Unfezant (Analysis)

All right, this is my first analysis, so go a bit easy on me, okay?

I also have one thing to say about Unfezant: I hate it, and I never want to see or use it in VGC again. Okay, I'm done.

QC (2/2): Alaka, Huy
GP (0/2):

Unfezant

[Overview]:
<p>Unfezant is yet another Normal/Flying type found near the beginning of the game; however, this one leaves much to be desired. It has horrible defenses, necessating the use of a Focus Sash, while its usable Attack stat is ruined by its poor offensive movepool. In the regular metagame, this doesn't add up to much; in the fast-paced VGC metagame, however, it's almost useless. Thankfully, it does have some usable traits such as access to good support moves, such as Tailwind and Hypnosis, and a good Speed stat. However, as Tornadus and Whimsicott mostly outclass Unfezant in this regard, it would be best to avoid this bird at all costs.</p>

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Tailwind
move 2: Hypnosis
move 3: Protect
move 4: Return / Pluck
item: Focus Sash
ability: Super Luck
nature: Jolly
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although its Attack stat suggests otherwise, Unfezant's role in VGC is best oriented towards supporting its teammates. Tailwind helps it improve its allies' Speed stat, allowing them to take down its opponents. Although Tornadus and Whimsicott set up Tailwind better with their Prankster ability, Unfezant also has access to Hypnosis, crippling one of its opponents if it hits, which isn't guaranteed due to its horrible accuracy. Protect keeps it safe against Fake Out leads, as well as scouting against opponents. Finally, the last slot is reserved for the obligatory STAB attacking move. While Return does more powerful and consistent damage, Pluck does Super Effective damage against the multitude of Fighting-types, as well as Amoongus, which are common sights in the VGC metagame. Additionally, Pluck has a chance of stealing an opponent's resist berry if they are wary of any Super Effective attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are oriented to give Unfezant as much speed and power as possible, while a Jolly Nature aids the bird in accomplishing its mission as fast as possible. A Choice Scarf may be used to give it even more Speed, but this only guarantees that it will not survive more than one hit.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Let's be honest, Unfezant's above moveset stretches its options as it is. Taunt is an optional idea, but then Tornadus and Whimsicott completely outclass it, while Sunny Day and Rain Dance are options to use over Tailwind, although Unfezant itself cannot benefit from this. Sky Attack in conjunction with a Power Herb gives it a powerful Flying-type attack to use, and can possibly be used in an attacking set with Return, Steel Wing, and U-Turn. Other than these options, there isn't much left for Unfezant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Any Pokemon with enough defenses or Speed and doesn't mind Taunt can be considered a counter. This includes the majority of the metagame, if not all of it. Thundurus and Terrakion, for example, outspeed and easily defeat Unfezant with little effort. Additionally, rival Tailwind users Whimsicott and Tornadus can Taunt Unfezant with Prankster, preventing it from using its own Tailwind or Taunt.</p>

Alaka

formerly Alakapimp
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Should have Tailwind on the set, that is the one of the only reasons to run him.

All right, although I'm not sure where to put it on the set...when I get input about it, I'll slash Tailwind in...I'm thinking about putting it over Hypnosis, but being able to both Taunt something and put something to sleep is kinda unique...and putting it in the fourth slot makes him vulnerable to Taunt...Also, he's outclassed by other Tailwind users such as Tornadus and Whimsicott...

Sorry about not knowing what to do, this IS my first analysis, after all...

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Definitely not over Hypnosis. That's about the only reason to use Unfezant (although Grasswhistle Whimsi is infinitely superior). Honestly, I don't think there's anything this big can do that something else can't do better. Everything else that can Tailwind is better than this and most everything that can use a sleep move like Hypnosis does it better.

Although if you want to go on with this I'd probably slash it over Taunt. Unfezant isn't going to be stopping any of the prankster mons since it doesn't get priority over Taunt. All it's Taunting is Amoonguss which is hopefully scared away by Flying STAB (though Unfezant probably can't KO anyway).

Havak

I'm the Best. You're a Towel.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd probably at least mentioned Quick Attack and Steel Wing somewhere, but as others has said, anything, and we mean absolutely anything that Unfezant can do is done better by at least one other Pokémon.

All right, edited those in...I'll be honest, Unfezant is absolutely horrible in VGC...I think even Stunfisk does better, thanks to its status moves and good bulk...

All right, I'll start...It's going to be a bit difficult due to exams and also testing Stunfisk, plus I'll be busy over the weekend...well, I'll be done by next week, hopefully...

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
Yeah, I was going to say Featherdance is a good option. Unfezant is decently fast in and out of Tailwind so it could come in handy.

Add / Capitalize
Remove / Uncap
(Comments)

Unfezant

[Overview]:
<p>Unfezant is yet another Normal/Flying type found near the beginning of the game; however unfortunately, this one leaves much to be desired. It has horrible defenses, necessitating the use of a Focus Sash, while its usable Attack stat is ruined by its poor offensive movepool. In the regular metagame, this doesn't add up to much; in the fast-paced VGC metagame, however, it's almost useless. Thankfully, it does have some usable traits such as access to good support moves, such as Tailwind and Hypnosis, (no comma) and a good Speed stat. However, as Because Tornadus and Whimsicott mostly outclass Unfezant in this regard, however, it would be best to avoid this bird at all costs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Although its Attack stat suggests otherwise, Unfezant's role in VGC is best oriented towards supporting its teammates. Tailwind helps it improve its allies' Speed stat, allowing them to take down its opponents. Although Tornadus and Whimsicott set up Tailwind better with their Prankster ability, Unfezant also has access to Hypnosis., crippling This can cripple one of its opponents if it Hypnosis hits, which though this isn't guaranteed due to its the move's horrible accuracy. Protect keeps it safe against Fake Out leads, as well as scouting against helping to scout opponents' attacks. Finally, the last slot is reserved for the obligatory STAB attacking move. While Return does more powerful and consistent damage, Pluck does super effective damage against the multitude of Fighting-types, as well as Amoonguss, which are common sights in the VGC metagame. Additionally, Pluck has a chance of stealing an opponent's resist berry if they are wary of any super effective attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are oriented to give Unfezant as much speed and power as possible, while a Jolly Nature aids the bird in accomplishing its mission as fast as possible. A Choice Scarf may be used to give it even more Speed, but this only guarantees that it will not survive more than one hit.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Let's be honest, Unfezant's above moveset stretches its options as it is. Taunt is an optional idea a possible support option, but then Tornadus and Whimsicott completely outclass it., (stop) While Sunny Day and Rain Dance are options to use over Tailwind, although Unfezant itself cannot benefit from this. Sky Attack in conjunction with a Power Herb gives it a powerful Flying-type attack to use, (no comma) and can possibly be used in an attacking set with Return, Steel Wing, and U-Turn. Other than these options, there isn't much left for Unfezant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Any Pokemon with enough defenses or Speed and that doesn't mind Taunt can be considered a counter. This includes the majority of the metagame, if not all of it. Thundurus and Terrakion, for example, outspeed and easily defeat Unfezant with little effort. Additionally, rival Tailwind users Whimsicott and Tornadus can Taunt Unfezant with Prankster, preventing it from using its own Tailwind or Taunt.</p>[/QUOTE]

What a sad, sad little bird...

1/2

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pressureflood is inactive on Smogon. So here's for the next GPer.

[Overview]

<p>Unfezant is yet another Normal/Flying type found near the beginning of the game; unfortunately, this one leaves much to be desired. It has horrible defenses, necessitating the use of a Focus Sash, while its usable Attack stat is ruined by its poor offensive movepool. In the regular metagame, this doesn't add up to much; in the fast-paced VGC metagame, however, it's almost useless. Thankfully, it does have some usable traits such as access Tailwind and Hypnosis and a good Speed stat. Because Tornadus and Whimsicott mostly outclass Unfezant in this regard, however, it would be best to avoid this bird at all costs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although its Attack stat suggests otherwise, Unfezant's role in VGC is best oriented towards supporting its teammates. Tailwind helps it improve its allies' Speed stat, allowing them to take down its opponents. Although Tornadus and Whimsicott set up Tailwind better with their Prankster ability, Unfezant also has access to Hypnosis. This can cripple one of its opponents if Hypnosis hits, though this isn't guaranteed due to the move's horrible accuracy. Protect keeps it safe against Fake Out leads, as well helping to scout opponents' attacks. Finally, the last slot is reserved for the obligatory STAB attacking move. While Return does more powerful and consistent damage, Pluck does super effective damage against the multitude of Fighting-types, as well as Amoonguss, which are common sights in the VGC metagame. Additionally, Pluck has a chance of stealing an opponent's resist berry if they are wary of any super effective attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

<p>Let's be honest, Unfezant's above moveset stretches its options as it is. Taunt is a possible support option, but then Tornadus and Whimsicott completely outclass it. While Sunny Day and Rain Dance are options to use over Tailwind, Unfezant itself cannot benefit from this. Sky Attack in conjunction with a Power Herb gives it a powerful Flying-type attack to use and can possibly be used in an attacking set with Return, Steel Wing, and U-Turn. Other than these options, there isn't much left for Unfezant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Any Pokemon with enough defenses or Speed that doesn't mind Taunt can be considered a counter. This includes the majority of the metagame, if not all of it. Thundurus and Terrakion, for example, outspeed and easily defeat Unfezant with little effort. Additionally, rival Tailwind users Whimsicott and Tornadus can Taunt Unfezant with Prankster, preventing it from using its own Tailwind or Taunt.</p>

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
remove add comments

[Overview]

<p>Unfezant is yet another Normal <space>/ <space>Flying type Pokemon found near the beginning of early in the game; unfortunately, this one leavesmuch to be desired. It has horrible defenses, necessitating the use of a Focus Sash, while its usable acceptable avoiding repetition Attack stat is ruined by its poor offensive movepool. In the regular metagame, this doesn't add up to much; in the fast-paced VGC metagame, however, it's almost useless. Thankfully, it does have some usable traits such as access Tailwind and Hypnosis and a good Speed stat. Because Tornadus and Whimsicott mostly outclass Unfezant in this regard, however, it would be best to avoid using this bird at all costs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although its Attack stat suggests otherwise, Unfezant's role in VGC is best oriented towards supporting its teammates. Tailwind helps it improve bolsters its allies' Speed stat, allowing them to take down its opponents. Although Tornadus and Whimsicott set up Tailwind better with their Prankster ability, Unfezant also has access to Hypnosis. This can cripple one of its opponents if Hypnosis hits, though this isn't guaranteed due to the move's horrible accuracy. Protect keeps it safe against from Fake Out leads, as well helping to scout opponents' attacks. Finally, the last slot is reserved for the obligatory STAB attacking move. While Return does more powerful damage isn't powerful and consistent damage, Pluck does is super effective damage against the multitude of Fighting-types, as well as Amoonguss, which are common sights in the VGC metagame. Additionally, Pluck has a chance of stealing an opponent's resist berry if they are wary of any super effective attacks carry it to withstand certain super effective attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are oriented to give Unfezant as much Speed and power as possible, while and a Jolly Nature aids the bird in accomplishing its mission as fast as possible. A Choice Scarf may be used to give it even more Speed, but this only guarantees that it will easily be KOed by a single attack. still can only take one hit with sash ._. not survive more than one hit.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Let's be honest, Unfezant's above moveset stretches its options as it is. Taunt is a possible support option, but then Tornadus and Whimsicott completely outclass it in this aspect. While Sunny Day and Rain Dance are options to use over Tailwind, Unfezant itself cannot benefit from this. Sky Attack in conjunction with a Power Herb gives it a powerful Flying-type attack to use and can possibly be used in an offensive attacking set with Return, Steel Wing, and U-turn. Other than these options, there isn't much left for Unfezant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon with enough Defense or Speed that doesn't mind Taunt can be considered a counter. This includes the majority of the metagame, if not all of it. Thundurus and Terrakion, for example, outspeed and easily defeat Unfezant with little effort. Additionally, rival Tailwind users such as Whimsicott and Tornadus can Prankster Taunt Unfezant imply that Prankster used Taunt! with Prankster, preventing it from using its own Tailwind or Taunt.</p>

Let's wrap this up

Good work, Sands. Can I stamp something I already stamped? Cuz I'm gonna stamp something I already stamped ;)

Nitpicks:
I kinda dig "leaves" more than "has" in the first sentence.
Bolsters, not bolters.
Go with "in this aspect" over "in using this move".

2/2

sandshrewz

POTATO
[Overview]

<p>Unfezant is yet another Normal / Flying type Pokemon found early in the game; unfortunately, this one leaves much to be desired. It has horrible defenses, necessitating the use of a Focus Sash, while its acceptable Attack stat is ruined by its poor offensive movepool. In the regular metagame, this doesn't add up to much; in the fast-paced VGC metagame, however, it's almost useless. Thankfully, it does have some usable traits such as access Tailwind and Hypnosis and a good Speed stat. Because Tornadus and Whimsicott mostly outclass Unfezant in this regard, however, it would be best to avoid using this bird at all costs.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Although its Attack stat suggests otherwise, Unfezant's role in VGC is best oriented towards supporting its teammates. Tailwind bolsters its allies' Speed, allowing them to take down its opponents. Although Tornadus and Whimsicott set up Tailwind better with their Prankster ability, Unfezant also has access to Hypnosis. This can cripple one of its opponents if Hypnosis hits, though this isn't guaranteed due to the move's horrible accuracy. Protect keeps it safe from Fake Out leads, as well helping to scout opponents' attacks. Finally, the last slot is reserved for the obligatory STAB attacking move. While Return does more and consistent damage, Pluck is super effective against the multitude of Fighting-types, as well as Amoonguss, which are common sights in the VGC metagame. Additionally, Pluck has a chance of stealing an opponent's resist berry if they carry it to withstand certain super effective attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are oriented to give Unfezant as much Speed and power as possible, and a Jolly Nature aids the bird in accomplishing its mission as fast as possible. A Choice Scarf may be used to give it even more Speed, but this only guarantees that it will easily be KOed by a single attack.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Let's be honest, Unfezant's above moveset stretches its options as it is. Taunt is a possible support option, but then Tornadus and Whimsicott completely outclass it in this aspect. While Sunny Day and Rain Dance are options to use over Tailwind, Unfezant itself cannot benefit from this. Sky Attack in conjunction with a Power Herb gives it a powerful Flying-type attack to use and can possibly be used in an offensive set with Return, Steel Wing, and U-turn. Other than these options, there isn't much left for Unfezant.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Any Pokemon with enough Defense or Speed that doesn't mind Taunt can be considered a counter. This includes the majority of the metagame, if not all of it. Thundurus and Terrakion, for example, outspeed and easily defeat Unfezant with little effort. Additionally, rival Tailwind users such as Whimsicott and Tornadus can Prankster Taunt Unfezant, preventing it from using its own Tailwind or Taunt.</p>

do upload this as well

Shame That

TAKE IT ALL OR LEAVE IT
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you're uploading that, you might want to add a space in between "leaves" and "much" in the first sentence. :x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)