ASB After Hours: Spenstar vs. Dark Pulse! (2 vs 2 Singles)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening, and welcome to the Great Plains. Well, they were great until this rain came. Now everything's so marshy; I think I just saw a bunch of prairie Growlithe barely make it out of that patch of grass! Anyway, this terrain will play a critical role in tonight's battle between Spenstar and Dark Pulse...hey, where are they? Oh, wait, it's nighttime. Better break out the infrared goggles...Hey, this is pretty sweet! Here's all the stage information you'll need, as gathered by our team of specially-trained interns. (I wonder why they haven't come back yet...We'll have to send out a rescue team soon.)

Arena: A muddy plain that apparently just stopped raining. The ground, which was regular soil, is now mud and makes things a little slippery for Pokemon that walk. There are a few nearby rocks, but no trees, and the rocks are also wet. It's the middle of the night, so Pokemon that can't see well in the dark suffer -1 accuracy. Since there's no sun, Sunny Day will only remove the dark night effect, and will not affect attacks. Though the battlefield is wet, there's not enough water to conjure up a surf.

Summary: -1 Accuracy for Pokemon that do not see well in night, Sunny Day does nothing but remedy that effect, -1 accuracy and evasion for non-water type Pokemon who move with limbs.

Here are the rules for tonight's battle:

Spenstar says:
2Vs2, singles, DQ time is one day.
Dark Pulse says:
Switch = OK
ONE Ability
NO Items

And now, the Pokemon!

Revenankh [Grave] (Male)
Nature: Adamant (Attack increased by *; Special Attack reduced by *)
Type: Fighting/Ghost
Fighting: Fighting STAB; ignore weight restrictions of throwing/grappling moves. Superior reaction time in close quarters
Ghost: Ghost STAB; brief intangibility that nullifies Normal and Fighting-type attacks. Can move through walls for a brief period of time but must remain in motion. Superior senses in low light and inside dark buildings. Have no vision reduction in hazes.

Abilities:
Shed Skin: (Innate) This Pokemon regularly sheds its skin and any impurities contained in its body. If afflicted with a status condition, this Pokemon has a 33% chance of removing all status conditions at the end of a round.
Air Lock: (Innate) This Pokemon releases immense barometric pressure, clearing the weather in the arena and preventing the effect of weather moves and abilities from taking place.
Mummy (DW): (Innate) This Pokemon's skin has a lasting curse on it. When strucky by an opponents contact move, the curse transfers, changing the opponent's ability(ies) to Mummy for the next six (6) actions.

Stats:

HP: 100
Atk: Rank 5 (+1)
Def: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 2 (-1)
SpD: Rank 4
Spe: 65

MC: 0
DC: 0/5

Attacks:
Wrap(*)
Bide(*)
Sand Tomb(*)
Wring Out(*)
Rock Tomb(*)
Arm Thrust(*)
Mean Look(*)
Glare(*)
Shadow Punch(*)

Shadow Sneak(*)
Force Palm(*)
Curse(*)

Drain Punch(*)
Bulk Up(*)
Substitute(*)

<Staryu> [Ruby] (No Gender)
Nature: Modest (Special Attack increased by *; Attack reduced by *)
Type: Water
Water: Water STAB; Can breathe and have excellent mobility when underwater, are less capable on land unless they are entirely amphibious.

Abilities:
Natural Cure: (Innate) This Pokemon’s body has the ability to heal itself of status afflictions over time, it goes into effect six (6) actions after being inflicted with a status. In switch battles, this Pokemon heals all status effects when switched out.
Illuminate: (Can be Activated) At any point in a match this Pokemon can illuminate the area without using an action, the light is less powerful than Flash.
Analytic (DW): (Can be Enabled) If this Pokemon attacks second during an action, its attacks have two (2) more Base Attack Power.

Stats:

HP: 90
Atk: Rank 1 (-1)
Def: Rank 2
SpA: Rank 4 (+1)
SpD: Rank 2
Spe: 85

EC: 0/6

Attacks:
Tackle(*)
Harden(*)
Water Gun(*)
Rapid Spin(*)
Recover(*)
Camouflage(*)
Swift(*)

Bubblebeam(*)
Power Gem(*)
Cosmic Power(*)

Hidden Power (Fire, 7)(*)
Ice Beam(*)
Thunderbolt(*)

Darumaka(*) (trollface) (M)
Nature: Jolly (+15% speed, -1 SA, 58^2/500 = 6.7% acc. Boost)
Type: Fire
Fire: Fire STAB; immune to burn, 50% reduction in freeze chance, emit a low glow in dark places, takes additional damage if active open flames are exposed to a water attack. Superior senses in volcanic or brushfire areas.

Abilities:
Hustle: (Can Be Enabled) This Pokemon puts immense force and speed in its physical attacks, increasing the Base Attack Power of all its physical attacks by three (3), but the haste used lowers their accuracy to 80% of normal.
Inner Focus (DW): (Innate) When an opponent attempts to flinch this Pokemon, it stands firm and continues its attack. If it has another ability that would be activated by flinching, that ability activates.

Stats:

Atk: Rank 3
SpA: Rank 0 -
Spe: 58 +

EC: 0/6

Attacks:
Tackle(*)
Rollout(*)
Incinerate(*)
Rage(*)
Fire Fang(*)
Headbutt(*)
Uproar(*)
Facade(*)
Fire Punch(*)
Work Up(*)

Egg Moves:
Take Down(*)
Endure(*)
Flame Wheel(*)

TM's:
Brick Break(*)
Rock Slide(*)
U-turn(*)

Bulbasaur(*) (RageFace) (M)
Nature: Naive (+15% spe, -1 SD, 52^2/350 = 7.7% acc. increase)
Type: Grass/Poison
Grass: Grass STAB; Immunity to Leech Seed and Worry Seed. 50% reduction in status effect chance of oncoming "powder" attacks. More mobile in areas with strong natural light sources. Superior senses in tall grass and forest areas. Able to use Wrap and Bind without losing focus.
Poison: Poison STAB; immunity to Poison/Toxic, see and breath through smog/smokescreens/haze uninhibited. Able to use Wrap and Bind without losing focus. Superior senses in urban settings.

Abilities:
Overgrow: (Innate) When this Pokemon’s HP is lower than 33% (flat), the Base Attack Power of any grass attack is increased by two (2). (eg Giga Drain goes from 8 to 10, Solarbeam from 12 to 14)
Chlorophyll (DW): (Innate) During bright sunlight, this Pokemon’s cells absorb more solar energy, doubling (x2) their speed.

Stats:

Atk: Rank 2
SpA: Rank 3
SpD: Rank 2 -
Spe: 52 +

EC: 0/9

Attacks:
Tackle(*)
Growl(*)
Leech Seed(*)
Vine Whip(*)
PoisonPowder(*)
Sleep Powder(*)
Take Down(*)
Razor Leaf(*)
Sweet Scent(*)
Growth(*)

Egg Moves:
Nature Power(*)
Power Whip(*)
Giga Drain(*)

TM's
Sunny Day(*)
Hidden Power (Fire)(*)
Sludge Bomb(*)

Flow of the Match:
Spenstar sends out a Pokemon.
Dark Pulse sends out a Pokemon and gives orders.
Spenstar gives orders.
I ref (read: FAIL).
Spenstar gives orders.
Dark Pulse gives orders.
I ref (read: FAIL) again.
etc.

All right, Spenstar, call forth your first Pokemon!

Alright! Let's do this! As I plant myself firmly onto the ground to prevent myself slipping, I send out Ruby, my beloved Staryu! (nice staryu pun btw xD) Ruby had a virus last time it was out of the Poke Ball, but it Naturally Cured itself so we're all good!

PS: I'd like to make this battle quick, I need the tokens before the tourney deadline D:

Starting with the water type... This shouldn't be too hard...

Bulbasaur
Overgrow (of course)

Start off with Sunny Day - You're going to need to see in this Dark Environment, then Sleep Powder Starmie. Then use Leech Seed to gain some recovery!

Sunny Day -> Sleep Powder -> Leech Seed

Okay, go Ruby! Start the battle with momentum by hitting Bulbasaur with a powerful Ice Beam! Aim for the bud; if you're able to freeze the bud on his back, both Sleep Powder and Leech Seed will fail. Follow up by using Rapid Spin to create a gust of wind that will blow away the sleep powder! If you (IE the ref) feel you must, you may use twice the normal energy to amplify the gust of wind to make sure sleep powder gets blown away. Finish with another Ice Beam, once again aimed at the bud in an attempt to freeze. If the first ice beam does freeze Bulbasaur's bud and make sleep powder and leech seed fail, hit 'im with a Swift instead of the Rapid Spin. Keep the second Ice Beam aimed at the bud though, to amplify the freeze effect!

Ice Beam(aimed at bud)-Rapid Spin-Ice Beam(aimed at bud) (sub Rapid Spin for Swift if Ice Beam freezes Bulbasaur's bud)

Round 1 Reffing

Staryu [Ruby] (No Gender)
Nature: Modest

Stats:
Energy: 100
Boosts: none
Other: none

Nature: Naive

Stats:

Switch = OK
ONE Ability
NO Items

Round 1 Begin!

Night on the prairie. What a perfect time for a Pokemon battle! Spenstar and Dark Pulse apparently think so, as they have come here in the hopes of beating each other at, what else, Pokemon. Spenstar releases Ruby the Staryu, and Dark Pulse responds with Rageface the Bulbasaur. Let the battle begin!

Ruby deftly maneuvers through the marshy field, drawing in close enough to launch an Ice Beam at Rageface's bulb. The range is close enough that the attack not only scores a critical hit, it also freezes Rageface's bulb! Rageface is in just enough of a rage to call forth a Sunny Day, improving accuracy for everyone. Unfortunately for him, however, it's going to take a few actions for that warmth to melt the ice off his bulb.

Ruby fires off its swiftest Swift, hitting the bogged-down Rageface with some tiny baby mini-Staryu. Oh, wait, those were just stars. My bad. I should have guessed they weren't Staryu when they exploded. Anyway, Rageface tries to conjure up a Sleep Powder, but its bulb is still too frozen for it to do anything.

Ruby ends the turn by launching a second Ice Beam at Rageface, doing further damage to him but not refreezing his sensitive little bud. Rageface attempts a Leech Seed, but those seeds aren't going anywhere just yet.

The Sun will be out(?) for another 4 turns. Its minimal heat has just managed to thaw Rageface's bulb out, allowing it to use bulb-based attacks next turn.

End of Round 1

Stats:
Energy: 82

Stats:
HP: 37
Energy: 73
Other: bogged down (-1 Speed)

Ice Beam Bulbasaur’s Bud (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 24 Energy Cost: 7 [Freeze Success]
Sunny Day (Bulbasaur) [Success] Energy Cost: 10

Rapid Spin (if bulb unfrozen) / Swift (if bulb frozen) (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 9 Energy Cost: 4
Sleep Powder Staryu (Bulbasaur) [Failed] Energy Cost: 7

Ice Beam Bud (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 20 Energy Cost: 7
Leech Seed Staryu (Bulbasaur) [Failed] Energy Cost: 10

The RNG hated Dark Pulse this round. When I rolled for the freeze and the crit, the roll came up 1 twice in a row, causing them both to succeed. Your move, Spenstar!

Oh my goodness! Ruby, you are truly awesome! The sun's not making your hidden power any stronger, so let's assault the bud some more with Ice Beam! Then, finish it off with another Ice Beam! Bulbasaur will surely be gone by then, so use the remainder of the turn to channel some Cosmic Power! If Bulbasaur uses a powder move or leech seed, respond by using Rapid Spin, and put twice the energy into it so that the winds you blow with it can blow away the sleep powder!

Ice Beam-Ice Beam-Cosmic Power (if Bulbasaur uses a "powder" or leech seed, use Rapid Spin with twice the effort to blow it away, and shift actions to the right)

Edit: Hold on a second... I specifically said that sunny day does nothing but improve accuracy in the arena, due to it being nighttime. If you're counting on the "minimal" heat to thaw out bulbasaur's bulb, then it's still frozen. sorry.

Well this is a complete letdown :(

my entire strategy was relying on Bulbasaur surviving the first attack, but now I might as well give up!

...wait a second... Overgrow is now active...

Alright Rageface! Show your inner rage by launching an Overgrow Boosted Power Whip!!! after that, launch an Overgrow Boosted Giga Drain to steal some life, and finish off with Another Power Whip

if Bulbasaur's Bulb thaws out, slot Sleep Powder in before other Actions (IE, remove the last power whip, use sleep powder, then the action that would have been done instead of sleep powder, is that too confusing)

Power Whip~Giga Drain~Power Whip/Giga Drain
Slot Sleep Powder before actions the moment the bulb is unfrozen

-.-'

it's HAX I tell you, HAX!!!

(well, I guess it comes back to bite me, considering I use a confusion + Attract Froslass in UU)

regardless, I think this is meant to be done via VM or something :P

-.-'

it's HAX I tell you, HAX!!!

(well, I guess it comes back to bite me, considering I use a confusion + Attract Froslass in UU)

regardless, I think this is meant to be done via VM or something :P
Some mons LIVE on hax! Others just like having it :)

Wait what's VM? o.O

Placeholder for reffing. I can't ref tonight, and I probably can't tomorrow. Please don't kick me out; I can ref early Monday morning and give you guys a chance to post. This will hopefully be done by the tournament deadline, but no guarantees...

Regarding Sunny Day thawing Bulbasaur's bulb: I figured the energy passing through its bulb would provide a little heat, possibly melting the ice over time (I allowed Sunny Day to work because I figured energy can pass through ice, but matter can't). Mostly, though, I just wanted to make up for that ridiculous hax. Plus, Staryu can probably KO Bulbasaur this turn anyway. I thought it made sense mechanics-wise (energy and heat go together), but I can see the discrepancy.

Rules:
Switch = OK
ONE Ability
NO Items

Stats:
Energy: 82

Stats:
HP: 37
Energy: 73

Round 2 Begin!

I didn’t have time
To write flavor; so instead
I wrote this haiku

EDIT: Spenstar, on the other hand, had plenty of time and wrote this nice flavor text for me!

Despite the "sun" being out, I don't feel any warmer. What I do feel is pity for that poor Rageface. Look at him; he's shivering, frigid, after his bud just thawed. Today isn't his day... Ruby, on the other hand, is in fine condition, and looks ready to get that energy flowing! Ruby appears to be doing something straight out of exercise class: a Rapid Spin at high energy. The superfast spinning creates a wind that wouldn't do much, but the shivering Rageface whimpers in pain from it. In an effort to strike back, the Bulbasaur fires a sleep powder from his newly-thawed bud at Ruby, but the winds of the energized Rapid Spin blow the spores away!

Ruby, now ready to go on the offensive, strikes Rageface with another Ice Beam! The already cold Bulbasaur cries out in pain from the ultracold energy. Desperately, he attempts to strike back with a Power Whip, but in his pain, he loses the power to aim well and the attack misses! Mercilessly, Ruby puts Rageface out of his misery with a final Ice Beam, and the cries of pain finally go silent as Rageface faints. Before Dark Pulse could call back his fallen comrade, though, it seems the prairie Growlithe have decided to take action; they drag Rageface to a nearby fire they made to warm him up!

Round 2 End

Stats:
Energy: 60

Stats:
HP: -9
Energy: 0

Rapid Spin (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 3 Energy Cost: 6
Sleep Powder (Bulbasaur) [Failed due to Rapid Spin] Energy Cost: 7

Ice Beam (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 20 Energy Cost: 7
Power Whip (Bulbasaur) [Failed] Energy Cost: 7

Ice Beam (Staryu) [Success] Damage: 20 Energy Cost: 7

Dark Pulse, mon and actions. Sun's out for four more turns.

If I may, I see a couple things. One, the second ice beam is a consecutive move and therefore costs 2 more energy. Two, if you want, I can write the flavor and PM it to you, and all you have to do is post it over the haiku.

ugh, I got no hope now...

I'm sending in TrollFace, who will U-turn, Work up, U-turn...

guess there's not much else I can do...

Since the sun does not reduce the power of water attacks in this battlefield, start with Bubblebeam! Then I want you to use Harden to cancel out Work Up. Finish the round with another Bubblebeam!

oh! I almost forgot! Hustle is it's ability, and If I can, can I Enable it after work up? if not, just have it enabled from the start

Rules:
Switch = OK
ONE Ability
NO Items

Stats:
Energy: 60

Nature: Jolly

Stats:

Round 3 Begin!

trollface begins Round Three by Hustling to avenge the death of its teammate. Ruby responds with a powerful spray of bubbles, dealing a large amount of damage to poor little trollface. However, trollface isn’t about to give up and Hustles back with a mighty U-Turn, quickly running away from Ruby.

Ruby decides to go on the defensive and opts to Harden this turn, stiffening its scales to give it some extra armor. trollface is still annoyed at the loss of Rageface, and this gets him Worked Up into a rage that boosts his offensive prowess. The two stare (as much as a starfish can stare) each other down, bracing for the final action of this round.

Ruby moves first, launching another barrage of bubbles at the now-friendless daruma. Poor little trollface does not look happy (or healthy) after this latest attack, and, in fact looks a little slower, but he uses his Working Up and Hustling to launch a second U-Turn directly at Ruby’s Hardened body.

Three turns of Sun-like substance remain.

End Round 3

Stats:
HP: 66
Energy: 47
Boosts: +1 Def

Stats:
HP: 60
Energy: 83
Boosts: +1 Atk, +1 SpA, -1 Speed
Other:

Spenstar, you're up!

Here we go! You can do this Ruby! Just keep attacking with Bubblebeams!

Bubblebeam-Bubblebeam-Bubblebeam

edit: so glad Ruby hasn't evolved and gained a u-turn weakness yet x)

oh yeah, staryu is Mono-Water!!!

in that case, let's try a Mighty Brick Break! followed by a U-Turn, and another Brick Break!!!

of course, Hustle is still Active...

Rules:
Switch = OK
ONE Ability
NO Items

Stats:
HP: 66
Energy: 47

Stats:
HP: 60
Energy: 83
Other:

Round 4 Begin!

EDIT: Flavor!

Ruby launches yet another Bubblebeam in trollface's direction, inflicting a large wound with nothing more than some powerful bubbles. trollface is unhappy; he almost gets a rageface (poor Rageface ;_;) as he launches a Brick Break that connects with Ruby hardened scales.

Ruby wants this battle DONE and shoots off ANOTHER Bubblebeam. trollface is appalled that a Pokemon would use the same attack twice in a row and decides to teach Ruby a lesson with U-Turn. Unfortunately, trollface is Hustling so much that the attack misses!

Ruby then closes the battle with its third and final Bubblebeam. trollface looks disappointed, angry, and tired as he falls over, his health gone at last. Spenstar wins!

End Round 4

Stats:
HP: 53
Energy: 29

Stats:
HP: 0
Energy: xxxx
Other:

Spenstar and Dark Pulse get 2 TC.
Ruby, trollface, and Rageface all get 1 EC, 2 MC, and 1 DC. (Does Revenankh get any since it was never used in battle?)
Ruby gets 2 KOC.
I get 4 RC.

Good game, guys! This post will be fully updated tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)