Status
Not open for further replies.
Smogon Frontier

ANNOUNCING...

THE SMOGON FRONTIER

(Theme Video)
(Theme Song)
It's a battle, win or lose.
It's the friends you make, it's the road you choose.
You've got the right stuff, so make your mind up.
You'll find the courage inside of you!

If you're strong you'll survive and you'll keep your dream alive,
It's the SMOGON Frontier -- POKEMON!
Be the best you can be and find your destiny,
It's the master plan -- the power's in your hand!
POKEMON!

You've got the strength to win it, so stay in it.
If you're smart you can take it all!

If you're strong you'll survive, and you'll keep your dream alive,
It's the SMOGON Frontier -- POKEMON!
Be the best you can be and find your destiny,
It's the master plan -- the power's in your hand!
POKEMON!

In honor of Ash Ketchum's defeat of the Battle Frontier on 17 February 2007, Smogon is announcing its own edition of an elite online competitive Pokemon league.

Welcome to the Smogon Frontier -- the ultimate challenge for aspiring Pokemon trainers to battle the best! Seven NetBattle administrators offer unmatched capacity in the areas necessary to become a true Pokemon master: Knowledge (
), Guts (
), Tactics (
), Luck (
), Spirit (
), Ability (
), and Bravery (
). Trainers wishing to be the best by beating the best battle these Smogon "Frontier Brains" and attempt to win skill symbols of the aforementioned qualities.

The Smogon Frontier Brains are as follows!

SMOGON BATTLE FACTORY HEAD VINEON
(Knowledge Symbol)

Factory Head Vineon specializes in Challenge Cup battles, and if you challenge the Smogon Frontier you'll have to be prepared to deal with this element of randomness. In order to gain the Knowledge Symbol, defeat Vineon in two out of three Challenge Cup battles.

SMOGON BATTLE ARENA TYCOON AEOLUS (Guts Symbol)

Arena Tycoon Aeolus is relatively new to the Pokemon community, but his battling prowess is unquestioned. Battling day and night, he has honed his skills to the utmost levels, so he will not go down without a fight. Defeat him to earn the Guts Symbol!

SMOGON BATTLE DOME ACE HUSK (Tactics Symbol)

SMOGON BATTLE PIKE QUEEN JUMPMAN16 (Luck Symbol)

The quintessential Poké-holic, the only thing Pike Queen Jumpman16 hates about Pokemon is losing. But that's okay, since his teams rarely see defeat. Good luck, because you'll need it -- Jumpman16 holds the Luck Symbol for the Frontier.

SMOGON BATTLE PALACE MAVEN goofball (Spirit Symbol)

SMOGON BATTLE SALON MAIDEN SKARM (Ability Symbol)

Salon Maiden skarm's no pushover, despite his tendency to blow up into double Protects and squeal in pain at memories of a certain Rayquaza with Fly. He is the Official Ability Region champion due to his exploits in 2005, and then further in 2006. Beat him, if you can, and you'll gain the Ability Symbol.

SMOGON BATTLE PYRAMID KING Groudon80 (Bravery Symbol)

RULES AND REGULATIONS:

* In order to regulate traffic and maintain integrity of eligibility, only fourteen (14) trainers may seek to conquer the Smogon Frontier at a time. When fourteen have been admitted, registration is closed until a spot opens.

* If there is an open spot to challenge the Smogon Frontier and you wish to participate, you must sign up by posting in the registration thread located here. Registration opens Friday, 23 February 2007 at 7:00 PM EST. In your post, include the following information:

- NetBattle Username (THIS MUST BE THE SAME AS YOUR SMOGON FORUMS ACCOUNT USERNAME):
- How long you have been playing on NetBattle:
- Favorite Pokemon:

* If you are admitted to participate in the Smogon Frontier as one of the active challengers, congratulations! Your next step is to challenge one of the Frontier Brains: Vineon, Aeolus, husk, Jumpman16, EeveeTrainer, skarm, or Groudon80.

* There is no set order with which you must challenge the Smogon Frontier. The order in which they are currently presented is merely that which was followed by Ash Ketchum in his quest to become the Battle Frontier Champion.

* Any Frontier Brain may choose to decline any challenge for any reason.

* Challengers must have at least one (1) official Smogon Frontier battle per week. Exceptions to this rule may be granted when deemed appropriate by the Frontier Brains.

* Challengers may have no more than three (3) official Smogon Frontier battles per day. Exceptions to this rule may be granted when deemed appropriate by the Frontier Brains.

* When battling for the Knowledge Symbol, each of the best-of-three Challenge Cup matches must be played consecutively and immediately.

* Each challenger of the Smogon Frontier possesses the ability to request one (1) rematch when defeated by a Frontier Brain. This "rematch clause" may only be invoked once; a subsequent loss to any Frontier Brain thereafter yields disqualification from the Smogon Frontier (ie, Game Over).

* Rematches may be conducted no sooner than one day following the challenger's original defeat.

* All Smogon Frontier Challengers are ineligible to rematch a Smogon Frontier Brain to whom they have lost until they have defeated all remaining Frontier Brains (excluding Pyramid King chaos)

* For rematches requested for the Knowledge Symbol, a new "best-of-three" set of challenge cup battles will be initiated.

* Challengers must battle on the name with which they registered for the Frontier in order for matches to be counted as official.

* Frontier Brains must battle on those names prefixed with their official title in order for matches to be counted as official (Factory Head Vineon, Arena Tycoon Aeolus, Dome Ace husk, Pike Queen Jumpman16, Palace Maven goofball, Salon Maiden skarm, and Pyramid King Groudon80).

* No Smogon Frontier battles may be conducted on 1 April 2007.

* All battle results must be reported to husk, the Smogon Tournaments Director. Battle results are subject to confirmation by the Frontier Brains.

* A mystery prize awaits any trainer who conquers the Smogon Frontier by collecting all seven symbols! Regardless of the final outcome of a participant's Smogon Frontier quest, however, each symbol won by an individual challenger will be added to his or her profile to be proudly displayed for merit.

***ALL SMOGON FRONTIER MATCHES MUST ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING BATTLE RULES***
* No Mewtwo, Mew, Lugia, Ho-oh, Wobbuffet, Wynaut, Latias, Latios, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Deoxys (all forms)
* No illegal movesets
* No OHKO moves (No Horn Drill, Fissure, Guillotine, or Sheer Cold)
* No Evasion moves (No Double Team or Minimize)
* No Pokemon may hold Quick Claw, Scope Lens, Brightpowder, Focus Band, King's Rock, or Lax Incense.
* Baton Pass Clause WILL be enforced. No more than two Pokemon on a team may know the move "Baton Pass".
* Advance Mode ONLY
* No Double Battles (No 2vs2)
* Sleep Clause MUST be enabled
* Freeze Clause MUST be enabled
* Self-KO Clause MUST be enabled
* Apply PP Ups MUST be enabled
* Stadium Mode MUST be disabled
* Level Balance MUST be disabled
* Battle Timeout MUST be enabled
* Unrated MUST be enabled
* Show Enemy HP MUST be disabled
* Disallow Spectators MUST be disabled
* Species Clause WILL be enforced
* XD moves WILL be allowed
* Battles MUST be conducted on the official Smogon NetBattle server @ nb.smogon.com
* For those Knowledge Symbol matches in which Challenge Cup is to be played, Ubers, OHKOs, and Evasion are permitted if they are on the random team assigned.

Good luck -- or should I say -- Good knowledge, guts, tactics, luck, spirit, ability, and bravery! You'll need all of these qualities to successfully conquer the Smogon Frontier. Registration will open on Friday, 23 Februrary 2007 at 7:00 PM EST in the registration thread located here.

Keep track of battle results at Smogon Frontier's website!

This is not the registration thread. Do not attempt to sign up in this thread.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD

DO NOT
ATTEMPT TO SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD

DO NOT

Feel free to chat, comment, and ask questions though!

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD

DO NOT

DO NOT

Ok, so apart from Vineon, which is a best out of 5 CC RS, the rest are Advance mode, Single Battle, Non-level Balance, best out of 1. Correct?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Because if not everyone would be using a BP team due to the high level of success. We'd rather not have every match come down to who gets lucky with a BP team. Would you rather all 7 of us used BP teams just to cover our own rears?

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Does earning a symbol grant the same things as getting a badge, or is it just a nice add-on? By the way, I love Jumpman's pic.

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Does earning a symbol grant the same things as getting a badge, or is it just a nice add-on?
What do you mean grant the same things? Getting a custom user title etc? I'm pretty sure it's only a nice add-on to your profile.

This sounds awesome. Love to play when registration opens. So when you've lost twice to someone your out is it? And then can you register again any time later?

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
You are partially correct. If you lose any 2 battles (either against the same brain, or different ones... doesn't matter) you are out.

However, you don't get a second chance. You have only one shot.

So, if you register, and then lose twice, that is it, you can't register again at a later date, correct? also, can you use the same team for different battles, or does it have to be a different team?

skarm

I HAVE HOTEL ROOMS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You can try to counter team us all you want (switching teams to battle different brains). If you "Game over" from the Smogon Frontier you're out, period, and never get a second chance.

"we have inside scoop for this"

I think it should be broadened out more. Like playing skarm for ubers. And some others for rby/gsc. And maybe justin would have a bp team or something. Theres only two different types, CC Vineon and ADV everyone else.

I agree with massi4h about everything, apart from justin having a bp team.

I think the BP clause is a very good ruling here..

Why am I more intimidated than I should be... >_>...

Edit: Oh... now I remember... I only use one team! Shit! I better go develop some more! >_>

Xtrema, it might be a good idea to read the original post.

* If there is an open spot to challenge the Smogon Frontier and you wish to participate, you must sign up by posting in the registration thread located here. Registration opens Friday, 23 February 2007 at 7:00 PM EST. In your post, include the following information:
Rules and Regulations, second paragraph.

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think it should be broadened out more. Like playing skarm for ubers. And some others for rby/gsc. And maybe justin would have a bp team or something. Theres only two different types, CC Vineon and ADV everyone else.
It's supposed to be all advance. I think the rules are clear and they are already discussed. This thread is to inform you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)