Gallade (QC 2/3)

Gallade

(Not that good of an skeleton I know, but I suck at making bullet point analysis's, so sue me.)
[Overview]

<p>When looking at Gallade, it's odd that he isn't getting a lot of usage. Fighting STAB backed up with a great base 125 Attack is excellent, especially when combined with Psychic STAB. Gallade's movepool is top-notch, with great coverage moves like Night Slash, Stone Edge, Ice Punch, and X-Scissor, priority in the form of Shadow Sneak, and a wide range of disruptive moves like Will-O-Wisp, Thunder Wave, Destiny Bond, and Trick. Access to Swords Dance allows Gallade to act as a powerful wallbreaker and sweeper, while Bulk Up acts as a more bulky alternative, working quite well with the buff to Drain Punch. With all this, it seems odd that Gallade is seeing so little usage.</p>

<p>Sadly, Gallade has to deal with problems both new and old. Gallade's base Speed is average at best, meaning he will be outsped by a large amount of dangerous threats. Gallade's great Special Defense is heavily undermined by his medicore Defense and HP, leaving Gallade on the frail side. Gallade also faces huge competition from the other Fighting-types in the tier, namely Heracross and Cobalion. Despite all this, Gallade is still a largely useful Pokemon, and can easily be fitted on most teams.</p>

[Set]

name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Close Combat
move 3: Ice Punch
move 4: Shadow Sneak / Night Slash
item: Life Orb
nature: Adamant
evs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe

<p>With STAB Fighting and various coverage moves, Gallade can easily force a switch and set up a Swords Dance, boosting his Attack to a terrifiying 766. Close Combat is obligatory STAB, and can break through all but the bulkiest of resists. Ice Punch compliments Close Combat greatly, breaking through Gligar, Nidoqueen, Celebi, and Flying-types in general. The choice between Shadow Sneak or Night Slash depends entirely on whether you want an easier time with offense or stall. Shadow Sneak works better against offense, hitting faster Psychic-types, Mismagius, and revenge killing in a pinch. Night Slash helps with stall, breaking through the bulky Psychic- and Ghost-types like Slowbro, Cofagrigus, and Deoxys-D</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>The Speed EVs outspeed Honchkrow and 0 Speed Celebi, Attack is maxed for power, and the rest is put into HP for some bulk. A fourth attack can be used over Swords Dance for additional coverage. Zen Headbutt hits Poison- and Fighting-types, Stone Edge hits Flying-types with the exception of Gligar, X-Scissor obliterates Celebi, and Night Slash hits Ghost- and Psychic-types. It's also possible to replace Ice Punch with another of the listed attacks because Ice Punch really doesn't hit anything that the other listed moves don't with the excpetion of Gligar.</p>

<p>Gallade absolutley loves entry hazard support, especially when running Night Slash because it allows him to get an almost guranteed OHKO on Slowbro and a good chance of a OHKO on Deoxys-D with a layer of Spikes and Stealth Rock. Froslass can set up Spikes, and even stops them from being spun with its typing. Donphan can set up Stealth Rock, and can even spin away entry hazards for Forslass. U-turn and Volt Switch also work well with Gallade, being able to bounce of the walls they lure to get Gallade in safely. Jolteon is a great example of this, luring in Chansey and Registeel to Volt Switch off of them and get in Gallade, who easily forces both of them out.</p>

<p>Gallade's counters and checks really depend on what it happens to run in the last moveslot. without Night Slash, any bulky Psychic- and Ghost-type easily counter Gallade, and can either set up or burn Gallade, rendering him useless. Choice Band Heracross makes for a fantastic partner, easily switching in on the Psychic- and Ghost-types that trouble Gallade, and destroying them with Megahorn and Pursuit. Hearcross also takes advantage of Will-o-Wisp from the Ghost-types, making Heracross into even more of a wrecking ball. Without Shadow Sneak, Gallade is much more easy to revenge kill, especially by faster Psychic-types, Mismagius, and Staraptor. Houndoom makes for a great partner, being able to force Mismagius and Psychic-types into a deadly guessing game with Sucker Punch and Pursuit, and being able to destroy the bulkier Psychic- and Ghost-types. Sadly, Staraptor is much harder to play around due to the ridiculous power it brings, but playing around with resists will generally work.</p>

[Set]

name: Choice
move 1: Close Combat
move 2: Ice Punch
move 3: Zen Headbutt / X-Scissor
move 4: Trick / Night Slash
item: Choice Scarf / Choice Band
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Set Comments
  • Either hits rediculously hard with a Choice band or revenges with a Choice Scarf.
  • Close Combat is obvious STAB.
  • Ice Punch hits Flying-types.
  • Zen Headbutt hits Ghost-, Poison-, and Fighting-types. X-Scissor is an option with Choice Scarf to OHKO Celebi, but Band is content with Ice Punch.
  • Trick is great for messing up walls and screwing up Baton Pass, but Night Slash is usable if Zen Headbutt is not being used to hit Ghost- and Psychic-types.
Additional Comments
  • Adamant or Jolly work with either item. Jolly will outspeed Adamant Heracross and Nidoking, while Adamant offers more power.
  • Shadow Sneak can be used for priority with Choice Band, but Gallade has better options.
  • Depending on which Choice item you use, Gallade will require different support, but both sets will love entry hazards.
  • Choice Band will like paralysis support, meaning it won't have to worry about being outsped. Registeel can easily spread paralysis, and can even set Stealth Rock.
  • Choice Scarf, due to the lower power, will like heavy hitting teamates. Nasty Plot Azelf, Life Orb Roserade, Choice Band Escavalier, and Specs Rotom-H are just some examples.
[Set]

name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: X-Scissor
move 4: Ice Punch / Psycho Cut
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 72 Atk / 184 Spe

Set Comments
  • Can easily set up on weak special attackers due to great special bulk
  • Drain Punch offers both STAB and healing.
  • X-Scissor hits the multitude of Psychic-types roaming the tier.
  • Ice Punch hits Gligar, Nidoqueen, and Flying-types while Psycho Cut hits Fighting-types harder while still hitting Nidoqueen.
Additional Comments
  • EVs once again outspeed Honchkrow and min Speed Celebi, max HP for bulk, and the rest is put into Attack. A more bulky alternative EV spread of 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 SpDef can be used if you want to make Gallade more defensive, but this makes Gallade outsped by mnay dangerous threats.
  • Night slash is viable to hit Ghost-types harder, but they can easily take the hit and burn Gallade, rendering him useless.
  • Stone Edge can hit Flying-types harder, but offers little coverage that isn't already covered better by something else
  • Shadow Sneak is viable as priority, but the weakness of it makes it off-putting.
  • This sets lower power menas it'll be walled by more things, so having teammates that can leave gaping holes in an opponents team are welcome.
  • Despite the increased bulk of this set, Gallade will still not want to take repeated super effective attacks, especially if there coming from the physical side. Registeel makes for a great partner, taking on Flying and Ghost-type attacks with ease.
Other Options
  • Gallade has a large amount of status moves to abuse, but gets much more milage out of just smashing Pokemon's faces in.
  • Substitute takes advantage of the switches Gallade causes.
  • Trick Room can work, considering that Gallade can set it up himself, but Trikc Room lowers his coverage, and Gallade has enough trouble covering everything with 4 moves.
Checks and Counters
  • Gallade is very hard to counter due to his wide coverage and rediculous power, but he can't carry all his moves at once, so once his movepool is figured out, he becomes easier to handle.
  • Psychic-types in general handle any Gallade without X-Scissor, and Flying-types can take anything but Stone Edge and boosted Zen Headbutt.
  • Dusclops is also a major annoyance to Gallade, taking nearly every common move he has and burning with Will-O-Wisp
  • Gallade's low Speed also makes him majorly susceptiable to being revenge killed.
Dream World
  • Gallade gets Justfied for a Dream World ability.
  • While an Attack boost from getting hit by a Dark-type move may seem appealing, Gallade doesn't resist Dark-type moves, and in general, Dark-type moves are rare in UU.

A support set is worth mentioning at least in the OO since Gallade has access to Will-o-wisp, Thunder Wave, Hypnosis, and Destiny Bond. Also, Bulk Up should be listed first, it is more effective than Swords Dance.

What about SubPunch?

Gallade@Random Item
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Swords Dance / Bulk Up
move 3: Focus Punch
move 4: Shadow Sneak

chanazn: I'll do that. I really, really doubt the effectiveness of Swords Dance this generation, so it'll go to the bottom.

Paradoxus: Gallade has Close Combat. I honestly don't see what good SubPunch would do.

@Berserker Lord

Actually, with unresisted coverage, STAB on Focus Punch, no drawbacks, Priority, I think Gallade can be a pretty good SubPuncher.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Just a note: SubPunch was bad last gen, and the set was rejected iirc, so I in no way believe that it would be good this gen.

Carry on.

Needs moar Trick Room

Gallade @ Life Orb
Steadfast (Justified when released, I guess)
Brave 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Def (0 Speed IV, obviously)
- Trick Room
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch
- Taunt / Destiny Bond / Memento

Im agreeing with TobesMcGobes. Trick Room is pretty viable in today's metagame with Emboar, Rhyperior, and Aggron running around. But I think it should only be used when Justified is released, as the Speed boost can be a pretty big boon, especially with Flinch hax everywhere with Fake Out Hitmontop, ParaHax Togekiss, and Fake Out Kangaskhan.

Gallade beats Kangaskhan anyway and nobody in their right mind would stay in on Togekiss with Gallade unless TR was already up -_-

Also boon means a positive gain.

A Choice set should be included and used as the primary set

Choice sets are going to get an OO mention, and thats where they belong. Gallade's STABS are quite easy to take advantage of when he can't switch moves to hit the current Pokemon super effectively.

On Trick Room, I'll put it in OO unless any QC members want it as a set.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ice Punch probably warrants a mention somewhere. It stops Gligar from walling you forever while still nailing Zapdos for nice damage, and it can be used against Nidoqueen if you lack Zen Headbutt.

[Set]
name: The Better Bulk Up
move 3: Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Ice Punch / X-Scissor
item: Life Orb
evs: 252 Atk / 80 SpD / 176 Spe

This set works in OU, so it def works in UU. You want Life Orb and max attack not that defensive garbage. The more damage you do, the more you heal. The less HP you have, the more you heal. Pretty simple. Packs a good bit of power too.

[Set]
name: The Better Bulk Up
move 3: Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
move 4: Ice Punch
evs: 240 HP / 52 Atk / 216 SpD

This set works in OU, so it def works in UU. You want Life Orb and max attack not that defensive garbage. The more damage you do, the more you heal. The less HP you have, the more you heal. Pretty simple. Packs a good bit of power too.
This.

Shadow Sneak is worthless on a set that already boosts defense, which means this set is meant to take hits while dishing them back. Drain Punch provides survivability while Ice Punch is for coverage and Psycho Cut or Zen Headbutt is more obligatory STAB. The only thing I would change is removing X-scissor as it doesn't hit anything significantly harder besides Celebi, and after one or two Bulk Ups, Ice Punch should at minimum 2HKO. Also, Leftovers should be the primary option as it needs to stay around longer to set up. Life Orb and X-scissor are AC material at best. Also, your reasoning is wrong. UU is much different than OU, with different threats and whatnot. "This set works in OU, so it def works in UU" is not a legitimate argument for that particular EV spread. Bulk Up Gallade is meant to be a defensive and offensive threat and for that it needs defensive investment, at least more than what you have listed.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think that first set should look like this:

[Set]
move 3: Shadow Sneak
nature: Careful

Ok, First I just moved some of the moves around. Bulk Up is first because it's the main point of the set. (It is called Bulk Up after all) Drain Punch comes next because it is Gallade's primary attack, which has STAB and is a method of HP recovery. Shadow Sneak is third for useful priority. In the last slot, I swapped Stone Edge for Ice Punch, which still hits Flying-types like Staraptor, but also hits Flygon, Gligar and Hippopotas for super effective damage, which is cool. That and the perfect accuracy makes up for the power drop imo. I put X-Scissor as the second slash because it only really hits Slowbro for more immediate damage. The faster frailer Psychics such as Alakazam are handled by Shadow Sneak. It is a bit of a trade-off, but there are plenty of Grass-types such as Roserade Celebi and Shaymin which can easily handle Slowbro(king)

Leaf Blade could work too for hitting bulky waters.

Edit:

CB Staraptor does up to 200% without Reckless to Gallade after a Bulk Up. However, a +1 Ice Punch can KO Staraptor after Stealth Rock damage. So if you're mentioning a Flying-type such as Staraptor, which is a good example because it's quite popular atm, then mention that you'll need to nail it on the switch in.

Gallade does 73% - 86.5% to Alakazam with a +1 Shadow Sneak. Alakazam can only do 53.4% - 63.5% to Gallade with a Choice Specs Shadow Ball! So even if you don't KO after SR damage (Magic Guard) it won't be that big of a deal.

Gallade KO's Nasty Plot Mew with a +2 Attack Boost and Shadow Sneak. Bulky variants are a no-go because of Will-O-Wisp

I think the first set should look like this:

[Set]
move 3: Shadow Sneak
nature: Careful

Ok, First I just moved some of the moves around. Bulk Up is first because it's the main point of the set. (It is called Bulk Up after all) Drain Punch comes next because it is Gallade's primary attack, which has STAB and is a method of HP recovery. Shadow Sneak is third for useful priority. In the last slot, I swapped Stone Edge for Ice Punch, which still hits Flying-types like Staraptor, but also hits Flygon, Gligar and Hippopotas for super effective damage, which is cool. That and the perfect accuracy makes up for the power drop imo. I put X-Scissor as the second slash because it only really hits Slowbro for more immediate damage. The faster frailer Psychics such as Alakazam are handled by Shadow Sneak. Plus, with Gallade's good special Bulk, you can just stack Bulk Up until Shadow Sneak does a massive amount to bulkier Psychics like Slowbro(king) and Deoxys-D.

Leaf Blade could work too for hitting bulky waters.
Both Slowbro and Slowking will keep using Scald until you're burned and Bro has major chances of coming on top thanks to its huge bulk. I think Shadow Sneak is pretty much useless on that set and you should go with either Psycho Cut or X-scissor.

Ok, will the the Bulk Up set looking like this stasfiy everyone?

[Set]

Ok, will the the Bulk Up set looking like this stasfiy everyone?

[Set]
Yeah, no. You really (and I mean REALLY) need Shadow Sneak on Gallade. There is a large number of faster threats that Gallade can't touch without priority. Also, Ice Punch is an absolute necessity because of Togekiss.

Yeah, no. You really (and I mean REALLY) need Shadow Sneak on Gallade. There is a large number of faster threats that Gallade can't touch without priority. Also, Ice Punch is an absolute necessity because of Togekiss.
Such as? Even at +1 a non-STABed neutral Shadow Sneak isn't going to do much. Hell, +2 probably doesn't kill things that aren't weak to it.

I'd go with RaikouLover's set, Berserker Lord.

Shadow Sneak was on the OU analysis to kill things such as Gengar and Starmie, which are not in UU. The set without Shadow Sneak is more fitted to the UU metagame. However, Shadow Sneak can go in the AC.

+1 Ice Punch 2HKOes Azelf and Espeon with SR on the field so you don't need Shadow Sneak (and without boosts, SS doesn't 2HKO either so yeah...).

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shadow Sneak is nice because Gallade hasnt got any Speed investment and priority is cool. It needs a few boosts to do anything notable though. Tbh I just re arranged your set because the moves were in the wrong place, and Ice Punch > Stone Edge so I didn't really think about it. You could put something over Shadow Sneak like X-Scissor or Zen Heabutt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)