Deal With It.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Done

Thanks to Oglemi and Mooo for letting me reserve this!​

QC Approvals: 1/3 Delta 2777, 2/3 Snunch, 3/3 Oglemi
GP Approvals: 1/2 cosmicexplorer, 2/2 zdrup15
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •​

[Overview]

<p>Empoleon is the next of the DPP starters to fall into the UU tier, along with its close friend, Torterra. However, it is a fantastic Pokemon to make use of, as its well rounded stats and fantastic typing let it thrive in the UU metagame. With only three weaknesses, a massive eleven resistances, and one immunity, Empoleon's typing definitely makes it the great Pokemon that it is in UU. This, when coupled with support moves such as Stealth Rock and Roar, further increases Empoleon's viability, and it makes a great specially defensive tank. Empoleon can also go on the offensive, and with Agility, a Life Orb, and great coverage, it can do some great damage late-game. It does have a few issues, however. A lack of recovery on a defensive Pokemonis always a burden, but Empoleon can make up for this with its great Special Defense. Enjoy using Empoleon's assets, as they are very valuable in today's metagame.</p>

[SET]
name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Scald
move 3: Grass Knot / Ice Beam
move 4: Roar
item: Leftovers
ability: Torrent
nature: Calm
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Empoleon's standard defensive set is certainly a great way to use it in the UU metagame. Its huge special bulk allows it to take almost any special hit without difficulty, especially if it is one of the eleven types of attacks that Empoleon resists. Some of the threats that it can beat without trouble include Huntail, Gorebyss, Moltres, and Kingdra, all of which are easily dealt with by using a STAB Scald or just by phazing them away. The moves on the set are relatively standard. Stealth Rock is perhaps the best move in the game, as it renders what could be dangerous threats such as Charizard useless. Scald is for STAB, and if Empoleon can get a burn on a Pokemon such as Staraptor, it can be potentially game-breaking. Grass Knot and Ice Beam are both coverage moves, but Grass Knot gets the first slash as it can do well against Water- and Ground-types better than Ice Beam. However, Ice Beam does deserve some merit, as it can put huge dents into Dragon- and Grass-types, although they are not as common. Roar is perhaps the crux of the set, as it can phaze away any Pokemon that has acquired too many boosts, and Empoleon can also cause its opponent's Pokemon to take damage from Spikes and Stealth Rock.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Empoleon has a lot of versatility, and this set is reminiscent of the Pokemon itself. The EV spread for Empoleon can be tweaked in a variety of ways. Adding more Defense means that Empoleon is able to tank hits such as Staraptor's Brave Bird, although more Special Defense is perhaps the better option, as it allows Empoleon to better take on threats such as Choice Specs Kingdra. Some EVs can be added into Empoleon's Special Attack, as it allows Empoleon to secure KOs on Pokemon such as Solid Rock Rhyperior. This is outclassed, however, by the initial EV spread, as this set is more focused on tanking attacks than retaliating.</p>

<p>Empoleon can also use a huge variety of moves on this set, and all to great effect. Yawn is optional as it can send a Pokemon to sleep, while also offering the same pseudo-hazing abilities of Roar, as the opponent will almost definitely switch out unless they want one of their Pokemon to be crippled for the rest of the match. Protect is a viable option over Stealth Rock, if you already have the move elsewhere on the team, as it allows Empoleon to get extra HP from Leftovers, while easing prediction against choiced attackers. Aqua Jet can be used to finish off weaker Pokemon, such as a Choice Scarf Flygon at low HP. Scald is the better option on the whole, though, as it provides a neat burn chance that will cripple any physical attackers that Empoleon might have trouble with. Toxic is a great move on Empoleon, as it can cripple any Grass- or Water-types that will eagerly switch into Empoleon to attempt to wall it. A useful item for Empoleon is an Air Balloon, as it allows Empoleon to be a good counter to Hone Claws Flygon, and other Pokemon that rely on Ground-type attacks for coverage.</p>

<p>Unfortunately for Empoleon, a lack of recovery makes it relatively easy to force out, and it can be easily worn down over time. To begin with, most of the common Fighting-types can come in on Empoleon without much issue, and begin to fire off powerful STAB attacks or begin to set up. However, they must be wary of a burn from Scald, as this will cripple most of them. Hitmontop is perhaps the best check to this Empoleon set, as it can spin away Stealth Rock and other hazards as Empoleon switches, or it can just KO Empoleon with Close Combat. Heracross is in the same boat, and it actually appreciates a burn thanks to its Guts ability. It must beware of Ice Beam, though, as it can do some serious damage to the Bug-type. Other problematic Pokemon for Empoleon include Water-, Grass-, and Electric-types, as Empoleon cannot do much to the former two, while the latter can force Empoleon out with STAB super effective attacks.</p>

<p>To take care of the Pokemon listed above, a Flying-type is a good option to deal with the Grass- and Fighting-types. Zapdos is a great teammate, as it can deal with most Fighting-types with a simple Substitute+Toxic set, and the same goes for Grass-types such as Shaymin. Chansey is a formidable teammate, as it can beat most of the Pokemon that Empoleon has trouble with, bar bulky Fighting-types. Also, if Empoleon manages to burn one of the aforementioned Fighting-types with Scald, then Chansey will find itself much more able to wall Pokemon, as it will be forced to switch less often. A physical wall can be exceptionally helpful for Empoleon, as it will not be able to take repeated physical hits due to the lack of investment into Defense. Rhyperior is a good option, and while it shares weaknesses with Empoleon, its Solid Rock ability helps in taking Ground- and Fighting-type attacks aimed at Empoleon.</p>

[SET]
name: Agility
move 1: Agility
move 2: Hydro Pump / Surf
move 3: Ice Beam
move 4: Grass Knot
item: Life Orb
ability: Torrent
nature: Modest / Timid
evs: 40 HP / 24 Def / 252 SpA / 192 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set proves Empoleon's versatility, showcasing its offensive ability. Agility is the crux of this set, and it boosts Empoleon's Speed to great levels, allowing it to outspeed scarfed Pokemon with base 80 Speed such as Mamoswine. This means that, when Empoleon's counters are weakened or KOed, it should be able to sweep late-game with its near perfect coverage. Hydro Pump is a very powerful STAB attack, KOing Pokemon such as Azelf and Eelektross. Ice Beam gives great coverage when paired with Hydro Pump, and it allows Empoleon to take care of Grass- and Dragon-types. Finally, Grass Knot is used so that Empoleon can do some great damage to bulky Water-types, putting a dent in Suicune and OHKOing Gastrodon.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread for this set may seem rather unique, but the purpose is relatively simple. Special Attack is maximized, so that Empoleon can cause as much damage as possible, and this allows it to sweep late-game. 192 Speed EVs allow Empoleon to outspeed all positive natured base 80 Choice Scarfed Pokemon after the boost, and the other EVs are invested into bulk, as to allow Empoleon some leeway when setting up. An alternate EV spread can be used, with 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature, but it makes Empoleon's attacks noticeably weaker.</p>

<p>There are other moves that can be used on this set, but most are outclassed by the listed ones. Signal Beam can be used to get the KO on Celebi while still doing good damage to other Grass-types, but Ice Beam is generally more effective as it has the ability to KO Flygon. Substitute can be useful to ease prediction, but it means that Empoleon has to forgo its perfect coverage, and Substitute and a Life Orb really whittles down the Emperor Penguin.</p>

<p>This Empoleon set can be easily countered, but the idea is to weaken its counters before attempting a sweep. This is aided by team preview, and you should use it to your advantage when battling with Empoleon. In terms of counters, Specially Defensive Zapdos is a great example, as it takes very little from Ice Beam with significant investment. It can then KO back with Thunderbolt. Scarfed Flygon can revenge kill Empoleon even at +2 Speed, although it must be careful of switching into Ice Beam. Chansey is a complete hard counter to this set, as Empoleon will not even be able to scratch the surfaces of Chansey's obscene defenses. As such, a useful teammate is Wobbuffet, as is can easily take out fast Choice Scarfers with Counter or Mirror Coat, while it can also use Tickle on Chansey so that it can be KOed with Pursuit from Heracross or Bisharp. Pokemon that can take care of Zapdos work wonders, so Rhyperior makes a great teammate.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>As stated throughout this analysis, Empoleon is a versatile Pokemon in that it can be effective both offensively and defensively, and it can also utilize a variety of moves to its advantage. To begin with, Substitute can be used in a moveslot, as it allows Empoleon to ease prediction, while acting as a buffer against status. Without recovery, though, Empoleon will lose a lot of HP very quickly. Toxic is useful on the defensive set, as it gives Empoleon a means against bulky Water- and Grass-types that will usually counter the penguin. Yawn is also a good status move, as it can force many switches, and it has a chance to put the other Pokemon to sleep, if the opponent decides to leave it in.</p>

<p>Empoleon can also run other sets that are reasonably effective. Its average Attack stat can be useful when boosted by Swords Dance, and with Aqua Jet, it can bypass its low Speed to make a respectable sweeper. Empoleon can also utilize Choice Specs, as with Hydro Pump and Flash Cannon as dual STABs, it can do some good damage.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>To counter Empoleon, one must take advantage of its relatively weak attacks, as when unboosted, they cannot do much harm overall. Grass-types work well against Empoleon, as they resist its Water-type STAB, while taking relatively little damage from Ice Beam with enough investment. Shaymin and Celebi are both good examples, as they do not take much damage from Ice Beam thanks to their great defenses. Bulky Water-types are in the same boat, as Grass Knot will not be able to do much damage to most of them. Slowbro will be able to switch in all day long, and it can threaten a burn with Scald, which will be a nuisance to Empoleon. Fighting- and Electric-types will be able to threaten with their STAB attacks, which will often KO Empoleon. The Fighting-types must be wary of switching into Scald, though, as most of them are physical attackers, and this will really hurt their offensive prowess. Raikou is the perfect example of a counter to Empoleon, as its bulk allows it to shrug off most attacks from the defensive set, and it can set up Calm Minds or just kill off Empoleon with Thunderbolt. Dugtrio is a guaranteed kill if you can get it in safely, too.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Empoleon receives the ability Defiant from the Dream World; this is not very useful for our favorite penguin. Torrent is the preferred ability, as it means that Empoleon's Water-type attacks can really deal some damage when at low HP, but Defiant can be used on a physical set, as if Empoleon switches in on a stat drop, it can really wreak some havoc.</p>

I'm gonna jump right onto this:

Support Set
Empoleon@Leftovers
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SDef
move 2: Scald
move 3: Feather Dance / Roar / Yawn
move 4: Toxic / Aqua Jet

Sweeper Empoleon

Empoleon@Life Orb
evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
nature: Timid
move 1: Hydro Pump / Surf / Scald
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Agility / Aqua Jet

Lead Empoleon:

Empoleon@Lum Berry
evs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
nature: Timid
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Aqua Jet
move 4: Grass Knot / Ice Beam

SD Empoleon

Empoleon@ Life Orb
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Agility / Aqua Jet
move 3: Earthquake / Return
move 4: Waterfall

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for the SD set, i personally run

Empoleon@ Life Orb
nature: Adamant
ability: defiant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 def
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: aqua jet
move 3: Earthquake
move 4: drill peck

defiant lets you troll intimidate staraptor and hitmontop. drill peck lets you kil hitmontop on the switch as well as grass types such as celebi.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hitmontop has stab technician super effective Mach Punch while Staraptor has Close Combat. No, go check out my analysis for OU for some inspiration.
hitmontop is a problem, i will agree, but +3 raptor aqua jet kills hitmontop. and also

Hitmontop@Life Orb (252 EVs, +Nature) Mach Punch vs Empoleon (252/0 EVs, Neutral Nature): 68.2 ~ 80.6% (254 ~ 300 HP). assuming empoleon is faster than hitmontop, he can kill with drill peck, and take the mach punch if needed

For Lead you are better off running 252 HP/252 SAtk/4 Def or 252 SAtk/252 Atk/4 Def Modest, no point running speed EVs when taunters taunt you regardless and aqua jet bypasses the lack of speed.
And Agility Sub Petaya definitely deserves a mention.
For Support, run a spread of 252 HP/252 SDef/4 Def Calm instead of 252 HP/132 Def/124 SDef since Scald would handle physical threats and slash in Ice Beam and Grass Knot

Petaya isn't released yet so there can't be a SubPetaya set. SD is much too weak at the moment, UU in Gen V is a lot bulkier than Gen IV with Celebi, Mew, Eviolite Chansey and Snorlax here now.

I feel the default support set should be Specially Defensive with Scald since it can patch up the lack of defense investment.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Echoing that Specially Defensive is definitely getting the #1 spot. I'm not even sure if there will be any other set tbh. But, we'll figure that out.

Actually, I think putting emphasis on the Lead set could be viable as most people think that SR is uncommon now that it isn't a TM. Plus, with Aqua Jet, Torrent, and a powerful STAB move in Hydro Pump, I think Empoleon can be a fine lead.

elDino

Deal With It.
Ok guys, thanks for all the suggestions.
Can't do the skeleton until the weekend since I need to do some testing first; Empoleon is quite an important Pokemon imo.

elDino

Deal With It.
Ok, I've tested a few sets, and in the end I decided that the more offensively inclined sets are outclassed by other strong Special Attackers such as Kingdra and Gastrodon to an extent.
If QC has any different opinions, I'd be more than happy to include another set.
(This is ready for checks by the way :D)

Thanks guys!

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Give it Calm, also Empoleon is not a solid switch-in to Moltres. I thought that, til it took half my HP away, damn Specs :(

Mention Modest to give it an extra power boost, which is quite useful imo. I think the natures should go Calm / Modest, because there isn't much physical attackers that Empoleon wants to switch into (Staraptor has Close Combat)

Empoleon is the only Pokemon in UU apart from Ferroseed and Shedinja that resists Kingdra's STAB attacks (Suppose bold could be useful for that.)

Also it's a good switch-in to Gorebyss / Huntail to stop SmashPass because it can take a +2 Surf / Waterfall and phaze.

Mention that Empoleon is immune to Toxic, which gives it a great advantage over bulky waters, and is usually a decent switch in to them.

I think a specs set could work, I'm not entirely sure though.

elDino

Deal With It.
Thanks for that Mooo, changes implemented.
Also added in Dugtrio, which I strangely forgot :S

Crobat makes a good teammate, since along with Empoleon the two resist every move in Staraptor's arsenal. Same deal with Rhyperior, who's a great physical wall on his own.

Also, please PLEASE change the format. Teammates and counters doesn't cut it.

elDino

Deal With It.
I actually like the Teammates and Counters section, so that when I'm writing up the analysis, I can structure my paragraphs without difficulty. It also helps QCers to see the differences.

Ok, I've tested a few sets, and in the end I decided that the more offensively inclined sets are outclassed by other strong Special Attackers such as Kingdra and Gastrodon to an extent.
If QC has any different opinions, I'd be more than happy to include another set.
(This is ready for checks by the way :D)

Thanks guys!
Actually, Empoleon can be a lead and has Aqua Jet, higher offensive stats, most importantly, Steel-typing, so it has much more chances of switching in.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Empoleon @ Life Orb
Lots of speed and SpAtk
Modest Nature
-Agility
-Hydro Pump / Surf
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot

???

Also remove Modest slash on the SpDef set; Empoleon wants Calm.

Remove Timid and Protect as slashes from their respective sets. Modest was needed back when Empoleon could run subpetaya, its definitely needed now when Empoleon has to rely on LO. Roar is the crux of specially defensive Empoleon, and extra leftovers recovery and protection vs HJK doesnt cut it in comparison.

QC Approved 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)