Cyndaquil (Analysis)

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Cyndaquil

QC Checks: Nails, Aerrow
GP Checks: Calm Pokemaster, TelamonianAjax

[Overview]

<p>Cyndaquil seems to be quite underwhelming at first glance, due to its poor movepool and average stats. There is some truth to this, as Houndour is a better special attacker, while Ponyta is a much better physical attacker. However, Cyndaquil has one saving grace as the only Pokemon in Little Cup to learn Eruption. When at full health, it can hit many things that don't resist Fire-type attacks quite hard. Despite needing some team support in the form of Rapid Spin, Cyndaquil can be a good choice in Little Cup provided it maintains its niche.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Eruption
move 2: Fire Blast
move 3: Hidden Power Grass
move 4: Nature Power
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Blaze
nature: Modest
evs: 44 HP / 24 Atk / 200 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reaching 16 Special Attack and 24 Speed with a Choice Scarf, Cyndaquil can be used as a powerful attacker and revenge killer when healthy. Eruption is the crux of this set, being extremely powerful at high health. When Cyndaquil falls below 80% of its maximum HP, however, Fire Blast becomes the more powerful option. Hidden Power Grass is Cyndaquil's main coverage move, hitting Water-types which resist Eruption hard. Nature Power becomes Earthquake in a WiFi environment, including on simulators, meaning it is the best option to hit Houndour, Tentacool, and Ponyta.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It should be mentioned that a Blaze-boosted Fire Blast hits harder than a full-powered Eruption, meaning Cyndaquil has a viable move even when weakened. Flamethrower can't reach those levels of power, but it has perfect accuracy if that is desired. In that case, Flamethrower would be the better move over Eruption at 63% health or below. If more Speed is desired, a Timid nature could be used, though Cyndaquil prefers the extra power a Modest nature gives. Don't be tempted to lower one of Cyndaquil's defenses for Nature Power, however, as it hits its targets hard enough with an Attack-lowering nature.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil is a Pokemon that needs some team support to work well, mainly Rapid Spin. This lets it switch in multiple times to use a full-power Eruption. Baltoy can use Rapid Spin and resists Ground- and Rock-type moves aimed at Cyndaquil, making it a good option. Staryu resists Water-type moves and has Rapid Spin as well, along with being able to take on Fire-types such as Houndour well. If these are unsatisfactory, Natu has Magic Bounce to reflect entry hazards back at the other team. Water-types and Fire-types are also problems for Cyndaquil. Chinchou can check Fire-types with Surf or Hydro Pump, and Water-types with Thunderbolt, making it a good teammate for Cyndaquil.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cyndaquil has few good options, and the main set is easily its best. Extrasensory can hit Tentacool for super effective damage, but Cyndaquil already has Nature Power to deal with it. Flame Charge can be used to boost Speed without resorting to a Choice Scarf. Both sacrifice coverage options in Nature Power or Hidden Power or reliability in Fire Blast, meaning they are lesser options.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil also has a decent physical movepool, with Flame Charge, Nature Power, Flare Blitz, and Wild Charge. Sadly, it packs too little power, and Ponyta completely outclasses it outside of Nature Power.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Houndour and Ponyta are the best counters to this set. They can switch in with ease thanks to Flash Fire and resistance to Grass-type attacks, and smack Cyndaquil with Dark Pulse or Return, respectively. However, they need to watch out for Nature Power.</p>

<p>Water-types work well, as they resist Fire-type attacks. Slowpoke, Chinchou, and Frillish can work nicely with their good bulk, but need to watch out for Hidden Power Grass. Tentacool can handle Hidden Power but can't take Nature Power. It has high Special Defense, making it a good choice with a little prediction.</p>

<p>Revenge killing is another option to beat Cyndaquil. Mienfoo with Eviolite can survive Eruption and KO back. Mienfoo gets the KO with Fake Out followed by Drain Punch.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Cyndaquil gets Flash Fire as a Dream World ability, and at first glance it seems like the obvious option. Sadly, it has not been released. All starting Pokemon with Dream World abilities released so far have been level 10 and male, meaning it would likely be illegal in Little Cup if it were released.</p>

Baltoy is a Rapid Spinner that resists Ground and Rock, Cyndaquil's two weaknesses in the sun, and can SR and Dual Screen too

Bronzor does too, as well as a pseudo water resist in the sun, and sets up SR and screens too

You can run Flame Charge over Double Kick :/ you say yourself it's filler.

Chlorophyll users kill Water, Rock, and Ground types, and both like sun.

Talk about how Blaze Fire Blasts hurt a lot, and how it's easy to get to 33% with SR and stuff.

Talk about how Cyndaquil's DW ability is banned in LC.

Flamethrower should be slashed or mentioned as an option over Fire Blast. Accuracy vs power and stuff.

talk about the pros and cons of a +spe nature

Cyndaquil gets Flare Blitz, Flame Charge, Return, and Nature Power Earthquake for Rock-types, which is only walled by Archen (who takes loads from sun'd Flare Blitz), and isn't outclassed because of Flare Blitz+Blaze. Charmander doesn't get Earthquake, Torchic doesn't get Flare Blitz, Chimchar doesn't get Flare Blitz, and Tepig doesn't get Earthquake. Could work, in the scenario that you hated rock-types and didn't feel like running a spinner for Eruption.

Diana

Baltoy is a Rapid Spinner that resists Ground and Rock, Cyndaquil's two weaknesses in the sun, and can SR and Dual Screen too

Bronzor does too, as well as a pseudo water resist in the sun, and sets up SR and screens too

You can run Flame Charge over Double Kick :/ you say yourself it's filler.

Chlorophyll users kill Water, Rock, and Ground types, and both like sun.

Talk about how Blaze Fire Blasts hurt a lot, and how it's easy to get to 33% with SR and stuff.

Talk about how Cyndaquil's DW ability is banned in LC.

Flamethrower should be slashed or mentioned as an option over Fire Blast. Accuracy vs power and stuff.

talk about the pros and cons of a +spe nature

Cyndaquil gets Flare Blitz, Flame Charge, Return, and Nature Power Earthquake for Rock-types, which is only walled by Archen (who takes loads from sun'd Flare Blitz), and isn't outclassed because of Flare Blitz+Blaze. Charmander doesn't get Earthquake, Torchic doesn't get Flare Blitz, Chimchar doesn't get Flare Blitz, and Tepig doesn't get Earthquake. Could work, in the scenario that you hated rock-types and didn't feel like running a spinner for Eruption.
I'll mention Baltoy but I think I should mention that outside of sun it's not really helpful. Bronzor in sun worries me much more though, I want more input on that.

Yeah you can run Flame Charge there if you have Houndour and Tentacool coverage I guess but Cyndaquil is more the type to hit then get the hell out before something wrecks you. I'd much rather the immediate speed and the option to mess with Houndour.

Honestly I had mentioning Chlorophyll users planned but then I forgot to type it up in the skeleton so I'll add that.

Blaze Fire Blast will get a mention too now that you mention it.

Will add the DW section for that.

Flamethrower seems like AC material because Cyndaquil needs all the power it can get.

+Spe can go in AC as well but the whole power thing makes it a lesser option.

Physical set maybe? I never realized it got Nature Power of all things. Actually, that would go over Double Kick on the Scarf set in a heartbeat, I'm going to change that. I'll work on a physical set, apparently it gets Wild Charge too for some reason. I thought too much like 4th gen and missed two surprising moves, apparently...

Edit: Going to put it in OO for now but if QC wants a full set for it I'd be okay with it.

Diana

I'm not sure how this would work but Blaze + Reversal is just asking for an Endure set. Maybe AC material?
Put it in Other Options because although cool-looking it gets wrecked by priority, sand, hail, faster Choice Scarf users, Frillish, Slowpoke, and probably Tentacool. It's an interesting concept but I can't see it working often.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Endure sucks without salac this gen. Also LC is known for priority being amazing. Drop the endure set.

It has more than enough power on nature power to ko fires with a modest nature, don't lower the defenses.

Rapid Spinning Sucks in lc. If you're going to mention spinner you have to mention natu for magic mirror.

Meditite and meinfoo can revenge kill by living an eruption and drain punching or fake out + drain punch respectively.

No Mach Punch user likes switching into houndour (even magby takes a lot), water types generally do the trick.

Rapid spin is really really bad in LC. Emphasize that fact.

Diana

Endure sucks without salac this gen. Also LC is known for priority being amazing. Drop the endure set.

It has more than enough power on nature power to ko fires with a modest nature, don't lower the defenses.

Rapid Spinning Sucks in lc. If you're going to mention spinner you have to mention natu for magic mirror.

Meditite and meinfoo can revenge kill by living an eruption and drain punching or fake out + drain punch respectively.

No Mach Punch user likes switching into houndour (even magby takes a lot), water types generally do the trick.

Rapid spin is really really bad in LC. Emphasize that fact.
Okay will take Endure out of OO as quickly as I took it out.

Modest... Okay sounds fine.

Now Rapid Spin sucks but Cyndaquil sadly needs Stealth Rock off the field badly. I'll mention Natu and that Rapid Spin sucks overall though.

I'll take down the Mach Punch user mentions for Houndour there too.

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
With Modest it gets 16 SpA, not 17.
Change Naive/Hasty to timid.
Ponyta completely outclasses the physical set.
Be prepared to rewrite the teammates in AC when sun likely gets banned in a couple days.
Emphasize that the only reason to use it is eruption... Houndour mostly outclasses it.

[QC STAMP 1/2]

Diana

With Modest it gets 16 SpA, not 17.
Change Naive/Hasty to timid.
Ponyta completely outclasses the physical set.
Be prepared to rewrite the teammates in AC when sun likely gets banned in a couple days.
Emphasize that the only reason to use it is eruption... Houndour mostly outclasses it.

[QC STAMP 1/2]
okay I'll fix it then go to sleep and check this thread tomorrow
And yeah I expect sun to get banned too.

I think Nails is over doing the Rapid Spin hate a bit, it's definitely viable - especially with something that relies on coming in at 100% to be effective. I'd give it a strong mention, personally.

Diana

So which does QC want overall, a strong mention for Rapid Spin or against? I can see the arguments for both, I just need to know what I need to emphasize in the write-up.

Diana

Okay, I went with the strong mention. This one went through a rollercoaster, it actually has gravitated back toward the original post from where it was last night due to the QC checks. I'll write this up tonight most likely but I'll make sure to make any Sun references easy to take out.

Deletions
Additions / Corrections
Comments

[Overview]

<p>Cyndaquil seems to be quite underwhelming at first look, due to its poor movepool and average stats. There is some truth to this, as Houndour is a better special attacker and Ponyta is a much better physical attacker. However, Cyndaquil has one saving grace as the only Pokemon in Little Cup to learn Eruption. When at full health, it can hit many things that don't resist Fire-type attacks quite hard. Despite needing some team support in the form of Rapid Spin, Cyndaquil can be a good choice in Little Cup provided it stays in maintains its niche.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reaching 16 Special Attack and 24 Speed with a Choice Scarf, Cyndaquil can be used as a powerful attacker and revenge killer when healthy. Eruption is the biggest reason crux of this set, being extremely powerful at high health. When Cyndaquil falls below 80% of its full HP, however, Fire Blast becomes the more powerful option. Hidden Power Grass is Cyndaquil's main coverage move, hitting Water-types that can take Eruption hard. Nature Power becomes Earthquake in a WiFi environment, including on simulators, meaning it is the best option to hit Houndour, Tentacool, and Ponyta.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It should be mentioned that a Blaze-boosted Fire Blast hits harder than a full-powered Eruption, meaning it Cyndaquil has a viable move late even when it has been weakened. Flamethrower can't reach those levels of power, but it has perfect accuracy if that is desired. In that case, Flamethrower would be the better move over Eruption at 63% health or below. If more Speed is desired, a Timid nature could be used, though Cyndaquil prefers the extra power a Modest nature gives. Don't be tempted to lower one of Cyndaquil's defenses for Nature Power, however, as it hits its targets hard enough with an Attack-lowering nature.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil is a Pokemon that needs some team support to work well, and the main help it needs is in the form of Rapid Spin. This lets it switch in multiple times to use a full-power Eruption. Baltoy can use Rapid Spin and resists Ground- and Rock-type moves aimed at Cyndaquil, making it an interesting option a good option. Staryu resists Water-type moves and has Rapid Spin as well, along with being able to take on Fire-types like Houndour well. If Rapid Spin is not desired, Natu has Magic Bounce to reflect entry hazards back at the other team. Water-types and Fire-types are also problems for Cyndaquil. Chinchou can use Surf or Hydro Pump on check Fire-types with Surf or Hydro Pump, and Thunderbolt on Water-types with Thunderbolt, making it a good option teammate for Cyndaquil.</p>

<p>Another option would be to use Cyndaquil on a sun team, using Vulpix as a teammate. That powers up Eruption to quite powerful levels despite the shared weaknesses ridiculously high levels, making Vulpix an excellent teammate for Cyndaquil despite the weaknesses it shares with it owing to its similar typing. Bellsprout and Petlil are other good choices for this type of team, being able to use powerful Grass-type attacks on Pokemon Cyndaquil is weak to. Coverage for Houndour and Ponyta are still important on this type of team, however, and Wooper can be a good help to use help out immensely with Earthquake. It can also take Fire-type moves well, even in the sun.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cyndaquil has few good options, and the main set is easily its best option. However, it can use Extrasensory for a Special Attack on Tentacool or boost Speed with Flame Charge without using a Choice Scarf. Extrasensory can be used to hit Tentacool for super effective damage, but Cyndaquil already has Nature Power to deal with it. Flame Charge can be used to boost Speed without resorting to using a Choice Scarf.Both sacrifice coverage options in Nature Power or Hidden Power or reliability in Fire Blast, meaning they are lesser options.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil also has a decent physical movepool, having Flame Charge, Nature Power, Flare Blitz, and Wild Charge. Sadly, it packs too little power, and Ponyta completely outclasses it outside of Nature Power.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

</p>Houndour can switch into anything but Nature Power thanks to Flash Fire and a Grass-type resist. It can hit Cyndaquil back with Dark-type moves. Ponyta is similar, using Return to hit Cyndaquil. Houndour and Ponyta are the best counters to this set. They can switch in with ease thanks to Flash Fire and resistance to grass-type attacks, and smack Cyndaquil with Dark Pulse or Return, respectively. However, they need to watch out for Nature Power.</p>

<p>Water-types work well since they resist Fire-type attacks. Slowpoke, Chinchou, and Frillish can work nicely if they avoid Hidden Power Grass and with their good bulk, but need to watch out Hidden Power Grass. Tentacool can handle Hidden Power, but can't take Nature Power. It has high Special Defense, making it a good choice with a little prediction.</p>

<p>Revenge killing (remove hyphen) is another option to beat Cyndaquil. Choice Scarf Gligar can outspeed and KO with Earthquake, while Meditite and Mienfoo with Eviolite can survive Eruption and KO back. Meditite does so with Drain Punch, while Mienfoo gets the KO with Fake Out followed by Drain Punch.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Cyndaquil gets Flash Fire as a Dream World ability, and at first glance it seems like the obvious option. Sadly, it has not been released. All starting Pokemon released so far with Dream World abilities so far have been level 10 males and Male, meaning it would likely be illegal in Little Cup if it was released.</p>

You forgot to put the <p> </p> tags. Otherwise,

GP 1 / 2

Diana

Oops ._. Oh well, will fix all that.

Update: Vulpix is banned, taking out the paragraph about sun teams now. The rest still works.

Update 2: Now I'm really confused, the post that was there about voting results last night is gone now. Should I put the paragraph about sun back in or just wait it out?

Looks good.

[Overview]

<p>Cyndaquil seems to be quite underwhelming at first lookglance, due to its poor movepool and average stats. There is some truth to this, as Houndour is a better special attacker and, while Ponyta is a much better physical attacker. However, Cyndaquil has one saving grace as the only Pokemon in Little Cup to learn Eruption. When at full health, it can hit many things that don't resist Fire-type attacks quite hard. Despite needing some team support in the form of Rapid Spin, Cyndaquil can be a good choice in Little Cup, provided it maintains its niche.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Reaching 16 Special Attack and 24 Speed with a Choice Scarf, Cyndaquil can be used as a powerful attacker and revenge killer when healthy. Eruption is the crux of this set, being extremely powerful at high health. When Cyndaquil falls below 80% of its fullmaximum HP, however, Fire Blast becomes the more powerful option. Hidden Power Grass is Cyndaquil's main coverage move, hitting Water-types that can take—which resist Eruption hard. Nature Power becomes Earthquake in a WiFi environment, including on simulators, meaning it is the best option to hit Houndour, Tentacool, and Ponyta.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>It should be mentioned that a Blaze-boosted Fire Blast hits harder than a full-powered Eruption, meaning Cyndaquil has a viable move even when it has been weakened. Flamethrower can't reach those levels of power, but it has perfect accuracy if that is desired. In that case, Flamethrower would be the better move over Eruption at 63% health or below. If more Speed is desired, a Timid nature could be used, though Cyndaquil prefers the extra power a Modest nature gives. Don't be tempted to lower one of Cyndaquil's defenses for Nature Power, however, as it hits its targets hard enough with an Attack-lowering nature.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil is a Pokemon that needs some team support to work well, and the main help it needs is in the form ofmainly Rapid Spin. This lets it switch in multiple times to use a full-power Eruption. Baltoy can use Rapid Spin and resists Ground- and Rock-type moves aimed at Cyndaquil, making it a good option. Staryu resists Water-type moves and has Rapid Spin as well, along with being able to take on Fire-types likesuch as Houndour well. If Rapid Spin is not desiredthese are unsatisfactory, Natu has Magic Bounce to reflect entry hazards back at the other team. Water-types and Fire-types are also problems for Cyndaquil. Chinchou can check Fire-types with Surf or Hydro Pump, and Water-types with Thunderbolt, making it a good teammate for Cyndaquil.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Cyndaquil has few good options, and the main set is easily its best option. Extrasensory can hit Tentacool for super effective damage, but Cyndaquil already has Nature Power to deal with it. Flame Charge can be used to boost Speed without resorting to using a Choice Scarf. Both sacrifice coverage options in Nature Power or Hidden Power, or reliability in Fire Blast, meaning they are lesser options.</p>

<p>Cyndaquil also has a decent physical movepool, havingwith Flame Charge, Nature Power, Flare Blitz, and Wild Charge. Sadly, it packs too little power, and Ponyta completely outclasses it outside of Nature Power.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Houndour and Ponyta are the best counters to this set. They can switch in with ease, thanks to Flash Fire and resistance to Grass-type attacks, and smack Cyndaquil with Dark Pulse or Return, respectively. However, they need to watch out for Nature Power.</p>

<p>Water-types work well since, as they resist Fire-type attacks. Slowpoke, Chinchou, and Frillish can work nicely with their good bulk, but need to watch out for Hidden Power Grass. Tentacool can handle Hidden Power, but can't take Nature Power. It has high Special Defense, making it a good choice with a little prediction.</p>

<p>Revenge killing is another option to beat Cyndaquil. Choice Scarf Gligar can outspeed and KO with Earthquake, while Meditite and Mienfoo with Eviolite can survive Eruption and KO back. Meditite does so with Drain Punch, while Mienfoo gets the KO with Fake Out followed by Drain Punch.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Cyndaquil gets Flash Fire as a Dream World ability, and at first glance, it seems like the obvious option. Sadly, it has not been released. All starting Pokemon released so far with Dream World abilitieswith Dream World abilities released so far have been level 10 and male, meaning it would likely be illegal in Little Cup if it wasere released.</p>

Add
Remove

GP Check 2/2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)