Escavalier (Analysis)

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

GP Checks: bugmaniacbob, NixHex

Lee's Analysis

[Overview]

<p>When one looks at Escavalier, one draws obvious comparisons to the more established physical Bug- / Steel-type Scizor. While it is true that Scizor overshadows it to an extent, to dismiss Escavalier outright is a mistake. Sporting a base 135 Attack stat, it is the strongest physically offensive Bug-type, beating Scizor by five points, whilst also tying for strongest physical Steel-type, next to Metagross and Excadrill. With 70 / 105 / 105 defenses, Escavalier is actually better suited than Scizor for absorbing hits from both sides of the attacking spectrum, and can hit back hard with STAB Megahorn, which, when paired with Choice Band, has the ability to 2HKO Hippowdon and Suicune.</p>

<p>In spite of these benefits, there are reasons why the jolly old cavalier is overshadowed by Scizor. Base 20 Speed is absolutely horrid in a fast-paced metagame and the fact is that Escavalier has no form of priority or Speed boosting move to fix this. In addition, Escavalier has a shallow movepool, forcing it to resort to Normal-type and low-powered moves to remain competitive. When one chooses Escavalier, one must be sure not to treat it as Scizor; Escavalier's main goal is to punch massive holes into your opponent's front line rather than sweep or scout.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Megahorn
move 2: Pursuit
move 3: Return
move 4: Knock Off / Rock Smash / Reversal
nature: Adamant
ability: Shell Armor / Swarm
item: Choice Band
evs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice Band Scizor has a more diverse movepool to choose from, one cannot deny the sheer power Escavalier has when equipped with a Choice Band; it has the ability to punch a massive hole in many things that don't resist Megahorn and even has the ability to 2HKO many Pokemon that do. For example, 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp is always 2HKOed by it and even 252 HP / 220 Def Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn while Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit assists Escavalier with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing it if he attempts to flee. Its usefulness extends to Gengar, Deoxys-E, Alakazam, Latias, and many more. The third slot is reserved for neutral coverage, with a non-STABed Return providing coverage on most Flying- and Fire-types, notably OHKOing Thundurus with Stealth Rock in play. The fourth moveslot is Escavalier's attempt at inconveniencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Escavalier's best option against Skarmory, whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option, but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Escavalier's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Escavalier's awful Speed makes it difficult for it to effectively use this attack.<p>

<p>Before putting Escavalier on your team, you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. While Scizor has better Speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower, and U-turn, Escavalier has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Escavalier's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon filled metagame, as it can put that precious Dragon-type resistance to better use. For example, 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor is always 2HKOed by Latios's Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Escavalier, on the other hand, will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKOed by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra's rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock, and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimize residual damage, while the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun non-Gyro Ball variants of Ferrothorn who, assuming a 252 HP / 60 Def spread, will lose up to 84% of their health from Megahorn. If you would like to take better advantage of Escavalier's bulk, an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKOed by Choice Specs Latios's Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Escavalier's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only recommended if you intend on using Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams. As for ability choice, Shell Armor keeps more in line with Escavalier's great bulk; it ensures that no critical hit from a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Latios will happen. Swarm is a more offensive approach, giving Megahorn a 50% boost when Escavalier is low on health.<p>

<p>With Escavalier's greatest fear being a 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, it is best to pair it with something that can absorb such attacks. Heatran is the premier option, absorbing Fire-type attacks with Flash Fire and scaring away most Fire-types with Earth Power. Starmie is also a good choice due to its above average Special Attack, Water typing, and access to Rapid Spin. Vaporeon is a more defensively oriented partner, but the ability to recover health through Wish opens more opportunities for Escavalier to punch holes in the opponent's team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Iron Head deserves mention in that it can OHKO Terrakion, but otherwise is not recommended due to Steel's poor type coverage. Swords Dance is an option to skyrocket Escavalier's Attack, but that awful base 20 Speed makes it difficult for Escavalier to take advantage of that boost. However, under Trick Room, Escavalier will be able to break through almost anything. The last viable option is Double-Edge. While indeed more powerful than Return, the recoil compromises Escavalier's excellent bulk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best counter to Escavalier is Skarmory; even with Choice Band and Swarm, Escavalier can only hope for a 5HKO with Megahorn, which is nigh impossible given that Skarmory would simply Roost off the damage and can use the turns in between to set up layers of Spikes or wear it down with Brave Bird. Aside from that though, very little will appreciate taking Choice Band Megahorns to the stomach. Bulky Ghost-types such as Dusknoir and physically defensive Jellicent can come in on Megahorn, survive the hit, and outspeed Escavalier to inflict burn via Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>For more offensive choices, Heatran is the top choice due to its 4x resistance to Bug-typing and its Fire-type STAB to scare or roast Escavalier. Conkeldurr takes upwards of 48% damage from Megahorn, but if there are no entry hazards, it can Bulk Up and recover the damage via Drain Punch. Otherwise, prey on Escavalier's abysmal Speed and attack with a reasonably powerful Fire-type attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Escavalier's Dream World ability is Overcoat, which is practically useless. Because of its Steel typing, Escavalier is protected from sandstorm, meaning the only weather that does damage it is hail, which is rarely seen. Shell Armor's protection from critical hits or Swarm's boost to Bug-type attacks are both preferred over protection from one weather hazard.</p>

Bloo

Banned deucer.
You don't need to re-write this; it'd be a waste of your time. Lee's write-up was excellent, so I recommend using it and putting it up for GP again I suppose.

The SD set was rejected by every QC member, and I assure you it won't work in this metagame, especially when players have the option of using the superior SD Scizor; it's other options material at best. CB is definitely the best set here, and as such, should be the only one listed.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I explained to Fatecrashers but I'll pop a little note here too. I gave the Escavalier analysis to badalcristiano almost a month ago but apparently he never informed any mods of it prior to him going away on an overseas trip. I don't know if this changes anything and I don't really mind which of you guys do it but there ya go.

religiousjedi

Old man.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Bloo: Fate suggested going through QC again, but if you're sure that nothing else will be viable, I'll just move on to the write up.

Lee: really? Shoot, well, I guess I'll vm badalcristiano about it.

Fatecrashers

acta est fabula
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
right then, update Lee's write-up with English names etc and you should be pretty much sorted for Copyediting

please don't wait for badal, just get this into Copyediting and begin GP checks

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
uhh I'm pretty sure I IRC checked this with one of the mods a while back and they said that they would do it, iirc it was Colonel_M.

I am traveling atm and can't C&C now. I'll be free only starting 29th or something. So I would like to do it, but if the mods want to give it to relijiousjedi, then I guess that's fine too. Whichever is more convenient.

religiousjedi

Old man.
uhh I'm pretty sure I IRC checked this with one of the mods a while back and they said that they would do it, iirc it was Colonel_M.

I am traveling atm and can't C&C now. I'll be free only starting 29th or something. So I would like to do it, but if the mods want to give it to relijiousjedi, then I guess that's fine too. Whichever is more convenient.
Ah, well, Fate told me to finish it, so I will then since it's essentially just fixing up Lee's analysis.

Edit: and...finished.

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP Check [1/2]

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

[Overview]

<p>When one looks at Escavalier, one draws obvious comparisons to the more established physical Bug/Steel-type Scizor. And while While it is true that Scizor overshadows it to an extent, to dismiss Escavalier outright is a mistake. Sporting a Base base 135 Attack stat, it is the strongest physical attacking physically offensive Bug-type, beating Scizor by five points, whilst also tying for strongest physical Steel-type, next to Metagross and Excadrill. With 70/105/105 defenses, Escavalier is actually better suited than Scizor to for absorbing hits from both sides of the attacking spectrum,(comma) and can hit hitting back hard with STAB Megahorn, which, when paired with Choice Band, has the ability to 2HKO Hippowdon and Suicune.</p>

<p>In spite of these benefits, there are reasons why the Spartan Bug jolly old cavalier (feel free to change, but Escavalier isn't based on anything to do with Sparta and to be perfectly honest isn't really a bug either, but whatever) is overshadowed by the reigning Scizor. Base 20 Speed is absolutely horrid in a fast-paced metagame and the matter of the fact is that Escavalier has no form of priority or speed Speed stat boosting move to fix this. In addition, Escavalier has a shallow movepool, forcing it to resort to Normal-type and low-powered moves to remain competitive. When one chooses Escavalier, one must be sure not to treat it as Scizor: Escavalier's main goal is to punch a massive hole massive holes into your opponents opponent's front line rather than sweep or scout.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice Band Scizor allows for more flexibility in its has a more diverse movepool to choose from, one cannot deny the sheer power Escavalier has when attached equipped with a Choice Band; it has the ability to punch a massive hole in many things that don't resist Megahorn and even has the ability to 2HKO many Pokemon that do. For example, For example, 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp is always 2HKO'd 2HKOed by it and even 252 HP / 220 Def Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn while Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit assits assists Escavalier with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing him if he attempts to flee. It Its usefulness extends to Gengar, Deoxys-E, Alakazam, Latias,(comma) and many more. The third slot is reserved for neutral coverage, with a non-STABed Return providing coverage on most Flying- and Fire-types, notably OHKOing Thundurus with Stealth Rock in play. The fourth moveslot is Escavalier's attempt at inconveniencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Escavalier's best option against Skarmory,(comma) whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Escavalier's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Escavalier's awful speed Speed makes it difficult for him to effectively use this attack.<p>

<p>Before putting Escavalier on your team,(comma) you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. While Scizor has better speed Speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower,(comma) and U-turn, Escavalier has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Escavalier's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon-type filled metagame,(comma) as he can put that precious Dragon-type resist resistance to better use. For example, 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor is always 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Latios' Latios's Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Escavalier on the other hand will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra's Rain rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock, and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimize damage taken from residual damage while the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun non-Gyro Ball variants of Ferrothorn who, assuming a 252 HP / 60 Def spread, will lose up to 84% of its their health from Megahorn. If you would like to take better advantage of Escavalier's bulk,(comma) an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKO'd 2HKOed by Choice Specs Latios's Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Shubarugo's Escavalier's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only recommended if you intend on using him with Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams. As for ability choice, Shell Armor keeps more in line with Escavalier's great bulk; it ensures that no critical hit from a Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Latios will happen. Swarm is a more offensive approach, giving Megahorn a 50% boost when Escavalier is low on health.<p>

<p>With Escavalier's greatest fear being a 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, it is best to pair it with something that can absorb such attacks. Heatran is the premier option, absorbing Fire-type attacks with Flash Fire and scaring away most Fire-types with Earth Power. Starmie is also a good choice due to its above average Special Attack, Water typing, and access to Rapid Spin. Vaporeon is a more defensively oriented partner, but the ability to recover health through Wish opens more opportunities for Escavalier to punch more holes in the opponent's team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Iron Head deserves mention in that it can OHKO Terrakion, but otherwise is not recommended due to Steel-typing's Steel's poor type coverage. Swords Dance is an option to skyrocket Escavalier's Attack, but that awful Base 20 Speed makes it difficult for Escavalier to take advantage of that boost. However, under Trick Room, Escavalier will be able to wreack break through most almost anything. The last viable option is Double-Edge. While indeed more powerful than Return, the recoil cuts away from compromises Escavalier's excellent bulk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best counter to Escavalier is Skarmory; even with Choice Band and Swarm, Escavalier can only hope for a 5HKO with Megahorn, which is nigh-on impossible given that Skarmory would simply Roost off the damage and uses can use the turns in between to set up layers of Spikes or wear it down with Brave Bird. Aside from that though, very little will appreciate taking Choice Band Megahorns to the stomach. Bulky Ghost-types such as Dusknoir and physically defensive Jellicent can come in on Megahorn, survive the hit, and outspeed Escavalier to inflict burn via Will-o-Wisp.</p>

<p>For more offensive choices, Heatran is the top choice due to its 4x resistance to Bug-typing and its Fire-type STAB to scare or roast Escavalier. Conkledurr takes upward to upwards of 48% damage from Megahorn, but if there are no entry hazards, it can Bulk Up and recover the damage via Drain Punch. Otherwise, prey on Escavalier's abysmal Speed and attack with a reasonably powerful Fire-type attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Escavalier's Dream World ability is Overcoat, which is practically useless. Because of its Steel typing, Escavalier is protected from Sandstorm sandstorm, meaning the only weather that does damage it is Hail hail, which is rarely seen. Shell Armor's protection from Critical Hits critical hits or Swarm's boost to Bug-type attacks are both preferred over protection from one weather hazard.</p>

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here goes sumat
omit
add
comment
Cap/decap

[Overview]

<p>When one looks at Escavalier, one draws obvious comparisons to the more established physical Bug-(hyphen + space)/(space)Steel-type Scizor. While it is true that Scizor overshadows it to an extent, to dismiss Escavalier outright is a mistake. Sporting a base 135 Attack stat, it is the strongest physically offensive Bug-type, beating Scizor by five points, whilst also tying for strongest physical Steel-type, next to Metagross and Excadrill. With 70(space)/(space)105(space)/(space)105 defenses, Escavalier is actually better suited than Scizor to for absorbing hits from both sides of the attacking spectrum, and can hit back hard with STAB Megahorn, which, when paired with Choice Band, has the ability to 2HKO Hippowdon and Suicune.</p>

<p>In spite of these benefits, there are reasons why the jolly old cavalier is overshadowed by Scizor. Base 20 Speed is absolutely horrid in a fast-paced metagame and the fact is that Escavalier has no form of priority or Speed stat boosting move to fix this. In addition, Escavalier has a shallow movepool, forcing it to resort to Normal-type and low-powered moves to remain competitive. When one chooses Escavalier, one must be sure not to treat it as Scizor:;(semicolon, not colon) Escavalier's main goal is to punch massive holes into your opponent's front line rather than sweep or scout.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>While Choice Band Scizor has a more diverse movepool to choose from, one cannot deny the sheer power Escavalier has when equipped with a Choice Band; it has the ability to punch a massive hole in many things that don't resist Megahorn and even has the ability to 2HKO many Pokemon that do. For example, 252 HP / 0 Def Machamp is always 2HKOed by it and even 252 HP / 220 Def Bold Zapdos risks a 2HKO if it switches into Megahorn while Stealth Rock is in play. Pursuit assists Escavalier with countering Latios, effortlessly OHKOing him if he attempts to flee. Its usefulness extends to Gengar, Deoxys-E, Alakazam, Latias, and many more. The third slot is reserved for neutral coverage, with a non-STABed Return providing coverage on most Flying- and Fire-types, notably OHKOing Thundurus with Stealth Rock in play. The fourth moveslot is Escavalier's attempt at inconveniencing Steel-type switch-ins. As sad as it is, Knock Off is likely Escavalier's best option against Skarmory, whereas Rock Smash can be used to deal up to 50% to offensive Heatran. Reversal is a slightly more maverick option,(comma) but it has the potential to become overwhelmingly powerful as Escavalier's HP decreases. Unfortunately, Escavalier's awful Speed makes it difficult for him to effectively use this attack.<p>

<p>Before putting Escavalier on your team, you need to consider if Scizor will do a better job. While Scizor has better Speed, Technician Bullet Punch, Superpower, and U-turn, Escavalier has an immensely powerful Megahorn and better bulk, especially on the special side. The latter of Escavalier's selling points becomes even more advantageous in this Dragon-type filled metagame, as it can put that precious Dragon-type resistance to better use. For example, 248 HP / 0 SpD Scizor is always 2HKOed by Latios's Choice Specs Draco Meteor after Stealth Rock. Escavalier,(comma) on the other hand,(comma) will always survive in the same scenario even if Latios rolls maximum damage on both turns. Other advantages include never being 2HKOed by Gengar's Focus Blast even after Stealth Rock, being able to guarantee survival against a Kingdra's rain-boosted Life Orb Surf after Stealth Rock, and even surviving Timid Magnezone's Hidden Power Fire over 92% of the time.<p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>248 HP EVs minimize damage taken from residual damage,(comma) while the 4 Spe EVs are used to outrun non-Gyro Ball variants of Ferrothorn who, assuming a 252 HP / 60 Def spread, will lose up to 84% of their health from Megahorn. If you would like to take better advantage of Escavalier's bulk, an alternative spread of 248 HP / 24 Atk / 232 SpD / 4 Spe with an Adamant nature can be used. The Attack investment ensures that Pursuit will still OHKO a fleeing Latios, with the rest poured into Special Defense. Advantages of this include never being 2HKOed by Choice Specs Latios's Surf after Stealth Rock and guaranteeing survival against a Life Orb Shell Break Cloyster's Hydro Pump after Stealth Rock. Another potential tweak that could be made to Escavalier's stat spread would be using a Brave (or Sassy) nature and lowering the Speed IV to 0. This is only recommended if you intend on using him with Trick Room support or are looking for some kind of insurance against opposing Trick Room teams. As for ability choice, Shell Armor keeps more in line with Escavalier's great bulk; it ensures that no critical hit from a Choice Specs-boosted Draco Meteor from Latios will happen. Swarm is a more offensive approach, giving Megahorn a 50% boost when Escavalier is low on health.<p>

<p>With Escavalier's greatest fear being a 4x weakness to Fire-type attacks, it is best to pair it with something that can absorb such attacks. Heatran is the premier option, absorbing Fire-type attacks with Flash Fire and scaring away most Fire-types with Earth Power. Starmie is also a good choice due to its above average Special Attack, Water typing, and access to Rapid Spin. Vaporeon is a more defensively oriented partner, but the ability to recover health through Wish opens more opportunities for Escavalier to punch more (you could get rid of either "more" here as both are redundant) holes in the opponent's team.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Iron Head deserves mention in that it can OHKO Terrakion, but otherwise is not recommended due to Steel's poor type coverage. Swords Dance is an option to skyrocket Escavalier's Attack, but that awful base 20 Speed makes it difficult for Escavalier to take advantage of that boost. However, under Trick Room, Escavalier will be able to break through almost anything. The last viable option is Double-Edge. While indeed more powerful than Return, the recoil compromises Escavalier's excellent bulk.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>The best counter to Escavalier is Skarmory; even with Choice Band and Swarm, Escavalier can only hope for a 5HKO with Megahorn, which is nigh impossible given that Skarmory would simply Roost off the damage and can use the turns in between to set up layers of Spikes or wear it down with Brave Bird. Aside from that though, very little will appreciate taking Choice Band Megahorns to the stomach. Bulky Ghost-types such as Dusknoir and physically defensive Jellicent can come in on Megahorn, survive the hit, and outspeed Escavalier to inflict burn via Will-O-Wisp.</p>

<p>For more offensive choices, Heatran is the top choice due to its 4x resistance to Bug-(space)typing and its Fire-type STAB to scare or roast Escavalier. Conkledurr Conkeldurr takes upwards of 48% damage from Megahorn, but if there are no entry hazards, it can Bulk Up and recover the damage via Drain Punch. Otherwise, prey on Escavalier's abysmal Speed and attack with a reasonably powerful Fire-type attack.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Escavalier's Dream World ability is Overcoat, which is practically useless. Because of its Steel typing, Escavalier is protected from sandstorm, meaning the only weather that does damage it is hail, which is rarely seen. Shell Armor's protection from critical hits or Swarm's boost to Bug-type attacks are both preferred over protection from one weather hazard.</p>

pretty damn near perfect. Nothing really noteworthy, just fix what's there cause there isn't anything else from what i've seen triple checking it.

[GP 2/2]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)