Wii U

Matt Buchanan from Gizmodo said:
Nintendo's new console is called Wii U, and it's got a full touchscreen controller that looks almost like a stretched out, tabletized DS with twin analog sticks and full motion controls. It is insane. Updating live.
The controller's got a 6.2-inch touchscreen. It's got a d-pad, twin analog sticks, a front-facing camera, four shoulder buttons, accelerometers, vibration motors, and a mic. It's backward compatible with the original Wii and Wii accessories, like Wii Fit.

Nintendo showed it doing some seriously wild stuff: Attached to a gun it's acting like a sight (kind of like Silent Scope), and in another demo, held portrait-style, it was a way to flick shuriken. In another, your holding up the controller like a shield to block pirate arrows. You can basically play an entirely different game on the touch controller than everybody else is playing on the big screen. Or use it for another view of what's happening up on your TV. The possibilities do seem legit limitless. Multiplayer with Wiimotes is interesting—in one example, the touchscreen remote has a top-down view of the gaming, while everybody else plays normally with Wiimotes.

It also does video chat, it's web browser, and it mirrors photos/videos up on the TV. Nintendo's being careful to say the controller is not a portable gaming machine. All the images come from the Wii U, wirelessly transmitted.

The games they've got on the screen look roughly like current-gen Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, to give you an idea of how much power is lurking inside the Wii U console. Battlefield looks incredibly good—like Battlefield!—as does FIFA.
link

Personally, I think this looks promising, and gotta admit its name made me laugh.

Discuss.

controller is obnoxiously large

right stick is in the wrong place

probably costs upwards of $150 for the controller alone

graphics inferior to those of xbox 360, around the same at best

gimmicks, gimmicks everywhere

it looks portable but it really isn't because you have to stay near the wiiu

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS FOUR

First thing I thought of when I heard the name.

I think it looks promising but it looks just like an iPad that happens to be compatible with a Wii. Most of the launch titles look kind of decent. I'm glad it wasn't full of cheesy family garbage.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the actual CONSOLE would be revealed next year. I doubt all of that Project Cafe hype would have led up solely to this. At least it wasn't called the Wii Ni (weenie) like we thought. (Ni means two in Japan fyi.)

It looks alright, but it just disappointed me that they focused on the 3DS (which I don't plan on buying) and built all that hype up to a...controller.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that the actual CONSOLE would be revealed next year. I doubt all of that Project Cafe hype would have led up solely to this. At least it wasn't called the Wii Ni (weenie) like we thought. (Ni means two in Japan fyi.)

It looks alright, but it just disappointed me that they focused on the 3DS (which I don't plan on buying) and built all that hype up to a...controller.
There was an actual console, they just didn't talk about it. They focused on the controller itself because they thought it would be more important to talk about it than the specs of the console, which is rather plain and not-special looking.

My theory is that they have spent most of the development time working on the actual controller than the console, possibly leaving room for improvements to graphics, power usage, or cost efficiency. A year and a half isn't a lot of time to change much stuff, but it's still possible for them to make improvements.

But when the console really isn't that special the controller is the only important thing!

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
OMG Fishy that is exactly the first thing that I thought when I read the name. LOL you have know idea.

Anyway, I don't care how it turns out. As long as it comes with a new Mario, Pokemon, and Super Smash Bros game.

I've pretty much been paying attention to the nintendo E3 all day. Gotta say the controller looks interesting. It's kinda depressing that they won't have backwards capability with the gamecube though.

Why, Nintendo? Please just let us escape the Wii. Instead of coming out with an all-new HD console, they come out with an expensive piece of bulky, complicated technology designed to enhance a system that has been virtually given up on by all but the most casual of gamers.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You guys should read this. Eurogamer usually has little hype in their previews, so this seems very positive to me.

Nastyjungle

JACKED and sassy
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
The bit about the controller makes me feel a lot better. The only thing I was worried about was it being clunky and heavy. Otherwise, it looked great.

Getting hyped now!

It seems really awkward just based on the construction. As a console it seems kinda awkward to have the controls positioned so high on the system

It seems really awkward just based on the construction. As a console it seems kinda awkward to have the controls positioned so high on the system
Well, considering the fact that your very likely to move your hands up higher to compensate for the position of the controls, this really doesn't seem like a problem.

It's big, but very light and extremely comfortable to hold. A pronounced ridge across makes it easy to grip and it has that classic Nintendo rugged-plastic feel, with a matte surface. It's friendly rather than slick, and feels reassuringly familiar - the similarity now being with tablet devices, phones and portable consoles rather than a TV remote. The size is perfect for a device that will never leave the home; although we don't know what's inside it, or what its range is, we do know that the controller is useless without the base unit.
Large triggers on the back, bumpers and the twin analogue sliders are all perfectly positioned and pleasingly tactile. The d-pad and face buttons are a little more out of the way. The decision to go for 3DS-style sliders with a flat profile rather than proper analogue sticks seems odd initially; but it's probably to make them more discreet, and to be fair they don't seem to give away anything in precision.
I don't like the idea of sliders, but then again, my perception of sliders is the PSP's and I haven't had the chance to play with the 3DS's.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ha ha. Looks epic.

How much power does a console actually need? Once you can stream HD effectively, only nerds care about how much more absurdly detailed you can potentially get. It's the kind of wonkery that demands a developer who really wants to push the envelope to 100% cutscene quality play 100% of the time.

But we'll see. It looks like they've done a good job, and if they put a lot of the hardware into the controller, they'll have more space on the base unit. The cost will actually average out if the controllers are $80 and the console is only $150 or something.

Wow I didn't even think of how much of a bitch it will be to have to buy an extra/replacement controller...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)