienshao -Nattorei in the fake out, Gliscor afterwards.
Reuniclus -Trick can nerf him pretty badly. TTar just... destroys him with crunch.
Salamence -Dory outspeeds, Gliscor walls non Hydrop Pump variesties and takes a bit chunk from it. Mixed Varieties are revenged by Landolos.
Scizor -Ugh.Rotom can kill him, or trick him specs. Dory can kill him with EQ after soem damage is done. Landolos can Kill him if he predicts the switch. Very problematic.

Scrafty-Tricking the set ups is fun, and Tyra can kill him with superpower. Dory kills with EQ. Rotom can give some healthy damage with Hydro Pump.
Shaymin -Dory outspeeds and can KO if at +2, same for Landolos. TTar survives and kill, but only as he revenges. Nattorei can T-Wave it.
Sigilyph -Taun with gliscor, ko with TTar
Smeargle -Dory outspeeds, Gliscor taunts, Landolos and rotom just murder him.
Starmie -Very hard guy to take down. Rotom can Volt Switch for the KO, and TTar can revenge, but otherwise.... not much. Oh wait, there's nattorei who can KO with power whip. If it doesn't have HP fire that is.

Terakion -
, Dory Outspeeds Swords Dance varieties
Thundurus -Nattorei can T-Wave it if he doesn't Taunt him. Problematic.

Tornadus -Easier to take down with rotom, Nattorei survives one hurricane and paralisis, TTAr kills him. Still, problematic in the rain.
Tyranitar -
Landolos, Dory, Nattorei, Gliscor.

Venusaur -Must be paralised. TTar can counter it with crunch.
Victini -TTar
Virizion -rotom must trick, otherwise It is very, VERY hard to take down. Dory can kill at +2 though.

Volcarona -They tend to try to set up on my nattorei. Too bad, you just got T-Waved. TTar survives a +1 bug buzz and kills with Stone Miss. Dory outspeeds +1, Landolos. Rotom can kinda face him.
Weavile - Dory and Nattorei.
Zoroark -Easy to predict, TTar can handle him, so can Doryuuzu, and so can Rotom.
Rain Teams: Very, VERY hard to take down, Thank god for nattorei and CB Ttar.

Sun teams: Another hard task. TTar better keep SS up, otherwise it's GG if Venasaur is still alive.

Hail Teams: TTar just murders this.

Time for the defensive spectrum:

Alomomola - Rotom can trick it and Volt Switch to Nattorei, a hard counter.
Blissey - Tricking, Gliscor, Nattorei, TTar and Doryuuzu kill her, Landoros 2HKOs at +2.
Bronzong - Hard to take down. Rotom volt switches to TTar to try and finish it off. Nattorei can block him, but doesn't do much other then paralise, LS or set it's own hazards. Problematic.
Celebi - Doryuuzu OHKO's at +2 with Frustration, Landoros takes a hard chunk of it at +1 and Gliscor can Taunt and setup. Rotom can Shadow Ball, but only as a last resourt.
Chansey -It MUST be tricked. TTar can KO with Superpower though, and so can Dory with +2 EQ. Nattorei can LS to block her. Very very problematic.
Deoxys-D - Another hard guy. Nattorei paralises and LS, Gliscor can Taunt. if it's physicly focused, then Rotom can hope t kill with SB. The reverse works for both Dory and Ttar.
Cofagrigus - Trick, Shadow Ball, Taunt with Gliscor. Will-O-Wisp is anoying though.
Dusclops - Trick is great on this guy, once tricked, it not only becomes crippled but also is much more vulnerable to all of my sweepers. Again, will o whisp is annoying.
Ferrothorn - Gliscor Taunts and SD's up, Landoros can Set up on him to a limited extent. Dory 2HKO's at +2 (or OHKOs specia variesties). TTar KO's every variety but heavily physical (252/252+)
Forretress - Rotom volt Switches to TTar to superpower, if SS is already up, Volt Switch to Landoros for the KO with Earth Power.
Gigalith -Sturdy is annoying, Nattorei counters, and if hazards are on the field, Every sweeper in my team OHKO's
Gliscor -Rotom, Nattorei, Gliscor, Landoros can counter him. Dory can only OHKO some variesties and TTar just can't do anything. Quite annoying.

Hippowdon -Nattorei and Gliscor null this guy, Rotom can tric and Hydro Pump for OHKO. Landoros can OHKO at +1
Jellicent -Nattorei can counter this guy as long as it doesn't get burned. Even if it does, Power Whip takes a nice chunk and Leech Seed keeps the recovery up, not to mention it can paralise it. Dory OHKO's at +2, TTar OHKO's with both Crunch and Pursuit if not burned. I only bring TTar if i trick him. Rotom can Volt Switch and Trick. Landoros takes a hefty Chucnk with +1 Earth Power.
Latias - Nattorei deals with this guy. Thunder wave, Leech seed can nerf him pretty badly. TTar is a straight counter. Dory outspeeds and OHKO's at +2 or OHKO's at 0 boosts if it doesn't have any Def investments.
Mandibuzz -Nattorei, Gliscor, Dory and Ttar all deal with this gal. Landoros also OHKO's at +1 if it's a physical variant. Rotom Tricks and takes a hefty ammount of health with Volt Switch.
Ninetales - TTar can switch in on Scarf Varieties and KO with Anything but a Pursuit should it stay in. Will-o-Wisp is always annoying.
Politoed - Nattorei can Switch in and scout for Focus Blast, paralising him and leech seeding while it's there. Should i be annoyed, i Power Whip him out. rotom can scout and Ttar obliterates Specs and Scarf Varieties.
Porygon2 - Very problematic, due to that annoying Ice Beam and Thunderwave combo. Gliscor is OHKO'd and so is Landoros, and they can't do anything back unless they are at high stages of boosting (+3 for Landoros with Focus Blast, +6 With Gliscor). Nattorei paralises and Leech Seeds, Rotom Tricks his Eviolite away, locking him in T-Wave usually. Ttar OHKO's with Superpower and Dory OHKO's at +2
Rotom-H - Rotom can HP, Dory can kill at +2 with Frustration and TTar can Kill it with anything if it isn't burned. Must be scouted for Will-o-Wisp.
Rotom-W - Another maor annoyance. My own Rotom can Volt Switch health away from him, but Nattorei is the best counter i have. LS and T-Wave screw him over. Power Whips takes a hefty Chucnk, Will-o-whisp nulls PW though. Dory OHKO's at +2, and Ttar kills him should it not be burned.
Skarmory -Gliscor can taunt him and boost up, Nattorei LS's and T-Waves, but it's Up to Rotom and Landoros to give the final Blow. Dory does about 50% at +2. Quite Annoying if Gliscor is out, since he keeps shuffling.
Snorlax - Ttar OHKOs, Dory OHKOs at +2, Landoros Takes hefty chunks from him, rotom ricks and Gliscor and Nattorei deal with this guy just fine.
Suicune -Nattorei. Nattorei Everywhere. Also Rotom and TTar to an extent.
Swampert - Nattorei OHKO's, TTar takes a good chunk from him.. Rotom tricks and Spams HP. Landoros OHKO's physical variesties at +1. Dory takes a lot of gealth from him at +2.
Tentacruel - Dory and Landoros deal with him just fine. Liquid ooze is annoying for Nattorei, Gliscor outspeeds 0Spd varieties and rotom takes a lot of health from him with Volt Switch.
Vaporeon -Nattorei Deals with him, LS recovers an insane ammount of health. Dory OHKO's Special varieties at +2, Landoros OHKO's physicals at +1, Rotom takes a lot and TTar can take a lot of health from it.
Whimsicott - Nattorei shuts it down, Dory kills at +2 with frustration. rotom can trick on teh switch in, or on a predicted LS. Gliscor taunts and sets up. Landoros can OHKO at +1.
Xatu - TTar, Dory, Landoros and Rotom all deal with him very well. Gliscor can SD and hope to kill with Ice fang at high boosts.
Zapdos -TTar with Crunch and Stone Miss. Rotom takes a lot of H3ealth from him. Landolos outspeeds everything but scarf and KO's or takes a healthy chunk. Dory OHKO's at +2. Nattorei can T-Wave the switch in, but not stay in to tank the incoming heat wave.

And with this, my RMT is finally complete, so, what do you guys think?

It'd be nice if you put an exportable in hide tags, as a few good teams have done so. Reason being that we can just import it into PO as I could find issues with the team by actually playing with it. Otherwise, this really looks like a great team. I really can't think of any immediate changes that'll help the team immensely though.

A few nitpicks though:

First, you're saying that CB Crunch always OHKOes Bold max/max, whereas if Reuniclus is at perfect health, you'll barely miss out on the OHKO, keep this in mind.

As for Rotom-W, I could recommend a change from Shadow Ball to Pain Split. Pain Split is a worthy option to consider if Shadow Ball doesn't work as well as you want it to. It has it's advantages of ripping a good bit of health from bulkier foes, as Rotom's low base HP means more often than not, it can heal itself off of things that give your team issues, like Skarmory, Blissey/Chansey, etc.

I can still import this team for now though, and I'll get back after some testing.

EDIT: Okay, I'm back. Cloyster utterly murders this team if it can get in. Nattorei/Ferrothorn can't OHKO the White Herb variants, and still misses the OHKO even then. I'm really not sure what stops it other than that.

Oh, thanks for reminding me of cloyster. What i usually do with him is Switch Nattorei to Power whip (they also tend to switch in nattorei) and take away a good chunk and then proceed to let it die (big sacrifice, but sometimes it's required), switching in Doryuuzo to outspeed and KO with Rock Slide. It is a very problematic mon though.

As for the Rotom suggestion, thanks, I'll try it right now. I can also say I've been currently trying HPfire as a replacement to Shadow Ball and i can say it's qutie good too.

Also, I added the importable team to the main post.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)