"Ask a simple question, get a simple answer" mark 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I'm getting tired of making these. Please be less spammy. Please use google more.

[thread=19414]READ THIS THREAD BEFORE ASKING ANY QUESTIONS[/thread]

I have a question that's might not be easliy answerable. How is this series of thread get locked after a certain number of pages are made?

I have a question that's might not be easliy answerable. How is this series of thread get locked after a certain number of pages are made?
Closed after a 100 or so pages to reduce clutter or something along those lines.

My question:
I have this Modest Manphy and I wish to run a Tail Glow set. I figure with Tail glow + Modest, SpAtk is high enough, so what would a decent 'Bulky Sweeper Manaphy' EV spread?

If you really want to go for it, a bulky sweeper set could be with 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd. However, I really would still go with a 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Spd spread, because the more Special Attack, the more you have to slam Blissey with

Okay...I can somwhat see the logic behind that.

Next Question: What is the purpose behind IVs? Were IVs even around in R/B/Y?
IVs didn't exist at all in RBY, and in GSC they were only 0-15 and not 0-31 like they were in Ruby/Sapphire and later games.

It's part of the whole "no two Pokemon are alike" thing, I guess.

Uh, no. They were the same as they were in GSC.
Really? I was almost certain stats were set in stone with no interference in RBY. Looking at Netbattle though, I see I was wrong. I wasn't really around for RBY or GSC competitive battling though, so I can see why x(

IVs didn't exist at all in RBY, and in GSC they were only 0-15 and not 0-31 like they were in Ruby/Sapphire and later games.

It's part of the whole "no two Pokemon are alike" thing, I guess.
I figured one the "no two pokemon are alike" thing coming from GF but I never knew if R/B/Y ever use that idea first and just we didn't noticed it as that would explain how you could increase the stats of a pokemon by putting them in the PC back then.

Edit: Well then, my strange and unknowning hunch was right, sorta. Kinda wish the IV limit was 15, make IV breeding much easier XD

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Surgo: I'd like to recommend that the front page should say that people look at the research thread to answer most of their questions.

What would you all suggest a good EV spread would be for a Calm Milotic with the move set it of:

(only calm cuz it has 28+ IV's in everything and 31 in HP and DEF so I keep it)

Hypnosis
Ice Beam
Surf
Sleep Talk/Recover/Hp Electric/Toxic

And what do you suggest the last move should be, I am leading towards Recover or Sleep Talk

Yes, except pokemon gave a much bigger amount and the cap for each stat was 65265... Uh, that big number beginning with six. So technically, there was no cap.
Holy Crap, you're serious, damn now I know why they gave the later games a cap, that's just insane.

Did anyone figured out how much of a boost Solar Power ability gives, because I been reading up on the Research thread and have yet to see any result.

Might want to remind them that the Search option exists... Well, you never know.
I would have said that would be common sense but given on the fact that we're on our four running of this thread, I would say that's a good idea to say.

Holy Crap, you're serious, damn now I know what they gave the later games a cap, that's just insane.
Do note that it can't surpass their max IV stat for their levels. =P Like, Mewtwo will always have 406 (Why did they add a 1 for each stat on neutral?) max SpA. But this goes for all his stats, instead of needing to divide them. So you could have a Mewtwo with 406 SpA and 298 in both defences.

Boa1891

Ninja Researcher
is a Researcher Alumnus
If you really want to go for it, a bulky sweeper set could be with 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd. However, I really would still go with a 4 HP / 252 Satk / 252 Spd spread, because the more Special Attack, the more you have to slam Blissey with
252 spreads are SO original. I'm sure he couldn't come up with that on his own.

For a bulky sweeper, go for good HP (200-252 evs), fair SAtk (140-180?) and dump the rest into any stat(s) of choice (preferrably the defenses, I'd say go with more in Def than SDef, but some in SDef is nice).
For Specifics: Go for however much HP you need for max lefties recovery, run some SAtk calculations for Tail Glow'd attacks against common Pokémon, and put the rest of the EVs at a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio for whatever defense you think he's most likely to need.

@Easton: "The more to slam Blissey with" is a defective mindset since any special attacker would have to have an IQ in the low 10s to stay in on Blissey, even after they set up. That's why you don't set up until the threats are gone, so you can get a clean sweep. Duhr.

has the damage calculation for beat up changed? i've been trying to search but smogon apparently doesn't allow words with 4 or less characters.

ok, I have a question. In terms of special sweeping, who would be best: Magmortar, ninetales, manectric, or houndoom?

Hye

Is it legal to have a Chansey/Blissey with Aromatherapy, Counter and Seismic toss?

I heard that Charm and Seismic toss is ILLEGAL. I just want to confirm if the above set is legal.

( Couldnt find any answers on th Blissey Discussion, they jsut list every possible move that Blissey can learn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)